PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Border Patrol Stations in NM/West TX

Screwball
10-12-2018, 09:38 PM
Well, it has been well over a year... but today I got an offer of employment from Border Patrol. It also followed with one for a CBP Officer. Extremely happy to get this far, but looking for information from people either in BP or know the area of NM and West TX.

For CBP, I only have one location... Houlton, ME. Keeping it open just to have a fall back, but academy would be April 2019. Plus, I’m tired of NJ winters... so ME likely isn’t going to be much better.

For BP, I was given a list of eight stations... which I have to pick two for Monday.

-Eagle Pass, TX (not South)
-Carrizo Springs, TX
-Marfa, TX
-Presidio, TX
-Alpine, TX
-Sanderson, TX
-Sierra Blanca, TX
-Lordsburg, NM

I know there are some BP and CBP guys on the forum, so hopefully I can pick your brains.

In regards to the area, I have an understanding on it being very different than NJ. I am doing as much research as possible on my end to get an idea of what I’ll be facing in regards to relocating in all of these areas... but if anyone does have any insight of them, definitely would like as much information as possible.

My main question... out of these stations, which ones are in need of people more than the others? I can look up real estate, crime, population, schools, etc... but unsure if there is any other way of finding out agency needs.

The woman from the hiring center asked me which position I was siding with (BP or CBP)... which I replied that I know people are needed more in that area, so leaning towards BP. She commended me on my answer. I originally had a start date in October (like a week and a half), but did have an issue that I couldn’t easily get out of (think they need an answer for Monday, and wouldn’t be able to get it squared away over the weekend; stupid as it sounds... jury duty). Scheduled for end of November, with a May graduation.

Thanks for taking a look.

RevolverRob
10-12-2018, 10:45 PM
I can't comment on which station needs the most...but seriously man West Texas out there is...nothing like New Jersey at all. It's like the exact opposite, it is REMOTE. Absolutely stunning and gorgeous country, but extremely far away from anything. Brewster County Texas, which Alpine is the county seat of, is the single largest county in Texas, it is bigger than Delaware or Connecticut. It has a population density of 1.5 people per square mile, it's only a couple of thousand square miles smaller than New Jersey. Sanderson, Alpine, Marfa, Presidio, and Sierra Blanca are all in the Trans-Pecos region of Texas (some ~31,000 sq miles of area), which is considered a geographic region of Texas. You'll be driving A LOT of miles out there and backup will be hours away.

That said, it's beautiful country and most of the traffic you're going to see will be tourists. Cost of living is high out there, relative to what one might expect, there is little water, and no agriculture. Everything has to be trucked/imported. When you're in Alpine/Marfa/Presidio the closest Wal-Mart is in Ft. Stockton, Texas, about a 90-minute drive from Alpine, which is the closest city to it. In other words, nothing is coming to you fast and/or convenient there. I'm not sure Amazon even guarantees two-day deliver. Cell service? Meh. Internet service? Not really. It's way the fuck out there man.

If you have a family at all, I'd consider Trans-Pecos out. There's very limited access to resources out there.

By contrast, Eagle Pass and Carrizo Springs are father south and are much closer to the Rio Grande Valley. Still a remote area, but not nearly as remote as Trans-Pecos. You'll find an actual city in Eagle Pass (though it is a border town) and with things that will make life far more livable.

SeriousStudent
10-12-2018, 10:50 PM
I grew up there, and would move back in a heartbeat if I could make a living. I miss it terribly.

There is solace in isolation, and in silence you can find peace.

RevolverRob
10-12-2018, 10:54 PM
FYI: Winters aren't "warm" in west Texas either. You're at relatively high elevation up there and though during the days it'll be warm'ish, but at night it will get cold quite cold. More than once I've been doing field work out there (we do it in the winter, because the summer is too hot), and a Nor'Easter has blown in and dumped a couple of inches of snow or more overnight. It fades fast, but it's there. And importantly, infrastructure for dealing with it, isn't there. You won't find salt trucks snow plows out there at all.

Farther south, you'll get almost no snow or even frost. Eagle Pass will be beautiful nearly year round weather wise.

TheNewbie
10-12-2018, 10:56 PM
From reading honor first, Alpine is a great place to live but you will be doing mainly checkpoint duty.

