PDA

View Full Version : Trump skips WWI ceremony due to rain...

Grey
11-11-2018, 07:01 PM
Fucking weak...

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/trumps-rain-check-honoring-americans-killed-wwi-prompts/story?id=59119504

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

LockedBreech
11-11-2018, 07:07 PM
That’s a hard one to explain away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap Shot
11-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Fucking weak...

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/trumps-rain-check-honoring-americans-killed-wwi-prompts/story?id=59119504

Fucking weak indeed

smh

Stephanie B
11-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Bone spurs.

JohnO
11-11-2018, 07:33 PM
Comb over can't tolerate rain?

blues
11-11-2018, 07:34 PM
Sacrebleu!!! (Hey, he might've slipped in the rain and mussed his hair.)

(He probably prefers live soldiers, not those who were captured or killed. :rolleyes: My missus is pretty steamed over this whole lack of properly addressing the matter.)

Ndbbm
11-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Or was supposed to fly by helicopter, unable to due to rain. And unable to shut down something like 90 miles of roads at the last minute. I’ve only seen a few presidential motorcades but they completely shut the roads down and there some prep work that takes time beforehand.

blues
11-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Or was supposed to fly by helicopter, unable to due to rain. And unable to shut down something like 90 miles of roads at the last minute. I’ve only seen a few presidential motorcades but they completely shut the roads down and there some prep work that takes time beforehand.

Honestly, I think most of the gnashing of teeth is over a lack of words to express the regret of not having the privilege of attending and standing on that hallowed ground.

Peally
11-11-2018, 07:44 PM

Get out of here with realistic logic. It's as if helicopters are dangerous aircraft and there's more to a presidential visit than grabbing a segway and showing up.

Grey
11-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Or was supposed to fly by helicopter, unable to due to rain. And unable to shut down something like 90 miles of roads at the last minute. I’ve only seen a few presidential motorcades but they completely shut the roads down and there some prep work that takes time beforehand.So how did everyone else manage to make the trips in the rain...?

Rick62
11-11-2018, 07:46 PM
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/24839/dont-be-so-quick-to-blame-trumps-no-show-at-cemetery-on-the-president-himself

Obviously speculation, but it’s speculation based on the reality of moving POTUS from point A to point B. FWIW the author isn’t t exactly known as a Trump supported.

Not nearly as witty as “bone spurs” though.

Ndbbm
11-11-2018, 07:56 PM
So how did everyone else manage to make the trips in the rain...?

I have nothing to do with it but I’m guessing they drove? I’m also guessing the threat assessments, procedures, and logistics are different for the various protective agencies. I’d also guess some of that is not easy to drastically change at the last minute. Like going from a flight to a very long motorcade route that you can’t do any advance work on, may not be able to adequately control, and may not want to screw the motoring public over that is trying to go about their daily lives on that day.

Grey
11-11-2018, 07:58 PM
I have nothing to do with it but I’m guessing they drove? I’m also guessing the threat assessments, procedures, and logistics are different for the various protective agencies. I’d also guess some of that is not easy to drastically change at the last minute. Like going from a flight to a very long motorcade route that you can’t do any advance work on, may not be able to adequately control, and may not want to screw the motoring public over that is trying to go about their daily lives on that day.

I find the argument that they had no plan B in case of inclement weather pretty thin. Especially since the planner for Obama said they always have a plam B for weather.

Ndbbm
11-11-2018, 08:11 PM
I find the argument that they had no plan B in case of inclement weather pretty thin. Especially since the planner for Obama said they always have a plam B for weather.

Well screw it boys, grab some red shirts (geeky Startrek reference), tell the peasants to clear the road, we have a tank of gas let’s go.

I guess that’s an option, stupid, but an option. <Shrug> Dude I have no idea. There’s a lot of very valid reasons why not to, or maybe he decided to be an ass that day. My guess is for the faults he seems to have he seems to have a high regard for military and security/police folks. Maybe he could have order the screw it option, but the setting the Secret Service guys up to be red shirts doesn’t seem to be a great idea either.

TheNewbie
11-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Why is this news?

Peally
11-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Why is this news?

Man I ask that with 95% of stories. Journalists need to justify their sad little jobs I guess.

TAZ
11-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Why is this news?

Orange man bad! Don’t you know?

Pathetic excuse for sure, but news worthy????

