PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19X and Gen 5 magazines

GJM
10-17-2018, 04:37 PM
Making this a separate thread to make sure everyone knows that the 19X is not compatible with Gen 5 17/34/45 magazines with the new base plate. Despite diligence in replacing base plates with other than Gen 5 base plates, or trying to separate the Gen 5 magazines from the 19X, I know it is just a matter of time before someone ends trying to reload a 19X with a Gen 5 style base plate magazine. I really like the 19X, but I am either going to get them modified so they accept Gen 5 base plates or get rid of them, as it seems like a needless potential failure point with the various Gen 5 magazines I am accumulating. I believe the history of the Gen 5 base plate design is that it was specified by the FBI on the M pistols, to work with the cut out to facilitate stripping a stuck magazine, and apparently Glock continued with it on the commercial Gen 5 pistols. Seems crazy to think there would be a current Glock pistol model that does not work with other currently manufactured similar size and caliber magazines.

Joe Mac
10-17-2018, 05:05 PM
Whenever I pull out a Dremel I hear my ex-wife in my head, saying, "Wait, wait, wait -- what are you doing with that?" :D

That being said, I'm confident that even for a duffer like myself, it'd be a 5 minute job, and difficult to screw up... I'd start with the Dremel and finish with a file/sanding block. I agree that it was a rather inexplicable design choice.

oldtexan
10-17-2018, 05:42 PM
Making this a separate thread to make sure everyone knows that the 19X is not compatible with Gen 5 17/34/45 magazines with the new base plate..........

I'm not a 19X owner, so I'm having a problem figuring out what's causing the incompatibility. Could you explain it or post an image showing the problem?

Grey
10-17-2018, 05:46 PM
The 19X has a little lip on the front of the mag well. Honestly its such a simple fix, unless you want to get another gun, I don't see why you would bother ditching the 19X guns you already have.

nate89
10-17-2018, 05:56 PM
I'm not a 19X owner, so I'm having a problem figuring out what's causing the incompatibility. Could you explain it or post an image showing the problem?

Look at the front of the magwell on a 19x, there is a lip where the standard gen 5 17 has a cutout. The gen 5 magazines are longer in the front of the basepad that fits in the cutout of the 17 frame. The 19x lip prevents the magazine from seating.

nate89
10-17-2018, 05:58 PM

oldtexan
10-17-2018, 06:06 PM
Thanks, guys. That's clear to me now. Glad the gen 4 guns don't have the incompatibility with out of the box Gen 5 mags.

WobblyPossum
10-17-2018, 06:12 PM
I do completely agree with you about how little sense it makes for Glock to have made the 19X incompatible with Gen5 mags. Someone probably will screw this up at some point and I hope it doesn’t get anyone hurt.

I know from your other posts that you really dig the 19X except for this issue. You’ll likely end up selling the 19Xs at a loss unless you bought them on a Blue Label/GSSF discount. Then you’ll still have to spend money to replace them with G45s. I don’t know how many 19Xs you have other than the one you had chopped to G26 height but why not just dremel or file off their mag well lip so they work with Gen5 mags?

Larry Sellers
10-17-2018, 07:34 PM
Can we just replace the floor plates with gen 4 etc floor plates? At 3-4$ a piece it appears to be a simple fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GJM
10-17-2018, 07:50 PM
I am almost certain to modify the four X pistols my wife and I have, as I dig the guns generally and the color especially. The only question is whether I do it myself or have them done. I still bear the scars of when I tried to dehorn an HK P7 twenty years ago.

I bet a high percentage of X owners will be oblivious to the mag compatibility issue until they find out the hard way. This was a design mistake by the mother ship.

JSGlock34
10-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Unless you have a deep interest in the MHS trials (and the 19X isn’t even the exact submission) I don’t see what the 19X offers over the G45.

The different front straps and base plates are the result of different requirements set by the FBI and the Army.

