PDA

View Full Version : Production change: Federal AE 147 FMJ (AE9FP)

ST911
11-20-2018, 01:18 PM
For your SA, I know a number of folks here use Federal AE 147 FMJ, sku AE9FP. These are from a new batch received via LE/gov vendor.

New packaging. Slightly larger tray, larger box, case packaging larger. Tray is like the Speer Lawman line. Old on top, new on bottom.

Longer cartridge OAL, bullet shape change. Compare to 147 HST in third image, L-R old, new, HST.

New headstamp. Old left, new right.

Shooting these, they spark/flash much more, are a little stouter, I perceive inconsistent charges, with a lot of erratic ejection in my G45. POI is lower. I need to shoot for better groups and get them on a chrono but I’m not too faroff base. Several hundred rounds fired.

Of the mass produced economy practice ammo AE9FP has been GTG for a long time. This recent batch is curious. The short OAL and light recoil impulse has also made this load a good benchmark for some function testing.

FYI- check your supply.

HCM
11-20-2018, 01:46 PM
I beleive there is already a thread on this.

einherjarvalk
11-20-2018, 01:55 PM
The thread this was discussed in was part of the ammo deals thread; probably best for it to have its own separate notice thread for those who aren't keeping tabs on the other one (and want comparative pictures that don't look like they were taken with a potato).

I am wondering how this new production compares to the 147 grain HST load, however. I haven't compared them myself, but the new style seems to make them a better fit dimensionally for the 147 gr HST. Maybe Federal was trying to make a practice load that felt and fed similar to the HSTs? I know I've had problems feeding the old style AE9FP in my Scorpion where Lawman 147 and HSTs fed just fine.

HCM
11-20-2018, 01:57 PM
The thread this was discussed in was part of the ammo deals thread; probably best for it to have its own separate notice thread for those who aren't keeping tabs on the other one (and want comparative pictures that don't look like they were taken with a potato).

I am wondering how this new production compares to the 147 grain HST load, however. I haven't compared them myself, but the new style seems to make them a better fit dimensionally for the 147 gr HST. Maybe Federal was trying to make a practice load that felt and fed similar to the HSTs? I know I've had problems feeding the old style AE9FP in my Scorpion where Lawman 147 and HSTs fed just fine.

Gotcha.

As noted, the new AE 147 seems to match the length and shape of the Sythtech 150 grain action pistol load. Maybe it’s a production streamlining thing ?

SeriousStudent
11-20-2018, 02:44 PM
And my two cases just arrived yesterday.......

I needed to hit the range this week anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

richiecotite
11-20-2018, 05:03 PM
The new Bullet looks a whole lot like the pulled 147 bullet an online retailer has been selling for the last few months.

Wonder if the pills I’m shooting are AE pulldowns from lots with QC issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Cid
11-20-2018, 07:28 PM
Ugh. I ordered a couple weeks ago. Just checked and it’s the new stuff. I still have some 147 Lawman I can shoot side by side this weekend.

JBP55
11-20-2018, 08:33 PM
I purchased 2 cases of the new 147 AE and shot some of it along with the older type and saw no difference in felt recoil.
I have never had any issues with AE ammunition and expect the new rounds to perform just as good.

Wayne Dobbs
11-20-2018, 09:28 PM
The new bullet looks like the old Speer 147 TMJ projectile.

El Cid
11-20-2018, 09:50 PM
The new bullet looks like the old Speer 147 TMJ projectile.

Not sure what you mean by old Speer projectile. The Speer 147 TMJ I have is shaped slightly different and has a smaller meplat.

https://i.imgur.com/XDOlcOX_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/SfvNxHg_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

WDR
11-20-2018, 10:33 PM
Not sure what you mean by old Speer projectile. The Speer 147 TMJ I have is shaped slightly different and has a smaller meplat.

https://i.imgur.com/XDOlcOX_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/SfvNxHg_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I was going to suggest comparing Lawman/CCI Blazer to the new Federal load, but someone beat me to it before I could sit down to type out a reply. It does indeed look like a slightly different bullet than the Speer 147gr TMJ... but, I believe they also have a 147 FMJ (not plated like the TMJ) they load as well. The plastic trays in the new stuff are indeed the same as CCI/Speer/Lawman packaging. I suspect we are now seeing some cross over between CCI/Speer and Federal brands and production lines. Similar to how Federal is now offering an aluminum case 115gr practice load.

