PDA

View Full Version : HK crowd, help, P30 down.

YVK
03-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Something broke, and I think that something is a trigger return spring. Gun is a P30 LEM. Trigger doesn't reset when slide cycles, hammer stays down. I can push trigger back up with my finger, and hammer comes to a resting position. From there I can break a shot (dry, of course) and return to no-reset state. When I decided to remove the slide, an entire left-sided slide release lever came out. The right-sided lever stays in position, but I didn't try to pry it away.

My questions are:

- Am I correct it is a TRS that broke?

- If yes, then I assume it is one of these parts that I need to get http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Heavy-Trigger-Return-Spring-For-HK-P30-260p2195.htm or http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Light-Trigger-Return-Spring-For-P30-260p1801.htm ?

- If yes, who has a good manual/tutorial how to replace it? From what I read, it is a major PITA, but I don't want to spend $70 on shipping the gun to H&K.

- If I am wrong, then what broke?

For those who are interested, live round count is 5732. I don't count dry-fire "rounds"; my estimate would be 1/2 to 3/4 of live count.

CCT125US
03-01-2012, 10:27 PM
You are correct in that that a broken trs would cause that. In regards to the slide stop, the trs puts pressure on it as well..... so it makes sense that it would simply fall out. The right side slide stop will come out if it is rotated up and pulled straight out. There are online tutorials related to replacement. It is very simple to do if you have done it before and have 3 hands...... best to find someone local who can help..

JV_
03-02-2012, 08:02 AM
You won't need 3 hands if you tape the trigger forward to help with alignment.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

wrt81
03-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Here's a thread where JodyH outline some steps on changing it out:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?498-H-amp-K-trigger-return-springs

I can't remember exactly who had the suggestion of taping the trigger forward when installing a new trigger return spring in H&K's, but they are a genius.
I swapped in a new TRS in my P2000 in about 2 minutes with minimal frustration.

Punch out trigger pin.
Remove old spring.
Start trigger pin back in "large" hole just to the point where it protrudes into the spring cavity.
Insert 1/16" punch in "small" hole just to the point where it protrudes into the spring cavity.
Wrap tape around the back of the trigger and around the front of the trigger guard to hold the trigger in the forward position.
Insert new TRS with needle nose pliers.
Use the nose of the pliers to compress the spring.
Press 1/16" punch through spring once it's aligned.
Now use punch to help wiggle TRS as you use the trigger pin to push out the punch.
Make the final alignments and push the trigger pin all the way in.
Function test and hit the range.

I used those steps on a USP, along with putting the frame in a vise to help hold it still, and it was pretty easy to do.

YVK
03-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks, gents, this is helpful, and I found a tutorial on HKPRO. I couple of other things would be appreciated:

1. Does anybody have a photo where exactly frame leg of the spring goes to and how it relates to left slide release lever? Since my is broken, I can't make a visual reference where I need to stick it in.

2. I am not sure when I need to reinstall slide levers since it seems that the frame leg of the spring engages a left slide release lever somehow. So, do I

- install the spring, the right slide release lever, then wiggle in a left slide release, or
- have left slide release lever in place, install the spring, then install the right lever,

or there is some other way.

EVP
03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Nevermind the others beat me to it!

wrt81
03-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks, gents, this is helpful, and I found a tutorial on HKPRO. I couple of other things would be appreciated:

1. Does anybody have a photo where exactly frame leg of the spring goes to and how it relates to left slide release lever? Since my is broken, I can't make a visual reference where I need to stick it in.

2. I am not sure when I need to reinstall slide levers since it seems that the frame leg of the spring engages a left slide release lever somehow. So, do I

- install the spring, the right slide release lever, then wiggle in a left slide release, or
- have left slide release lever in place, install the spring, then install the right lever,

or there is some other way.

I just snapped some pics of my P30 for you. It's with my phone, but they are decent. As far as installing it, I'm not 100% sure of the best way as I've yet to do it on my P30. I do know that you should be able to do it either way, as I've had the left release lever out before and put it back in with the TRS in place. However, getting it by the spring can be a a pain sometimes since I try to bend the spring as little as possible as to not damage it. I'd say try it with the lever in place first and if you can't get it try it without.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy288/wrt81/IMAG0980.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy288/wrt81/IMAG0981.jpg

Spr1
03-02-2012, 12:49 PM
This is how I did it:

Replaced my P30 trigger spring
At 10,814 rounds my P30 trigger spring gave up the ghost when I was 7 rounds into a range session. While it was nice to see that I could manually reset the trigger, I was a little disappointed in the relatively low round count to failure. Up to this point the gun had never bobbled or failed.
Back home I proceeded to replace this spring for the first time (after reading some of the tips here). The first 15 minutes were quite frustrating, so I took a short break and determined a new course. The new way was successful within a couple minutes.
This is what worked for me -
I already had the slide stop levers both off.
Holding the trigger forward and correctly positioned with my left thumb, I started the trigger axle through the left side of the frame.
Using a tweezers I dropped the spring into position.
Now here is the magic, I had narrowed and thinned a Hilton Yam armorers tool, using that, I slightly wedged the spring forward and down.
I pushed the axle in from the left with my left index finger, removed the tool, and gently tapped the axle home.
I reinstalled the right slide stop, and then using the tip of the armorers tool, I lifted the end of the spring up and slid the left side release into position.
Done.

YVK
03-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks again for advice and special thanks to wrt for taking the time to snap those shots. I have a TRS inbound from HK parts, we'll see how this is going to go.

Spr1: I hear you on disappointment with early part failure. For all the talk about superior HK materials and design, my Glock lasted longer by 3000 live rounds before slide release spring broke. I probably dry-fired HK a bit more, but even then my G19 so far proved more durable than my P30. One possible caveat if the trs was compromised during the work I had done, but I assume Grayguns know how to handle those springs.