GJM
10-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Unless you have a deep interest in the MHS trials (and the 19X isn’t even the exact submission) I don’t see what the 19X offers over the G45.

You must be color blind. :cool:

Grey
10-17-2018, 08:13 PM

The different front straps and base plates are the result of different requirements set by the FBI and the Army.

It offers nothing, other than the color. Oh and you don't mention the little fact that the 19X was out before the G45 was even known to be coming so a bunch of us bought a 19X because its fucking awesome...

GJM
10-17-2018, 08:16 PM
I do like the way they bead blasted the 19X slide before coating, so it is not slippery like the other Gen 5 pistols. Almost like having full coverage forward serrations.

The X is also a great value when you consider it comes with tritium sights, two extended of the three magazines and the color for not much more than a regular Glock.

ydennekb
10-17-2018, 09:05 PM
Can we just replace the floor plates with gen 4 etc floor plates? At 3-4$ a piece it appears to be a simple fix.

This was my solution. I have two 17’s and a 19X, I just swapped out 14 base plates, life is good.

JSGlock34
10-17-2018, 09:07 PM
It offers nothing, other than the color. Oh and you don't mention the little fact that the 19X was out before the G45 was even known to be coming so a bunch of us bought a 19X because its fucking awesome...

And I seem to recall debating the merits of the FBI 17M/19M vs. the Army MHS features on this forum - to include the magwell and front strap configuration - before the GEN5 was even available commercially.

The X is also a great value when you consider it comes with tritium sights, two extended of the three magazines and the color for not much more than a regular Glock.

You can probably thank those extended magazines for the offending 'lip'.

cornstalker
10-17-2018, 09:21 PM
I do like the way they bead blasted the 19X slide before coating, so it is not slippery like the other Gen 5 pistols. Almost like having full coverage forward serrations.

And maritime cups, and the 8794 mag release.

Does the 45 have those?

GJM
10-17-2018, 09:49 PM
And maritime cups, and the 8794 mag release.

Does the 45 have those?

Mine do not.

MGW
10-17-2018, 09:49 PM
Guilty. I’ve inadvertently put a Gen 5 magazine in my mag pouch while working at the range with the 19x. Tried to make it work twice before I figured out what was going on. I guess the easiest solution is to use only plus two mag bases with the X or the tan standard base plate that came with it for carry. I really like the Glock extended base plates personally.

GJM
10-17-2018, 09:53 PM
Guilty. I’ve inadvertently put a Gen 5 magazine in my mag pouch while working at the range with the 19x. Tried to make it work twice before I figured out what was going on. I guess the easiest solution is to use only plus two mag bases with the X or the tan standard base plate that came with it for carry. I really like the Glock extended base plates personally.

I have actually considered only using tan magazines for carry, since I know they work in everything. Changing your base plates sounds good until you want a spare magazine from someone else. Think we can get everyone on PF to change all their G5 base plates out as a subset of the larger Glock universe . :D

MGW
10-17-2018, 10:04 PM
It’s worth a shot.

JHC
10-18-2018, 01:41 AM

The lip looks like it would offer some protection for the integrity of the magwell and floor plate for when you jump off your tank and don't quite clear it. ;) Only half kidding.

It's a commemorative in essence IMO.

PensFan posted previously there were specific reasons for releasing the MHS gun, and re-couping tooling wasn't it.

JHC
10-18-2018, 01:45 AM
I have actually considered only using tan magazines for carry, since I know they work in everything. Changing your base plates sounds good until you want a spare magazine from someone else. Think we can get everyone on PF to change all their G5 base plates out as a subset of the larger Glock universe . :D

"I'M OUT!!!! THROW ME A MAG!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFNBUs7O-h4

JK. I would be a high risk magazine mixer and would clip the lip.

Ndbbm
10-18-2018, 03:47 AM
I’ve seen pictures of 19Xs where people removed just enough material from the back of that lip for the gen 5 magazines to work. Another option if you want to keep the lip.

