PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS M2 RECALL

Vandal320
11-16-2018, 01:38 PM
For those that own a PPS M2. Saw it on Instagram. Then saw it on the WaltherForums.

https://www.waltherarms.com/recall/
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181116/f81f742949b89530b4387b7698227e1d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181116/ec85c5abe55702c2b880acc98fe247de.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Zincwarrior
11-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Oopsie...

Lon
11-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Mines gotta go back.

GJM
11-16-2018, 04:35 PM
Didn’t someone on this forum report that he dropped his and it fired?

Clusterfrack
11-16-2018, 04:55 PM
At least they’re calling it a recall. Engineering firearms isn’t as easy as some people want to think.

call_me_ski
11-16-2018, 05:16 PM
The problem is with the trigger safety. It is the only part being replaced and they don’t even need to detail strip the pistol to do it.

RJ
11-16-2018, 05:31 PM
I traded mine (it would have been in the recall, for some odd reason, I remember the S/N) about two years ago.

Fantastic shooter, very accurate, 100% reliable. It's only problem was "for me" being a lefty I disengaged the magazine a couple times while it was holstered on my belt. After it occurred to me a one-shot automatic was less than useful, I moved on to an HK P30SK.

Great gun though.

Sorry about the recall but it sounds like Walther is doing the right thing.

Balisong
11-16-2018, 07:19 PM
Bummer, but good for Walther doing what a gun company that gives a shit about its customers and public safety in general would do.

Lon
11-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Bummer, but good for Walther doing what a gun company that gives a shit about its customers and public safety in general would do.

And this is why I just ordered a P99AS and one of the reasons I won’t give Sig another dime of my money.

GJM
11-16-2018, 07:59 PM
And this is why I just ordered a P99AS and one of the reasons I won’t give Sig another dime of my money.

I agree on Sig, but I think we would know more details of who, what, when and how often to evaluate their behavior. I am also interested in NH’s comment that Walther did something with sear support on the PPQ in 2018, as they have not notified previous owners of this issue.

WOLFIE
11-18-2018, 08:14 AM
I have to send both of mine in for the recall. They are nice shooting guns for their size. I plan on buying the PPQ SC

Super77
11-18-2018, 09:52 AM
I agree on Sig, but I think we would know more details of who, what, when and how often to evaluate their behavior. I am also interested in NH’s comment that Walther did something with sear support on the PPQ in 2018, as they have not notified previous owners of this issue.

Got a link to that sear support discussion? I can’t seem to find it

mrozowjj
11-21-2018, 01:08 AM
Mine is included on the recall. I did the form got a label and dropped it off at Fedex on Saturday. Tracking says Walther got it Monday and I got notification today that they are already done with it and mailing it back to me. The tracking number they gave me says it's going to get here friday. That's a crazy good turn around time. To say I am impressed would be an understatement.

NH Shooter
11-21-2018, 06:32 AM
I am also interested in NH’s comment that Walther did something with sear support on the PPQ in 2018, as they have not notified previous owners of this issue.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/91714-ppq-trigger-issue-resolved.html

Increased sear engagement to prevent striker release due to impact, but at the cost of some detectable creep. This is the bar used in my 5-inch M1 purchased earlier this year - I can NOT get the striker to release even hitting the pistol so hard with a rubber mallet that I send it flying. As a carry piece I'm keeping it this way.

Out of the box new, the trigger pull was horrendous. The trouble is a poorly-finished trigger bar where it cams the striker block plunger up into the firing position, and at the rear of the bar where it engages the sear assembly. Through normal use these areas smooth out, but the process can be expedited with some gentle burnishing of the surfaces and the application of lubricant. I can still deliberately induce creep at the wall with a painfully slow Bullseye squeeze, but short of that it now breaks cleanly.

WOLFIE
11-22-2018, 12:45 PM
Mine is included on the recall. I did the form got a label and dropped it off at Fedex on Saturday. Tracking says Walther got it Monday and I got notification today that they are already done with it and mailing it back to me. The tracking number they gave me says it's going to get here friday. That's a crazy good turn around time. To say I am impressed would be an understatement.

Did you receive the shipping label with the first email reply from Walther? I got a confirmation email but i cannot find a shipping label the last 4 times i looked.

M2CattleCo
11-22-2018, 01:04 PM
The single action strikers aren't panning out.

oldtexan
11-22-2018, 03:58 PM
Did you receive the shipping label with the first email reply from Walther? I got a confirmation email but i cannot find a shipping label the last 4 times i looked.

I have had the same experience. No shipping label appeared with the confirmation email that Walther sent me after I filled out the online recall form. I responded to that email with a request for a shipping label, but have received no response from Walther. Called and left a voice msg requesting a label but got no response to that either.

mrozowjj
11-22-2018, 04:49 PM

The shipping label didn't come in the email it was on the website. After I filled out the form I was taken to a page that had a small button to click that let me print the label. It was not very intuitive. That said Walther was very quick to email me when I asked them questions so were I you I'd email them and ask them about the label.

