PDA

View Full Version : Newbe that needs help

mlglock52
03-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Hey Guys ans Gals,

I am basically new to shooting handguns. I just turned 21 and have gone through the concealed carry class. I go to submit my paperwork near the beginning of April. I just purchased a Gen 3 Glock 19. I would say that I have shot between 3-500 rds though a handgun. All of my shooting has been stationary at a target from 6-20 yards. I know that the best thing that I can do it take a basic training class. Until then, I would like to know some good drills that I can start with. I have looked around at the drills on pistol-training, but I am not sure where to really start.

Thanks in advance
Matt

motorjon68
03-06-2012, 09:48 AM
I can't answer your question but you are using your head. Good work!

MDS
03-06-2012, 10:34 AM
As a fellow n00b, I can't claim to know the "right" answer. IMO, though, the single most important drill I do is the Wall Drill, and the more strictly I hold myself to perfection, the more it helps. Overall, I've put together a personal improvement plan (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2176-MDS-noob-to-5k) that I've been working on for most of a year now, and it's worked pretty well for me so far, if only as a general guide and to keep me focused.

Good luck, and I'll echo motorjohn68: good on you for engaging your brain instead of just hittin' the range and makin' loud noises. :cool:

JeffJ
03-06-2012, 10:51 AM
At this point in your shooting, it's possible to start ingraining bad habits. I would really look to spending some time with an instructor before you really try to put any program for improvement together. Since you'll probably want to shoot until then - I would focus on things like the wall drill in dry fire. And slow fire accuracy in live fire. Even if your grip and stance get pretty tweaked by an instructor, trigger control is something that you can work on now and should translate well. Speed and movement really shouldn't be addressed until basic marksmanship is taken care of - and those things are very dependent on a good grip and stance.

If I were you, while waiting to take a class, I would do wall drills at home. And slow-fire walk back drills on a 3x5 at the range - if the 3x5 is too small then go to something bigger, the main point is to shoot tight groups and gradually increase the distance.

barstoolguru
03-06-2012, 11:26 AM
you-tube has a lot of videos on different techniques that will get you started and give you some training ideas that you can do until you get a class in

mlglock52
03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I am planning to go shoot sometime with my friend Bill that sent me to this sight. He has been to quite a few classes and is very proficient with a pistol and techniques. I am sure he can teach me quite a bit.

Shellback
03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
In addition to what's been offered I would suggest taking a look at Surf's Youtube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf#g/u). He is a member here and he has some fantastic videos on shooting techniques, trigger manipulation, etc. Great information at a very reasonable price. ;)

mcbruzdzinski
03-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Consider downloading the U.S. Army Pistol manual as a guide. I believe it titled "ADVANCED PISTOL GUIDE" , published by the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit.

mlglock52
03-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks again for everything guys!

mlglock52
04-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Alright guys, I haven't been able to train with an instuctor yet but I have learned a lot by reading the army marksmanship manual and watching several instructional videos. A good friend of mine just lent me Magpul's The art of the dynamic handgun, Paul Rowe Tac pistol operator, travis haley adaptive handgun, and Viking tactics pistol drills part one. I have only watched the first disk in the art of the dynamic handgun and have already corrected some issues in my technique. One thing I was able to correct was my trigger pull. I was using only the lower part of the trigger. I am very excited to be learning new things everyday. This is definitely addicting. This is just the beginning for me and I hope to continue to learn more and shoot better. Thanks everyone for all the help and thanks to ToddG for this great forum and blog.

Matt