PDA

View Full Version : Trainer in North Central WA?

daved20319
11-14-2018, 01:18 PM
I'm realizing I need some serious help with my fundamentals, but I live 5 miles past the middle of nowhere, and I'm the full time caretaker for a disabled wife. The latter makes overnight travel pretty much out of the question. Not looking for some hardcore tactical program, or even competition prep. I'd just like to get to the point of being confident I can hit what I shoot at. Any leads or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dave

paulw
11-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Firearms Academy of Seattle is near Onalaska...

https://firearmsacademy.com/

jetfire
11-14-2018, 01:43 PM
I'm realizing I need some serious help with my fundamentals, but I live 5 miles past the middle of nowhere, and I'm the full time caretaker for a disabled wife. The latter makes overnight travel pretty much out of the question. Not looking for some hardcore tactical program, or even competition prep. I'd just like to get to the point of being confident I can hit what I shoot at. Any leads or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dave

I don’t know what your distance from the Seattle metro area is, but InSights Training Center is by far the best place to get any sort of marksmanship training on the west side of the state.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-14-2018, 01:51 PM
Insights was pretty good when they guest taught in TX. FAS - good too.

Totem Polar
11-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Insights is great, but may be out of the question for travel. Paging P.E. Kelley

daved20319
11-14-2018, 02:36 PM
Yeah, anything in Western WA is a no go, Seattle is at least a 4 hour drive, and would pretty much require at least one, and possibly two, overnights. Add in the oncoming winter and a mountain pass or two, and things could get out of hand in a hurry. Thanks, though.

Dave

P.E. Kelley
11-14-2018, 05:28 PM
What is your time frame?
What is your goal?
What ballistic tools are you wanting help with?
Do you compete?

Not that I am ready with all that is going on with me, but I must get out and do.

pk(at)multigun.com

Moses Lake, WA

daved20319
11-14-2018, 06:07 PM
What is your time frame?
What is your goal?
What ballistic tools are you wanting help with?
Do you compete?

Not that I am ready with all that is going on with me, but I must get out and do.

pk(at)multigun.com

Moses Lake, WA

Time frame, probably early next spring, winter would be nice, as it's my slow time, but I prefer to shoot when I can feel my hands. Also, I really can't risk getting stuck somewhere, or otherwise unable to get home.

My goal is to consistently put shots on target at 5-25 yards, both defensively and in practice.

Not sure what you mean by ballistic tools, if you mean guns, I have several CZ pistols I'm focusing on, two are 9 mm, one is a .45 ACP. The two 9's are both compacts, one or the other will be my primary EDC, the .45 is just a range toy.

No, I don't compete, but I'd like to, if I could find a venue that wasn't half a days drive to get too. Later.

Dave

Totem Polar
11-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Dave, you may have just seen your toast land butter side up. Might take a while to set up a meet, but Mr Kelley can answer marksmanship questions. Hell, if you guys settle on a warm, spring weekend, PM me. I'd be up for a drive for that sort of knowledge.
:cool:

Drang
11-15-2018, 03:38 AM
I'm realizing I need some serious help with my fundamentals, but I live 5 miles past the middle of nowhere, and I'm the full time caretaker for a disabled wife.

Guess it depends on what you mean by "North Central WA"...? Okanogon? Wenatchee? Chelan?

...Moses Lake, WA

What have you got for ranges near you, there are enough Washingtonians here that a course might be gotten together...

P.E. Kelley
11-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Guess it depends on what you mean by "North Central WA"...? Okanogon? Wenatchee? Chelan?

What have you got for ranges near you, there are enough Washingtonians here that a course might be gotten together...

The range facility I use is in Ephrata, WA

This could come together...Spring?

Drang
11-15-2018, 10:44 AM
The range facility I use is in Ephrata, WA.

I did my NRA Instructor Certification at Ephrata, the weekend I retired from the Army, but I was thinking of daved20319, since it sounds like he's pretty limited, geography-wise..

daved20319
11-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Ephrata isn't out of the question, but figuring out a schedule that works could be tricky :rolleyes:. One quick question for public consumption, then I'll PM Mr. Kelley for some private details. Is the Ephrata range outdoor only, or do they have indoor facilities? An indoor range would certainly open up my scheduling options. Thanks, all!

