PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Tip No. 253 Fear Not The Rock!

NETim
11-14-2018, 06:16 PM
If you're like me, you look at your pile of 248 bazillion hard to come by (ahem) 9mm brass and wonder if that will be enough. You hate to toss any brass into the scrap heap knowing it's just so difficult to obtain. (ahem)

I get a fair amount of my brass from the local range, which is covered with pea gravel. Pea gravel likes to hide out in 9mm brass. Sometimes it doesn't come out. I have found that if I invert the brass, rotate it in my fingers while pinching it lightly with my Leatherman pliers, those rocks will fall out most all the time.

JAD
11-24-2018, 09:31 AM
If you're like me, you look at your pile of 248 bazillion hard to come by (ahem) 9mm brass and wonder if that will be enough. You hate to toss any brass into the scrap heap knowing it's just so difficult to obtain. (ahem)

I get a fair amount of my brass from the local range, which is covered with pea gravel. Pea gravel likes to hide out in 9mm brass. Sometimes it doesn't come out. I have found that if I invert the brass, rotate it in my fingers while pinching it lightly with my Leatherman pliers, those rocks will fall out most all the time.
Thunder ranch in TX used to have gravel that perfectly fit into a .45 case. I used to beat the hell out of my brass after tumbling to try to get the rocks out. I still would go through 3 or 4 decapping pins after a trip down.

Clusterfrack
11-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Two words: Squirrel Daddy

Decapping pins on Amazon.

ranger
11-24-2018, 10:38 AM
I see brass on the ground as a sin but I toss any that requires any effort to use.

NETim
11-24-2018, 03:27 PM
Thunder ranch in TX used to have gravel that perfectly fit into a .45 case. I used to beat the hell out of my brass after tumbling to try to get the rocks out. I still would go through 3 or 4 decapping pins after a trip down.

I have a small collection of TR rocks on one of my benches as a souvenir. Fond memories. 😄😄

GuanoLoco
11-24-2018, 07:31 PM

Decapping pins on Amazon.

http://fastandfriendlybrass.com/shop/category.aspx/decapping-pin-holders/19/

I use these decapping pin holders, a 50-pack of RCBS pins, some red lock-tite and a torch. Even if you break the pin off in the holder you can generally get it to fall out after heating the end of the holder with a torch.

4 in rotation will handle all the 9mm brass I can size/decap/swage in a day at 2400 RPH on an automated 1050. Biggest issue is usually a piece of brass with a damaged case head that slips out of the shell plate and then gets caught at an odd angle in the size/decap station that the pin slides down/pierces it and bends.

Clusterfrack
11-24-2018, 07:36 PM
Squirrel Daddy pins for Lee decap dies are very durable. They typically last me for >>20k rounds.

Hardened Steel Decapping Pin Upgrade for Lee 90783 / 90292 (3 pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018V7L3C2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_e5E-BbVNVSN3W

Tokarev
11-25-2018, 04:03 PM

Decapping pins on Amazon.I haven't found the Squirrel Daddy pins to be any better than the factory Lee pins. Longer maybe but not really any better, stronger,faster. Plus Lee will send free replacement parts as long as you don't mind paying shipping.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
11-25-2018, 05:17 PM
Tokarev, are you using the Lee Universal decap die or the resize/decap? The Squirrel Daddy pins in my 9mm resize/decap are much more durable than OEM, and survive rocks and even Berdan primed cases.

Tokarev
11-25-2018, 05:18 PM
Tokarev, are you using the Lee Universal decap die or the resize/decap? The Squirrel Daddy pins in my 9mm resize/decap are much more durable than OEM, and survive rocks and even Berdan primed cases.Universal decapping die in a 1050

Clusterfrack
11-25-2018, 05:22 PM
Universal decapping die in a 1050

Ok. That makes sense.

Tokarev
11-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Something that would be nice, with either the Lee or the SD, would be a more dramatic taper where the pin ends and the shaft begins. I've found either brand will catch and ding a 223 case that isn't nice and round. A case mouth that's been bent in or dented a little is sure to get nicked and damaged.