I would love Presidio or Marfa (Marfa just has one checkpoint as far as I know). The honorfirst forum guys who worked at Lordsburg seemed to love it.

Hopefully some of the guys on here can give you actual first hand info.

Congrats on the call dude. That is awesome!

Duelist
10-12-2018, 11:18 PM
Good luck, and congrats.

I've lived in east Texas, driven all the way across the long way a couple of times, and would be happy with any of your choices, but would put Lordsburg at the top of my list, from those options.

As mentioned, none of those locations are huge population centers. I just like the area around Lordsburg, proximity to mountains, accessibility to Arizona, where a lot of my relations live, among other reasons. Plus, there's wild elk in New Mexico.

TGS
10-12-2018, 11:48 PM
For me, personally, I'd choose Lordsburg out of any of those.

Both of my buddies are in Ajo and Casa Grande, so no scoop on the stations themselves. I'm basing my assessment totally on the area and what's around it that I know. I think it's wise to dig as deep as possible to get answers from BPAs themselves, because there could be some quality of living factor (like how many hours you have to drive to get to work, upkeep of the stations, known management) that make or break the stations.

Congrats and thanks for your service, because America is definitely going to "get theirs" out of you at those stations, dude.

TCB
10-13-2018, 12:28 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the Patrol, we certainly need bodies. I have a couple classmates in Lordsburg, Eagle Pass & one that went to Persidio, did a week long training in Marfa (they put us up in Alpine) and have a buddy in Chorizo Springs (not a spelling mistake, that’s how it’s known throughout the Patrol). Hit me up and I can try to answer any questions you have. Also, with us currently having mobility transferres & swaps (don’t know how long that will last) after you are career conditional (2 years) you may have an opportunity to get somewhere a little more to your liking.

fixer
10-13-2018, 11:23 AM
That part of Texas and eastern New Mexico is some seriously desolate areas.

I mean I'm in Seminole and even I am like...Daaaammmmmnnnn there is nothing out there.

I've been out here almost 10 years and have gotten used to an hour drive to get to anything. Where you are going its probably 1.5 times that.

I would toss a coin on all the Texas locations. Lordsburg seemed sketchy the dozen or so times I've driven through and tried not to stop for gas.

Winters are colder than you'd think and summers are very hot and the sun is eye wateringly bright all year round.

A lot of BP guys from Alpine shoot matches in Hobbs. Carlsbad NM has some strong shooting clubs. Hobbs club is great too.

I'm sure you've seen No Country For Old Men. Really good show for depicting that area of East New Mexico and West Texas.

I have to say thanks for signing up for this line of duty. It takes big huge brass fucking balls to be border patrol, game warden, or DPS out here.

On another note...the Permian basin is an oil play out here you might have heard of. You'll also have to get accustomed to sharing the road with fluid haulers, frac strings, and rigs. Its balls-out insanity in the oil fields out here.

LSP552
10-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Congratulations, and thank you for your public service.

I love TX!

Screwball
10-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all the congratulations. I really appreciate it.

I had a crap show with the NJSP process... especially medical issues related to the academy and their wishes (Type I diabetic, they made me go on an insulin pump... and was a s***show; on a better pump now, and all issues have been resolved). I withdrew because I didn’t like how a lot of their Troopers hated their jobs, and knowing where NJ was headed politically, I really just can’t wait to leave.

In regards to weather, I can deal with a snow storm or two. Few inches, no problem. Past few years, we would get 8” to 10”, shovel out, then another... then another. Cold, I can deal with. Heat... I can deal with (only so much clothes you can legally take off). But I think going to ME wouldn’t be high on my list of places to go. Whichever route I go, a four wheel drive Colorado (diesel) is going to be one of my next major purchases.

To be honest, I just want to go to a state where my gun rights are protected. That is one of my main concerns, as I want to be able to utilize my FFL-03 (NJ, it mainly just gives me discounts). When I get settled, I would want to get a SBR and a suppressor or two.

From what has been said, I think Lordsburg will definitely be one of my choices. I can deal with some traveling to get places, but 90 minutes to a Super Walmart might be a little too far. Is it nice being 10 minutes from most stores? Yes, but I actually prefer less congestion. NYC, Philadelphia... I hate that amount of population density. Even where I’m at... there are developments, but I rather have some distance between neighbors.

