PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Arms in Manassas is closing :(

mtnbkr
10-15-2018, 09:37 AM
I know a bunch of us are in NoVA, so it feels appropriate to mention it here...

VA Arms has just announced via Facebook they are closing up shop. No reasons why were mentioned, but when I was in there Friday, things were looking a bit thin. They always seemed busy, so I'm not sure what the issue is exactly, but this is terrible news. They were the only good shop in NoVA, especially nearby to my house. Even my non-gunny wife felt comfortable and welcome there. :(

Chris

MEH
10-15-2018, 09:38 AM
That sound you just heard was my jaw hitting the floor.

TGS
10-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Here's to hoping Elite buys their remaining stock, excellent employees, and fills the gap.

Matt O
10-15-2018, 09:40 AM
I just saw the announcement as well; very unfortunate news indeed. I'll definitely miss having the option of utilizing Robb's excellent armorer services when certain projects exceed my DIY in the basement capacity.

Kyle Reese
10-15-2018, 09:51 AM
That sound you just heard was my jaw hitting the floor.You and me both.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
10-15-2018, 11:17 AM
It sucks, JV_ and I visited this morning, it's already getting picked clean. I'm going to miss that place.

ubervic
10-15-2018, 02:07 PM
That sucks. Best crew over there.

Sherman A. House DDS
10-15-2018, 02:31 PM
I’m not on FB, but is that the place where Tim Orrock works/worked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vaspence
10-15-2018, 02:33 PM
I’m not on FB, but is that the place where Tim Orrock works/worked?

Nope. That was Colonial in Richmond. Sucks to hear about VA Arms, hope everyone lands well.

Wondering Beard
10-15-2018, 03:38 PM
That sucks.

Does anyone know what Robb would be doing next?

Wake27
10-15-2018, 06:43 PM
I haven’t been in the area since ESS opened, but VA Arms was definitely the best shop in NOVA. I’m bummed about it and I can’t even take advantage of the sale to make up for it.

Paul Blackburn
10-15-2018, 06:47 PM
Why are they closing? Business down?

mtnbkr
10-15-2018, 06:54 PM
Why are they closing? Business down?

They haven't said.

Chris

SeriousStudent
10-15-2018, 07:53 PM
Dang, I am really sad to read this. Robb is great people, and I hope all of the employee's land something quickly.

jc000
10-15-2018, 08:13 PM
I've considered myself extremely fortunate to have spent the past couple of years as a Va Arms employee. Everyone there really appreciates the past and continued support of the p-f crew. The situation is really sad (especially in light of the current state of NoVa gun shops) but I'm excited to see where the future takes everyone. It's good to see all these kind words – drop by and say "hi"!

TGS
10-15-2018, 09:48 PM
I've considered myself extremely fortunate to have spent the past couple of years as a Va Arms employee. Everyone there really appreciates the past and continued support of the p-f crew. The situation is really sad (especially in light of the current state of NoVa gun shops) but I'm excited to see where the future takes everyone. It's good to see all these kind words – drop by and say "hi"!

Well, you sound positive as to where you're going to end up, so I'm glad to see that.

I have a question, though......what do you mean by the current state of NoVA gun shops? Is something going on that we should be aware of?

I mean, other than the fact that there isn't an awesome gun shop in NoVA anymore...

jc000
10-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Well, you sound positive as to where you're going to end up, so I'm glad to see that.

I have a question, though......what do you mean by the current state of NoVA gun shops? Is something going on that we should be aware of?

I mean, other than the fact that there isn't an awesome gun shop in NoVA anymore...

Thanks. Va Arms has been a PT thing for me so other than not being able to run my hands all over a lot of cool hardware every week I’ll be fine from a “work” perspective.

But you nailed it on your last sentence. Va Arms was one of my favorite retail spots, period – let alone gun shops. No offense if there are any other NoVa gun shop employees on here but I have yet to come across a shop anywhere close to the level of ours.

mtnbkr
10-16-2018, 04:28 AM
I'm tempted to go and buy "one more gun" from them. I don't need anything, but I kind of want to anyway. I've been mulling over a Ruger LCP for ages, maybe this is the time to pick one up from my friendly neighborhood gun shop while there's still a FNGS...

Chris

jetfire
10-16-2018, 08:00 AM
Holy shit, I used to go there back when I lived in Fairfax, it was awesome.

