PDA

View Full Version : I do not believe this one has been posted yet. social media checks for gun purchases

Totem Polar
11-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Possibly the dumbest thing you'll read today. I doubt that this one has legs, even in NY, but nothing surprises me any more.

https://www.newsweek.com/lawmakers-propose-hate-speech-social-media-checks-gun-purchases-1200746?fbclid=IwAR0tY0L8I4pDIQwyyOGsn4VknpNtNMFdM qUEerIDGGUCcES81Jx_uu8H-IQ

"Lawmakers in New York have begun drafting legislation that would require potential gun owners to have the past three years of their social media reviewed before they were granted permission to own a firearm."

HCountyGuy
11-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Sounds like a violation of the First Amendment to infringe upon the Second.

Given what Democrats define as hate speech at various points I can see this being vastly abused. The drafters of such legislation should be removed from their positions and barred from public office for blatantly attempting to violate the Constitution.

blues
11-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Possibly the dumbest thing you'll read today. I doubt that this one has legs, even in NY, but nothing surprises me any more.

https://www.newsweek.com/lawmakers-propose-hate-speech-social-media-checks-gun-purchases-1200746?fbclid=IwAR0tY0L8I4pDIQwyyOGsn4VknpNtNMFdM qUEerIDGGUCcES81Jx_uu8H-IQ

"Lawmakers in New York have begun drafting legislation that would require potential gun owners to have the past three years of their social media reviewed before they were granted permission to own a firearm."

Yeah, and the best part is that it's going to be reviewed by Anthony Weiner. ;)

Totem Polar
11-11-2018, 08:24 PM
"The only way to make this proposal better – by which I mean worse – would be to arrange for New York to quarter troops on the homes of applicants with especially bad social media postings. That way the sponsors could achieve a straight flush of Bill of Rights violations."
-Cato Institute

:D

Tom Duffy
11-12-2018, 12:14 PM
My favorite legislative idea out of New York happened a couple of years ago. The proposal was that registered gun owners only be allowed to purchase only one reload for their gun (notice not guns) once a month. Have to schedule your practice very carefully. 😕