PDA

View Full Version : 50 Matches - 50 Different Guns

Bucky
11-14-2018, 08:05 AM
After 26 years of shooting competitively, I've switched things up quite a bit to keep things interesting. It's something I've developed quite the reputation for locally. Just to further the absurdity, a month ago I took on a challenge to see how long it takes to shoot 50 different guns in 50 different matches. (No, collection is not that big, there will definitely be some loaners.)

So how crazy is this? Think I can do it? (Only 44 more to go.) Just don't care?

FNFAN
11-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Interesting! I will monitor your quest!

Bucky
11-14-2018, 08:26 AM
So Far:

- 10/13: USPSA / Open Division - Springfield 1911 .38 Super, Caspian slide, CMORE site, Millennium Custom Comp.

- 10/20: USPSA / Production - Tanfoglio Stock II 9mm

- 10/28: USPSA Outlaw (high round count stages) / Open - EGW build SV Open Division gun, recently converted to 9mm by Millennium Custom.

- 11/4: USPSA / Production - XD Tactical (IE 5") .40 minor, Canyon Creek trigger work, Dawson Sights.

- 11/11: USPSA / Production - Beretta Elite 2 9mm, trigger work by me, fiber optic front, Wilson Combat rear sight.

I missed stated above, I have 45 to go (always forget not to count the header row in Excel :().

I'm trying for quite the variety. Only duplicates would count if they were setup differently / for a different division. For example, SV Open and Limited, or Glock 34 production and carry optics.

Bucky
11-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Interesting! I will monitor your quest!

Thanks. :)

BehindBlueI's
11-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Just don't care?

It's at least as interesting as the old folks who ate at every Cracker Barrel. But no more interesting than the old folks who ate at every Cracker Barrel.

My guess it starts off fun then eventually morphs into feeling like checking a box. But with less pancakes.

Bucky
11-14-2018, 11:34 AM
It's at least as interesting as the old folks who ate at every Cracker Barrel. But no more interesting than the old folks who ate at every Cracker Barrel.

My guess it starts off fun then eventually morphs into feeling like checking a box. But with less pancakes.

So far it's been quite interesting. The XD was particularly interesting, as it reminded me how accurate that gun is. It was a very difficult / accuracy intensive match, designed by someone who was just back from nationals. Only 2 people out of about 60 completed the match with no misses.

If it gets to the point where it's not longer fun and / or I'm no longer getting something out of it, then I'll quite or suspend the project.

TNK
11-14-2018, 08:18 PM
It is a doable project. Best wishes with it. It should be fun too. I have been our local club's "gun of the month" guy for a long time. It may not have helped me to improve, but I have a fair knowledge of how many different pistols handle under the stress of competition. Enjoy your quest.

GJM
11-14-2018, 08:19 PM
Are you related to Enel?

Bucky
11-14-2018, 09:15 PM
Are you related to Enel?

Not that I know of, but we're all brothers aren't we? ;)

BN
11-14-2018, 09:22 PM
GJM will always be ahead of you. ;)

feudist
11-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Sounds fascinating.

Is there a meaningful way to compare results between guns?

Bucky
11-15-2018, 05:17 AM
Sounds fascinating.

Is there a meaningful way to compare results between guns?

USPSA matches vary too much match to match, and different venues bring in different levels of competitors. So the overall rankings aren’t a good indication. With the XD I won production, but was 9th overall. With the E2, I was 5th overall, but only 4th production. The latter match has much heavier competition in the production division.

Also, some guns fair better at different matches than others. For example, I’ve found the XD to be a harder gun to open up with, due to its bore axis and my weaker grip strength. The fortunate part was, that particular match was very accuracy intensive, which was a strong suit for that gun.

The one thing I can come away with are my thoughts and observations. I’m keeping more detailed notes in my spreadsheet. It’s early, so all the guns thus far have been set up solely for competition. Only one of them though (the SV) is part of the current lineup. I’ll be getting to some box stock guns very soon.

spinmove_
11-15-2018, 06:36 AM
Are you related to Enel?

Don’t you mean Patrick E. Kelley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
11-15-2018, 10:29 AM
USPSA matches vary too much match to match, and different venues bring in different levels of competitors. So the overall rankings aren’t a good indication. With the XD I won production, but was 9th overall. With the E2, I was 5th overall, but only 4th production. The latter match has much heavier competition in the production division.

Also, some guns fair better at different matches than others. For example, I’ve found the XD to be a harder gun to open up with, due to its bore axis and my weaker grip strength. The fortunate part was, that particular match was very accuracy intensive, which was a strong suit for that gun.