Poconnor
10-16-2018, 09:25 AM
I have a buddy that lives in NOVA. I visited the shop once. It was a great place and I’m sorry to see it go. I am very curious of why it’s closing

Casual Friday
10-16-2018, 10:22 AM
That sucks. I've never done business with them but they seemed to have a good reputation across many gun boards. The guy I do transfers through closed his shop a while back and is working out of his home. He said with the gun market like it is, maintaining a retail space was no longer feasible for him. He used to sell the M&P Sports by the pallet load. Toward the end he was only selling a couple a week because the people who's budget is in that ballpark are now buying the $3-400 complete "build" kits from Palmetto.

willie
10-16-2018, 10:51 AM
I would recommend them to others needing competent assistance. These shops are irreplaceable. In the back are highly skilled gunsmiths. In the front are most knowledgeable persons working the counter. Sadly, we are being left with box stores run by the misinformed. Today we are "thriving" on all the internet good deals whereby manufacturers and distributors are blowing out product. The so-called good deals may represent death throes of an industry. In my area some ffl persons will receive and transfer a firearm for $20. Ordered out of state, there is no tax. Often the product is shipped free.

mtnbkr
10-16-2018, 10:53 AM
I doubt Cabelas coming into the region helped any. That said, most of what *I* bought at Cabelas wasn't sold at VA Arms.

I can't get over the idea that the other two shops in Manassas are still around. Neither are quality and one is downright sketchy and possibly a front for criminal activity. How they outlasted VA Arms is troubling.

Chris

fatdog
10-16-2018, 11:07 AM
...all the internet good deals whereby manufacturers and distributors are blowing out product. ... ffl persons will receive and transfer a firearm for $20. Ordered out of state, there is no tax. Often the product is shipped free.

Sorry to hear about these guys in NoVA, same phenomenon you describe, the dominance of internet dealers and gunbroker, is causing great hardships for several local gun shops in my area. I don't see how it is much different than what Amazon and other online has done to Sears or ToysRus. The nature of all retail commerce has changed forever.

richiecotite
10-16-2018, 04:13 PM
The first time I went to VA arms I brought a disassembled mossberg 500 in a gym bag I had spent hours trying to put back together (back in the noob days). I gave it to Robb and was expecting him to tell me to come back in a day or 2, and give me a quote. About 8 minutes later he hands me a functioning, assembled shotgun back. I ask him how much it was, and he told me no charge.

I've never been to a better gun store. Maybe some had better selection, some had better prices, but no other store I've ever visited could match the knowledge, experience and customer service EVERYONE in that store provided.

Wake27
10-16-2018, 05:19 PM
I doubt Cabelas coming into the region helped any. That said, most of what *I* bought at Cabelas wasn't sold at VA Arms.

I can't get over the idea that the other two shops in Manassas are still around. Neither are quality and one is downright sketchy and possibly a front for criminal activity. How they outlasted VA Arms is troubling.

Chris

What stores? I remember one almost pawn shop looking one just down the road, I think the sign on it literally says "GUNS" and its run by someone that looks like he's out of Duck Dynasty.

The first time I went to VA arms I brought a disassembled mossberg 500 in a gym bag I had spent hours trying to put back together (back in the noob days). I gave it to Robb and was expecting him to tell me to come back in a day or 2, and give me a quote. About 8 minutes later he hands me a functioning, assembled shotgun back. I ask him how much it was, and he told me no charge.

I've never been to a better gun store. Maybe some had better selection, some had better prices, but no other store I've ever visited could match the knowledge, experience and customer service EVERYONE in that store provided.

Agreed on all points. Robb installed some Apex parts in my M&P for free, so I made sure to buy some more stuff from the shop since I fully expected to pay him.

mtnbkr
10-16-2018, 07:09 PM
What stores? I remember one almost pawn shop looking one just down the road, I think the sign on it literally says "GUNS" and its run by someone that looks like he's out of Duck Dynasty.

If "down the road" is off Rt28 just before you get to the Bull Run bridge, that's the one. Last time I went in there, the reloading components were priced at double the market rate and he was trying to sell me a S&W M17 with a blob of rust for a rear sight for $700 when you could find good used ones for less than $500. Everything in there was so expensive, I got the impression the goal was NOT to sell anything, but to maintain an appearance of a gun store.