Drang
11-11-2018, 08:30 PM
Not if you're a helicopter pilot and it's raining too fucking hard for safe flight.

psalms144.1
11-11-2018, 08:36 PM
Lest we forget, the Polish president made the decision to "tough it out" to get to the Katyn Forest Massacre remembrance ceremony in 2010, and caused the deaths of himself, his wife, and over 180 others (including most of the Polish military's senior leadership).

Sometimes flying in bad weather is just dumb, no matter how much you hate the person you're poking fun at...

11B10
11-11-2018, 08:37 PM
Not if you're a helicopter pilot and it's raining too fucking hard for safe flight.

This ^^^ seems to have some much needed perspective. Thanks, Drang.

peterb
11-11-2018, 08:43 PM
Why is this news?

Because anything the President does or doesn’t do is fodder for the 24-hour news cycle.

I remember stories that were lip-reader’s guesses about things Obama or Bush or their family members might have said when they were out of microphone range.

Drang
11-11-2018, 09:04 PM

GuanoLoco
11-11-2018, 09:37 PM
Sarah is a regular bastion of credibilty. If she said it then it must be true.

TheNewbie
11-11-2018, 09:54 PM
I think the hatred of Trump by the left, the media, establishment republicans, and those who seek perfection tell you a lot of what you need to know about him.

LockedBreech
11-11-2018, 10:00 PM

Are cars not allowed in France? Has it never rained there so nobody could plan for it? How did all those other leaders get there?

I'm being snarky, for which I apologize, but there's no way that should have stopped the attempt to make it there, especially on such a profoundly important occasion, and extra-especially by someone who constantly makes political hay of how much he loves the military (aside from POWs). Sarah Huckabee Sanders reason was that he didn't want to disrupt Paris traffic with his motorcade. Given the man's various displays of vanity and ego the last two years, if you believe that I've got a bridge to sell.

I don't hate Trump. I'm a moderate and registered independent and was one of the people cautiously giving him a chance for the first year or two. He's made a few damn fine calls and I especially like his harder foreign policy stance. I certainly wasn't a Clinton voter. But he's done nothing to dispel the impression that he's a bit of a buffoon and a bit of a shitty guy (I think that's fair to say with multiple affairs on multiple wives), and it seems far more likely to me that he just didn't want to go.

TC215
11-11-2018, 10:14 PM
I was involved in the planning of a presidential visit to my jurisdiction earlier this year, and worked extensively with the USSS. The amount of planning and preparation that goes into the president’s travels is extraordinary. I worked primarily with the motorcade/presidential detail’s tactical element, and got to see some of how they do things.

It took numerous agencies to secure the motorcade route (all roadways and intersections had to be totally shutdown, including interstates). There also had to be EOD sweeps of the entire motorcade route before his arrival and before his departure.

It would take an incredible amount of resources and personnel to secure the route for a 2.5 hour drive.

LockedBreech
11-11-2018, 10:17 PM
I guess I just have a hard time believing there's not a Plan B for this important of an occasion. It would help if Sanders didn't have a track record of straight up lying sometimes.

Ah well. I agree it's not really news. Just sorta crummy.

GardoneVT
11-11-2018, 10:28 PM
Bone spurs.

The CDC should look into the sudden yet temporary outbreak of bone spurs among American elite males during the 1970s .

CleverNickname
11-11-2018, 10:43 PM
It would help if Sanders didn't have a track record of straight up lying sometimes
All press secretaries lie, it's just that people tend to be more outraged by that fact when the president is not of the same party, and tend to ignore it when he is.

GuanoLoco
11-11-2018, 11:11 PM
I think the hatred of Trump by the left, the media, establishment republicans, and those who seek perfection tell you a lot of what you need to know about him.

His own words and actions tell me all I need to know about him.

I don’t particularly care how anyone else reacts, or fails to react, regardless of their reasons.

LockedBreech
11-11-2018, 11:12 PM
All press secretaries lie, it's just that people tend to be more outraged by that fact when the president is not of the same party, and tend to ignore it when he is.

I'm not a member of either party. I hated that shit in the Obama white house too. It's never okay. Some would argue that's the press secretary's job, I disagree. As a lawyer it's my job to spin the truth in artful ways, but I'm never permitted to knowingly lie or disseminate an outright falsehood. Recent press secretaries have blithely crossed that line a number of times. Sanders shared an Acosta video that was altered by InfoWars. That's staggeringly not okay. Doesn't have anything to do with political party.

Robinson
11-12-2018, 12:06 AM
It was raining pretty hard at the cemetery where he attended the ceremony today and it didn't seem to phase him (or Secretary Mattis) much. Just sayin'.