The one thing I can come away with are my thoughts and observations. I’m keeping more detailed notes in my spreadsheet. It’s early, so all the guns thus far have been set up solely for competition. Only one of them though (the SV) is part of the current lineup. I’ll be getting to some box stock guns very soon.

I actually think your ability to shoot the guns and your place in the competition is the best metric you can use. One thing you could do, is run the same drill in practice with each new gun and record your time (just pick something, Dot Torture or something of the like). You can use that as a baseline along with your placement in each match. My guess is, that even though the matches may have different competitors and stages, your particular shooting will regress to your mean and that the mean skill will match your skill on the drill.

In other words, while it's not a 1:1 correlation, my guess is guns you shoot better in X-drill will result in higher placement in competition.

spinmove_
11-15-2018, 10:38 AM
I actually think your ability to shoot the guns and your place in the competition is the best metric you can use. One thing you could do, is run the same drill in practice with each new gun and record your time (just pick something, Dot Torture or something of the like). You can use that as a baseline along with your placement in each match. My guess is, that even though the matches may have different competitors and stages, your particular shooting will regress to your mean and that the mean skill will match your skill on the drill.

In other words, while it's not a 1:1 correlation, my guess is guns you shoot better in X-drill will result in higher placement in competition.

Dot Torture is too long. Do 3 sets of the FAST or 1 set of Super Test. That’s a fairly short and sweet baseline that covers a few skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucky
11-15-2018, 12:01 PM

My intent of this exercise was to be less serious than any of this. As much fun as it was breaking out the old XD or even older Elite 2, ultimately there are no expectations of either replacing the current Shadow 2 that I would choose for any serious production competition going forward. In fact, this is the exact opposite, a little off season levity, as well as a bit of nostalgia revisiting what I once thought was the right choice back in the day, and what I liked or disliked about it.

feudist
11-15-2018, 05:50 PM
My intent of this exercise was to be less serious than any of this. As much fun as it was breaking out the old XD or even older Elite 2, ultimately there are no expectations of either replacing the current Shadow 2 that I would choose for any serious production competition going forward. In fact, this is the exact opposite, a little off season levity, as well as a bit of nostalgia revisiting what I once thought was the right choice back in the day, and what I liked or disliked about it.

But, science!

MGW
11-15-2018, 08:56 PM
I used 13 different pistols in matches in the last 2 years or so. That’s not counting duplicates of the same model. Not intentionally as part of some quest. I’m not that adventurous. If I’m being honest with myself I kind of feel like an idiot for doing it. I felt more like James Woods “Ooh, a piece of candy!”

Cheap Shot
11-15-2018, 09:11 PM
After 26 years of shooting competitively, I've switched things up quite a bit to keep things interesting. It's something I've developed quite the reputation for locally. Just to further the absurdity, a month ago I took on a challenge to see how long it takes to shoot 50 different guns in 50 different matches. (No, collection is not that big, there will definitely be some loaners.)

So how crazy is this? Think I can do it? (Only 44 more to go.) Just don't care?

Sounds fun, and creative. I hope you have a blast (take that blues). Seriously, keep us posted

P.E. Kelley
11-16-2018, 11:05 AM
Holler when you get far enough out there you shoot a KelTec P11 and a 455 Webley in comps.
Been there, done that, still doing it and got the grip strength to show for it.
Over 50 guns in 50 matches including several Majors.
Won 85% the events.

Oh if you really want to up the ante, shoot them at the match without having shot them ever before.

I applaud you mister, it is a fun and knowledge worthy journey.
You will find out that little matters other than your application of the fundamentals.

Cool to see someone else try this.

Bucky
11-16-2018, 11:30 AM
Oh if you really want to up the ante, shoot them at the match without having shot them ever before.

I've never shot a Stock 2 prior to the match I shot it in. A friend contacted me and said she wanted to try my Shadow 2, so I said OK bring your Stock 2 and we'll swap. We swapped at the match and I took 2nd production after a GM, and second out of all the iron sighted handgun divisions. :)

In order to meet that 50, I'll likely swap on the spot with someone else down the line.

P.E. Kelley
11-16-2018, 12:16 PM
I've never shot a Stock 2 prior to the match I shot it in. A friend contacted me and said she wanted to try my Shadow 2, so I said OK bring your Stock 2 and we'll swap. We swapped at the match and I took 2nd production after a GM, and second out of all the iron sighted handgun divisions. :)

In order to meet that 50, I'll likely swap on the spot with someone else down the line.