In regards to family... it is sort of complicated. When I started the process, I was with my ex... who we were going to move out there together. Broke up with me two weeks prior to me proposing. Is what it is. My current girlfriend, I’m sort of unsure it will work out. She doesn’t want to have anything to do with NM/TX... ME is questionable. She does have a six year old daughter, which is a big consideration... if we can make something work.

How I left it, I asked her to look at each of the eight places, and give me a reason why/why not. If she does that, I at least know that she is attempting to put in some effort (and I’d be willing to discuss ME). If not, I’m going south... and either she can look at where I end up or go back to the dating scene. Sounds cold to say, but I won’t make her move, nor am I picking a position (get stuck with) while she is unsure.

HCM
10-13-2018, 03:28 PM
The biggest thing you need to be prepared for is a very different culture from NJ. In Texas both Anglo culture and Tejano culture in border areas are heavily influenced by Mexico. It is what it is and it’s not going to change for you.

Some learn the culture and assimilate and some are miserable and last a few years until they can get another job.

How is your Spanish? You will want to know more than what is required for work if you are going to be living in many of the areas you listed.

The Oil Patch is a factor in these areas in that they may drive up rental and real estate prices in places which used to be fairly reasonable.

Screwball
10-13-2018, 04:23 PM
Hit me up and I can try to answer any questions you have. Also, with us currently having mobility transferres & swaps (don’t know how long that will last) after you are career conditional (2 years) you may have an opportunity to get somewhere a little more to your liking.

Thanks.

I’m really unsure where my career will pan out in the long run. I am also siding with BP over CBP for the history. I feel more a part of an agency pushing over 90 years than one that is only 15 years old. Don’t know yet, but would like to find a spot where I’ll spend the bulk of my career.

I had two cousins that were in BP. One didn’t like it, and became a teacher. The other loved it, worked BORSTAR, and eventually transferred over to DEA. He was out in CA, which while might be a little nicer than where I’m looking... I can’t do CA laws. When he moved to DEA, he went to Texas, Puerto Rico, and came back up to Philadelphia (his mom lives up here).

The biggest thing you need to be prepared for is a very different culture from NJ. In Texas both Anglo culture and Tejano culture in border areas are heavily influenced by Mexico. It is what it is and it’s not going to change for you.

Some learn the culture and assimilate and some are miserable and last a few years until they can get another job.

How is your Spanish? You will want to know more than what is required for work if you are going to be living in many of the areas you listed.

I am ok with different cultures... might need to find a place to get a decent steak every once in a while, but I am sure I can survive.

Spanish, I did it in middle school, high school, and two semesters in college. I didn’t feel confident enough when I took the written test, so did the fake language version... but was more from not using it than not knowing. I know how the verbs work, so was able to transfer that to that “language.”

I used to practice talking with the guys that worked at my ex’s horse farm... but it was difficult due to them barely knowing Spanish themselves. I originally tried to learn Arabic for my language component in college... but Spanish is easier for me than something completely different. Am I fluent to the point where I feel confident I’ll understand everyone? Definitely not, but going to put the effort in and work to get it squared away.

Trooper224
10-13-2018, 04:52 PM
Congrats on the job.

For myself, the desolation of West Texas would be just fine. I'm not a huge social butterfly or a real people person. Now that I'm wrapping up my LE career, if I didn't have my wife and family to consider, someplace with less human interaction and more space would be most welcome. They gave you a list, great. That means they're fooling you into thinking you have any imput. :) Don't stress too much about where you'll go, you'll always have the chance to transfer once you're within the agency and have a better lay of the land. Just getting the job is the main thing and you've done that.

This will sound hard, but if your current woman isn't in it to win it one hundred percent then leave her where she is. I've seen what you've briefly described time after time during my career and it never ends well. If she's not committed to the relationship and a move across country, she and her kid are baggage you don't need. Look at it this way, you're coming from New Jersey, anywhere is up from there.

HCM
10-13-2018, 05:31 PM
Thanks.

