PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Custom Shop

OlongJohnson
10-12-2018, 05:21 PM
It's not clear that they understand the meaning of "custom" the same way I do.

https://ruger.com/micros/customShop/index.html

I'd settle for not having to send most of my Rugers back to the factory to get fixed.

But this could still be cool.

RevolverRob
10-12-2018, 05:53 PM
It's not clear that they understand the meaning of "custom" the same way I do.

Yea...they are just opening a Ruger 'Performance Center' -
The Custom Shop will feature exclusive collectible, competition, hunting and personal defense firearms for the most discriminating of shooters.

Shame, because a custom shop where you could order factory tuned revolvers would be the hotness.

Totem Polar
10-12-2018, 05:55 PM
I suppose we will see. It’s not inconceivable that they might produce a gun that I’d like and buy.

SeriousStudent
10-12-2018, 06:01 PM
Yea...they are just opening a Ruger 'Performance Center' -

Shame, because a custom shop where you could order factory tuned revolvers would be the hotness.

Indeed, a nicely tuned 2.5" LCR would be nice. Or a ported version of the Talo SP101. Perhaps a neat GP-100 with a 3" tube and some solid fixed sights calibrated for a specific load like the Gold Dot?

I can think of many ways for them to separate me from my money.

LockedBreech
10-12-2018, 07:20 PM
I prefer every current production Ruger revolver to the current production Smith equivalent. If they expand to revolvers I'm excited about this.

1911s and 10/22s, no thanks. Many shops do a better 1911 and a 10/22 can be made pretty awesome aftermarket already.

spinmove_
10-12-2018, 07:46 PM
A 3” GP100 with adjustable sights would be kinda snazzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poconnor
10-12-2018, 08:56 PM
It would be nice just to order models with barrel lengths or calibers not currently offered. I would like a .44 mag SS Blackhawk with a bisley frame and a 3 inch GP100 w adj sights

PNWTO
10-12-2018, 09:14 PM
I can think of many ways for them to separate me from my money.

A ported and tuned Talo SP101 or a decently tuned GP-44. If Ruger offered either shipped and buried in a sack of dog shit I'd still pay above MAP.

TheNewbie
10-12-2018, 10:44 PM
If Kimber and Colt can make a revolver the size of the SP-101 hold six rounds, then so can Ruger. This is what I would be interested in.

Hambo
10-13-2018, 06:45 AM
If Kimber and Colt can make a revolver the size of the SP-101 hold six rounds, then so can Ruger. This is what I would be interested in.

They've stuffed seven rounds of .327 in a Single Six frame, so there's hope.

willie
10-14-2018, 03:36 PM
A most significant component of revolver accuracy is the dimensional relationship between cylinder throats and forcing cone. Another is having a bore free of constrictions. A third is having chambers that have have the same inside diameter dimensions. Can or will the custom shop address these problems if such are presented? Ruger engineers certainly understand why excessive variation in these areas is undesirable. The casual buyer, gun shop employees, and many gunsmiths do not. Hopefully Ruger's new endeavor will meet our expectations and do more address cosmetic concerns.

xray 99
10-16-2018, 03:00 AM
A 3” GP100 with adjustable sights would be kinda snazzy.

They have produced the Model 1708 from time to time-a 3” GP in .357 with adjustable sights. I think the 1751 is chambered in .38 Special.

Bucky
10-16-2018, 05:37 AM
With Ruger now dabbling in 1911s, I’d like to see them make a double stack, not 2011, 1911 Type gun.

JFK
10-16-2018, 06:17 AM
I think it is nothing but good that they are at least making a try in the custom / competition market.

Over the past few years I have seen Ruger be very good about sponsoring matches and working on their quality. They are one of the few that make a PCC (the PC9) that is accessible, and honestly a terrific firearm that runs well and has a lot of options for entry PCC guys.

In addition this is a nice looking 1911. I would have no issue shooting this in IDPA ESP.

spinmove_
10-16-2018, 07:15 AM
They have produced the Model 1708 from time to time-a 3” GP in .357 with adjustable sights. I think the 1751 is chambered in .38 Special.

Why is that not a regular thing? It’s just like S&W not making 3” K-frames. This is why people aren’t buying more damn revolvers. More 3” K-frames and 1708s, less frame locks. How is this hard?

jetfire
10-16-2018, 08:03 AM
Why is that not a regular thing? It’s just like S&W not making 3” K-frames. This is why people aren’t buying more damn revolvers. More 3” K-frames and 1708s, less frame locks. How is this hard?

Because the actual consumer demand for 3 inch k-frames is almost non-existent; it feels like it’s a lot bigger to us because we’re enthusiasts, but enthusiasts rarely drive the bulk of market purchases except for niche companies.

spinmove_
10-16-2018, 08:22 AM
Because the actual consumer demand for 3 inch k-frames is almost non-existent; it feels like it’s a lot bigger to us because we’re enthusiasts, but enthusiasts rarely drive the bulk of market purchases except for niche companies.

So I guess the better question is: why is everyone else so bent on 4” or 2.5” revolvers?

Bucky
10-16-2018, 08:45 AM

More importantly, from a functionality standpoint, why don't all revolvers, with a barrel length over 3", have a full length ejection rod, like the SW Model 10 and 13??