Most excellent!

bac1023
11-17-2018, 05:52 PM
Very cool Bucky

Good luck in your quest :cool:

Bucky
11-18-2018, 04:08 PM
Very cool Bucky

Good luck in your quest :cool:

Thank you sir. Welcome to the forum. :)

Bucky
11-18-2018, 04:14 PM
Was hoping to knock out 3 this weekend, but Saturday was cancelled due to weather (turned out t be a nice day :( )

11/18: Steel Challenge / Limited - Les Baer Premier II 9mm, Warren Sights
11/18: Steel Challenge / Rimfire Pistol Irons - Glock 37 with AA .22 top end, Warren Sights.

7 down. :)

Bucky
11-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Slow weekend, only one. :(

- 11/25/18: USPSA / Carry Optics - Glock 34 Gen 4, Vanek production trigger kit, direct mill Delta Point Pro.

Bucky
12-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Knockdown steel match today, 12/8/2018. A bit on the chilly side.

9. Beretta Extrema, 12 gauge, semi auto shotgun division
10. CZ Shadow 2, 9mm, Pistol Iron Sights division.

Bucky
12-09-2018, 02:57 PM
11. 12/9/2018 - Colt 1991A1 with EGW makeover / .45 ACP - USPSA / Limited-10.

Very cold, and a bit frustrating of a day. The 10 round magazines were not falling free. I should have brought the 8 rounders and proper holster and shot single stack.

Bucky
12-16-2018, 06:33 AM
3 different guns scheduled to be shot, all rained out. The weekend weather this year has been horrid. :mad:

Bucky
12-31-2018, 09:43 AM
Finally, a match not cancelled due to weather.

12. 12/30/2018 - Beretta APX, completely stock / 9mm - USPSA / Production.

I haven't really shot this gun all that much, and certainly nothing more than target type shooting (no draws, reloads, etc). I was actually quite impressed at how well this gun shoots. It manages recoil really well and the trigger is pretty darn good. Hardest part was the big three dot factory sights, not the most ideal for competing.

Something interesting I noticed this morning while cleaning the magazines. Several of them were pretty dirtied up on the outside (lot of mud on the range), but were surprisingly clean on the inside. Not sure if there's something to the design of the mag to help keep debris out a bit better than other magazines, or just a pure coincidence. Just thinking out loud a bit.

Bucky
01-13-2019, 03:21 PM
Another dead weekend due to weather. I’d literally be twice as far along if not for the weather. :mad:

Alpha Sierra
02-16-2019, 09:36 PM
I dare you:

https://youtu.be/28oXTmUA6TQ

Bucky
02-17-2019, 05:56 AM
I dare you:

https://youtu.be/28oXTmUA6TQ

Hmm. Might happen. ;)

At this point, I missed more matches than was able to attend.

Bucky
02-17-2019, 03:03 PM
With all the weather cancellations, I'm way off from meeting my goal. At some point I want to pick a single gun / division to focus on for the shooting "main season". Not sure what that will be yet. I was pretty sure carry optics would be it, but still unhappy with what I've got for that (so naturally I need a new gun :p).

Anyway, just to keep updated

13. 2/10/2019 - STI "Parts gun" 1911 / .40 S&W Major - USPSA Limited 10.

5 or so years ago, I realized I had accumulated enough spare parts that all I needed was a frame and plunger tube housing to build a complete gun. With the help from a friend, this Franken' gun was built.

14. 2/17/2019 - Ruger 22/45, Delta Point Pro - .22 LR - Steel Challenge "Outlaw", Rimfire Pistol Open.

A loaner gun. I've been interested in building one of these for steel challenge (but I'm going to go limited / iron sights if I do) and wanted to give it a try. I liked it and will probably put this on the short list to buy.

BN
02-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Several years ago, I shot a local IDPAish match carrying 2 Ruger 44 Vaqueros plus 2 replica cap and ball revolvers all loaded with black powder. I did New York reloads. ;) That would count as 4 guns wouldn't it? :)

Bucky
02-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Several years ago, I shot a local IDPAish match carrying 2 Ruger 44 Vaqueros plus 2 replica cap and ball revolvers all loaded with black powder. I did New York reloads. ;) That would count as 4 guns wouldn't it? :)

Well, the 2 Rugers are the same model / caliber / "type", so that's one. If the cap and ball were different models, they'd count as 2. :)

BN
02-17-2019, 04:05 PM
Well, the 2 Rugers are the same model / caliber / "type", so that's one. If the cap and ball were different models, they'd count as 2. :)

The two Rugers are not consecutive serial numbers and the trigger pull is slightly different, so I am going to call them 2 guns. ;)

However, just as I pressed "submit reply" I realized it was only one match. :(