BigT
11-12-2018, 12:58 AM
An outsiders perspective. Very few if any leaders travel in the way your president does. Which is not his call but that of the Secret Service. So its a whole lot easier for the French Prime Minister to have last minute scheduling changes than it is for POTUS.

The possability exists thats the french were resistant to closing down a large section of their road network to allow a motorcade to drive through. If thats the only solution the USSS accepts and the host nation says no, well it aint Trumps call at the end of the day as I understand it.

On the other hand old men may not want to stand in the rain in order to ensure they become older men.

Im not the biggest Trump supporter in the world but its also easy to see how often his opponents go to worst case explanatiin for evrything around him, kinda like the opposite situation that occurred under Obama where the right thought he was the devil, and maybe even worse a foreigner...

idahojess
11-12-2018, 01:56 AM
So its a whole lot easier for the French Prime Minister to have last minute scheduling changes than it is for POTUS.

I don't know about that, apparently Macron couldn't make a trip on the 100th anniversary of the battle of Amiens a couple months ago. Granted, the anniversary may have been a surprise.

Emmanuel Macron had already paused his vacation at Fort de Brégançon for [British Prime Minister] Theresa May,” French newspaper Le Parisien wrote, referring to a visit by May earlier this summer to discuss matters related to Britain's potential departure from the European Union. “He clearly had no intention of interrupting it again,” the article said.

https://www.newsweek.com/macron-faces-backlash-after-ditching-wwi-commemoration-ceremony-vacation-1066868

TGS
11-12-2018, 02:08 AM
Lol this thread is funny.

You guys are too much.

rob_s
11-12-2018, 03:46 AM
so basically...

If you were already a Trump supporter before this, you'll dismiss this as a non-issue and nothing has changed.

If you already hated Trump before this, you'll be indignant and offended, and nothing has changed.

Drang
11-12-2018, 04:45 AM
Are cars not allowed in France? Has it never rained there so nobody could plan for it? How did all those other leaders get there?

The plan B, as noted above, was to drive the 85 +/- miles from the Ambassador's Residence where Trump was staying to the site. Through traffic. In crappy weather. The President apparently made the call that it would be so disruptive that he did not want to do that.

It's Trump, so he's fucked either way.

Joe in PNG
11-12-2018, 05:21 AM
so basically...

If you were already a Trump supporter before this, you'll dismiss this as a non-issue and nothing has changed.

If you already hated Trump before this, you'll be indignant and offended, and nothing has changed.

I've got a mental picture of two NPC's arguing:
"Orange man bad!"
"Orange man good!"
"Orange man bad!"
"Orange man good!"
"Orange man bad!"
"Orange man good!"
"Orange man bad!"
"Orange man good!"

LockedBreech
11-12-2018, 06:05 AM
[edit: self-deleted]

Bowing out of this one.

BehindBlueI's
11-12-2018, 07:34 AM
so basically...

I'm Trump agnostic at best and don't see why it's an issue. But I've been on the details of POTUS and VPOTUS visits multiple times and have a realistic notion of the logistics in terms of manpower and man-hours involved with moving him around domestically.

It's no more newsworthy than a stumble on the stairs, but it'll get eyeballs and can be used to spin a narrative so it's "news".

Zincwarrior
11-12-2018, 09:28 AM
So how did everyone else manage to make the trips in the rain...?

Fake news!

Clearly his bone spur war wounds were acting up.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Dear God: Let Trump decide not to run and let Nikki Haley run.

New rule - no one over 65 can run for president.

This incident is just another projective test for the tribal true believers of both sides of the spectrum.

Sensei
11-12-2018, 09:42 AM
I'm Trump agnostic at best and don't see why it's an issue. But I've been on the details of POTUS and VPOTUS visits multiple times and have a realistic notion of the logistics in terms of manpower and man-hours involved with moving him around domestically.

It's no more newsworthy than a stumble on the stairs, but it'll get eyeballs and can be used to spin a narrative so it's "news".

I’m right there with you. I didn’t vote for him in the last election and have been highly critical of his policies toward fiscal, healthcare, and trade issues. I also think that he is a lying coward on personal integrity issues related to Vietnam / heel spurs and paying off the filthy whores that he likes to screw. Moreover, I’m a veteran.

Yet, I’m not understanding the outrage and I doubt that he canceled the trip just because he didn’t want to hold an umbrella.