I emailed them Friday because the website said to remove all after market parts and I wanted to know if I was gonna have to pull the sights off my gun. I emailed them and heard back in a few hours that no need to remove the sights they just wanted me to send just the gun, no lights lasers, mags, etc so that's what I did, just the gun in a soft case I don't care if I ever see again wrapped in bubble wrap stuffed in a Medium sized Fedex Express shipping box.

mrozowjj
11-22-2018, 04:53 PM
I have had the same experience. No shipping label appeared with the confirmation email that Walther sent me after I filled out the online recall form. I responded to that email with a request for a shipping label, but have received no response from Walther. Called and left a voice msg requesting a label but got no response to that either.

Like I told Wolfie it wasn't in the email it was on the page where you fill out the form to request the label.

BJXDS
11-22-2018, 09:55 PM
What does the recall do?
Why do some need the recall and others do not?

I have been unable to get any specifics at this point.

If you had the recall completed was there any difference in trigger pull?

StraitR
11-22-2018, 10:09 PM
What does the recall do?
Why do some need the recall and others do not?

I have been unable to get any specifics at this point.

If you had the recall completed was there any difference in trigger pull?

Have you read the Walther recall information page (https://www.waltherarms.com/recall/#)? It addresses two of your three questions. As to "why some and not others", I don't believe anyone knows, specifically, at least for now.

"Walther Arms, Inc. has recently discovered a potential safety issue with certain PPS M2 pistols. Walther is voluntarily initiating a recall to protect the safety of its customers because under certain conditions it is possible that some of these pistols may fire when dropped."

The recall was announced four days ago (Nov 18th), so nobody has had the recall completed. Per Walther, the lead time is 6-8 weeks from the date of receipt.

BJXDS
11-23-2018, 09:15 AM
Have you read the Walther recall information page (https://www.waltherarms.com/recall/#)? It addresses two of your three questions. As to "why some and not others", I don't believe anyone knows, specifically, at least for now.

"Walther Arms, Inc. has recently discovered a potential safety issue with certain PPS M2 pistols. Walther is voluntarily initiating a recall to protect the safety of its customers because under certain conditions it is possible that some of these pistols may fire when dropped."

The recall was announced four days ago (Nov 18th), so nobody has had the recall completed. Per Walther, the lead time is 6-8 weeks from the date of receipt.

Yes, I did read the recall. I understand the recall/upgrade/repair is to repair a potential safety issue. I should have been more specific with my question. I wanted to know if anyone knew specifically why some pistols were drop safe and others were not, and what was done to make the non drop safe pistols, now drop safe?

I read on another, what I consider credible forum, that some one had a pistol returned from the recall in about a week, and wanted to know by chance if anyone from PF had one returned as well.

When/if I receive specific credible information from Walther I will update, but thanks for providing the link to the Walther recall.

call_me_ski
11-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Yes, I did read the recall. I understand the recall/upgrade/repair is to repair a potential safety issue. I should have been more specific with my question. I wanted to know if anyone knew specifically why some pistols were drop safe and others were not, and what was done to make the non drop safe pistols, now drop safe?

I read on another, what I consider credible forum, that some one had a pistol returned from the recall in about a week, and wanted to know by chance if anyone from PF had one returned as well.

When/if I receive specific credible information from Walther I will update, but thanks for providing the link to the Walther recall.

The only part being changed is the trigger safety on the trigger shoe. The fix takes about a minute and they don’t even need to field strip the guns. The 6-8 weeks is a way for Walther to cover their ass should they get all the guns back simultaneously. Other are reporting much faster turn around a and some have already had shipping confirmation of the gun being on the way back.

call_me_ski
11-23-2018, 11:13 AM

The only part being changed is the trigger safety on the trigger shoe. The fix takes about a minute and they don’t even need to field strip the guns. The 6-8 weeks is a way for Walther to cover their ass should they get all the guns back simultaneously. Other are reporting much faster turn around a and some have already had shipping confirmation of the gun being on the way back.

mrozowjj
11-23-2018, 07:50 PM
I got my PPS back this morning. I can't tell if there is much if anything different in the trigger pull. Either way a week is pretty damn good turn around time considering it is a holiday week.

oldtexan
11-25-2018, 08:57 AM
Like I told Wolfie it wasn't in the email it was on the page where you fill out the form to request the label.

Thanks.

Chuck Whitlock
12-12-2018, 05:40 PM
My wife's primary PPS M2 was affected by this recall. Shipped out via 2nd day on 11/29. Cost ~$5 for the medium box and a roll of bubble wrap. Received back via 2nd day @1630 on 12/12. Got a new chamber flag, too. I'm very pleased with Walther's handling of the whole deal.

Donald717
12-18-2018, 03:07 PM
I'm very impressed with the turnaround time and how Walther handled promoting the recall.

gringop
12-19-2018, 11:17 PM
Academy has PPS M2s for sale at $299. I ran over an picked one up on my lunch break. Merry Christmas to me!

This one is not subject to the recall.

Gringop