The old AE9FP was good stuff, and I know the Lawman 147gr load has a reputation as a good load as well. I have recently shot a bit of the CCI Blazer aluminum cased 147gr load, and it worked well for me.

It will be interesting to see if they keep both bullet types/loads/packaging under the same part number/SKU... could make logistics a pain if someone has a gun that does not like one load or the other.

APS-PF
11-21-2018, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the info I was down to my last case of the "old" stuff. At least the new bullet profile is closer to the HST and if the load is a little hotter that would more closely duplicate the HST load. I had chronoed "old" AE147 at ~50fps slower than the 147HST in my Glock 43.

JBP55
11-21-2018, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the info I was down to my last case of the "old" stuff. At least the new bullet profile is closer to the HST and if the load is a little hotter that would more closely duplicate the HST load. I had chronoed "old" AE147 at ~50fps slower than the 147HST in my Glock 43.

The 147gr. AE and HST are both listed at the same velocity and energy level.

Tom Givens
11-21-2018, 07:56 PM
I have been through 1,000 of the new flat point load. My perception is that it is not quite as accurate as the truncated cone bullet load. I have not had any functional issues with it in a G17.

Sherman A. House DDS
11-21-2018, 08:06 PM
I have been through 1,000 of the new flat point load. My perception is that it is not quite as accurate as the truncated cone bullet load. I have not had any functional issues with it in a G17.

Nor have I in my 1.0 and 2.0 M&P’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartan1980
11-21-2018, 08:31 PM

I'd bet a six pack that they are loading the plated 147 Speer bullet as mentioned before. That's likely why it's less accurate. I've got the better part of a case of the old ammo with the actual jacketed TC bullet, then it looks like I'm loading my own. Bummer...

APS-PF
12-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Got to the range today and chrono'd "Old" 147gr AE, "New" 147gr AE and 147gr HST out of my Gen4 G26. 45 degrees and whatever elevation Richmond, VA.
Avg for 10 shots
Old AE = 894fps
New AE = 942fps
147 HST = 995fps

Old AE was ~1.5" lower @15yds compared to the others. I'm glad the New AE does have the same POI as HST.

jetfire
12-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Got to the range today and chrono'd "Old" 147gr AE, "New" 147gr AE and 147gr HST out of my Gen4 G26. 45 degrees and whatever elevation Richmond, VA.
Avg for 10 shots
Old AE = 894fps
New AE = 942fps
147 HST = 995fps

Old AE was ~1.5" lower @15yds compared to the others. I'm glad the New AE does have the same POI as HST.

It's entirely likely that someone at Federal realized that their most popular 147 grain FMJ load didn't hit to the same POI as their defensive 147.

Chuck Whitlock
12-10-2018, 01:49 PM
It's entirely likely that someone at Federal realized that their most popular 147 grain FMJ load didn't hit to the same POI as their defensive 147.

I want to say that AE used to be matched to Hydra Shok. Maybe it took them a while to transition that to HST.

jetfire
12-13-2018, 12:16 PM
I want to say that AE used to be matched to Hydra Shok. Maybe it took them a while to transition that to HST.

That would also make sense to me

Schmetallurgy
05-24-2019, 11:01 AM
I've been digging the new stuff. Regardless of velocity, it feels identical to the HST and, while not perfectly analogous, provides a more meaningful representation of function with HST at higher affordable round counts giving greater piece of mind than say an initial 200-500 rounds of HST (or 20-50rds as is far more common) to initially "prove" the gun.