DocGKR
11-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Hmmm......so if I understand this correctly, individuals that have real-world experience with prior Presidential security and transportation feel this movement cancellation was within the normal parameters, while folks who have no actual knowledge of such arrangements are upset and outraged over some perceived slight.

11B10
11-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Hmmm......so if I understand this correctly, individuals that have real-world experience with prior Presidential security and transportation feel this movement cancellation was within the normal parameters, while folks who have no actual knowledge of such arrangements are upset and outraged over some perceived slight.

Doc, you and I share the same take away. I'm sure we're not the only ones.

blues
11-12-2018, 10:33 AM

Having stood post in the rain while on loan to the Secret Service in years past, I endorse limiting all political activity to sunny days. ;)

(But I still think most of the reported angst was over the failure to attend not being addressed with the gravitas that was expected...as opposed to a lack of understanding regarding the dangers or logistics involved. Perhaps I'm wrong.)

Super77
11-12-2018, 10:48 AM
I’m active duty and do not care about this in the least.

Sensei
11-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Having stood post in the rain while on loan to the Secret Service in years past...

I bet would be totally worth it if they’ed let you climb into the back of the Suburban with the Dillon Aero M134D for just 5 minutes...totally...worth...it...

Rick62
11-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Having stood post in the rain while on loan to the Secret Service in years past, I endorse limiting all political activity to sunny days. ;)

(But I still think most of the reported angst was over the failure to attend not being addressed with the gravitas that was expected...as opposed to a lack of understanding regarding the dangers or logistics involved. Perhaps I'm wrong.)

Reported where? The media remains offended that our President exists in any fashion. The angst expressed in this thread is by people who at this point are deliberately ignorant of the fact that POTUS movements are carefully planned and executed with an incredible amount of resources. This isn’t you taking a road trip to see you Great Aunt Clementine. It’s not the same as moving any other world leader.
How did Macron get there? It’s doesn’t fucking matter. He’s not POTUS.
Why wasn’t there a plan B? There are plans B-Z with Presidential movements. The issue is that all of them are a gigantic undertaking. Has one of them put into action, we’d be here debating why OrangeMan had 80 miles of Paris roadways shut down just so he could attend the ceremony.
For anyone who continues to not get that POTUS movements aren’t the same as anyone else on this planet, and refuse to listen to those of us who have worked these details, there’s a surprising amount of information publicly available regarding the scope of these operations.

LockedBreech
11-12-2018, 02:27 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181112/e7075387a81294f220b30393f512ce0c.jpg

Idk. This guy has lots of experience and had a critique, so maybe it’s just the same old tribal politics crap. Sure wish I could moderately criticize the guy without picking a side in the Trump Patriot / Antifa Liberal contest of idiocy.

Anyway, certainly not going to burn my PF bridges over a mild criticism Donald Trump’s travel itineraries. Guess I’m wrong. On to next week’s topic.

HCM
11-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Idk. This guy has lots of experience and had a critique, so maybe it’s just the same old tribal politics crap. Sure wish I could moderately criticize the guy without picking a side in the Trump Patriot / Antifa Liberal contest of idiocy.

Anyway, certainly not going to burn my PF bridges over a mild criticism Donald Trump’s travel itineraries. Guess I’m wrong. On to next week’s topic.

Ben Rhodes is a political creature. You just answered your own question.

BehindBlueI's
11-12-2018, 02:54 PM

He's right, as far as it goes. There's a lot of options in place. But they aren't equal and aren't all in play just because.

I don't really know how best to phrase it, but imagine you have a plan for clearing a tennis court to use it for an emergency med-evac site. Then you use that plan because of a medical emergency, not because you're tired of hearing the grunting of tennis players. The option exists, but it's not used unless it's important enough to use it. Then somebody bitches about the noise from the tennis court, says "well you have an option of clearing it!" and blames you for ignoring their noise concerns. Yes, the option exists. Is it applicable to this, and is the logistics worth it?

Last time I worked a POTUS detail, he delayed his departure by about 20 minutes and I thought our logistics guy was going to cry. There were some 150 officers *just on overtime* to sweep and secure the route, which was less than 20 miles. This does not include all the traffic guys who were on duty. I spent 5 hours under an overpass with the sole job of being the only human under the overpass. I've similarly guarded bathrooms to make sure nobody was in the bathroom in case the bathroom was needed, guarded hallways to make sure nobody else was in the hallway, a locked door to make sure it stayed locked, etc. Even domestically, moving POTUS by ground is a freaking undertaking. I have no experience with it abroad, but would figure it's even more of a pain.