Not my gun, a google search image.
Jason

Zman001
10-18-2018, 04:11 AM
I like the lip on the 19x, kinda acts like a semi-magwell. On the flip side, the gen 5 mags lips are something i very much dislike. I guess adopting a glock in 9mm was too much of a good idea for the fbi so they had to do a bunch of weird stuff with the mag.

Any way you want to go about it, its an easy fix.

El Cid
10-18-2018, 01:46 PM

GJM already mentioned the color, but I like the slide matching the frame without baked on paint. I also like that it doesn't have the superfluous front slide serrations. I want a G45 one day, but am willing to hold off for no FS and a color other than black.

I do agree the front lip creates an area for concern. My 19X will either get it shaved completely off, or the treatment that I Ndbbm posted. But my 19X doesn't get carried on duty and in its current role if it gets reloaded it will be with a 24 or 33rd mag.

I like the lip on the 19x, kinda acts like a semi-magwell. On the flip side, the gen 5 mags lips are something i very much dislike. I guess adopting a glock in 9mm was too much of a good idea for the fbi so they had to do a bunch of weird stuff with the mag.

It always makes me smile when people put down a feature on a gun designed to save their life. It gives me a frame of reference and lets me know they lack training and experience. The front cutout and extended floor plates aren't "weird stuff." The feds requested them because it allows the user to strip a stuck mag from the weapon when only one hand is in play. Why would that be important? Because lots of people get shot in the hands during gunfights. Human nature is to focus on the weapon of your opponent/threat. I recommend taking a course that includes one hand manipulation of your chosen weapon. The good instructors do things like duct taping a tennis ball into one of your hands. It's a great way to not only vet your gun, but the rest of your gear too. Can you draw with just your support hand? Can you reload with just one hand? It's cool to watch guys do it on the internet, but until you've done it you can't really appreciate it fully. Every time I see someone whine about the front cut out I just shake my head.

s0nspark
10-18-2018, 02:09 PM
Every time I see someone whine about the front cut out I just shake my head.

I get that it doesn't work for everyone (what does??) but I personally really like the cutout in conjunction with the extended baseplates. I didn't expect to... but I do.

If I get a G45 I'll have someone cut one in as part of other grip work.

Sherman A. House DDS
10-18-2018, 04:22 PM
GJM already mentioned the color, but I like the slide matching the frame without baked on paint. I also like that it doesn't have the superfluous front slide serrations. I want a G45 one day, but am willing to hold off for no FS and a color other than black.

I do agree the front lip creates an area for concern. My 19X will either get it shaved completely off, or the treatment that I Ndbbm posted. But my 19X doesn't get carried on duty and in its current role if it gets reloaded it will be with a 24 or 33rd mag.

It always makes me smile when people put down a feature on a gun designed to save their life. It gives me a frame of reference and lets me know they lack training and experience. The front cutout and extended floor plates aren't "weird stuff." The feds requested them because it allows the user to strip a stuck mag from the weapon when only one hand is in play. Why would that be important? Because lots of people get shot in the hands during gunfights. Human nature is to focus on the weapon of your opponent/threat. I recommend taking a course that includes one hand manipulation of your chosen weapon. The good instructors do things like duct taping a tennis ball into one of your hands. It's a great way to not only vet your gun, but the rest of your gear too. Can you draw with just your support hand? Can you reload with just one hand? It's cool to watch guys do it on the internet, but until you've done it you can't really appreciate it fully. Every time I see someone whine about the front cut out I just shake my head.

My old chum, the late Paul Gomez, had a dedicated course (RPM-Robust Pistol Manipulation) that focuses ONLY on this. Paul’s view was that if you could possess the software to fix malfunctions with either hand, then your life, when it comes to running the gun, just got easier. But as you said, that isn’t glamorous nor fun, even with a dynamic, living encyclopedia teaching it, so it wasn’t a popular course.

Interesting to note, Paul was cutting the front straps of his Glocks and M&P’s and putting long-toed magazine floor plates on them, long before it was cool. Circa 2008.

