PDA

View Full Version : SIG LE SOP question

GJM
03-03-2012, 08:02 PM
This afternoon, my wife and I were out shooting in the desert. We had a mock Rogers School Range set up, with 8 inch steel targets from 7 - 20 yards. In the middle of a support hand drill, a BLM ranger drove up, where upon he informed us while our shooting was legal, we were parked in a no vehicle area and would be cited for a $275 fine. I explained that we had made contact with another BLM ranger in the last year, confirmed this area to be legal, and even had a picture of the ranger with me in this exact location. As we vigorously debated our respective positions, I looked down and noted that he had a Sig in a Serpa holster. Funny thing was his hammer was cocked.

While I am no Sig expert, I recalled a 220 model with a thumb safety, and asked him whether he was carrying a 220. He said "no," a 226. I then said "I didn't know there was a 226 model with a thumb safety." He said there isn't, but he had cocked his 226 before getting out of the truck. I nicely said "I bet your training officer didn't teach you that technique." His response was that he was the training officer, and that it was in the holster, although he then proceeded to pull the pistol slightly out of the holster and de-cock it. I nicely suggested he might spend more time learning the DA trigger so he was confident shooting the pistol in that condition.

Educate me, is there any agency that teaches their officers to thumb cock their Sig in the holster?

PS: After more discussion, it became an education session rather than a violation.

John Ralston
03-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Shame on you for shooting on public land! I have had it with all the BS. Do you think it would have gone down the same way if you were taking photos of wildlife? Sounds like will read about him shooting himself in the foot while drawing his cocked P226 out of his Serpa.

YVK
03-03-2012, 09:00 PM
I can't believer you didn't use an opportunity to show him a press-out...

apollo11
03-04-2012, 12:39 AM
I can't believe you did not get the ticket after questioning the training that he is responsible for!

GJM
03-04-2012, 08:32 AM
I can't believe you did not get the ticket after questioning the training that he is responsible for!

Frankly, my bigger concern between the Serpa and cocked hammer was that if he decided he needed to draw his pistol on us for some reason, that he not shoot himself, us, or the next person he made contact with. His then de-cocking the pistol some 30 minutes after initially speaking with us, and after having been in and out of his truck several times underscored he had forgotten the hammer was back. I have since communicated with a Parks employee, issued a Sig, and highly trained shooter, and he isn't aware of any agency teaching the hammer cock, and felt like this would be a big issue for this guy if we pushed it.

Sometimes the way the message is delivered is more important than the actual message, and we all left on good speaking terms. That Ranger and I have subsequently exchanged email, and I offered that my wife or I would take him up flying to see his area from the air, and we invited him shooting with us. Since a local colleague of his was shot badly in the last two years, and defended himself support hand only after suffering life threatening wounds,we would take him thru the Rogers School standards for one hand shooting.

98z28
03-06-2012, 03:58 PM
I worked for a mid-sized agency (about 300 sworn) that issued Sigs. Thumb cocking was a big no-no. I have never heard of a trainer suggesting it is a good idea in any LE circle.

Of course, we had proper holsters, so securing a cocked pistol was not possible. You had to de-cock before you could snap up. I've seen more Serpas on LE hips in the last few months than I have at any other time. What's up with that???

HCM
03-06-2012, 06:54 PM
We issue the DAK and allow personally owned / approved TDA SIG's but I have never heard of any LE agency teaching the hammer cock, in or out of the holster. Both National Parks and BLM Rangers receive their initial training via FLETC and I can assure you he didn't learn that there.

Has anyone here experienced TDA pistols unintentionally becoming cocked in a SERPA holster ?

I'm glad your contact ended on a positive note. Most cops are not "shooters" and don’t get nearly the level training they should unless they seek it on their own. Despite the "squirrel cop" jokes, Rangers have a tough and dangerous job.

New York Times - "In the Wild, a Big Threat to Rangers: Humans"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/us/07rangers.html

Madnik
03-16-2012, 12:53 AM
"I have never heard of a trainer suggesting it is a good idea in any LE circle."

Agreed.

"I've seen more Serpas on LE hips in the last few months than I have at any other time. What's up with that???"

Effective marketing and a competitive price point.

LittleLebowski
03-16-2012, 08:41 AM
It's a sad day when you are about to be ticketed for parking in the desert.