PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Sessions resigns

HCountyGuy
11-07-2018, 04:14 PM
He resigned at the request of President Trump:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/attorney-general-jeff-sessions-resigns-trumps-request/story?id=59037350

blues
11-07-2018, 04:19 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2lHFgy0bjQVUOtki6_pE0FNG9eOyJr vcu6J1rdSb7IFbcNbioOA

RJ
11-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Trey Gowdy. /thread :cool:

JHC
11-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Trey Gowdy. /thread :cool:

The guy who saw all the classified stuff and said there would be a Russian investigation without the dossier wouldn't be a fit with Trump I don't think.

blues
11-07-2018, 05:47 PM
The guy who saw all the classified stuff and said there would be a Russian investigation without the dossier wouldn't be a fit with Trump I don't think.

I was thinking he might ask another South Carolinian but I don't know if he'd want it...

https://i2.wp.com/www.nationalreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/lindsey-graham-pointing.jpg?resize=789%2C460&ssl=1

PNWTO
11-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Good Riddance.

Sadly while Sessions was a huge POS both Gowdy and Graham have shown that they are spineless. This won’t be good for the country and we’ll continue embarrassing ourselves.

txdpd
11-07-2018, 06:05 PM
Good Riddance.

Sadly while Sessions was a huge POS both Gowdy and Graham have shown that they are spineless. This won’t be good for the country and we’ll continue embarrassing ourselves.

I'll have to disagree with the Sessions being a POS, he's done great work on violent crime, gangs/organized crime, illegal immigration, opiate and other drug trafficking, and human trafficking. Despite, Trump being in the crosshairs, the only scandalous thing about Sessions's DOJ is his boss on Twitter. Sessions had pushed a broad Trump agenda, and done it in a manner that's kept it out of the media and the courts. We can argue about whether or not he should have recused himself from Russia, but everything else has been above board.

GuanoLoco
11-07-2018, 06:15 PM
I'll have to disagree with the Sessions being a POS, he's done great work on violent crime, gangs/organized crime, illegal immigration, opiate and other drug trafficking, and human trafficking. Despite, Trump being in the crosshairs, the only scandalous thing about Sessions's DOJ is his boss on Twitter. Sessions had pushed a broad Trump agenda, and done it in a manner that's kept it out of the media and the courts. We can argue about whether or not he should have recused himself from Russia, but everything else has been above board.

The only thing I don't like about Sessions is that he is an ultraconservative from Alabama (and I'm from Alabama).

The only thing he did 'wrong' was to stand by his principles and refuse to inappropriately subvert an ongoing investigation by recusing himself. That was an honorable action, He stood firm by that decision, and kept his cool while Trump abused him for no legitimate reason.

For that Sessions has my respect.

And Trump continues to earn my disrespect.

pooty
11-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Good Riddance.

How was Sessions a POS?

LittleLebowski
11-07-2018, 07:16 PM
https://politics.theonion.com/inconsolable-jeff-sessions-tries-to-commit-suicide-by-s-1826462420?fbclid=IwAR08CZS1LArpzuLxcMWdgFRoyNeAHd krSZs5ELivjy4TDzz5enwIgJIPP0E

Sensei
11-07-2018, 07:40 PM

I wouldn’t be so sure. Watch this interview with Bret Baier:

https://www.google.com/amp/insider.foxnews.com/amp/article/63966

He said all the right things. I’m actually shocked that Baier didn’t ask him about the position. His prior statements in favor of the probe give him ideal cover. Part of me thinks that he was in contact with the Administration in the weeks headed up to his resignation announcement.

RoyGBiv
11-07-2018, 10:20 PM
If I were POTUS, there's no way Gowdy could escape being drafted.

David S.
11-07-2018, 10:27 PM
Well, bye

Tensaw
11-08-2018, 05:16 AM
While I certainly don't claim to know all there is to know about politics, or Sessions as a man, I do have some pretty good insight into outcomes/efforts under his leadership, both as a U.S. Attorney and as the AG. His directive (more or less): put crooks in jail. That's a pretty good quality in someone who is charged with prosecuting criminals. That same quality has been lacking in other U.S. Attorneys that I have observed. In my opinion, our country will be less good for his departure.

Stephanie B
11-08-2018, 04:35 PM
The only thing I don't like about Sessions is that he is an ultraconservative from Alabama (and I'm from Alabama).

The only thing he did 'wrong' was to stand by his principles and refuse to inappropriately subvert an ongoing investigation by recusing himself. That was an honorable action, He stood firm by that decision, and kept his cool while Trump abused him for no legitimate reason.

For that Sessions has my respect.

And Trump continues to earn my disrespect.
Trump, who has said he likes firing people, couldn’t bring himself to tell Sessions himself. Sessions could have (and should have) told the Designated Lackey: “I serve at the pleasure of the President, and you’re not him.”

Jim Watson
11-08-2018, 04:40 PM
A lot of appointed offices, you hand in your resignation the day you move in. If the boss wants you gone, he just opens the envelope.

Drang
11-09-2018, 10:22 PM
I love the way how, a year ago, the left were calling for Sessions' head, and now they've added his firing to the reasons to want Trumps.

Catshooter
11-11-2018, 08:00 PM
I think Sessions did a lot of good work.

I very much disliked his pushing more civil forfeiture and I wish he'd started to restore some honesty into the executive structure of the FBI and Justice Department.

Cat

GuanoLoco
11-11-2018, 08:19 PM
I respect his decisions, and believe that he was effective in his role.

That said, he was just another conservative asshole who valued the machine and authoritarianism over individual liberties.

Yung
11-11-2018, 08:20 PM
I don't know how much of the work done in the last two years with regards to border security, human trafficking, and other enforcement was owed to him or was achieved in spite of him. If anything, I appreciate his prohibition on 'guidance letters' last year, especially in hindsight with the Kelland Wright case in Ohio.