PDA

View Full Version : SIRT vs. .22LR Conversion Kit

MD7305
03-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm trying to decide between an Advantage Arms kit or a SIRT for supplemental training. I've had good luck with AA kits in the past for marksmanship work, press out, and other skills. While searching for a Gen.4 compatible kit I have also been looking into the SIRT. I really like it and think it would be an advantage for "in home" training. The only SIRT I've used was Todd's briefly at an AFHF class.

Which would be the best bang for my buck training wise? After watching the videos on the NXT website there are tons of possibilities for training with the SIRT but I'd like some honest opinions from users.

JConn
03-03-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm not an expert by any means but I found myself cheating too much with the sirt. The great thing about a 22 conversion is that it doesn't lie. I use mine for 25 yd practice, which you can't really use a sirt for and for press out practice, which I cheat too much on with the sirt. These are the reasons I chose to buy a 22 instead of a sirt. Of course you could just get both :cool:

JV_
03-03-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm not an expert by any means but I found myself cheating too much with the sirt.You can cheat with a .22 kit too, especially with things like with your grip.

JConn
03-03-2012, 05:02 PM
You can cheat with a .22 kit too, especially with things like with your grip.

True, but that is easier for me to control. The 22 is obviously closer to the real thing, so the skill gained is transitioned easier to my 9mm

orionz06
03-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I want both, I only have the SIRT as I can use it all the time, still gotta make it to the range with the .22. I find myself edging towards cheating with the SIRT but I can also identify it and then limit that from SIRT practice.

JV_
03-03-2012, 05:07 PM
JCONN: I understand your point, for me the ability to practice in my home is more valuable.

JSGlock34
03-03-2012, 05:23 PM
The SIRT is more important to me because I can use it every day. As others have pointed out, to use the .22 kit I still have to go to the range.

These days I can get to the range a few times a month - and for those precious range sessions I use full power ammo. I use the SIRT for dry practice in the meantime, and it has been paying dividends. I focus on specific skills with the SIRT (draw, press out) that play to its strengths - anything involving recoil control and the SIRT is the wrong tool.

To me, a .22 kit is of more utility if trying to save money while high volume shooting.

JConn
03-03-2012, 07:08 PM
JCONN: I understand your point, for me the ability to practice in my home is more valuable.

That is of course valid. You also put a lot more 9mm down range than I do. I use the 22 to supplement my actual rounds fired practice. I might have to get a SIRT at some point, because it is certainly better than standard dry fire.

JConn
03-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I think what we are getting to is these are two different tools for two different jobs. But it sounds like you know that. If you already have AA kits for your other Glocks, why not just use one of those for your supplemental .22 practice and buy a SIRT?

MD7305
03-03-2012, 07:26 PM
One of the strong points leading me to the SIRT is the ability to use it at home. I'm going to be a dad in May and I expect my already limited range time to suffer a dramatic cut. I like that I can use it everyday. I may have to try and obtain both. When you guys mention "cheating" with the SIRT what specifically are you referring to? I imagine maybe like shooting air guns, airsoft, etc.?

MD7305
03-03-2012, 07:34 PM
I think what we are getting to is these are two different tools for two different jobs. But it sounds like you know that. If you already have AA kits for your other Glocks, why not just use one of those for your supplemental .22 practice and buy a SIRT?

I agree, both would be optimal but I no longer have an AA kit since I began carrying a full-size Glock. I was curious if one would be more beneficial than the other if a person was limited to one or the other. The SIRT can't replace the .22 for feedback on the range and the .22 won't be as accessible at home as the SIRT.

JSGlock34
03-03-2012, 10:11 PM
One of the strong points leading me to the SIRT is the ability to use it at home. I'm going to be a dad in May and I expect my already limited range time to suffer a dramatic cut. I like that I can use it everyday. I may have to try and obtain both. When you guys mention "cheating" with the SIRT what specifically are you referring to? I imagine maybe like shooting air guns, airsoft, etc.?

Congratulations!

If your range time is going to be more limited, the .22 conversion isn't going to be of much utility. Preserve your limited range time to practice with full power loads. The SIRT can help you practice manipulations at home. Just don't expect it to simulate recoil or to be useful in simulating drills that require multiple shots. With the SIRT, I've focused on marksmanship fundamentals, presentations from the holster, reloading, etc. I've also found the SIRT useful for practicing shooting on the move, use of cover, and certain one handed manipulations (such as weak hand draw) that I can't practice on the range due to safety.

MD7305
03-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Congratulations!

If your range time is going to be more limited, the .22 conversion isn't going to be of much utility. Preserve your limited range time to practice with full power loads. The SIRT can help you practice manipulations at home. Just don't expect it to simulate recoil or to be useful in simulating drills that require multiple shots. With the SIRT, I've focused on marksmanship fundamentals, presentations from the holster, reloading, etc. I've also found the SIRT useful for practicing shooting on the move, use of cover, and certain one handed manipulations (such as weak hand draw) that I can't practice on the range due to safety.

Thanks!! I'm going to have a little girl which is terrifying and a primary motivator for keeping my skills honed:cool:

Your reasoning sounds pretty good to me. Has your SIRT held up pretty well?

JSGlock34
03-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks!! I'm going to have a little girl which is terrifying and a primary motivator for keeping my skills honed:cool:

Your reasoning sounds pretty good to me. Has your SIRT held up pretty well?

The SIRT has held up well to my use - I like it. Everything works like the day I bought it. The slide has some wear from holster presentations - no big deal.

There are some really minor (nit-pick) improvements I would make. I'd prefer it to have a slide stop lever - even a fake one since the slide doesn't reciprocate. I used to have the annoying habit of riding a Glock slide stop and thus have the slide go forward on an empty magazine - I've trained myself to break that habit on the real thing - but I'd like to have even a molded stop on the SIRT to ensure my grip remains the same. I'd also like the lever to tap when practicing reloads.

I also wish there was an external 'off switch' for both lasers.

I understand a new SIRT design with a reciprocating slide and a momentary laser is coming out. I don't find the fact that the slide doesn't move as a real training impediment, but several friends have commented that they would like that feature. I think the momentary laser is a good idea. The SIRT improvements sound like a useful evolution of the design.

Leozinho
03-04-2012, 04:00 PM
The SIRT can't replace the .22 for feedback on the range and the .22 won't be as accessible at home as the SIRT.

An airsoft gun would both provide feedback and be usable at home.

Downsides (compared to SIRT or .22) are that the trigger will not be anywhere close to your real gun, and there may not even be a good clone of your preferred weapon. (I need to check for my benefit if there are any decent M&P airsoft guns. There weren't a few years ago.)

bdcheung
03-04-2012, 04:06 PM
(I need to check for my benefit if there are any decent M&P airsoft guns. There weren't a few years ago.)

There's one that runs off CO2 cartridges and is non-blowback.