PDA

View Full Version : Considering OC Spray

Cypher
10-31-2018, 03:07 PM
I'm seeking input from the collective.

Colorado Springs is overrun with homeless people, you can't get away from them. At least every week or so I run into some crackhead sleeping in the stairwell on my way to or from work. With the higher number of encounters there's a higher chance of a confrontation. So I'm considering a small can of OC as a secondary weapon.

I've been through OC training and I know that OC doesn't incapacitate people instantly but if I need to spray someone Im pretty sure it will slow them down enough for me to get away.

Is there one OC that's clearly hotter than the others?

mtnbkr
10-31-2018, 03:09 PM
Is there one OC that's clearly hotter than the others?
Lately it seems all the cool kids are suggesting Sabre Red.

Chris

Cypher
10-31-2018, 03:21 PM
Lately it seems all the cool kids are suggesting Sabre Red.

Chris

I've been sprayed with Sabre Red, was not impressed. I've been told it had less effect on me because I knew it was coming.

mtnbkr
10-31-2018, 03:26 PM
I've been sprayed with Sabre Red, was not impressed. I've been told it had less effect on me because I knew it was coming.

You sure it wasn't 3-n-1? I've read it's not as "good". I dunno. I've never been sprayed with anything so I can only go by what I read. I don't recall where I read it, but there was an article describing how OC works and the different metrics. Apparently Sabre Red scores slightly lower on the common Schofield measurement, but does quite well on another measurement that I am struggling to remember at the moment. My takeaway from that article was that Sabre Red was likely the best of what was commonly available to me. I've seen it recommended in a number of places, so I *assumed* it was good to go.

Chris

Wyoming Shooter
10-31-2018, 03:30 PM
I did my OC training with this: http://www.defense-technology.com/all-products/first-defense-1.3-pct-mk-4-cone-oc-aerosol-1012576.html#start=1. It was nasty. I prefer to be tased.

Cypher
10-31-2018, 03:47 PM
You sure it wasn't 3-n-1? I've read it's not as "good". I dunno. I've never been sprayed with anything so I can only go by what I read. I don't recall where I read it, but there was an article describing how OC works and the different metrics. Apparently Sabre Red scores slightly lower on the common Schofield measurement, but does quite well on another measurement that I am struggling to remember at the moment. My takeaway from that article was that Sabre Red was likely the best of what was commonly available to me. I've seen it recommended in a number of places, so I *assumed* it was good to go.

Chris

It was Sabre Red. They sprayed us with the same stuff we carried on our belt and they made us open our eyes when they sprayed us. They made sure we were good and contaminated

Magsz
10-31-2018, 04:10 PM
I have no clue what it is about me but OC spray is horrifically incapacitating.

I would never, ever, EVER want to have any kind of physical altercation with someone covered in OC spray. So far in three years, i've been lucky at work but I know that day is going to come and its not going to be pretty.

As a deterrent, i think OC has its place but against a determined attacker, you need to consider the effect the OC may have on you as well. Just some food for thought as nothing short of deadly force is final and there are pluses and minuses to everything. TO ME, the negatives outweigh the benefits. Other's may have a differing opinion based upon their reaction to it, or lack thereof.

At best, you OC the guy and they run off.

At worst, you're now fighting a dude that looks like a human Cheeto and you're covered in the shit too.

mtnbkr
10-31-2018, 04:43 PM
It was Sabre Red. They sprayed us with the same stuff we carried on our belt and they made us open our eyes when they sprayed us. They made sure we were good and contaminated

Gotcha.

This what I was referring to earlier:

Determining the strength of different manufacturers of pepper sprays can be confusing and difficult. Statements a company makes about their product strength are not regulated. A method using the capsaicin and related capsaicinoids (CRC) content of the product is unreliable as well, because there are six different types of capsaicinoids, causing different levels of irritation. Manufacturers do not state which particular type of capsaicinoids are used. Personal pepper sprays can range from a low of 0.18% to a high of 3%. Most law enforcement pepper sprays use between 1.3% and 2%. The federal government of the United States has determined that bear attack deterrent sprays must contain at least 1.0% and not more than 2% CRC. CRC does not measure the amount of OC within the formulation. Instead, CRC is the pain-producing component of the OC that produces the burning sensation.

A chart I found elsewhere had Sabre Red scoring higher than Fox Labs, which I thought was supposed to be the strongest stuff out there.

BTW, I'm an idiot. I meant to type Scoville, not Schofield. :rolleyes:

Chris

CWM11B
10-31-2018, 05:03 PM
I like and carry Zarc brand. Great for private citizen use because of extended recovery time, giving you more time to get away.

UNM1136
10-31-2018, 06:06 PM
It was nasty. I prefer to be tased.

Very much this.

I like the Taser for a lot of reasons. I am one of the few cops in my area that still carries OC. Two different tools. I would have a Taser in my car, and a keychain OC, especially if for whatever reason I couldn't have a gun. I think "ahem" an inventor (@ Tom Jones) could make a pile of money off of a pocket clipped and sizeished OC spray as discussed in the Surefire Stilletto thread...Maybe one that uses something similar to those readily available ASP reloads/inert trainers...but the FDA paperwork might be really daunting.

First defense is my first choice, for a while now, but I still have a part full can that expired in 2005. Anything smaller than the MK3 size should be considered single use only, so buy more than one. If I were shopping right now I would want a coulpe of the Kimber pepperblasters to play with. It has also been more than 20 years since I carried a kubaton, but the ASP OC keychain would likely be something I would want to play with as well, althought the short range may ultimately diqualify it. I have no experience with either product, so some play time would be necessary.

Also, be aware of the hydaulic needle effect, and that OC spray has a minimum safe distance. Might be less of a problem for a civialian, but it is a real issue for LE.

pat

Gadfly
10-31-2018, 06:41 PM
I have OCed 5-6 times. It SUCKS every time. But it has its place. Especially if you have 2-3 people to deal with. Taser works on one. OC works until the can runs out. Just keep in mind it has a lag time to kick in. 3-10 seconds. Think about biting into a jalapeño, it’s warm at first, and after you chew and swallow it really kicks in. Same with OC. The burn starts slow, but by 10 seconds, HOLLY SHIT it SUCKS.

If you have not been sprayed, I actually suggest you get with an experienced friend and get a little on you. You need to know how it works and what to expect if the wind blows it back onto you, or you have to tussle. Look up videos of cops getting sprayed and having to do a drill like fighting or handcuffing. You CAN still function when sprayed, you just have to function blind and not panic. Most folks panic...

OC is a good option to have.