I'm now using the decapping die from Mighty Armory. So far so good.

Lomshek
11-27-2018, 11:54 PM
Something that would be nice, with either the Lee or the SD, would be a more dramatic taper where the pin ends and the shaft begins. I've found either brand will catch and ding a 223 case that isn't nice and round. A case mouth that's been bent in or dented a little is sure to get nicked and damaged.

I chuck them in my drill and use a file to "turn" the end of the shaft into a bevel instead of a square edge then polish it with a dremel. Much better!

mmc45414
11-28-2018, 07:56 AM
I chuck them in my drill and use a file to "turn" the end of the shaft into a bevel instead of a square edge then polish it with a dremel. Much better!I have done this also.

Something that would be nice, with either the Lee or the SD, would be a more dramatic taper where the pin ends and the shaft begins. I've found either brand will catch and ding a 223 case that isn't nice and round. A case mouth that's been bent in or dented a little is sure to get nicked and damaged.Not on Amazon, but on the SD www site there are specific .223 and 300BO pins with this feature:
http://www.squirreldaddy.com/Hardened-Steel-223-5-56-Decapping-pin-p/sd24-114.htm
http://www.squirreldaddy.com/3-Ball-end-decapping-pin-upgrade-for-300-Blackout-p/sd24-110.htm
I am due to either order more Lee pins or go SD, and I am about to be doing more 223 loading, and am probably about to dabble in 300BO. I am wondering if there would be any reason the 223 pins would not be fine in 9mm, other than costing an extra dollar. But then about now is when I always realize I am circling the drain over a couple bucks when I spend thousands screwing with this stuff and I should just get them all...

ETA: And I went ahead and took my own advice and just ordered them. I also ordered their nicest 300BO cutting jig:
http://www.squirreldaddy.com/Rigid-Brass-300-Blackout-Case-Trimming-Jig-2-0-p/sd24-105.htm
And times like these, when, after I just spent ~$40 on 300BO stuff when I do not even own anything in 300BO, I pause to look at myself in the mirror and acknowledge that I have some kind of problem, and I am not seeking any cure...

Tokarev
11-28-2018, 08:57 AM
I have done this also.

Not on Amazon, but on the SD www site there are specific .223 and 300BO pins with this feature:
http://www.squirreldaddy.com/Hardened-Steel-223-5-56-Decapping-pin-p/sd24-114.htm
http://www.squirreldaddy.com/3-Ball-end-decapping-pin-upgrade-for-300-Blackout-p/sd24-110.htm
I am due to either order more Lee pins or go SD, and I am about to be doing more 223 loading, and am probably about to dabble in 300BO. I am wondering if there would be any reason the 223 pins would not be fine in 9mm, other than costing an extra dollar. But then about now is when I always realize I am circling the drain over a couple bucks when I spend thousands screwing with this stuff and I should just get them all...

ETA: And I went ahead and took my own advice and just ordered them. I also ordered their nicest 300BO cutting jig:
http://www.squirreldaddy.com/Rigid-Brass-300-Blackout-Case-Trimming-Jig-2-0-p/sd24-105.htm
And times like these, when, after I just spent ~$40 on 300BO stuff when I do not even own anything in 300BO, I pause to look at myself in the mirror and acknowledge that I have some kind of problem, and I am not seeking any cure...

I can't see any reason why the 223 expander/decapper wouldn't work fine for decapping pistol brass.

If and when I start using the Lee UDD again I'll probably just go with the FFB decapping rod that uses the RCBS pin.

mmc45414
11-28-2018, 09:06 AM
I can't see any reason why the 223 expander/decapper wouldn't work fine for decapping pistol brass.I thought the same thing, then thought if it was only $9 I could just get them also.

Tokarev
11-28-2018, 11:20 AM
A commercial brass processor I'm acquainted with uses the stock RCBS pins. He says he's tried pretty much everything on the market and they all break. He standardized on the RCBS because the pins are cheap.