PDA

View Full Version : Bears versus wolf in a Dutch park

LittleLebowski
10-30-2018, 06:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o822wdJDqmY

OlongJohnson
10-30-2018, 06:34 PM
The speed of those bears when they launch toward the wolves is amazing. If you think you're far enough away, you're not.

Sherman A. House DDS
10-30-2018, 06:44 PM
The speed of those bears when they launch toward the wolves is amazing. If you think you're far enough away, you're not.

As formidable as wolves are, they had no workable weapons against those bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nephrology
10-30-2018, 06:44 PM
Too bad for the wolf. Good reminder why I carry a gun when I walk my dog.

OlongJohnson
10-30-2018, 07:17 PM
As formidable as wolves are, they had no workable weapons against those bears.

It's hard to carry a USP45 full of Super when you don't have opposable thumbs.

Mjolnir
10-30-2018, 07:38 PM
Right outside someone’s kitchen window... [emoji102][emoji2960]

Time to sell and move!

El Cid
10-30-2018, 07:53 PM
I will say this for the wolves - pretty bad ass to stay and fight even if it was futile. How many other species would do that vice running to safety?

Any wolf experts? Is that just loyalty like we see in domesticated canines? Or was the one getting munched on the pack leader?

TheNewbie
10-30-2018, 08:00 PM
I guess I need to hit the weights a little harder if I'm going to fight off three bears.

Mjolnir
10-30-2018, 09:39 PM
I will say this for the wolves - pretty bad ass to stay and fight even if it was futile. How many other species would do that vice running to safety?

Any wolf experts? Is that just loyalty like we see in domesticated canines? Or was the one getting munched on the pack leader?

Loyalty like we see with dogs.

Don’t know the hierarchy of the wolves. But they will defend their own to the extent possible, as we saw.

blues
10-30-2018, 10:39 PM
As the saying goes: It's not the size of the dog in the fight...

...it's the size of the fight in the dog.

fixer
10-30-2018, 10:53 PM
Few things come to mind watching that.

1. Didn't think bears would eat a dog.
2. Those wolves were just annoying gnats to those brown bears.
3. Kudos to the wolves for staying with it.
4. 10 mm . Must upgrade to 10 mm when out walking in bear country. Those bears shook off several snipes from those wolves like they were bee stings.

JAD
10-30-2018, 11:04 PM

...it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Actually, it’s the size of the lunch in the bear.

Mjolnir
10-31-2018, 06:11 AM

1. Didn't think bears would eat a dog.
2. Those wolves were just annoying gnats to those brown bears.
3. Kudos to the wolves for staying with it.
4. 10 mm . Must upgrade to 10 mm when out walking in bear country. Those bears shook off several snipes from those wolves like they were bee stings.

Why would you think a bear would not eat a dog?

It’s made of flesh, right?

Bears eat flesh.

They eat humans.

They were eating the Wolf they had, too.

[emoji102]

Hambo
10-31-2018, 06:29 AM

4. .338 Win Mag . Must upgrade to .338 WIn Mag when out walking in bear country. Those bears shook off several snipes from those wolves like they were bee stings.

FIFY.

JHC
10-31-2018, 06:31 AM
Dutch park? Makes me think it's like a zoo kind of park as I wouldn't figure bears like that, nor wolves to live au natural in Holland. If so, what kind of shit park are they running there?

Drang
10-31-2018, 06:41 AM

...it's the number of bears in the fight.

okie john
10-31-2018, 10:16 AM
Dutch park? Makes me think it's like a zoo kind of park as I wouldn't figure bears like that, nor wolves to live au natural in Holland. If so, what kind of shit park are they running there?

The best part was the calm voices of the women and children as they watched a wolf get torn apart by bears. Can you imagine the keening and wailing that would have ensued had that happened in the US? And the lawsuits against the park for traumatizing people? But the Dutch are like, "Ach, it sucks to be a wolf today. What did you bring for lunch?"

Okie John

JHC
10-31-2018, 10:19 AM
The best part was the calm voices of the women and children as they watched a wolf get torn apart by bears. Can you imagine the keening and wailing that would have ensued had that happened in the US? And the lawsuits against the park for traumatizing people? But the Dutch are like, "Ach, it sucks to be a wolf today. What did you bring for lunch?"

Okie John

Well, what can I say. They euthanize folks there too.

blues
10-31-2018, 10:20 AM
Well, what can I say. They euthanize folks there too.

At least they get to toke up a storm first. ;)

Peally
10-31-2018, 11:58 AM

Okie John

Both countries would involve people standing around like fucking idiots staring and taking photos. People not being too bright is as universally reliable as gravity.

Also gotta concur with JHC, the fact that this happened right out a window in a "park" either makes me think they have a very different definition of the word or they have some very Soviet-level stances towards safety and competence there.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-31-2018, 12:14 PM

Okie John

I was out in the drive way. A few houses down, a cat ambushed a dove who was walking in the street and started to chow down. A mom with a baby in a stroller got all excited and charged the cat to drive it from the obviously dead bird.