So, in short, I believe he's technically truthful about an option existing but conveying a false narrative by releasing only the portion of the truth relevant to his interests.

GardoneVT
11-12-2018, 05:15 PM
At this point, keeping Trump in office pragmatically helps my industry and thus my wallet. I am thus forced to back Team Trump for the duration,regardless of how many dead hookers he gets caught with or disrespect he shows to veterans . Alcohol and nausea meds are still available, and so we endure.

Zincwarrior
11-12-2018, 05:43 PM
He skipped the Arlington ceremony too, but managed to get in a few tweets from the golden throne.

Rick62
11-12-2018, 05:46 PM

Idk. This guy has lots of experience and had a critique

Rhodes is a progressive political hack.

Sure wish I could moderately criticize the guy without picking a side in the Trump Patriot / Antifa Liberal contest of idiocy

Well reasoned criticism and polite disagreement is awesome, and should be encouraged, perhaps now more than at any time in recent history.
Blaming Trump for for unsafe flying conditions and refusing to acknowledge why the alternative routes of transport were, appropriately, not utilized, is tribalism bullshit.

LockedBreech
11-12-2018, 06:15 PM

Or maybe I just don’t believe the reason provided, at least not entirely? Is skepticism of government not a thing here anymore? I don’t think I was disrespectful at any point. I complimented trump IN my critique of him!

How can I be tribal when I am not a member of either party and have voted for both side’s presidential candidates? I think I’ve complimented trump at least as much as I’ve taken shots at him on this forum. Rhoades is a political hack and Sanders isn’t? That seems like tribalism too.

I think we’re going in circles and I said I was bowing out, so I will. I’m just baffled if I’m being interpreted as outraged, tribal, ignorant, etc. I’ve been mild, complimented the guy, and basically just been skeptical of the official line. That’s it.

Ben Rhodes is a political creature. You just answered your own question.

And Sarah Sanders isn’t? C’moooon.

LockedBreech
11-12-2018, 06:17 PM
He's right, as far as it goes. There's a lot of options in place. But they aren't equal and aren't all in play just because.

I don't really know how best to phrase it, but imagine you have a plan for clearing a tennis court to use it for an emergency med-evac site. Then you use that plan because of a medical emergency, not because you're tired of hearing the grunting of tennis players. The option exists, but it's not used unless it's important enough to use it. Then somebody bitches about the noise from the tennis court, says "well you have an option of clearing it!" and blames you for ignoring their noise concerns. Yes, the option exists. Is it applicable to this, and is the logistics worth it?

Last time I worked a POTUS detail, he delayed his departure by about 20 minutes and I thought our logistics guy was going to cry. There were some 150 officers *just on overtime* to sweep and secure the route, which was less than 20 miles. This does not include all the traffic guys who were on duty. I spent 5 hours under an overpass with the sole job of being the only human under the overpass. I've similarly guarded bathrooms to make sure nobody was in the bathroom in case the bathroom was needed, guarded hallways to make sure nobody else was in the hallway, a locked door to make sure it stayed locked, etc. Even domestically, moving POTUS by ground is a freaking undertaking. I have no experience with it abroad, but would figure it's even more of a pain.

So, in short, I believe he's technically truthful about an option existing but conveying a false narrative by releasing only the portion of the truth relevant to his interests.

This cleared things up a lot. Thank you.

For what it’s worth, I have no issue with being wrong. I’m wrong often. I have an issue with being interpreted as outraged / tribal / unreasonable when I cared about this story maybe 3 out of 10 and only posted about it because I was bored on the toilet. Risks of the internet and not being able to convey vocal tone I guess. Just goes to confirm that old rule I’ve been trying to stick by and failing for years: when it comes to politics, race, exes, or asking if a woman is pregnant, it’s pretty much always better to hush.

Rick62
11-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Or maybe I just don’t believe the reason provided, at least not entirely? Is skepticism of government not a thing here anymore? I don’t think I was disrespectful at any point. I complimented trump IN my critique of him!

How can I be tribal when I am not a member of either party and have voted for both side’s presidential candidates? I think I’ve complimented trump at least as much as I’ve taken shots at him on this forum. Rhoades is a political hack and Sanders isn’t? That seems like tribalism too.

I think we’re going in circles and I said I was bowing out, so I will. I’m just baffled if I’m being interpreted as outraged, tribal, ignorant, etc. I’ve been mild, complimented the guy, and basically just been skeptical of the official line. That’s it.

