PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only guy that doesn't keep spare parts on hand?

Bigghoss
11-23-2018, 09:04 AM
I see a lot of talk about spare parts for various guns but I personally have never bothered. I subscribe to the rule of three for serious use guns so that means the gun I count on doesn't get much wear and tear and the gun that is likely to have something break only gets used at the range. So worst case is my range day gets cut short. Which it probably would anyway because I'm not going to replace an extractor or something at the range. I'm going to go home and do it at the workbench. Most of the time if I order the parts when I need them they come in and I can get them put in before the next weekend. I guess you could say I keep the spare parts assembled into a complete gun. Is spare parts on hand a good practice or more of a convenience?

Bucky
11-23-2018, 09:10 AM
I see a lot of talk about spare parts for various guns but I personally have never bothered. I subscribe to the rule of three for serious use guns so that means the gun I count on doesn't get much wear and tear and the gun that is likely to have something break only gets used at the range. So worst case is my range day gets cut short. Which it probably would anyway because I'm not going to replace an extractor or something at the range. I'm going to go home and do it at the workbench. Most of the time if I order the parts when I need them they come in and I can get them put in before the next weekend. I guess you could say I keep the spare parts assembled into a complete gun. Is spare parts on hand a good practice or more of a convenience?

Spare guns are easier to get back in the game, over spare parts. ;)

I used to keep all sorts of spare parts. It got to the point, the only thing I needed to build a 1911 was to buy a frame. Today, I only keeps spares of consumable / wear parts, like springs and locking blocks (and apparently I should get a spare CZ slide stop as well).

fatdog
11-23-2018, 09:15 AM
The armorer in me (been to several schools) always wants a "kit" on hand for my preferred platforms, but like you I am more likely to go home and make repairs for a range failure. However over the years in shooting competition, USPSA, IDPA, Cowboy, etc. that box of essential most likely to break parts has saved a match for me or many times fellow competitors when we went to the safe area and fixed it.

Also my paranoid side likes having that kit around some place and available, and not being totally dependent on a gunsmith or the availability of parts from the various suppliers.

But you are not alone in your approach, a close friend with an armory similar to mine has absolutely zero parts on hand and relies on spare/duplicate guns if his preferred defensive gun or match gun were to go down.

Kyle Reese
11-23-2018, 09:28 AM
I try to keep a spare, identically configured handgun in my range bag, to mitigate any problems that might arise from a broken training gun. The few times that I encountered a broken gun during practice sessions or training classes were enough that I felt the price of an additional handgun was worth it.

That said, I keep a spare RSA and a few spare extractors in my range bag for my Gen 5 Glock 17s, just in case.

YMMV, of course.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Duke
11-23-2018, 09:32 AM
Things you own end up owning you.....

For me that statement has always been cripplingly true

To the point where our basement was full of spares to support the garage (and 2 rooms of our home) filled with ready to run vintage and modern motorbikes.

I mean like I had boxes and cabinets full of new old stock gaskets, hard to find chassis items, new unmounted tires and fuel tanks

My bike tech at the time loved it because he never had to go look for anything.

2 of my bikes made it into magazines in the UK, as did 5 short motorbike travel articles I wrote annually.

And despite this......the whole thing was exhausting.

Bottom line.....imo the bins and bins of spare springs and such to “get guns back in action” is pretty FN silly.

Buy 2 guns or 3. Have fun and don’t worrry.

farscott
11-23-2018, 09:44 AM
For me, it depends on the gun, its usage, and where in the life cycle it is.

For carry guns which are still in mass production, I keep spare guns. I am not too concerned about parts as they are readily available and two days away. Magazines are consumables and I keep spares.

For fun guns, I like to keep spare guns and parts, especially as my fun guns are long out of production. For example, I like Ruger Standard pistols, which have been out of production since 1982. While many of the parts from the later guns fit, not all do. As such, I have spare complete grip frames and bolts. I also have spare guns put away as I shoot a lot of rimfire ammo. My usual shooter is a 1964 RST-6, and I shoot it so much I had to have it refinished as the grip frame and muzzle had no bluing and would rust on a humid day. Breakage is a fact of life with older guns, and spare parts are harder to find than spare guns. I have a broken mainspring housing assembly that needs a new bolt stop pin. As such, I tend to purchase every Standard or Mark I that I can find for less than $300 compared with the original nine-round magazines selling for $60 or a bolt assembly for $100.