Chris

JSGlock34
10-16-2018, 07:28 PM
C&R Firearms (https://candrfirearms.com/contact.php) opened up just down the street from Elite Shooting Sports over the summer. Last time I was there the owner was still getting set up, but it looked promising, and he was offering competitive transfer and consignment services. The website is somewhat spartan.

Any idea where Robb Jensen is going? Whenever a friend has needed AR15 work I have referred him to Robb.

willie
10-16-2018, 09:11 PM
Any gun shop functioning as well as the one mentioned here will necessarily have high overhead. Employing competent and reliable staff costs more for obvious reasons. Too, a good shop stands behind its product and service, and that in itself is not a cheap endeavor. Further, other operating expenses like insurance, utilities, and rent are increasing with inflation, but in this market, profits are not. And then there is burnout from dealing daily with the public and having to listen to so much bull shit. I regret that we lost this stellar source of wisdom, excellent smithing, and fine product.

mtnbkr
10-17-2018, 06:51 AM
C&R Firearms (https://candrfirearms.com/contact.php) opened up just down the street from Elite Shooting Sports over the summer. Last time I was there the owner was still getting set up, but it looked promising, and he was offering competitive transfer and consignment services. The website is somewhat spartan.

That's good to know. I'll check them out. Not quite as convenient as VA Arms (who is literally within easy bicycling distance and right down from a nice little brewpub), but still near enough.

Any gun shop functioning as well as the one mentioned here will necessarily have high overhead. Employing competent and reliable staff costs more for obvious reasons. Too, a good shop stands behind its product and service, and that in itself is not a cheap endeavor. Further, other operating expenses like insurance, utilities, and rent are increasing with inflation, but in this market, profits are not. And then there is burnout from dealing daily with the public and having to listen to so much bull shit. I regret that we lost this stellar source of wisdom, excellent smithing, and fine product.

You've described VA Arms to a "T". I've NEVER seen them get frustrated, short, or annoyed with customers. They stand behind everything they sell. They treat all of their customers like their favorite customer. I would typically go in there once a month or so, not often enough to be super familiar with the staff, but they seemed to recognize and greet me all the same.

Chris

deputyG23
10-17-2018, 09:45 AM
I'm sorry to hear they are closing. I have visited the shop several times in the last five years since my bride has frequent business in the NOVA area. Bought several small items from them. Professional staff. Hope they have places to go...

JSGlock34
11-05-2018, 04:44 PM
Apparently Robb Jensen is now Chief Armorer over at Elite Shooting Sports - that's a terrific combination.

mtnbkr
11-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Apparently Robb Jensen is now Chief Armorer over at Elite Shooting Sports - that's a terrific combination.
That's effing awesome. :cool:

Chris

GardoneVT
11-05-2018, 06:47 PM

On account of the Internet, this dynamic is happening all over the country across multiple industries (see Toys R Us’ recent demise). Were it not for the 1968 GCA there’d likely be no physical gun shops at all. Unless a shop can find a niche where they can effectively compete with Budsgunshop.com while having higher marginal capital costs , the writing is on the wall.

Kyle Reese
11-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Apparently Robb Jensen is now Chief Armorer over at Elite Shooting Sports - that's a terrific combination.Outstanding!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Stephanie B
11-05-2018, 07:12 PM
On account of the Internet, this dynamic is happening all over the country across multiple industries (see Toys R Us’ recent demise). Were it not for the 1968 GCA there’d likely be no physical gun shops at all. Unless a shop can find a niche where they can effectively compete with Budsgunshop.com while having higher marginal capital costs , the writing is on the wall.

I knew a gunshop owner who said that he actually liked Bud‘s. In his opinion, he made almost as much on the transfer as he did when he stocked guns. But with transfers, there was no sales tax to collect, nor did he have any other costs associated with keeping guns in inventory.

OlongJohnson
11-05-2018, 08:42 PM
I'd be surprised if more than 5 percent of the guns that go through my LGS' bound book were actually sold in the shop. They cracked that code, and it's working for them.

Wondering Beard
11-06-2018, 10:24 AM

That's great to hear.

JRB
11-06-2018, 10:41 AM
I'd be surprised if more than 5 percent of the guns that go through my LGS' bound book were actually sold in the shop. They cracked that code, and it's working for them.

A close friend holds an FFL and this is his exact business strategy. The overwhelming majority of the 'in stock' guns are simply consignment from his customers looking to move a gun they don't want anymore. The only guns he buys to stock are easy-selling batches of things like WASR's before a gun show - wherein his strategy is to walk the show, find the guy with the cheapest price on the same thing, and he'll go down another $25-50 and move his entire stock that weekend.

