PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and USPSA, so a question

HIPCHIP
10-29-2018, 08:16 PM
Hi all, just joined and am hoping to get into my local USPSA club come Dec or Jan. Not sure about all the rules, but trying to have the correct equipment to practice with until am able to do my first meet. I'm 62, retired police. Have a bad back and some tummy problems. As an officer I wore a thick leather pant belt then wore a thick leather "Sam Brown" holster belt over the top of pant belt to hold all my equipment, and used "Keepers" to keep the two belts together.

I regularly wear the thick leather pant belt because it holds up my pants well and will hold my CCW and ammo with no problems. Just have to put everything on and push it through the belt loops on the pants. With the bad back and tummy I am now forced to wear suspenders too, but not a problem, but it is a bit of a pain to try and put on the belt and gear and push through the belt loops.

Since I'm kind of an old school guy, and just want to compete for fun, I just picked up a S&W 586 6" 6-shot .38/.357 revolver to compete with. Purchased a Safariland competition holster and grabbed a bunch of speed loader pouches. This will all fit on my pant belt just fine, but figured it would fit on a Sam Brown type holster belt better as it's a whole bunch easier to just throw on the outer belt over the pant belt. Started looking at some of the shooting videos and it appears that you can wear a dedicated holster belt over your pant belt, so just confirming this? Looked at Midway USA sight for a holster type belt and figured Safariland would make a belt to fit their holster, but only found two belts on the site and not certain how they work so that they don't slip around.

So just trying to confirm that a dedicated holster belt is authorized for USPSA ( I assume that IDPA wouldn't allow that as it's supposed to be normal CCW type gear?) and a good place to look for a belt. I assume I would use a standard "Keeper" to keep the belts connected to each other? I like the leather pant belt as it conforms, so don't want to have to get a new pant belt that connects somehow to the holster belt, but if I have to then I will.

Thanks in advance for any info and advice. I may try and shoot my 1911's at some time too, so trying to get equipment that will allow me to change things up if I want to.

Lon
10-29-2018, 09:14 PM
Welcome.

Inner and outer belts are standard for USPSA. A loop side out Velcro belt goes in your belt loops. A more rigid outer belt with the harder hook side on the inside of the belt allows you to attach the 2. Some people use belt keepers, others don’t. I use them.

Here’s a good one:
https://cpwsa.com/collections/belts/products/cr-speed-ultra-competition-belt

HIPCHIP
10-29-2018, 09:41 PM
Welcome.

Inner and outer belts are standard for USPSA. A loop side out Velcro belt goes in your belt loops. A more rigid outer belt with the harder hook side on the inside of the belt allows you to attach the 2. Some people use belt keepers, others don’t. I use them.

Here’s a good one:
https://cpwsa.com/collections/belts/products/cr-speed-ultra-competition-belt

Thanks for the info. Gave me a few ideas of something to try. Weight keeps going up and down, so need flexibility of size of belt. I could use a different pant belt and use my heavy leather belt as holster belt for the time being. I have a few months for trial and error so if it doesn’t work then the company you have listed is a good option.

If I was still skinny I could just wear my old Sam Brown, but I’m twice the man I used to be! (LOL).

Thanks again.

GuanoLoco
10-29-2018, 09:52 PM
For USPSA we might get 1-2 revo shooters, if any, in a 60+ person match. It’s not a very popular choice but if it works for you then go for it.

Lon
10-29-2018, 10:04 PM
For USPSA we might get 1-2 revo shooters, if any, in a 60+ person match. It’s not a very popular choice but if it works for you then go for it.

A couple years ago I shot Revo for a season just because I wanted to get better with a revolver. Was a lot of fun. Had no illusions about winning. Not when shooting a 6 shot 38 when the .45 was king and the 8 shot .38 was queen.

Sal Picante
10-29-2018, 10:42 PM
Most of the inner/outer belts these days are velcro lined - they'll stick to each other pretty well. I usually used a keeper with mine just to make sure it stayed put.