I’m really unsure where my career will pan out in the long run. I am also siding with BP over CBP for the history. I feel more a part of an agency pushing over 90 years than one that is only 15 years old. Don’t know yet, but would like to find a spot where I’ll spend the bulk of my career.

I had two cousins that were in BP. One didn’t like it, and became a teacher. The other loved it, worked BORSTAR, and eventually transferred over to DEA. He was out in CA, which while might be a little nicer than where I’m looking... I can’t do CA laws. When he moved to DEA, he went to Texas, Puerto Rico, and came back up to Philadelphia (his mom lives up here).

I am ok with different cultures... might need to find a place to get a decent steak every once in a while, but I am sure I can survive.

Spanish, I did it in middle school, high school, and two semesters in college. I didn’t feel confident enough when I took the written test, so did the fake language version... but was more from not using it than not knowing. I know how the verbs work, so was able to transfer that to that “language.”

I used to practice talking with the guys that worked at my ex’s horse farm... but it was difficult due to them barely knowing Spanish themselves. I originally tried to learn Arabic for my language component in college... but Spanish is easier for me than something completely different. Am I fluent to the point where I feel confident I’ll understand everyone? Definitely not, but going to put the effort in and work to get it squared away.

It’s not just a different culture, it will be the dominant culture. You will be the outsider, at least for the first couple years.

I’m assuming the guys in the horse farms spoke various Indian languages like Mixtec, Nahuatl etc you see that with Central Americans too, they will be native speakers of Indian languages like Quechua. That’s only really an issue at work. If you live somewhere like Eagle Pass you will be using Spanish off duty as well.

Speaking of culture, USBP is component of CBP and that has had an effect on the BP. When you say “CBP” you are referring to Field Operations which is the former INS and Customs Inspectors. They may have a new uniform and patch but it is not really a new component. Just re-branded.

Screwball
10-13-2018, 06:18 PM
They gave you a list, great. That means they're fooling you into thinking you have any imput. :) Don't stress too much about where you'll go, you'll always have the chance to transfer once you're within the agency and have a better lay of the land. Just getting the job is the main thing and you've done that.

This will sound hard, but if your current woman isn't in it to win it one hundred percent then leave her where she is. I've seen what you've briefly described time after time during my career and it never ends well. If she's not committed to the relationship and a move across country, she and her kid are baggage you don't need. Look at it this way, you're coming from New Jersey, anywhere is up from there.

The woman from the hiring center said stations do fill up, but with two... they will make it work for one of them. Won’t know until Monday at the earliest. Whatever happens, I’ll make it work for as long as needed.

And I hear you on the girlfriend. She knew about the move from the start, and sort of supported it. But now, it likely isn’t going to work for her. I don’t have an issue with it... she has a daughter, and that is a big consideration. I just rather know where she stands on it, which is why I wanted her to at least put some effort in and research it. Not going into specifics, but dedication is something that I’ve been questioning with her since it really started to come to a head.

So, as long as my pup is happy... I’m happy. And she tends to be happy with me, so easy. Glad my parents like her too, being they are going to be taking care of her.

It’s not just a different culture, it will be the dominant culture. You will be the outsider, at least for the first couple years.

I’m assuming the guys in the horse farms spoke various Indian languages like Mixtec, Nahuatl etc you see that with Central Americans too, they will be native speakers of Indian languages like Quechua. That’s only really an issue at work. If you live somewhere like Eagle Pass you will be using Spanish off duty as well.

Speaking of culture, USBP is component of CBP and that has had an effect on the BP. When you say “CBP” you are referring to Field Operations which is the former INS and Customs Inspectors. They may have a new uniform and patch but it is not really a new component. Just re-branded.

Roger that. I appreciate the info, as it is definitely not something I can get off the internet.

The farm workers... I’m not too sure. Part thinks they didn’t understand on purpose, thinking they could get out of work with the language barrier. Other part thinks one or two were actually illiterate. I forget where they originally were from... want to say Guatemala.

Clark Jackson
10-13-2018, 09:30 PM

+1 on the dominant culture, and you'll always be an outsider. If you're not from there you're not from there. Doesn't mean that you won't be accepted, but you will always be an outsider. Just be ready for that and don't be shocked/offended by it.

