PDA

View Full Version : Consistent failures to return to battery with my Gen 3 Glock 17RTF

Nephrology
03-04-2012, 02:04 PM
OK guys, I need your help diagnosing a fairly advanced problem.

I have a Gen 3 Glock 17RTF, manf. in 2009. Dip extractor.

I have had zero extraction issues with this pistol. None whatsoever

However, I have had consistent problems with this pistol failing to return to battery. For the record, the gun is NIB and has a total roundcount under 3,000 rounds (My logs aren't very thorough but by my count, 2750 or so, give or take a hundred in either direction). The gun is bone stock outside of a new pair of sights. This is my dedicated IDPA/USPSA gun and is a backup home defense pistol to my Glock 19. I have never had this issue with my Glock 19 or 26, so it is not my grip. I am not a master class shooter by any means but I hold my own and generally know how to not limpwrist the pistol.

This problem has been persistent since the day I got it. It happens roughly once every fifty or so rounds. Most recently it happened today at a match - 2 light, off center strikes from a FTRTB out of ~55 rounds or so.

At first, I thought that it was related to my firing pin safety and firing pin safety spring. I made sure it was properly installed to ensure no undue tension was being applied on the trigger bar. I also replaced it with a new FP safety and FP safety spring to ensure that it wasn't a parts issue. I also swapped the recoil spring. Problem persists.

This happens with all kinds of ammo. I have not shot enough high quality defensive JHPs through it, but it occurs with both 115gr and 124gr FMJ. Most recently it did this with 124gr Aguila.

Any tips on what this could be? Is it possible the extractor is somehow at fault (i.e. improper tension on the extractor is keeping it from slipping over the case rim?) Should I simply try another recoil spring? I am a Glock Armorer but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.

My first step is to replace the extractor as it is the "weak link" so to speak in the new Glocks, but like I said, I have never had any ejection issues with the gun. Perhaps it is too tight? How about the slide lock? Is that a possible source of error?

Any help is appreciated.

SecondsCount
03-04-2012, 03:29 PM
I don't know much about Glocks but in the 1911 world this would be a worn recoil spring or too much extractor tension.

It can also be an out of spec breechface.

Nephrology
03-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't know much about Glocks but in the 1911 world this would be a worn recoil spring or too much extractor tension.

It can also be an out of spec breechface.

I actually have localized it to the recoil spring. I popped in a spare that I had lying around and the lockup is MUCH stronger. I will go ahead and order a few more spare recoil springs in case this happens again. I don't know if that is proof or not, but there you go...

I am quite surprised, because I bought it from my friend who had no more than ~3-400 rounds through it and who had gotten it NIB (supposedly). I myself have put ~2300 through it so that puts the total roundscount at sub 5,000 which isn't even yet at the minimum interval for changing it out.

Maybe the gun wasn't NIB? I am somewhat skeptical about this, though, because I am responsible for the majority of finish wear on this pistol so far and it looked NIB to me when I saw it. It is possible that when my buddy made his gun a "frankenglock" (experimented with a 17L length aftermarket slide) that using this recoil assembly in the gun put undue wear and tear on the gun, though the roundcount was so low that I fail to see how that'd be the case.

JHC
03-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Gen 4 RSAs are rated to 7500 rds by the factory but I thought the Gen 3's were only good for 3-4K rounds anyway. Sweet shooter though isn't it? My RTF2 G17 is my all time favorite.

Nephrology
03-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Gen 4 RSAs are rated to 7500 rds by the factory but I thought the Gen 3's were only good for 3-4K rounds anyway. Sweet shooter though isn't it? My RTF2 G17 is my all time favorite.

Indeed. I hate picking between Glocks but the RTF gives me a velcro-like grip on the pistol. Great for IDPA where you don't aren't regularly taking 35+ yard shots. I kind of want a Glock 34 at some point in the future but am in no rush.

Spr1
03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Dry fire with full slide cycling or leaving the slide locked backed for a while will reduce the force the recoil spring can exert.

Nephrology
03-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Guys,

Turns out the guy who I got it from may have "modified" the OEM recoil assembly to fit a Franken glock monstrositiy he was building from lone wolf parts ( I will spare you the details.) Needless to say this is likely the culprint. Comparing the spring with a spare I have in the lock-up test as described the glock armorer's manual shows the replacement spare I had on had to lock up MUCH more firmly than the existing one. needless to say the spare went in and the other spring is now in the trash. Time to order a few more spare parts, who knows what else he monkeyed with...

Nephrology
03-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Here is a survey question as long as this thread is still up -

While I believe that the new RSA should have solved things, should I attempt to shoot the IDPA classifier with it on Monday? or should I use an otherwise trustworthy Glock 19 instead? I will not have an opportunity to test this pistol prior to the classifier. I can always drive down to the hardware store and grab some grip tape for my carry G19 and shoot the classifier with that instead.

Kyle Reese
03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Here is a survey question as long as this thread is still up -

While I believe that the new RSA should have solved things, should I attempt to shoot the IDPA classifier with it on Monday? or should I use an otherwise trustworthy Glock 19 instead? I will not have an opportunity to test this pistol prior to the classifier. I can always drive down to the hardware store and grab some grip tape for my carry G19 and shoot the classifier with that instead.

Go with your reliable glock 19.

Sent from my ADR6400L

jetfire
03-05-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm with Fred. Never take an untested weapon to a match.

fuse
03-06-2012, 02:54 AM
I'm with Fred. Never take an untested weapon to a match.

And deprive me of me lol's? Not cool, sir.

jetfire
03-06-2012, 12:39 PM
I have been squadded with guys at matches that are having all kinds of gun trouble; and when I ask I've heard "I just got this gun a couple of days ago and I really wanted to try it out."

/sigh

Nephrology
03-06-2012, 08:59 PM
I have been squadded with guys at matches that are having all kinds of gun trouble; and when I ask I've heard "I just got this gun a couple of days ago and I really wanted to try it out."

/sigh

Well, this gun has gone for a good 2500+ and is only now showing signs of persistent failures. The new recoil spring genuinely "feels" to me to have strengthened the lockup of the pistol quite a bit. but given that I have no objective way of assessing its reliability before the match, and so as of now, I am going to leave it at home.

Also, despite having to clear 2 malfunctions, I placed 9th out of 35 shooters last sunday (2nd out of 19 unclassified), which was only my 3rd IDPA match. I am confident I will classify appropriately with or without having to clear malfunctions. I am not shooting to make MA here. I would just rather not have to tap-rack-bang it if at all possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0XD9frTdj4

Here is a video of me (brown carhartt) shooting and the malfunctions. I guesstimate they added 2-3 seconds on my time combined.