El Cid
10-18-2018, 04:47 PM
My old chum, the late Paul Gomez, had a dedicated course (RPM-Robust Pistol Manipulation) that focuses ONLY on this. Paul’s view was that if you could possess the software to fix malfunctions with either hand, then your life, when it comes to running the gun, just got easier. But as you said, that isn’t glamorous nor fun, even with a dynamic, living encyclopedia teaching it, so it wasn’t a popular course.

Interesting to note, Paul was cutting the front straps of his Glocks and M&P’s and putting long-toed magazine floor plates on them, long before it was cool. Circa 2008.

Exactly. It's human nature to train the things we are good at, and not train the hard stuff. The first time I did training like that I remember wondering what the hell I signed up for... But I'm much more confident in my abilities now because I won't have to come up with a way to do something while someone is trying to kill me. I already have multiple ways to work handguns and long guns one handed.

I'm actually thinking about having the half-moon cut added to my 19X instead of just removing the tab. But that would definitely require me to send it to a pro. Removing the tab I could easily do at home.

Zman001
10-18-2018, 04:55 PM

You can remove a stuck mag just fine without the front lip, front cutout, etc.

You do realize there is a giant open hole thats the perfect size for your thumb? In a gen 3/4, there is already enough area on the baseplate to pull it out no matter how bloody, sweaty, or screwed up your hand is.

I've done all the things you mentioned with a gen 4, gen 5, and 19x

The gen 5 baseplate is unnecessary, and if you have hands like mine, can interfere with reloads

El Cid
10-18-2018, 05:20 PM
You can remove a stuck mag just fine without the front lip, front cutout, etc.

You do realize there is a giant open hole thats the perfect size for your thumb? In a gen 3/4, there is already enough area on the baseplate to pull it out no matter how bloody, sweaty, or screwed up your hand is.

I've done all the things you mentioned with a gen 4, gen 5, and 19x

The gen 5 baseplate is unnecessary, and if you have hands like mine, can interfere with reloads

I'm well aware of the rear cutout and why it's there. But using that technique requires the shooter to place the weapon in a holster, between their knees, or somewhere else when removing the magazine with one hand/arm disabled. Holding the pistol like you hold it to shoot, then hooking the extended floor plate on a hard object, you can quickly and easily rip out the stuck mag. It's significantly more effective than what you describe doing and the way shooters used to have to do it. It's also why companies like 10-8 and Tango Down sell floor plates that extended on the side - for leverage when ripping out a magazine. Right or wrong, we have lots of shooters who put a plug in the rear of the Glock (for a variety of reasons). The half-moon cut and Gen 5 mags allow the gun to still be operated one handed when using a plug or OEM beavertail which takes up part of that space.

You may find the baseplates from the Gen 5 guns "weird" or unnecessary, but plenty of armed professionals and people who train appreciate them. They are an evolutionary improvement. If they pinch you on a full size gun like a 17 or 19X you must have hands like Andre the Giant. Even then, I have a hard time seeing how they interfere with reloads, but the previous generation base plates don't, unless you are wrapping your pinky finger under the magwell. The good news is Glock sells the magazines with either option, and replacing the plates is easy.

Super77
10-18-2018, 08:56 PM
I find the cutout snags my reloads some of the time, I'd rather not have it here.

JSGlock34
10-18-2018, 09:41 PM

You mean the giant open hole that's filled by a lanyard loop on 19X?

JBP55
10-18-2018, 09:52 PM

The part that is easily removed?

Zman001
10-18-2018, 09:57 PM

That thing you can pop out with a pencil?

JSGlock34
10-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Yep, that one. I'm sure the Army was planning to have everyone pop it out.