I'd recommend learning some history about the area, too. For West TX/NM find some stuff by Leon C. Metz. Law enforcement's history in that area is interesting, and some things never change.

Keep your head down and be a solid dude for your first two years or so, and then go SOD El Paso or SOG as soon as possible. El Paso is the place to live if you want to be in a "nice border city." EPT has a lot of opportunities there because the Patrol has some of their national training centers there.

Uncle Sam will most definitely get his (and then some) out of you on the SW border. Some real work to be done down there. You'll learn to love the smell of the desert (chaparral bushes) after a rain. Congratulations and Good Luck.

Lester Polfus
10-13-2018, 09:41 PM
I can't advise you on any of the BP stations, but I'm going to presume to offer you advice on the girlfriend.

I quit the active duty military, and one of the reasons I quit law enforcement was to make an ill-conceived marriage work.

Being a cop's spouse is tough. If this isn't a rock-solid relationship, I would encourage you to either hang up the relationship or not go to work for the BP. If you want to try to manage both an uncertain relationship and a new career in law enforcement, I would encourage you to just go slam your balls in a car door. It will hurt less and the pain will be over with sooner.

Screwball
10-13-2018, 10:11 PM
Well, don’t need to go that extreme... just found out that she isn’t going to any of the nine places (ME, either). I knew it, but really for the best.

In regards to the position, I have it narrowed down to three; Lordsburg, Eagle Pass, and Carrizo Springs. Kind of leaning towards dropping Carrizo Springs from the list. Sad to say, but Eagle Pass won out over a Super Walmart (Carrizo Springs has a regular one). [emoji23]

But I still want to look around Lordsburg a little more. If I drop that, the other two are within an hour from each other.

Arbninftry
10-13-2018, 10:24 PM
I lived in El Paso, my now wife was in Sierra Vista Az, Lordsburg is in between. I trained troops from Bliss, one of the places we trained "certain folks" was a place called Playas, NM. I can tell you that the area around Lordsburg, there is nothing. It is one of the most desolate places in North America. You are at least an hour from Wilcox, AZ and an hour from Deming, NM. Lordsburg has a pop. Of maybe 200. Deming and Wilcox a little more.

If you like being alone, it's a great place. If you like something more, avoid Lordsburg.

Arbninftry
10-13-2018, 10:27 PM
I lived in El Paso, my now wife was in Sierra Vista Az, Lordsburg is in between. I trained troops from Bliss, one of the places we trained "certain folks" was a place called Playas, NM. I can tell you that the area around Lordsburg, there is nothing. It is one of the most desolate places in North America. You are at least an hour from Wilcox, AZ and an hour from Deming, NM. Lordsburg has a pop. Of maybe 200. Deming and Wilcox a little more.

If you like being alone, it's a great place. If you like something more, avoid Lordsburg.

But one of the most beautiful places I have ever been is a place Called Sunsites, AZ. A UH-60 at night flying the Dragoon Mtns.

TGS
10-13-2018, 10:28 PM
Well, don’t need to go that extreme... just found out that she isn’t going to any of the nine places (ME, either). I knew it, but really for the best.

In regards to the position, I have it narrowed down to three; Lordsburg, Eagle Pass, and Carrizo Springs. Kind of leaning towards dropping Carrizo Springs from the list. Sad to say, but Eagle Pass won out over a Super Walmart (Carrizo Springs has a regular one). [emoji23]

But I still want to look around Lordsburg a little more. If I drop that, the other two are within an hour from each other.

The terrain in Western NM is much prettier, IMO. In a couple hours to the east of Lordsburg you have Cloudcroft up in the mountains...it's absolutely beautiful green space at a nice cool temperature to give you a break from the desert. A lot of the instructors at FLETC Artesia actually live around Cloudcroft up in the mountains. There are some less significant mountains/green space to the north of Lordsburg as well. Go west a few hours and you're in the red desert of Arizona.

Overall, I think there's a lot more to do within a couple hours drive in each direction that I personally would find interesting compared to your Texas options.

YMMV.

Truth be told, both of those stations hemmorhage agents....