Having another belt for another pistol/platform is pretty much par for the course.

Welcome to USPSA.

This might help too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBUawnKu51Q

HIPCHIP
10-29-2018, 11:34 PM
A couple years ago I shot Revo for a season just because I wanted to get better with a revolver. Was a lot of fun. Had no illusions about winning. Not when shooting a 6 shot 38 when the .45 was king and the 8 shot .38 was queen.

I'm 62, have a bad back, a shot tummy, had a massive heart attack with triple bypass in 2014, so I have no delusions of being a national, state, or club champion. I just want to go out and have some fun. I shot a 6" revolver back when I started as a police officer in 1978, and still have to shoot the revolver once a year for a CCW qualification shoot. I really enjoy shooting the revolver and just thought I'd be different and have some fun. I can't run around and jump and crawl and get crazy, so I'll let the young'uns go out and be crazy. If my local range would let me do more than just stand there and shoot more than once every second, and let me move around a bit, use a holster, then I wouldn't even need to shoot competition, but just standing there is BORING! Only way I can shoot and scoot is at home with my laser gun and target!

I figure if I want to get more involved and really compete, then I can pull out my 1911's or order up the wiz-bang S&W Performance Center revolver, but with my health I doubt it. I used to race motocross, and that beat me up pretty good, so haven't ridden in 12 years and sometimes it screws me up for shooting. Been trying to get out and shoot USPSA or IDPA for years, but the back and heart attack screwed that up. I'm finally to the point where I can try and do something, so figure I'd just go out and have fun.

Now just have to figure out the different rules between USPSA and IDPA. I thought my local range was IDPA, but it turns out it's USPSA, so starting my research all over again. Looked at the rules and saw where no shoulder rigs were allowed and the grip can only be below the belt line if you are active duty police or military, so they can wear their duty gear, so assumed that might have meant we couldn't wear an outside holster belt. Just clearing up some little things before I take the required intro class, then hopefully can shoot the next day or next meet. Just getting excited and don't want to make too many rule mistakes.

Jim Watson
10-30-2018, 12:02 PM
You have a gun.
You have a holster.
You have a belt.

Do you have speedloaders and carriers?

I recommend that if you have anything at all suitable, use it.
Shoot a while and be sure you like it before sinking money into dedicated equipment.

P.S. I am 73 and wear belt and suspenders, too. I shoot both IDPA and USPSA. I guess the conventional holster required by IDPA might cost me a little time on the USPSA draw vs a skeletonized racegun rig, but my lack of fleetness of foot far overshadows a half second on the draw.

HIPCHIP
10-30-2018, 01:12 PM
You have a gun.
You have a holster.
You have a belt.

Do you have speedloaders and carriers?

I recommend that if you have anything at all suitable, use it.
Shoot a while and be sure you like it before sinking money into dedicated equipment.

P.S. I am 73 and wear belt and suspenders, too. I shoot both IDPA and USPSA. I guess the conventional holster required by IDPA might cost me a little time on the USPSA draw vs a skeletonized racegun rig, but my lack of fleetness of foot far overshadows a half second on the draw.

Basically have everything from the job, but some of the stuff just don't fit no mo!! ;) Found an inexpensive belt to try. If I really get into it I can go crazy, but I saw rigs for over $500, and I ain't spendin that kind'a money just to play. Ammo is gonna cost enough!! I can always Micky Mouse something. My biggest problem is my pant size goes up and down like a yo-yo! :)

Spartan1980
10-30-2018, 01:34 PM
I sent my 686 out and had it cut for moonclips. Then I bought 50 Hearthco clips a $5.50 apiece. I also was working on a nice 5" 625 and as soon as I got it setup, USPSA changed the rules to allow 8 shots in minor PF. Don't shoot revo anymore because of that, but shoot what you need to have fun. I still miss shooting the round guns in USPSA sometimes, there's a lot of satisfaction in a stage where you can make a tight shot and save a reload.