Zman001
10-18-2018, 10:05 PM
I'm well aware of the rear cutout and why it's there. But using that technique requires the shooter to place the weapon in a holster, between their knees, or somewhere else when removing the magazine with one hand/arm disabled. Holding the pistol like you hold it to shoot, then hooking the extended floor plate on a hard object, you can quickly and easily rip out the stuck mag. It's significantly more effective than what you describe doing and the way shooters used to have to do it. It's also why companies like 10-8 and Tango Down sell floor plates that extended on the side - for leverage when ripping out a magazine. Right or wrong, we have lots of shooters who put a plug in the rear of the Glock (for a variety of reasons). The half-moon cut and Gen 5 mags allow the gun to still be operated one handed when using a plug or OEM beavertail which takes up part of that space.

You may find the baseplates from the Gen 5 guns "weird" or unnecessary, but plenty of armed professionals and people who train appreciate them. They are an evolutionary improvement. If they pinch you on a full size gun like a 17 or 19X you must have hands like Andre the Giant. Even then, I have a hard time seeing how they interfere with reloads, but the previous generation base plates don't, unless you are wrapping your pinky finger under the magwell. The good news is Glock sells the magazines with either option, and replacing the plates is easy.

I didn't say the problem was with a 17 or 19x.

The issue is with a gen 5 mag in a gen 4 19. Gen 5 mags are very unforgiving of finger placment.

I'll continue not to use gen 5 mags, and being just fine.

Zman001
10-18-2018, 10:10 PM

Not sure what exactly you are getting at, but last i checked, the military didn't pick the 19x

What the military does/wants doesn't have anything to do woth this topic

JSGlock34
10-18-2018, 10:23 PM
Not sure what exactly you are getting at, but last i checked, the military didn't pick the 19x

What the military does/wants doesn't have anything to do woth this topic

What the military wanted is why we have a 19X at all. It is descended from the MHS submission. It has design features that the military desired. Among those is a less than optimal magwell design compared to other Glock offerings that isn't compatible with the latest GEN5 magazine plates, which has been noted since before the gun was commercially available. And it has a frontstrap lip designed to protect the extended magazine floorplate, a feature of little benefit to the civilian gun carrier.

Sure, get rid of the lanyard loop. Dremel off the lip. Keep your GEN4/GEN5 magazines clearly marked and separated. But the 19X is the only Glock model that adds this complication, so unless the military features are desirable, perhaps one of the many other Glock offerings is the better option?

Zman001
10-18-2018, 11:44 PM
What the military wanted is why we have a 19X at all. It is descended from the MHS submission. It has design features that the military desired. Among those is a less than optimal magwell design compared to other Glock offerings that isn't compatible with the latest GEN5 magazine plates, which has been noted since before the gun was commercially available. And it has a frontstrap lip designed to protect the extended magazine floorplate, a feature of little benefit to the civilian gun carrier.

Sure, get rid of the lanyard loop. Dremel off the lip. Keep your GEN4/GEN5 magazines clearly marked and separated. But the 19X is the only Glock model that adds this complication, so unless the military features are desirable, perhaps one of the many other Glock offerings is the better option?

The MHS program was voluntary. Glock didn't have to submit a pistol. And while the military did have guide lines, companies were not lorded over by the military, hell, FN submitted the 5.7 pistol.

This really has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. That glock is not providing the M17/M18 blows out the whole "its what the military wanted" argument out of the water. Because AFAIK, the glock was the only submission with the lip.

Like the lip or not, the idea that the military wanted it is pretty ridiculous.

Drang
10-19-2018, 12:18 AM

Probably not, but every NCO expected Schmuckatello to lose it. Whether it's SPC Scmuckatello, or his cousin the butterbar.

BigT
10-19-2018, 03:19 AM
I don't think this is really that much more of an issue than keeping your G17 and G22 mags separate, or your CZ and Beretta mags separate

Requires a touch more thought than if all you own is one type of gun that takes one type of magazine, but its not insurmountable with a touch of forethought. Shit I manage to keep identical carry and range mags from getting mixed together and I"m pretty dumb.

s0nspark
10-19-2018, 05:34 AM

The issue is with a gen 5 mag in a gen 4 19. Gen 5 mags are very unforgiving of finger placment.

