PDA

View Full Version : Early Unlocking question

Mitchell, Esq.
03-01-2012, 11:50 PM
I've read the posts here regarding early unlocking in pistols here, and I'm still confused.

How is it a handgun with this problem can shoot at 15 yards just fine...yet at 25 yards be all over the map?

Why isn't the accuracy impacted at the shorter distance as well as the longer distance?

JHC
03-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Just geometry I think. Draw the angles from the muzzle to 15 yards of say a 3" group = 1.5" radius left and right of a 3" center to center group and extend those "widening" angles out to 25 yards. Geometry is not my friend at 50 yds.

Lomshek
03-16-2012, 10:21 PM
I've read the posts here regarding early unlocking in pistols here, and I'm still confused.

How is it a handgun with this problem can shoot at 15 yards just fine...yet at 25 yards be all over the map?

Why isn't the accuracy impacted at the shorter distance as well as the longer distance?

My thoughts on it are this. The early unlocking leads to erratic barrel position (as the bullet leaves the barrel). Consistent unlocking is required for accuracy and since we are having inconsistent unlocking we get rounds thrown high, left and right randomly. At closer distances that random pattern has less effect and is not linear.