Same for Remington Model 11 guns, which have been out of production since 1948. I keep spare bolt buffers, rivets, friction pieces, and recoil springs for each gun.

hufnagel
11-23-2018, 09:54 AM
Things you own end up owning you.....

For me that statement has always been cripplingly true

Brother Duke, I'm learning more about the truth of that as I slowly get older.

As for the gun thing; I feel like i should stock up on "consumable" spare bits, but in just about every case I already have a spare/duplicate gun (or more than one.)

MistWolf
11-23-2018, 10:06 AM
If you have a spare firearm, you have a spare parts kit.

Trooper224
11-23-2018, 10:13 AM
I also practice the rule of three, but I also have lots of spare parts. This isn't because I'm an accumulator, but comes instead from a lifetime of shooting, moding guns and never throwing anything away. If I've ever taken a part off of a gun, it goes into a box. If I wear one out, the salvageable parts go into a box. This habit has paid dividends over the last thirty years and saved a lot of money in the process. Using automobiles or motorbikes as an analogy isn't very accurate. You can fit a ton of gun parts in a shoe box.

Bigghoss
11-23-2018, 10:44 AM
For me, it depends on the gun, its usage, and where in the life cycle it is.

For carry guns which are still in mass production, I keep spare guns. I am not too concerned about parts as they are readily available and two days away. Magazines are consumables and I keep spares.

For fun guns, I like to keep spare guns and parts, especially as my fun guns are long out of production. For example, I like Ruger Standard pistols, which have been out of production since 1982. While many of the parts from the later guns fit, not all do. As such, I have spare complete grip frames and bolts. I also have spare guns put away as I shoot a lot of rimfire ammo. My usual shooter is a 1964 RST-6, and I shoot it so much I had to have it refinished as the grip frame and muzzle had no bluing and would rust on a humid day. Breakage is a fact of life with older guns, and spare parts are harder to find that spare guns. I have a broken mainspring housing assembly that needs a new bolt stop pin. As such, I tend to purchase every Standard or Mark I that I can find for less than $300 compared with the original nine-round magazines selling for $60 or a bolt assembly for $100.

Same for Remington Model 11 guns, which have been out of production since 1948. I keep spare bolt buffers, rivets, friction pieces, and recoil springs for each gun.

Hmm. I do have a couple Smith 3rd gens and Ruger P-series. The springs are still in production but I guess getting spare extractors and ejectors for just those might not be a bad idea. I might grab a second 4006 CHP when funds allow because I really like that gun.

I hate to admit it but I haven't been to a match yet or been to a class (other than the range training we get at work) but the plan was to bring at least two guns when I do go.

spinmove_
11-23-2018, 11:15 AM
For something like carry guns, I have 2 of what I carry and some spares of things like springs. For everything else, it’s not mission critical so I’m not too worried about it.

I’m currently in the process of making a platform change from Glock to CZ for carry and competition. I’ve got a crapload of Glock parts I never used other than maybe the RSAs. For the incoming CZs, I’ll probably have RSAs, trigger return springs, and replacement slide stops and that’s about it.

I’ll probably invest in home defense shotguns next. Probably Mossberg 500 variants. Probably have two eventually. Probably will only stock replacement springs and ejectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJ
11-23-2018, 11:19 AM
I may have to get a second G19.5.

Damn you all. :cool:

ETA: Kidding of course. A second low use Glock has always sounded like a good idea.

Darth_Uno
11-23-2018, 12:00 PM
I’ve accumulated enough Glock parts to build a complete Glock with parts left over, if I had a frame. I keep all the parts in a little tackle box that I bring to the range with me.

Keeping spare parts and even spare guns on hand is more important to guys like the majority of members here who take classes/training or shoot matches. If your gun goes down at the range, as said previously you can just pack it up and go home. If it goes down in a class, you’re screwed. I recall one class where I started to have some light primer strikes. I had enough spare parts to gut the gun and rebuild it on the spot, if I’d been so inclined. But I just switched to another gun and carried on.

There was also a shotgun class where another student’s extractor broke off on the first drill. This was also his very first time shooting that weapon, so there’s an argument for testing your weapons before bringing them to class. He shot the rest of the day with a borrowed shotgun. I myself brought 2 870’s, a 20” PD trade-in and an old 28” Wingmaster. If one went down I’d have just swapped barrels and kept at it.

Totem Polar
11-23-2018, 01:00 PM
For use guns, redundant guns makes sense. For old, collectible, or fun guns, parts, and plenty of them.

