PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 "-" connector vs. Gen 4 "-" connector

jetfire
03-03-2012, 03:26 PM
I mentioned a while back how I had swapped out the connector in my Gen 4 Glock 21 (http://gunnuts.net/2011/12/14/gen4-glock-21-review/) for a new factory minus connector. It actually didn't do much to improve the trigger pull, and after a practice session last night I decided to haul the Gen 3 "-" connector out of my G34 and stick it in my 21. I changed no other internal parts.

Prior to changing the connectors, the trigger pull on my G21 measured an average 4.5 lbs. After installing the Gen 3 connector, it measured an average of 4 lbs. Visually the connectors appeared the same before I swapped them out, but clearly there's something different about the Gen 3 connector. My best theory is because the Gen 3 connector has had 10k+ rounds on it and about a hojillion dry fires, it's cleaned up a bit and has better contact surfaces than the Gen 4 connector.

barstoolguru
03-03-2012, 05:07 PM
this guy has some ideas on how to lighten up the trigger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8Qt8ofCAw&list=PL631FBA4D8819D469&index=23&feature=plpp_video

JV_
03-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Rather than remove the dimple on the trigger bar, just lube the points where it rides on the slide, I used slide glide. I have not found that dimple to make a big difference in the trigger pull. What is different, that makes most of the difference in the trigger feel, is the connector angle in the housing.

Also, if you're going to measure the trigger pull weight, you should measure it while pulling the trigger straight back, and make sure you keep using the same point on the trigger. It needs to be consistent, or you can get large variations in the pull weight.

JV_
03-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Caleb - Do you polish any of your connectors?

jetfire
03-03-2012, 05:39 PM
No, with factory Glock triggers regardless of what type, I usually just "shoot them in" and dry fire a bunch. I think that's why the Gen 3 connector was better, it had way more rounds on it than my other one.

JBP55
03-03-2012, 05:52 PM
You can shoot thousands and thousands of rounds from a Glock with a properly lubricated connector and it will not be smooth like one that has been polished with zero rounds fired..

JConn
03-03-2012, 07:11 PM
You can shoot thousands and thousands of rounds from a Glock with a properly lubricated connector and it will not be smooth like one that has been polished with zero rounds fired..

Sounds like a challenge:cool:

JHC
03-03-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't think it's unusual that different minus connectors can feel different in the same gun. I've seen that published on line long ago and I've experienced what appears to validate that. Several may all feel indistinguishable and one can feel better suddenly. No idea while.

Super J
03-04-2012, 11:26 PM
I've switched out all but one of my connectors to the (.) dot connector. I tried it first in my gen 4 17, and loved it enough to switch out the other gen 3 standard and minus connectors as well.

LtDave
03-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I've switched out all but one of my connectors to the (.) dot connector. I tried it first in my gen 4 17, and loved it enough to switch out the other gen 3 standard and minus connectors as well.

Likewise. I've got dot connectors in all my carry Glocks.

JonInWA
03-06-2012, 08:43 AM
In my experience, things vary somewhat from Glock to Glock/connector to conector. And, of course, one of the cumulative effects of use is to burnish/polish the connector/triggerbar interface, smoothing the triggerpull over time (with the ideal result usually being achieved between the 500-1000 round point). I've never felt the need to polish any of mine beyond what is naturally achieved via use, but I do perform a periodic detail-strip and judiciously lubricate the contact/interface surfaces with TW25B.

My Gen 3 G17 has had a superb triggerpull right out of the box; it has a standard connector/coil triggerspring. My Gen 3 G21 and one of my Gen 3 G19s have the #5/"dot" connector, resulting in minor improvement in the G21, but major favorable improvements in the G19. My remaining Gen 3 G19 and Gen 3 G34 both have Glock "minus" connectors and NY1 springs, but there's a difference in their triggerpull feels, quite possibly primarily due to the greater use on my older G34 compared to the newer G19.

Overall, I'm a major fan of the "dot" connector/coil triggerspring and the "minus" connector and the NY1 spring-but the OEM standard connector/coil spring setup of my G17 isn't going anywhere, and will remain unmolested.

If I decide to get a Gen4 (and either the .357 G31 or G32 are temptingly on my purchase horizon) I'll initially remain with the OEM "dot"/standard connector (appropriately lubricated), but may experiment with a "minus"/NY1 configuration; I might be tempted to try one of Charlie Vanek's OEM polished "minus" connectors-just for science, of course.

Another factor to be kept in mind with Gen 3 Glocks is the specific triggerbar; recent production Gen 3 Glocks (at least the 9mm ones) will come with what I term the Gen 3.5 triggerbar, which is characterized with having a longer "tail" (the attachement point where the coil trigger spring is attached) with a channel/groove for the coil spring (to reduce flexation fatigue in the coil triggerspring); this triggerbar, due to the increased tail length will also have a heavier triggerpull (but this can also vary from triggerbar-to-triggerbar/Glock-to-Glock). In the Glocks where I'm running a NY1, I personally prefer the older triggerbar with its concurrently slightly lighter triggerpull; the preservative benefits regarding the coil spring in the Gen 3.5 are irrelevent when going with a NY1.

As a sidebar comment, all of my Glocks are used for carry and competition (primarily IDPA and GSSF).

Best, Jon