PDA

View Full Version : Magazines for Compact Pistols - Flat Bottom vs. Pinky Extension?

revchuck38
10-18-2018, 04:57 AM
I've worked with my Walther P99C enough that I'm comfortable carrying it. I ended up with four full-size magazines w/sleeves and three compact ones, two with the pinky extension and one with the flat base pad. I'll carry it loaded with a compact mag w/pinky extension in the gun and a full-size mag w/sleeve as a spare.

I've found that there's no discernable difference in my shooting with the FS mags and the ones with the pinky extension, but the one with the flat bottom slows me down. At this point, the flat-bottomed one is relegated to LAMR status. I've read that some folks like the flat-bottom mags for pocket carry, but the Walther's too big for that.

Am I missing something, or is the flat-bottomed mag really at a tits-on-a-boar level of usefulness?

peterb
10-18-2018, 06:02 AM
My G42 feels more solid with the pinky rest baseplate magazines than with the flat ones. I suspect splits are a bit faster but I don’t have data yet.
I was surprised at how much more secure it feels with a magazine with a GeePlate compared to the standard flat baseplate. Not as good as the pinky rest but a definite improvement.
I suspect that the more powerful cartridge in the P99l amplifies the difference between the magazine lengths.
The flat-bottom magazine does print a bit less than the pinky rest when carrying IWB. On a small person it might be enough to matter.

tgoldie00
10-18-2018, 06:08 AM
I agree here, and in IWB carry, the extensions do not print any more or less than flat bottoms. The only time I carry flat bottom ultra compact mags are for pocket carry, and even then it’s rare.

As to more powerful rounds...try shooting a full power 10mm round through a Glock 29 with the factory magazines...possible - of course. Preferable - absolutely not! Just the simple addition of Pearce pinky extensions makes a HUGE difference in shot placement and greatly reduces reset between shots.

Keith E.
10-18-2018, 06:13 AM
In my experience and for my hands......

P-32: Flat base works fine

LCP- Don't like the flat base, Pinky plate all the way

G-27: OK with flat base as it's how I carry it, love it with a G-23 mag though

G-29: Don't like the flat base, do like the Pearce pinky plate, do not like the Pearce +1

G-30: 9rd mag OK, 10rd mag better

It definitely pays to experiment.

YMMV,
Keith

camsdaddy
10-18-2018, 06:27 AM
I carry my 26 with the stock base plate. I have used the GAP plates in the past. I dont see any difference in accuracy or times with the plates so I just returned them to stock. All of the Pearce plates always pinch my pinky.

GuanoLoco
10-18-2018, 07:44 AM
I am a big fan of the GAP base plates (unavailable last I checked, but GeePlates are now available).

Tyrok
10-18-2018, 07:48 AM
I shoot my G26 the same no matter which length mag is slapped into it.

So for me, my hands, my body, and my G26 I look at the mags as capacity VS concealability (appendix carry).

10 rounds: Light T Shirt Wear

12 rounds (10 rounder with factory extension): Heavier T shirt wear

15 rounds: Button-up shirts

17 rounds: Depends, some button-ups conceal it fine, sometimes it's only for sweaters

*NOTE: I don't use mag sleeves for any of these mags. I wouldn't be opposed to trying them at some point though.*

Currently my spare mag rides in a pocket so it's capacity is dependent on how long my pockets are, I plan on getting a Dark Star mag carrier for Christmas though so this will evolve.

Hope this is helpful! :D

ST911
10-18-2018, 07:58 AM
I have some pinky-placers/extenders on spare mags for subcompacts. The only reason is to improve draw from the pouch and handling to the gun. While shooting the micros, my pinky is the mostly the root of all evil and I curl it below the mag.

JAH 3rd
10-18-2018, 08:46 AM
I've worked with my Walther P99C enough that I'm comfortable carrying it. I ended up with four full-size magazines w/sleeves and three compact ones, two with the pinky extension and one with the flat base pad. I'll carry it loaded with a compact mag w/pinky extension in the gun and a full-size mag w/sleeve as a spare.