Casual Friday
11-23-2018, 01:09 PM
Spare parts to keep Glocks, AR15s, and maybe an 870 running take up such little room the space they take up shouldn't even be a consideration on whether or not you have them. If you don't feel the need or don't want to spend the cash to have them, that's fine, but don't act like because:clutter is a reasonable consideration.

Darth_Uno
11-23-2018, 01:22 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181123/890803cee94d0b21df22b49b40216b92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rex G
11-23-2018, 02:55 PM
I used to keep more spare parts on hand, than I do now. I started keeping spare mainsprings when I discovered a broken mainspring, rattling around inside the grip frame of my duty revolver, when I unholstered upon arriving at home, after a duty shift. (I also became rather religious about second guns.) I accumulated quite a few 1911 parts. Over time, I became less diligent in keeping an extensive stock of spare parts.

I have largely adopted the pair-and-a-spare ideal. One for duty/carry, one for training, and one to be kept in secure storage. In the case of the G19, I have three Gen4 G19 pistols, plus an extra, complete, upper unit. These are further backed-up by a pair of Gen4 G17 pistols. I reckon this would be a “pair-and-a-spare-plus.”

Other pairs-with-spares: 1911, SP101 2.25”, GP100, J-snubs with alloy frames.

Greg
11-23-2018, 03:04 PM
I read up on which parts fail on particular guns and I'll keep a supply on-hand "just because".

This absolutely guaranfuckingtees that none of those parts will ever break on my guns. Plus I keep spare guns :p

Hambo
11-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Am I the only guy that doesn't keep spare parts on hand?

Most people don't keep much spare anything, from light bulbs to toilet paper, so you're definitely in the majority. ;)

HopetonBrown
11-23-2018, 03:27 PM
I see a lot of talk about spare parts for various guns but I personally have never bothered...

So worst case is my range day gets cut short.

I hate to admit it but I haven't been to a match yet or been to a class (other than the range training we get at work)

When you take time off from work, pay the $525 course fee, bring ammo you had to buy, you'll start bothering.

Right now when your gun stops working, you just raise your hand and someone else fixes it for you. And you're getting paid either way so who cares.

Bigghoss
11-23-2018, 07:29 PM
When you take time off from work, pay the $525 course fee, bring ammo you had to buy, you'll start bothering.

That's why I intend to bring a second (or third) gun.

HopetonBrown
11-23-2018, 07:48 PM
That's why I intend to bring a second (or third) gun.My friend shoots an SVI. Probably not a lot of people with 3 of them. He brings spare parts.

Bigghoss
11-24-2018, 03:00 AM
My friend shoots an SVI. Probably not a lot of people with 3 of them. He brings spare parts.

When I get into it, it will be with my regular carry guns to build practical skill. Nothing against gamer 3-gunner type folks but that stuff doesn't interest me.

HopetonBrown
11-24-2018, 03:12 AM
When I get into it, it will be with my regular carry guns to build practical skill. Nothing against gamer 3-gunner type folks but that stuff doesn't interest me.Yeah, cuz like no LE or citizens anywhere carry 1911 pattern iron sighted pistols.

Guy who's never shot competively before:

"Imma gonna keep it realz dawg, duty gun from my duty rig with full power ammo. I'm going to pie every corner, only shoot to slide lock and scan and asses before every unload and show clear command."

Same guy 6 months later:

"Now that I got my Tanfo back from JJ I'm going to send my Shadow 2 to Matt Mink. And I'm really liking the Boss hanger over the Double Alpha one."

Bigghoss
11-24-2018, 06:15 AM
Yeah, cuz like no LE or citizens anywhere carry 1911 pattern iron sighted pistols.

"Imma gonna keep it realz dawg, duty gun from my duty rig with full power ammo. I'm going to pie every corner, only shoot to slide lock and scan and asses before every unload and show clear command."

Same guy 6 months later:

"Now that I got my Tanfo back from JJ I'm going to send my Shadow 2 to Matt Mink. And I'm really liking the Boss hanger over the Double Alpha one."

Dude, you're kinda coming across as a bit of a jerk right now and I really don't get why. Actually you've had that tone in every post in this thread. What gives?

rob_s
11-24-2018, 06:31 AM
Dude, you're kinda coming across as a bit of a jerk right now and I really don't get why. Actually you've had that tone in every post in this thread. What gives?

To be fair, your initial post came across as a pretty condescending humble brag, so...

