PDA

View Full Version : Ranger 9mm SXT 147 gr

nternal
03-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Up here in Canada one has to really search for decent hollow point ammunition. I did some research and concluded that 147 gr Winchester Ranger SXT would be a good choice for defensive applications in my Glock 17. I was delighted to track down 500 rounds of RA9SXT. Later I found out that this is a outdated and LONG discontinued model (1998) which I had mistaken it for the current RA9T that I had researched (widely used in LE). Is the stuff I got crap? (It was in a pristine factory packaged box of 500 so probably not stored in damp conditions)

MEH
03-03-2012, 06:13 PM
No, it's not crap. It's black talon without the black. The hollow point is a little smaller than the current Ranger offerings but it's still good ammo. I bought 2 cases recently at a really good price. Just wish my M&P would shoot it just a tiny bit more accurately.

JHC
03-03-2012, 10:52 PM
The Ranger line was way ahead of it competition in that era. It's far from poor ammo today. As I understand it, the lack of being "bonded" would principally affect jacket separation in penetration through some types of barriers. And that might degrade some aspects of performance in the target beyond the barrier. Not as big of a factor outside of LE application. I've consistently found any 147 weight Ranger to be about the most accurate ammo I've tried in any of my Glocks.

DocGKR
03-04-2012, 01:29 AM
Compared to RA9T, it is much more likely for the hollow point to plug and fail to expand when fired through heavy clothing. It is also more likely to exhibit core jacket separation.