I've found that there's no discernable difference in my shooting with the FS mags and the ones with the pinky extension, but the one with the flat bottom slows me down. At this point, the flat-bottomed one is relegated to LAMR status. I've read that some folks like the flat-bottom mags for pocket carry, but the Walther's too big for that.

Am I missing something, or is the flat-bottomed mag really at a tits-on-a-boar level of usefulness?

You have perfectly done what I would do! Test a product, in this case a magazine floor plate, and decided what works for you. Then go with what works for you. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

BigT
10-18-2018, 10:48 AM
Weirdly when I had my G26 my draw and hits were both better with the flat mag than with the factory +2. Not massively but consistently a little better, despite the +2 feeling so much better.

M2CattleCo
10-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Everyone's different.

Me?

With a G26 or 43 I shoot them the same and maybe even more accurate slow fire with the flat base.

Getting it out of the holster and pressed out is easier/more consistent with a pinky extension.

Irelander
10-18-2018, 11:38 AM
This thread is timely as I am taking receipt of a P2000sk very soon. The standard 10 round mags have pinky extensions on them but flat base plates are available. I'm wondering if concealment will suffer with the extensions. When I had a G26 I certainly liked the Pearce extensions but found that they did print more than flat base plates but I did not carry AIWB back then. I'm curious to see how things shake out with the P2000sk. I'm sure holster selection is key.

Nephrology
10-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Getting it out of the holster and pressed out is easier/more consistent with a pinky extension.

Same; which is why I usually use +0 or OEM +2 extensions on my G26, OEM +0 extensions in my 43.

hufnagel
10-18-2018, 03:27 PM
P2000SK... pinkie plates cramp my hand. I'm better with my pinkie off the grip and under the mag.

revchuck38
10-18-2018, 06:30 PM

Same; which is why I usually use +0 or OEM +2 extensions on my G26, OEM +0 extensions in my 43.

Same here. It's probably something I could train for and overcome, but since the Walther is going to be a secondary carry gun for when I need something smaller due to dress, I'm not sure it'd be a good use of training time.

BillSWPA
10-18-2018, 08:50 PM
In most cases I prefer a flat bottom magazine, as long as I can get two full fingers around the grip.

If I am carrying my Glock 26, it is probably because I need or want something that prints considerably less than a G19,or something that can fit in a pocket that the G19 will not fit. That means I need a flat base plate. The finger grooves on a G26 fit my fingers perfectly, so I have a solid hold even with only 2 fingers.

For my Kel-Tec P-32, i do not need finger extensions despite the 1 1/2 finger grip. However, my wife is more likely than me to carry this gun right now, so I do have +0 finger extensions on its magazines. With a Crimson Trace LaserGuard, the extra grip length can help.

With a Kel-Tec P3AT, the gun will shift in my hand with every shot without a finger extension. I can only get 1 1/2 fingers around the grip, and a Crimson Trace LaserGuard leaves even less frontstrap area. +0 extensions help considerably.

I use +0 rather than +1 with the Kel-Tecs because I find they are quieter, and also do a better job of improving my grip.

GAP
10-18-2018, 09:16 PM
Hmm. I seem to be able to draw and shoot my Glock 26’s with the flat baseplates just fine.. I think people give up on them too soon and just end up on the long, exhausting adventure of contemplating the pros and cons that are mostly in their minds.

When people ask for my advice, I just tell them to practice more and shoot the gun the way it was designed to be shot.

If guns suddenly only came with two-finger grips would everyone quit shooting or would they adapt and move on to bigger things?

:)

Nephrology
10-18-2018, 10:47 PM
Hmm. I seem to be able to draw and shoot my Glock 26’s with the flat baseplates just fine.. I think people give up on them too soon and just end up on the long, exhausting adventure of contemplating the pros and cons that are mostly in their minds.