HopetonBrown
11-24-2018, 06:35 AM
I'm sorry if I upset your sensibilities, I should have used emojis.

It appears that 2019 will be your PF 5 year anniversary. Maybe celebrate with an inaugural match or class. Good luck, and I look forward to the reading of your experiences.

Bigghoss
11-24-2018, 06:39 AM
To be fair, your initial post came across as a pretty condescending humble brag, so...

I didn't see it before, not at all how I meant it. I was just trying to set up the question "why do folks keep spare parts around and should I?". The spares are used beaters, btw. I'm not stacked 3 deep of Wilson combat BrigTacs or anything like that.

Duke
11-24-2018, 08:19 AM
. I'm not stacked 3 deep of Wilson combat BrigTacs or anything like that.

Are you calling me a cake eater because my spare beaters are brig tacs ?

mmc45414
11-24-2018, 08:37 AM
I have always relied on another gun, but this thread has made me think that I have been slacking about taking it along. I have been routinely shooting my 9mm SR1911 Target, and I have the same Lightweight Commander that should probably be in my bag instead of my safe. Perhaps tomorrow I will change my ways :)

Hambo
11-24-2018, 08:43 AM
I didn't see it before, not at all how I meant it. I was just trying to set up the question "why do folks keep spare parts around and should I?". The spares are used beaters, btw. I'm not stacked 3 deep of Wilson combat BrigTacs or anything like that.

As Ronald Reagan said, "There you go again."

Why do I keep spare guns/parts? Because I've had parts breakage and I'd rather not play fuck around waiting for them. Should you keep spare parts? Only if you're capable of replacing them.

For a class I take three pistols: my carry gun, my training gun, and a spare. They will be used in this order: training, spare, carry if it comes to it. I also take at least 10 mags, 2-3 holsters, and more ammo than required. At $30-40/hour for a training class I'm not wasting any of that time rebuilding a pistol. At every class I've been to there is that guy whose gun, mags, ammo, or gear shits the bed and sucks instructor time.

Parts that I have on hand consist of a small parts kit, all springs, a lot of recoil springs, a lot of magazine springs, a spare barrel and locking block, and a spare slide I got a deal on. At the rate I shoot I should be replacing springs 2x annually and locking block every 18 mos.

In part it's that I'm my own armorer support now, and in part it's that I've always liked to work on my own guns. YMMV.

Bigghoss
11-24-2018, 08:44 AM
Are you calling me a cake eater because my spare beaters are brig tacs ?

More likely you're just more focused and have your priorities straighter than I do. Or maybe you just have more money.

ST911
11-24-2018, 09:58 AM
I don't rely on guns that need a smith or a trip to the factory for repair. On hand- spare guns and spare parts, small travel kits containing most frequently replaced parts and tools.

Yeah, cuz like no LE or citizens anywhere carry 1911 pattern iron sighted pistols.

Observation in my travels: It's less than ever before, and declining.

Same guy 6 months later:

Seen it!

BehindBlueI's
11-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Unless you count maintenance items, no. I'm also of the "spare gun" mindset. I do keep magazine springs, RSAs, etc. though.

Casual Friday
11-24-2018, 10:57 AM
I was just trying to set up the question "why do folks keep spare parts around and should I?".

The "why you should" reasons have been listed several times now in this thread, but I've yet to see a "why you shouldn't" that has me even remotely thinking I could be wrong. I have a couple of plastic bins with movable dividers similar to the one below, one holds the spare parts for pistols and the other for AR and AK parts. The reason I started keeping spare parts on hand is not because one of my guns shit the bed at an inopportune moment, but in 2009ish I was at a class and one of the students had his home build go down. He had no spare parts, no spare gun, and had leave the class and make the 30 minute drive to the Cabela's in Lacey to buy a rifle off the rack so he could finish the class.

BehindBlueI's
11-24-2018, 10:58 AM

Right now when your gun stops working, you just raise your hand and someone else fixes it for you. And you're getting paid either way so who cares.

I pay my own way and, although I've yet to have a Glock or Sig poo the bed at a class, if they do I'll go to my range bag and get another one.

For a class I take three pistols: my carry gun, my training gun, and a spare. They will be used in this order: training, spare, carry if it comes to it. I also take at least 10 mags, 2-3 holsters, and more ammo than required. At $30-40/hour for a training class I'm not wasting any of that time rebuilding a pistol. At every class I've been to there is that guy whose gun, mags, ammo, or gear shits the bed and sucks instructor time.

