PDA

View Full Version : Tale of the Haunted P226

ArgentFix
11-29-2018, 09:07 PM
A long, self-deprecating, pointless yarn of modification and woe...

Some time in late 2009, blissfully unaware of the problems SIG was having, I confidently bought an overpriced new P226 in .40 at Cabela's. Being a gun novice, I naturally knew everything that needed to be done. I immediately fitted Hogue grips then took the gun to my local smith and requested a "trigger job". I also bought a factory .357 SIG barrel because obviously it was the superior round but my Cabela's didn't have a .357 P226.

Perhaps I had angered the Gun Gods. Perhaps I angered the gun by wrongly assuming its caliber. But The Haunting had begun! Elusive problems, large and small, that were Probably Not The Gun's Fault (PNTGF) have followed this P226 its whole life.

Early on, the gun shot .40 fine but had several feed ramp crashes and setbacks with .357. I soon noticed the inside of the factory mags were coated with Cosmoline or similar. That couldn't have helped feeding. PNTGF. Occasionally the TDA gun behaved like a DAO. Troubling but PNTGF, my smith just overjobbed the trigger! Sent it back and got that fixed.

Somewhere along the line I also bought a semi-drop-in Bar-Sto Precision .357 barrel because I needed it. Frequent feed ramp crashes with various ammo and factory and Mec-Gar magazines. Oh well, the magazines WERE labeled .40 and this was an aftermarket barrel, so PNTGF. I've gotten out of .357 and gave this barrel to a range employee who also has a P226 in .40. Needless to say, this barrel which was custom fit to my gun and doesn't work in my gun works 100% in his.

One time the decocker spring spronged loose. PNTGF because the Hogue Grips never fit perfectly and were noticably rubbing the decocking lever. Hard primers in some cheap Independence Aluminum .40 required multiple strikes. This Never Happened With My M&P .40 (TNHWMMP) but PNTGF because it also never happened with any other ammo.

Then an ejection failure (stovepipe) with Winchester Purple .40. TNHWMMP and who knows because weird purple ammo, but this quite possibly WAS the gun's fault!

Mec-Gar magazine #4 fails to lock back on empty occasionally, and although TNHWMMP, PNTGF because I *think* it's always magazine #4.

And today, a dud primer in some Remington UMC. TNHWMMP either but PNTGF because cheap ammo and it was most definitely a dead primer.

Strangely, the gun also has a 9mm Bar-Sto conversion barrel with 1300 rounds of varying quality through it and zero problems whatsoever.

Yet somehow after 5000+ rounds and all these quirks I still want to believe it can run reliably in .40, because other than one stovepipe these problems are PNTGF! Right? It's just haunted, RIGHT?! Maybe I'll have it completely stripped down, cleaned and inspected then use only quality .40. Maybe I'll sacrifice a chicken. Maybe the gun identifies as a 9mm and I should just learn to accept it.

But whatever I do, The Haunting of the P226 was real... And I fear The Haunting will always remain!

HCountyGuy
11-29-2018, 09:35 PM
Send it to Robert Burke or Bruce Gray. They do magic and could likely unkitten the gun to a more reliable state.

Or buy a parts kit and replace all the innards. Or sell the gun and get something better.

Darth_Uno
11-30-2018, 12:06 AM
Sometimes the gun just doesn’t like you and that’s all there is to it. Sell it and move on.

I had a Romanian SAR-1, worked great for everybody else but I got constant double feeds. Only when I shot it. And yes I had shot plenty of other AK’s.

If you find yourself thinking, “I don’t have time for this s***,” you don’t.

OlongJohnson
11-30-2018, 06:25 AM
Sounds like about half ammo and half predictable issues that could have been prevented with better prep and parts selection.

Remember that purple ammo is just WWB in drag, and it’s not surprising for it to choke any gun. WWB cases are likely to be dimensionally defective in any caliber.

Sherman A. House DDS
12-01-2018, 12:26 PM
There’s a great place to go where guns like that can be taken care of...it’s called a gun show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ralph
12-01-2018, 01:23 PM
There’s a great place to go where guns like that can be taken care of...it’s called a gun show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly..I've dumped off a few problem children at gun shows..As soon as the cash was in my hand, I casually made my way to the door...

HCM
12-01-2018, 01:46 PM
A long, self-deprecating, pointless yarn of modification and woe...

Some time in late 2009, blissfully unaware of the problems SIG was having, I confidently bought an overpriced new P226 in .40 at Cabela's. Being a gun novice, I naturally knew everything that needed to be done. I immediately fitted Hogue grips then took the gun to my local smith and requested a "trigger job". I also bought a factory .357 SIG barrel because obviously it was the superior round but my Cabela's didn't have a .357 P226.

Perhaps I had angered the Gun Gods. Perhaps I angered the gun by wrongly assuming its caliber. But The Haunting had begun! Elusive problems, large and small, that were Probably Not The Gun's Fault (PNTGF) have followed this P226 its whole life.

Early on, the gun shot .40 fine but had several feed ramp crashes and setbacks with .357. I soon noticed the inside of the factory mags were coated with Cosmoline or similar. That couldn't have helped feeding. PNTGF. Occasionally the TDA gun behaved like a DAO. Troubling but PNTGF, my smith just overjobbed the trigger! Sent it back and got that fixed.

Somewhere along the line I also bought a semi-drop-in Bar-Sto Precision .357 barrel because I needed it. Frequent feed ramp crashes with various ammo and factory and Mec-Gar magazines. Oh well, the magazines WERE labeled .40 and this was an aftermarket barrel, so PNTGF. I've gotten out of .357 and gave this barrel to a range employee who also has a P226 in .40. Needless to say, this barrel which was custom fit to my gun and doesn't work in my gun works 100% in his.

One time the decocker spring spronged loose. PNTGF because the Hogue Grips never fit perfectly and were noticably rubbing the decocking lever. Hard primers in some cheap Independence Aluminum .40 required multiple strikes. This Never Happened With My M&P .40 (TNHWMMP) but PNTGF because it also never happened with any other ammo.

Then an ejection failure (stovepipe) with Winchester Purple .40. TNHWMMP and who knows because weird purple ammo, but this quite possibly WAS the gun's fault!

Mec-Gar magazine #4 fails to lock back on empty occasionally, and although TNHWMMP, PNTGF because I *think* it's always magazine #4.

And today, a dud primer in some Remington UMC. TNHWMMP either but PNTGF because cheap ammo and it was most definitely a dead primer.

Strangely, the gun also has a 9mm Bar-Sto conversion barrel with 1300 rounds of varying quality through it and zero problems whatsoever.

Yet somehow after 5000+ rounds and all these quirks I still want to believe it can run reliably in .40, because other than one stovepipe these problems are PNTGF! Right? It's just haunted, RIGHT?! Maybe I'll have it completely stripped down, cleaned and inspected then use only quality .40. Maybe I'll sacrifice a chicken. Maybe the gun identifies as a 9mm and I should just learn to accept it.

But whatever I do, The Haunting of the P226 was real... And I fear The Haunting will always remain!

The SIGs hold up to it better than most but .40 beats the hell out of guns.

Unless someone is giving you free .40 ammo just shoot it as a 9mm. As someone who was restricted to .40 at work for many years I have a barsto conversion barrel for my .40 cal P229s and it works just fine even with .40 mags.

Stipple the original grips or buy the houge G10,

buy 5x Federal Black bulk packs of 9mm before midnight tomorrow (.13 cents a round after rebate at Academy.com).

Shoot the 2500 rounds of 9mm.