Dave

idahojess
11-15-2018, 03:44 PM
I think the Okanogan County Sheriff (or folks sort of affiliated with the S.O.) has classes. (no idea what their instruction is like, but I think I've seen trainers advertise classes up there)
Probably more of a summer, spring thing though, as winter is coming. Or is here.

https://www.facebook.com/Okanogan-County-Firearms-Training-1153554361321257/

(I'd certainly be interested in anything Mr. Kelley has to offer, when he's up to it)

Drang
11-16-2018, 12:42 PM
I think the Okanogan County Sheriff (or folks sort of affiliated with the S.O.) has classes. (no idea what their instruction is like, but I think I've seen trainers advertise classes up there)
Probably more of a summer, spring thing though, as winter is coming. Or is here.

https://www.facebook.com/Okanogan-County-Firearms-Training-1153554361321257/

(I'd certainly be interested in anything Mr. Kelley has to offer, when he's up to it)

That does it: we're moving to Okanagon County.

CITIZEN FIREARMS ACADEMIES

The citizen firearms classes are taught by our state certified firearms instructors. The classes are designed for the general public with instruction ranging from beginner to advanced. The classes teach basic firearms safety, proper shooting techniques, basic firearms maintenance, and legal issues regarding their carry and use.
See our Citizen Firearms Page (http://okanogansheriff.org/citizen_classes.pdf) for further information
(.pdf file)

Citizen Firearms Classes
We believe that the Constitution of the United States provides that the law abiding citizen has a right to own and possess a firearm. In keeping with this philosophy, we are attempting to provide safe and helpful instruction in the use of firearms.
The Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office provides several classes a year to our citizens.
They are taught at our state of the art range, by our state certified instructors.
Also, Larry Vickers trains there. (Although the calendar in that document is 6 years out of date.)

Totem Polar
11-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Vickers was out there last year. I got an invite from a buddy on the force there, but couldn't make it happen with my work schedule.

Erick Gelhaus
12-25-2018, 06:01 AM
Have a close friend who works in the center of the state and goes to practice at a range in Yakima. I know who he's trained with. I can check with him about the middle of the state.

John @ Insights is very solid; Marty @ FAS is good; I've taught @ FAS and West Coast Armory, both are very good facilitys. Unfortunately, I do understand they won't work for you.

scimitar2
04-15-2019, 01:53 PM
I am one of the instructors for the classes put on for the public by the Okanogan County SO. There are several tiers of classes from "this is a pistol, this is a round of ammunition, the pointy end goes that way" to an intermediate class for those that have been successful in the first class, to several more challenging classes. The first class, we provide everything for you (Glock 19, ammo, holster, mag pouch, safety gear, etc). For all further classes, you can use our gear if you choose, or you can use your own. Ammo is only provided for the first class though. After you get through the Essentials and Fundamentals classes, things get more interesting. It basically comes down to a 4 hour class on whatever the instructors want to teach. It could be focused on shooting on the move and engaging moving targets, low light engagement, shooting around vehicles, long range precision marksmanship, etc, etc, etc. We also have done basic and advanced AR-15 classes, home defense with marking cartridges, and other types of classes. This year we are going to start to offer medical stabilization classes as well if there is interest. We also do one class a year that is co-taught with the county prosecutor on lawful use of deadly force. All these classes are free to the community and are funded through grants and donations from the community as well as a fundraiser dinner and auction that we do in the fall every year. It's a pretty neat program that we run.

In addition to these classes, we host traveling instructors at our range in the spring and in the fall. We have a No-Fail pistol and Intermediate Carbine with Presscheck Consulting coming up late May and early June and are looking at what to do in the fall. We have had a variety of instructors out here over the years and have been hosting open enrollment classes for the past decade or so. There is a cost associated with these classes, but it is limited to your expenses and whatever the instructor is charging for tuition.

If there are any questions on either of these programs, I can be contacted at my work email of-

swolak@co.okanongan.wa.us

In addition to the training that we have out here, I can recommend Insights classes with Greg or John, and Kevin with Full Spectrum Training and Consulting.

I hope this hopes and if there are any questions, let me know.

Stefan