This. Plus a squib rod. And the guy who's gun shits the bed is almost always a 1911 that "ran fine until today".

To the OP:

Unless you count maintenance items, no. I'm also of the "spare gun" mindset. I do keep magazine springs, RSAs, etc. though. Common wear/maintenance items.

Bigghoss
11-24-2018, 11:32 AM
The "why you should" reasons have been listed several times now in this thread, but I've yet to see a "why you shouldn't" that has me even remotely thinking I could be wrong. I have a couple of plastic bins with movable dividers similar to the one below, one holds the spare parts for pistols and the other for AR and AK parts. The reason I started keeping spare parts on hand is not because one of my guns shit the bed at an inopportune moment, but in 2009ish I was at a class and one of the students had his home build go down. He had no spare parts, no spare gun, and had leave the class and make the 30 minute drive to the Cabela's in Lacey to buy a rifle off the rack so he could finish the class.

The only reason I can think of NOT to is it's more stuff cluttering the apartment. Not super compelling though, especially if you have a nice organized system.

BigT
11-24-2018, 12:54 PM

Same guy 6 months later:

This is 100% factual

On topic

I keep as many spares as is possible on hand . Shit breaks , and a broken trigger spring isnt worth changing guns out from my primary to a back up at a match. Because the backup is never idehtical, even if its identical.

LSP552
11-24-2018, 01:07 PM
I keep wear items and parts that I have broken in the past or that have a reputation for breaking.

GardoneVT
11-24-2018, 01:08 PM

It depends on the gun. Common police or national heritage arms like a Glock, Sig, 1911, Beretta etc you can source parts fairly fast. In Glocks case there isn’t a brick and mortar shop in the US which doesn’t carry mags and accessories.

A Tangfoglio? 3rd Generation S&W? HK P7? Getting parts for those will be a 7-14 business day proposition, assuming said part is available in the first place.

Lost River
11-24-2018, 03:20 PM
Rather than diagnosing/replacing the chipped extractor, bad spring, improperly staked key, etc in an AR, I simply pull out the whole BCG, and slap in a brand new BCG from my parts kit and rock on. I can fiddle with the "why" later, and not screw up my day, match, class etc.

Same with Glocks.

http://i.imgur.com/5sIzPNa.jpg (https://imgur.com/5sIzPNa)

http://i.imgur.com/Oj02wUA.jpg (https://imgur.com/Oj02wUA)

Besides, if suddenly there is a run on parts due to changes in political winds, I have peace of mind.

That Guy
12-03-2018, 01:22 AM

This whole bloody thread is one long humble brag... :P

einherjarvalk
12-03-2018, 01:47 AM
Rather than diagnosing/replacing the chipped extractor, bad spring, improperly staked key, etc in an AR, I simply pull out the whole BCG, and slap in a brand new BCG from my parts kit and rock on. I can fiddle with the "why" later, and not screw up my day, match, class etc.

Same with Glocks.

(pics)

Besides, if suddenly there is a run on parts due to changes in political winds, I have peace of mind.

As someone who has just recently started to get on the "buy parts to have spares, not to build another gun" train, you have no idea how jealous those pictures make me. Hopefully I'll get my shit sorted to that degree soon. Do you label your Glock parts according to Gen? Mine are largely just tossed together under the assumption I'll be able to figure out what's Gen 4 and what's Gen 5 later.

Catshooter
12-08-2018, 11:51 PM
My weapons are too important to me to let one go down (and stay down) for lack of a part that I could have stocked beforehand.

One thing I have seen that never changes is that things change, and can do so rapidly. So I don't assume I'll always be able to get the parts I need just because I can today.

I've seen primers go from $7.50 @ thousand (and everywhere) to $35 and then to $65. All in the space of two months. Because of an asshat President wrote an open letter.

So just because Glock parts are cheap and everywhere now doesn't mean they will be tomorrow. That's how I see it anyway, and it works for me. :)

Cat

Lost River
12-16-2018, 06:09 PM
As someone who has just recently started to get on the "buy parts to have spares, not to build another gun" train, you have no idea how jealous those pictures make me. Hopefully I'll get my shit sorted to that degree soon. Do you label your Glock parts according to Gen? Mine are largely just tossed together under the assumption I'll be able to figure out what's Gen 4 and what's Gen 5 later.

I do not label my parts. That said, I don't have any Glocks newer than Gen 3, so that makes it a bit simpler logistically speaking.

I just can't seem to wear out the Gen 3s.