:)
g26 w/OEM +2 baseplate is the "sweet spot" in size/firepower/concealability on my frame + in my most common wardrobe. I carry a lot more regularly and with less compromise since I figured that out. I own 3 G19s so it's not for want of trying.

olstyn
10-19-2018, 06:00 AM
I found that I had a much easier time with both drawing and maintaining control over the gun while shooting quickly with the pinky extension mags on my P99c, and back when S&W was acting as Walther's importer, you could get either style baseplate for $2.08, so I bought 3, which made all 6 of the mags I have for the gun have pinky extension plates. I eventually gave away the flat ones to somebody on the Walther forum who wanted them, so there's no going back for me. I never found the pinky extension plates to be a significant concealment problem; others' mileage may of course vary.

Bucky
10-19-2018, 06:22 AM
I was surprised at how much more secure it feels with a magazine with a GeePlate compared to the standard flat baseplate. Not as good as the pinky rest but a definite improvement.

On both my G27 and G43, I find the GeePlate to be more secure than a small pinky extension or +1. I find I don’t have to adjust my hand after firing. Also, I feel they might also help in a gun grab situation.

Bucky
10-19-2018, 06:23 AM
g26 w/OEM +2 baseplate is the "sweet spot" in size/firepower/concealability on my frame + in my most common wardrobe. I carry a lot more regularly and with less compromise since I figured that out. I own 3 G19s so it's not for want of trying.

What was the more difficult issue with moving up to a G19, grip length, slide length, or equally both?

Appalachained
10-19-2018, 06:44 AM
I’ve tried pinky extensions on both my G26 and LC9s, but I prefer the flat base.

Nephrology
10-19-2018, 08:27 AM
What was the more difficult issue with moving up to a G19, grip length, slide length, or equally both?

Grip length is just a little less concealable in a T shirt than I like. Slide length isn't really a factor.

Dos Cylindros
10-19-2018, 10:55 AM
For me the flat base plate or pinky extension makes no difference when shooting the gun. Where it makes a huge difference is on the draw. I find it far easier to get a full, confidence inspiring grip when the gun has a pinky extension.

Tod-13
10-19-2018, 11:27 AM
My problem is on reloads. The pinky extension or mag extensions pinch my fingers between the grip frame and the magazine extension.

Duelist
10-19-2018, 11:46 AM
My problem is on reloads. The pinky extension or mag extensions pinch my fingers between the grip frame and the magazine extension.

Yup.

When I carry my G26 (which is most of the time) my in the gun magazine has a flat base plate, and my reload is a G19 magazine with nothing (I.e. a grip adapter or sleeve or whatever) attached to it.

Flat base plate on the in the gun magazine: if I'm carrying a small gun, I'm carrying it because I need a small, concealable gun. The G26 works well for me with the flush fit magazines, so there is no advantage to a pinkie extension and no need to compromise concealment.

Naked G19 reload: more rounds than a flat 10, pinkie 10, or 12 with a plus 2, less sideways bulk than a sleeve, and no pinching when inserted in the gun.

I have a couple of 12s, and if I'm carrying in my shoulder holster, or it's a lone gun on a road trip and it's on the nightstand, the 12 goes in the gun. Unless I'm in a 10 round state.

G42 gets carried with a flat baseplate and an 8 round spare. The flat base plates pinch just as much as the longer ones. Wife's G42 only gets used with a pinkie extension or extended mag. She has much smaller hands than mine, but doesn't feel secure holding a gun with no place for her pinkie.

P32 gets carried with a flat base plate. Just put a +1 base plate on a magazine to try it out. I have a factory 10 round magazine as well, but rarely carry the gun at all, and only do when I need the smallest possible thing I can get. Hence, I never actually carry it with the 10 rounder - just the flat base plate.

RJ
10-19-2018, 12:43 PM
My thoughts are this is highly dependent on each individuals hand size.

I wear a size M glove, but have generally stubby fingers.

For whatever reason shooting my G26.5 with 10 round flat, 10 round with a pinky, +2 OEM extension, G19.5 mag/G17 mag both without sleeves; all shoot about the same for me.

The G26 is my EDC, with the +2 for 12+1.