I think it’s 100% healthy to view the world with a heavy dose of skepticism. I certainly don’t think you were disrespectful in any of your replies. Rhodes and Sanders are certainly both political animals. I mentioned Rhodes obvious biases simply because you offered his remark as a “supporting source” for your position.
Where is see the tribalism creeping in is in the “why didn’t they use plan b, how did everyone else get there, don’t they have roads and cars and walking in France” type of questions that have been posed in this thread. (Certainly not all by you). These questions ignore the obvious reality that I and others have brought up.
FWIW I’ve always found you to be a reasonable and thoughtful poster. Perhaps that’s why I was somewhat irked and some of the, in my view, silly, points that were raised.
Also, I’d hate for you to bow out as a result of any push back I’ve offer. I appreciate your insight.

txdpd
11-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Maybe Rhodes can explain why President Obama skipped out on Maj Gen Greene's funeral. Weather isn't a good excuse but inconvenient timing is legit.

The first rule of inclement weather plans is don't get your ass in a bind due to known inclement weather. Reagan almost bled to death on the way to a hospital. If you can't fly to an event due to rain, you can't medevac either. 10% of our Presidents have been assassinated and there have been known assassination attempts against a third of them.

LockedBreech
11-12-2018, 06:54 PM
I think it’s 100% healthy to view the world with a heavy dose of skepticism. I certainly don’t think you were disrespectful in any of your replies. Rhodes and Sanders are certainly both political animals. I mentioned Rhodes obvious biases simply because you offered his remark as a “supporting source” for your position.
Where is see the tribalism creeping in is in the “why didn’t they use plan b, how did everyone else get there, don’t they have roads and cars and walking in France” type of questions that have been posed in this thread. (Certainly not all by you). These questions ignore the obvious reality that I and others have brought up.
FWIW I’ve always found you to be a reasonable and thoughtful poster. Perhaps that’s why I was somewhat irked and some of the, in my view, silly, points that were raised.
Also, I’d hate for you to bow out as a result of any push back I’ve offer. I appreciate your insight.

Thanks for the kind words. My jimmes are 0% rustled, I am just bowing out because the consensus from people who know better seems to be that I was in the wrong here, so I'm not sure I have much more to contribute. I try to be the kind of person who can realize I'm digging myself a hole before it gets too deep. :)

Rex G
11-12-2018, 06:57 PM

This.

I worked 34 years for Houston PD. Houston, of course, is the other-than-summer home of G.H.W. Bush.

TGS
11-13-2018, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the kind words. My jimmes are 0% rustled, I am just bowing out because the consensus from people who know better seems to be that I was in the wrong here, so I'm not sure I have much more to contribute. I try to be the kind of person who can realize I'm digging myself a hole before it gets too deep. :)

Yeah, there's always a rain plan....and there was, in this case.

There's always other commitments on the schedules, too, and a protective detail is simply planning when it makes drive plans. Part of the game is making plans for shit that the protectee isn't likely to do, but just might. That doesn't mean it's practical with the other commitments on the schedule, particularly when you're already scheduled to attend another ceremony at a cemetery the next day in the rain and everyone knew the Belleau Wood ceremony was possibly a bridge-to-far to begin with.

Pure logistics, dude. The Great War Centennial in Paris was a basically a mini-UNGA with almost 300 dignitaries and 60 protective details in attendance......there was a metric shit-ton of stuff going on there other than wreath laying ceremonies.

We can further modify it and say, "people who not only have experience, but were actually there"...…..

….or we could just all be pissed off because the media told us to be angry. In particular, the media organizations that weren't invited to be there....

LockedBreech
11-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Yeah, there's always a rain plan....and there was, in this case.

There's always other commitments on the schedules, too, and a protective detail is simply planning when it makes drive plans. Part of the game is making plans for shit that the protectee isn't likely to do, but just might. That doesn't mean it's practical with the other commitments on the schedule, particularly when you're already scheduled to attend another ceremony at a cemetery the next day in the rain and everyone knew the Belleau Wood ceremony was possibly a bridge-to-far to begin with.

Pure logistics, dude. The Great War Centennial in Paris was a basically a mini-UNGA with almost 300 dignitaries and 60 protective details in attendance......there was a metric shit-ton of stuff going on there other than wreath laying ceremonies.

The post ya quoted already explicitly said I was wrong, so...I agree?