PDA

View Full Version : PX4 Rear Dovetail Not Symetrical

Mark D
11-21-2018, 02:26 PM
I recently swapped out the sights on my PX4.

During the process I noticed was the rear sight dovetail is not symmetrical. When viewed from the top, the dovetail is wider on the left side, narrower on the right. It makes fitting the new rear sight "interesting".

Anyone else notice this on their PX4?

HCM
11-21-2018, 06:50 PM

During the process I noticed was the rear sight dovetail is not symmetrical. When viewed from the top, the dovetail is wider on the left side, narrower on the right. It makes fitting the new rear sight "interesting".

The PX4 is not the only gin like this. All it means is sights have to be removed one way and installed one way.

LangdonTactical
11-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Almost all dovetails are tapered from one side to the other. In the case of Beretta, they are set up to install the sights from the left to the right, muzzle pointing away.

The idea is that the sight gets tighter when it is installed and centered. If you measure the sight, it is tapered as well normally.

spinmove_
11-22-2018, 03:45 PM
My CZ P-07’s rear dovetail is like this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark D
11-23-2018, 10:48 PM
Almost all dovetails are tapered from one side to the other. In the case of Beretta, they are set up to install the sights from the left to the right, muzzle pointing away.

The idea is that the sight gets tighter when it is installed and centered. If you measure the sight, it is tapered as well normally.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen.

The interesting thing about the taper on my PX4, is that it creates a "wedge fit" that significantly reduces the amount the rear sight can be drifted. My Amerigo rear is OK currently, but I have no margin for adjustment. I can't drift to the right because of the afore mentioned wedge effect, and I can't drift it to the left without it becoming sloppy and loose.

Sample size of 1. And although I've installed dozens of sights, I will acknowledge I'm not a gunsmith, so it could be a self-induced issue.