TCB
10-13-2018, 10:54 PM
The guys I know outta Lordsberg Station absolutely love the work there. Off duty...well it’s in the middle of nowhere. Las Cruces is a cool little college town to hang in 1 1/2 hours away and El Paso is only 30 min more Tucson is a couple hours the other way. Sierra Blanca is going to be the Station closest to a real city but I think it’s mainly a Checkpoint Station (some guys the them, I’m am not one of those guys). Chorizo Springs and Eagle Pass are both pretty closeish to San Antonio (great city) but S. TX culture is very different than anywhere else on the southern border (I spent nearly 4 years in the RGV). Pick somewhere you think you’d like and plan on doing 3-5 years there, then try to get somewhere you’d rather be (Tucson Sector is awsome BTW). Don’t sweat the GF, wherever small border town you end up in you’ll be an “exotic”, it will be a target rich environment, have fun, but...you’ll be a prize for a local girl looking for a paycheck (if your FTO doesn’t give you this brief in the 1st week there lame (or already married a local and is stuck)). We are a huge Agency and there are a ton of career paths, we’re also a big jumping off point for other Fed Agencies, 2 close friends went to Secret Service and DEA in the last year or so. Also, Artesia sucks (go bulldogs!)...don’t let the Academy get you down. The good thing is wherever you go from there will seem like a big step up (that was by design). Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Clark Jackson
10-14-2018, 12:19 AM
The guys I know outta Lordsberg Station absolutely love the work there. Off duty...well it’s in the middle of nowhere. Las Cruces is a cool little college town to hang in 1 1/2 hours away and El Paso is only 30 min more Tucson is a couple hours the other way. Sierra Blanca is going to be the Station closest to a real city but I think it’s mainly a Checkpoint Station (some guys the them, I’m am not one of those guys). Chorizo Springs and Eagle Pass are both pretty closeish to San Antonio (great city) but S. TX culture is very different than anywhere else on the southern border (I spent nearly 4 years in the RGV). Pick somewhere you think you’d like and plan on doing 3-5 years there, then try to get somewhere you’d rather be (Tucson Sector is awsome BTW). Don’t sweat the GF, wherever small border town you end up in you’ll be an “exotic”, it will be a target rich environment, have fun, but...you’ll be a prize for a local girl looking for a paycheck (if your FTO doesn’t give you this brief in the 1st week there lame (or already married a local and is stuck)). We are a huge Agency and there are a ton of career paths, we’re also a big jumping off point for other Fed Agencies, 2 close friends went to Secret Service and DEA in the last year or so. Also, Artesia sucks (go bulldogs!)...don’t let the Academy get you down. The good thing is wherever you go from there will seem like a big step up (that was by design). Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

+1 on the RGV being completely different than the rest of Texas (and the rest of the universe).

Your friends who went Secret Service will be back soon, or they've already taken the car door option mentioned earlier. Talk about a job that hemorrhages employees.

HCM
10-14-2018, 12:23 AM
+1 on the RGV being completely different than the rest of Texas (and the rest of the universe).

Your friends who went Secret Service will be back soon, or they've already taken the car door option mentioned earlier. Talk about a job that hemorrhages employees.

Yes, the USSS is well known for their “Apache” style of management.

UNM1136
10-14-2018, 08:42 AM
If you like to hunt and fish, NM is great, if you can stomach the licensing system. Lotta public land. The Gila has world class elk, mule deer, turkeys, and trout streams. I used to do some joint stuff with BP in Las Cruces....couple of those guys ended up in BORTAC, but that was decades ago. Free ammo at the time was a kick in the pants, and most of those guys made use of it and it showed. One of my beat partners a few years back did the BP thing for about three years before becoming a city cop, and he is getting to close to retiring pretty high up in my old agency.

pat

Screwball
10-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Sorry about not replying sooner... made the decision, was worried for the entire day because I didn’t hear back, and then work/life gave me a fun week.

I took the CBP position in Maine. Like you guys mentioned, the south is very different from NJ (Maine is, as well). Something I took for granted is healthcare. If I wasn’t a diabetic, I’d have gone south.

I was talking to a few people about it, and we got on the subject about stores like Super Walmart. Somehow, my endocrinologist (handles my diabetes) came up... which had me look for a new one. I did a 200 mile radius search... and some stations didn’t have one. Lordsburg’s nearest ones were in El Paso... which a doctor visit would be about five hours round trip.

