PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Glasses (Prescription)

aandries
03-05-2012, 05:21 PM
I'd like to get a pair of shooting glasses that offer great protection (wrap around), are made of a high quality material, and can be ordered in a prescription. Does anyone have a suggestion where I could go (be it online or brick & mortar store)?

I have a pair of glasses I typically wear to the range, however, they really don't offer full protection.

Thanks!

EricP
03-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Rudy Project (http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/sport-shooting-sunglasses.php), ESS (http://www.esseyepro.com/), Revision (http://www.revisionmilitary.com/products/eyewear/view-products/) and another big one I'm forgetting right now, all make prescription ready shooting glasses.

You have two options: a prescription insert, that clips into an separate set of safety glasses, or actual prescription lenses that are ground for the frames you choose.

Option 1 lets you move the insert between different lenses or glasses. That way you can have safety sunglasses and clear, or otherwise tinted, without spending a fortune on a bunch of complete sets.

Option 2 provides a larger prescription lens than the insert, but costs a lot more if you need multiple sets. Depending on your prescription, some heavily curved lenses may be impossible.

I wear glasses all the time. I would have to try them on before buying as well as to verify that I could actually buy that frame. Bring your earpro when you go to try them.

xdtact
03-05-2012, 06:46 PM
I have the ESS CDI's. They have great coverage and their rx filling service through Terry at Mountain West optical is great. You do have to buy several sets of lenses to have clear/sun glasses, but they fit me much better than the glasses that take inserts.

UNK
03-05-2012, 08:32 PM
I am on my second pair of Oakley's. I also got the lenses that darken. My last pair lasted for 3 years which was a little disappointing, but they were a discontinued model when I bought them so no parts were available for repair. The benefit is that now I only have 1 set of glasses for everything.

YVK
03-05-2012, 09:04 PM
I am on my second pair of Oakley's. I also got the lenses that darken. My last pair lasted for 3 years which was a little disappointing, but they were a discontinued model when I bought them so no parts were available for repair..

My $550 Oakley X Metal XX are being held on my head by a $10 strap, otherwise they would fall off. Oakley has been nothing but useless to help fixing it when this model was produced and more than useless to fix it when they were discontinued. Dealing with Oakley Rx customer control is one of the most frustrating things I've done. They don't handle anything on the phone and tell you to go a dealer, and dealers then have to call Oakley Central to find out that nothing can be done. As they wear out, I am replacing all my Oakleys with ESS glasses. ESS work just fine for me.

JohnN
03-06-2012, 12:37 AM
I have Rudy Projects and Smith Elite Optics and am very pleased with both.

cutter
03-06-2012, 08:59 AM
If you want to go old school, Decot Hy-Wyd http://www.sportglasses.com/ shooting glasses are great. If you are of a certain age and need bifocals or trifocals, they can make a shooting specific lens with the magnification in the right place to focus on the front sight. I have a pair with the dominate eye lens made to focus on the front sight, great for practical shooting as any way you hold your head, the sight is in focus. They say most peoples brains can adjust to the 2 different focal lens, unfortunately I am not one of them and I get a wicked headache after a full day on the range. So I will be replacing the lens with one with a bifocal on the top of the lens instead of the bottom.

I'm not a big fan of insert type corrective lenses. Too many bad experiences with them fogging up or getting covered with sweat.

MEH
03-06-2012, 09:24 AM
One thing to think about when getting a prescription lens for shooting sports is the material the lens is made. Some big name shooting glasses use mainly CR-39 (a plastic that is better than glass but not as good as other materials in terms of impact resistance). Better lenses will be made with a polycarbonate (which is the standard for protection currently). The best is Trivex (protection almost equal to poly and better acuity than poly's).

CR39 - best clarity, worst protection (well, not as bad as glass). I've heard that 98% of the glasses Decot sells are CR39
Polycarbonate - best protection, worst clarity/acuity (most eyepro marketed to mil/le uses poly although some are now using Trivex)
Trivex - very good protection and very good clarity/acuity (Rudy Impact-X is essentially Trivex)

Your local optician can put any of these in most glasses. If the frames have a large amount of curvature ask them specifically if they can make them properly as a few can't handle the wraps properly. Your local optician should also be able to put bifocal anywhere you want on the lens. If they can't or give you a hard time about it, find a new optician.

Personally, I want to see the best that I can see and use Trivex if the lens is the main lens and Trivex or CR39, if the lens is an insert.

mscott327
03-06-2012, 10:40 AM
I just got a pair made by leader. I went to my eye doctor and told her that I wanted prescription glasses for shooting. I also wanted my dominant eye set for close up 29 inches ( this is the distance from my dominant eye to the front sight of my gun at extension). My non dominant eye is set for distance. Took me a day to get used to the mono vision. It does help wearing prescription glasses.