Vinh
11-07-2018, 08:29 PM
Damn, I'm hearing about this way too late. Virginia Arms was my FFL from the beginning and I was loyal to the end. I don't trust any other place with my paperwork. I wonder if the expansion increased overhead too much? Or perhaps Bernie is simply retiring at a good time.

OlongJohnson
11-07-2018, 09:04 PM
I don't trust any other place with my paperwork.

Your paperwork is all going to the BATFE now.

jc000
11-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Today was the last day, moving forward (for the near term) Va Arms will be open by appointment only.

Drang
11-09-2018, 10:17 PM
But with transfers, there was no sales tax to collect...

In case anyone was wondering if there were any others ways that WA is fucked up, guess what they do here?

rcbusmc24
11-11-2018, 06:19 AM
I will miss Bernie and crew, Both times I was stationed in the National Capitol Region I would make the drive past many other gun stores to go to VA Arms. I was more than willing to pay, perhaps a little more, but still very fair prices for the quality inventory that they kept in stock and the outstanding customer service that they provided. I can count on one hand the number of guns that I have bought from a online source and there are four large safes at home filled with guns.... perhaps there are not enough people left who wish to see quality storefronts that provide excellent service to all of their customers stay open vice the temporary allure of saving a few bucks on a online transaction. I know of many other shops that are struggling to keep the lights on as well, but never thought I'd see VA Arms go, It was the example I always held up as a shop doing everything right. I truly hope that them closing is because Bernie wishes to do other things and live his life as being the proprietor of a small business can be a soul sucking/ all personal time consuming life commitment. If it is due to changing demographics/ business models in the Northern Virginia market then I am truly sorry.

Robb always went above and beyond for me...to the extent of bringing his armorer tools on family visits to Jacksonville NC to work on my guns while he was down here... I can not think of another person in the industry who would do that for one of his relatively infrequent customers. I trust AR's that Robb put together for me more than many factory rifles in classes and if needed, with my life. I can't say that for many if any other places....Thanks Robb.

To the Crew, Full time or Part time, I went to training classes and Friends of Pat with some of you, shot USPSA matches with others, interacted with you at the NRA range and Elite Shooting Sports. You were and remain, to me at least, the example of a professional sales staff, both on the sales floor and in your interactions with the gun world at large. I wish you all well in your future endeavors and will truly miss the example you set for the industry.

JSGlock34
12-01-2018, 03:01 PM
I heard a rumor today that VA Arms will be reopening next year under new management.

ETA: No longer a rumor...this is from the VA Arms Facebook page...

Great News; Virginia Arms will be re-opening soon under new management. Kevin Rychlik, the founder and former owner will be opening around the first of the year after purchasing Virginia Arms from Bernie. We will work hard to keep the awesome reputation and quality that Bernie worked hard to build. Stay tuned for more.... in the meantime, please visit Fairfax Armory at 11125 Lee Highway in Fairfax, VA. God Bless and Merry Christmas. Kevin

mtnbkr
12-01-2018, 05:17 PM
I heard a rumor today that VA Arms will be reopening next year under new management.

ETA: No longer a rumor...this is from the VA Arms Facebook page...

Great News; Virginia Arms will be re-opening soon under new management. Kevin Rychlik, the founder and former owner will be opening around the first of the year after purchasing Virginia Arms from Bernie. We will work hard to keep the awesome reputation and quality that Bernie worked hard to build. Stay tuned for more.... in the meantime, please visit Fairfax Armory at 11125 Lee Highway in Fairfax, VA. God Bless and Merry Christmas. Kevin

That's interesting. When did Bernie buy the shop? I've been a customer there since 2001 and don't remember a time without Bernie. Also, was this part of the plan or did Kevin step in suddenly with an interest in keeping the store open?

Chris

JSGlock34
12-01-2018, 05:28 PM
That's interesting. When did Bernie buy the shop? I've been a customer there since 2001 and don't remember a time without Bernie. Also, was this part of the plan or did Kevin step in suddenly with an interest in keeping the store open?

Chris

News to me as well; I was never there pre-Bernie. I understand Kevin Rychlik has been behind some of the other gun stores in NVA.

jc000
12-01-2018, 05:42 PM
Bernie bought Va Arms from Kevin in 1998(?).