Revo in IDPA makes more sense but there are so many goofy rules. Or at least there were, it's been several years since I shot a IDPA match. If I had one closer I'd still shoot them, but it's hard to drive 2+ hours to shoot 100 or so rounds.

HIPCHIP
10-30-2018, 08:40 PM
I sent my 686 out and had it cut for moonclips. Then I bought 50 Hearthco clips a $5.50 apiece. I also was working on a nice 5" 625 and as soon as I got it setup, USPSA changed the rules to allow 8 shots in minor PF. Don't shoot revo anymore because of that, but shoot what you need to have fun. I still miss shooting the round guns in USPSA sometimes, there's a lot of satisfaction in a stage where you can make a tight shot and save a reload.

Revo in IDPA makes more sense but there are so many goofy rules. Or at least there were, it's been several years since I shot a IDPA match. If I had one closer I'd still shoot them, but it's hard to drive 2+ hours to shoot 100 or so rounds.

I just want to have some fun. I may come in last, but I’ll be top revolver! (LOL).
I have been told that IDPA would probably be more what I’m used to shooting as a cop, but closest range that shoots it is well over an hour away. My local USPSA range is 10 minutes, so if my back or something goes out I’m home in minutes. As long as I’m shooting I figure I’m getting range time in, so as long as it’s fun and I can afford it, who cares. Production Class Revolver is still shooting like I used to for me, so under what organization doesn’t really matter. ICORE looks like fun too, but I’m not driving 100 miles one way to do it.

Spartan1980
10-31-2018, 12:03 AM
I just want to have some fun. I may come in last, but I’ll be top revolver! (LOL).
I have been told that IDPA would probably be more what I’m used to shooting as a cop, but closest range that shoots it is well over an hour away. My local USPSA range is 10 minutes, so if my back or something goes out I’m home in minutes. As long as I’m shooting I figure I’m getting range time in, so as long as it’s fun and I can afford it, who cares. Production Class Revolver is still shooting like I used to for me, so under what organization doesn’t really matter. ICORE looks like fun too, but I’m not driving 100 miles one way to do it.

I was lucky when I was shooting it. Had a good group of revo shooters near me. One A class that made Master, another Master and one that really worked hard and ran up through to GM in about 3 years. It's really fun to look at the scores and see a revo shooter beating out limited and production shooters and finishing in the top 10-15 overall. I wish I was one of them. Things were just starting to "click" when they changed the 8 shot rule. I moved to single stack. :mad:

HIPCHIP
10-31-2018, 06:02 PM
I was lucky when I was shooting it. Had a good group of revo shooters near me. One A class that made Master, another Master and one that really worked hard and ran up through to GM in about 3 years. It's really fun to look at the scores and see a revo shooter beating out limited and production shooters and finishing in the top 10-15 overall. I wish I was one of them. Things were just starting to "click" when they changed the 8 shot rule. I moved to single stack. :mad:

I don't know if there are any revolver shooters with my group, but hopefully. Looking at the S&W custom shop stuff and they are only 7 shots, so probably missing the 8 shot one, but if I get frustrated then I'll just grab my 1911or try and talk the wife into letting me get a more current competition revolver. I just want to keep my skills up. Can't shoot really fast anyway, but I may learn, so just try and keep my accuracy up. Eyesight not like it was when I was a kid, so it will be kind of new all over again. I was a Range and Weapons officer back in the day, and still impress the kids when I go out to qualify, so hopefully I'll confound a few of the non-revolver guys just for fun! :)

Sal Picante
11-01-2018, 10:59 PM

I started shooting USPSA with a 686 cut for 'clips. TK Custom in IL did the cylinder work for me.

I know what you mean, though, about the satisfaction.

Spartan1980
11-03-2018, 10:25 AM
I started shooting USPSA with a 686 cut for 'clips. TK Custom in IL did the cylinder work for me.

I know what you mean, though, about the satisfaction.

TK did mine too. Think I had the cylinder back in a week or so. He does good work.