Eagle Pass/Carrizo Springs had a few in San Antonio... which was less of a ride. But the issue was the ratings. The highest rating in San Antonio was three stars (out of five)... but was also out of Houston. While I think we all have had crappy doctors, an endocrinologist is someone I just prefer to have as good of one as possible.

I do want to thank to all of you guys for giving me the background of those places, because if I just did internet searches, I’d be s*** out of luck when I got out there. I go to a few different doctors for preventative care, but just took for granted that specialists would be somewhere nearby.

I looked at Houlton... it isn’t a bad area, but about an hour from Bangor. There were a couple endocrinologists there, with multiple who have five stars. Issues are going to be the cold with the pump... but something I’ll overcome.

The dates were pushed back by two days. I also qualified for a 25% bonus if I agree to stay three years. If I take it and leave beforehand, then have to pay it back. I was not given that when I talked to the women from BP hiring, but just might not have got that far.

Again, thanks to everyone for your input. [emoji106]

HCM
10-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Sorry about not replying sooner... made the decision, was worried for the entire day because I didn’t hear back, and then work/life gave me a fun week.

I took the CBP position in Maine. Like you guys mentioned, the south is very different from NJ (Maine is, as well). Something I took for granted is healthcare. If I wasn’t a diabetic, I’d have gone south.

I was talking to a few people about it, and we got on the subject about stores like Super Walmart. Somehow, my endocrinologist (handles my diabetes) came up... which had me look for a new one. I did a 200 mile radius search... and some stations didn’t have one. Lordsburg’s nearest ones were in El Paso... which a doctor visit would be about five hours round trip.

Eagle Pass/Carrizo Springs had a few in San Antonio... which was less of a ride. But the issue was the ratings. The highest rating in San Antonio was three stars (out of five)... but was also out of Houston. While I think we all have had crappy doctors, an endocrinologist is someone I just prefer to have as good of one as possible.

I do want to thank to all of you guys for giving me the background of those places, because if I just did internet searches, I’d be s*** out of luck when I got out there. I go to a few different doctors for preventative care, but just took for granted that specialists would be somewhere nearby.

I looked at Houlton... it isn’t a bad area, but about an hour from Bangor. There were a couple endocrinologists there, with multiple who have five stars. Issues are going to be the cold with the pump... but something I’ll overcome.

The dates were pushed back by two days. I also qualified for a 25% bonus if I agree to stay three years. If I take it and leave beforehand, then have to pay it back. I was not given that when I talked to the women from BP hiring, but just might not have got that far.

Again, thanks to everyone for your input. [emoji106]

I think you will be happier in ME and CBPO on the Northern Border will be less stressful with medical issues.

That said, San Antonio is a city of over a million people with a very well known and respected medical center area with several hospitals including a University of Texas teaching hospital. It is also home to Ft Sam Houston / Brook Army Medical Center (BAMC) the Army’s primary medical command an Wilford Hall the primary stateside USAF hospital. There is also a high prevalence of Diabetes in SATX for demographic and cultural reasons.

What ever the downsides of San Antonio, I am certain one could find a good endocrinologist (or any other type of Dr.) here.

Drang
10-19-2018, 07:31 PM
Does anyone else only hear "Lordsberg" in Andy Devine's voice?

/digression.

TGS
10-19-2018, 07:34 PM
I think you will be happier in ME and CBPO on the Northern Border

This, totally.

I think after you have some time on you're going to realize what a good decision you just made.

BobM
10-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Does anyone else only hear "Lordsberg" in Andy Devine's voice?

/digression.

Every time!

rv245
10-19-2018, 09:56 PM
This, totally.

I think after you have some time on you're going to realize what a good decision you just made.

^^^^^ This. It was a no brainer for me with the choices you had. I would of picked ME, mainly cause I'm a sledhead. Anyways wish you the best and good luck.

TCB
10-19-2018, 11:15 PM
Have fun stamping passports blue belly! Just kidding, we love our sisters in blue! We totally don’t call you guys port monkeys or anything...(really we’re just jealous you guys make more than we do, get to live in nicer places and don’t have to shave)