Shotgun
10-31-2018, 01:34 PM
I don’t understand having wolves and bears in the same enclosure unless they are feeding the excess wolves to the bears.

Agree with the .338 Win Mag argument.

RevolverRob
10-31-2018, 01:45 PM
I don’t understand having wolves and bears in the same enclosure unless they are feeding the excess wolves to the bears.

Here's a 'press release' - https://eindhovennews.com/news/2018/10/bears-tear-up-wolf-in-dierenrijk-very-sad/

It was at a zoo -

“This is very sad. We see this as an incident, because the bears and the wolves have been living together in harmony for a long time, “says a spokesman for the zoo.

Four bears and four wolves are put together to create a ‘challenging’ atmosphere. The animals occasionally challenge each other to play. The zoo found it inconceivable that this could happen.

I think it might be time to fire the zookeepers and management and replace them with people who maybe have studied some nature for a minute. :rolleyes:

Peally
10-31-2018, 01:47 PM
It was a zoo? Management can all be shit-canned and charged for stupidity for all I care, that's an unacceptably low IQ to be entrusted with anything more than a spatula.

This is like the fourth thread I've read today detailing people being absolutely mentally disabled beyond comprehension.

JHC
10-31-2018, 02:15 PM
It was a zoo? Management can all be shit-canned and charged for stupidity for all I care, that's an unacceptably low IQ to be entrusted with anything more than a spatula.

This is like the fourth thread I've read today detailing people being absolutely mentally disabled beyond comprehension.

+1 Like cramping brown bears and wolves together in a limited space mimics natural habitat. In the one in a million or whatever that wolves and grizzlies might decisively engage in AK - it's a far different thing that to drop them into an aquarium together. Negligent.

JHC
10-31-2018, 02:19 PM
Agree with the .338 Win Mag argument.

I dunno about the .338 thing. GJM is game planning this scenario for a heavy semi. ;)

Hambo
10-31-2018, 02:31 PM
I dunno about the .338 thing. GJM is game planning this scenario for a heavy semi. ;)

Meh, he's only talking about three bears on dry land. ;) When he's ready to go toe to toe with four in the water he'll have my attention.

RevolverRob
10-31-2018, 02:36 PM
Meh, he's only talking about three bears on dry land. ;) When he's ready to go toe to toe with four in the water he'll have my attention.

12-gauge Brennekes in 25-round drum from a reliable Saiga.

That's my minimum "four bears in the water" gun.

JHC
10-31-2018, 05:15 PM
Weird irrational impulse. It was a wolf but at some primordial level, I saw a dog. And I thought of just going ham on those bears with whatever I had on hand.

Clusterfrack
10-31-2018, 06:03 PM
I saw a Nature show on wolf pack vs grizzly fights over kills in Alaska. Wolf pack won and the bear ran away every time. Note: pack of wolves vs single male grizzly.

I’m guessing those zoo bears had some bite wounds.

Shotgun
10-31-2018, 06:32 PM

It is inconceivable that someone could be that inconceivably stupid by putting wolves in with bears.

I saw a Nature show on wolf pack vs grizzly fights over kills in Alaska. Wolf pack won and the bear ran away every time. Note: pack of wolves vs single male grizzly.

Many of us have seen those. Single bear is simply harrassed until he decides it’s not worth the hundred Wolf bites to have a leg of moose/elk/caribou. The damn Dutch zoo had essentially a pack of grizzlies vs the same number of wolves. Inconceivably inconceivable.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-31-2018, 07:56 PM
I'm surprised nobody has suggested warm porridge as a solution to the Three Bears problem.

Has to due with the anal stage - see Interpretations - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldilocks_and_the_Three_Bears :rolleyes:

idahojess
10-31-2018, 09:10 PM
http://youtu.be/HGP0XOer0Ds

Mjolnir
10-31-2018, 10:03 PM
http://youtu.be/HGP0XOer0Ds

They seemed soooo friendly... [emoji849]

Cypher
10-31-2018, 11:01 PM
I get the whole "Circle of Life" thing but I hate watching an animal who had no choice in the matter suffering because humans are stupid.

I was driving through Yellowstone several years ago and got stuck in what they call a "Bear Jam" (traffic jam caused by tourists taking pictures of bears). It was a young Grizzly on the side of a hill feeding on roots maybe 30 yards from the road. I watched a woman get out of her car with her kids and walk to the shoulder of the road. The bear finally decided it had enough and took off running up the hill. I can't give you an exact speed but I was surprised.

Probably 10 years later I was hiking through Cheyenne Canyon and came upon a Black Bear on the side of the canyon feeding on berries getting ready for hibernation. He decided he didn't like me watching him and took off running up the side of the canyon. He looked like 400 pounds of fur covered jello. Every time his feet hit the ground it looked like a wave rolled through his fat. Again, I was astonished at how fast he got up that hill.