That is the great thing about choices...

All of my carry mags are Gen 5 mags and I use them without issue in my Gen 4 19.

I think it is important not to draw overly broad conclusions from small sample sizes. Glock didn't invent gold or screw the pooch with the Gen 5 cutout/baseplates, in the general sense - they simply responded to what some customers wanted, giving us all more options in the process.

I, for one, am thankful.

SteveB
10-19-2018, 05:43 AM
10 minutes with the Dremel. It could be cleaned up a bit, but it's a Glock:

https://youtu.be/fhtPT2OkCuQ

Zman001
10-19-2018, 05:43 AM
That is the great thing about choices...

All of my carry mags are Gen 5 mags and I use them without issue in my Gen 4 19.

I think it is important not to draw overly broad conclusions from small sample sizes. Glock didn't invent gold or screw the pooch with the Gen 5 cutout/baseplates, in the general sense - they simply responded to what some customers wanted, giving us all more options in the process.

I, for one, am thankful.

True. I was away from glock for awhile, but it seems they are doing a really good job about listening to customers now, which is a great thing.

JSGlock34
10-19-2018, 06:34 AM
What I think is unprecedented is that right now Glock has three different magwell options to choose from - you can practically get the gun 'your way'. Like the flared magwell and half-moon cut out? Just get a GEN5 17 or 19. Want the flared magwell but no cutout? Get a GEN5 MOS 17/19 or the G45. Really dig the 19X? They have that too.

Glock is really offering a lot of choices to the customer right now.

El Cid
10-19-2018, 10:06 AM

If Gen 5 mags pinch you in your Gen 4 guns, that is hardly the fault of an agency requirement, or Glocks decision to build to it. My Gen 5 mags work without issue in my Gen 3/4 Glocks and I have large meat hooks.

This exchange started because you referred to an agency's choice for features on their duty weapons as "a bunch of weird stuff." I was trying to educate you on their very valid reason for those features. I still recommend you take a class with a reputable trainer who includes injured shooter manipulations as part of the course. I'm confident you'll discover the thumb in the back of the magwell is less than optimum.

What I think is unprecedented is that right now Glock has three different magwell options to choose from - you can practically get the gun 'your way'. Like the flared magwell and half-moon cut out? Just get a GEN5 17 or 19. Want the flared magwell but no cutout? Get a GEN5 MOS 17/19 or the G45. Really dig the 19X? They have that too.

Glock is really offering a lot of choices to the customer right now.

It is truly a good time to be a Glock shooter. We are getting 15rd, 17rd, and 33rd mags in OD and FDE now. Factory 19rd coyote (19X) mags sold separately. The RTF2 texture keeps showing up as an option recently. For a duty/competition gun it's my favorite. Just in case Glock reads P-F... I do wish there was a Gen 4/5 frame with RTF2. I also want my beloved G17L in a Gen 5 frame please. And all the Glocks in all the colors please.

JHC
10-19-2018, 11:18 AM
I do wish there was a Gen 4/5 frame with RTF2.

From your mouth to the ears of Gaston!

WobblyPossum
10-19-2018, 11:21 AM
El Cid I completely agree on wanting an RTF2 texture in the Gen5 guns. That’s really my only gripe with them. I wish the texture was more aggressive. It’s better than the Gen3 but I still find I get less traction than I’d prefer when my hands are sweaty. I’m a big fan of the M&P 2.0 texture.

EVP
10-19-2018, 11:53 AM
I don't think this is really that much more of an issue than keeping your G17 and G22 mags separate, or your CZ and Beretta mags separate

Requires a touch more thought than if all you own is one type of gun that takes one type of magazine, but its not insurmountable with a touch of forethought. Shit I manage to keep identical carry and range mags from getting mixed together and I"m pretty dumb.

Agree with all of this and put into words better then I could have.

Like countless people have mentioned already, if the 19x lip is a concern coping saw and some fine sandpaper will take care of it.