PDA

View Full Version : Intruder killed in Springville, UT

EMC
03-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Another home invasion shooting story from last night:

Summary:
The intruder went through an unlocked back door, helped himself to the homeowners clothes, ate a ham tortilla wrap, then subsequently went upstairs awoke the couple and was shot once in the chest when he told them to get their wallets for a trip to the ATM. Homeowner retrieved his handgun from the closet under the premise of getting his wallet and keys but grabbed his handgun and killed the intruder instead.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53623285-78/caron-intruder-police-gun.html.csp

Zhurdan
03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
"Home invasions - Coming to a home near you soon!"

Wow... that's pretty close to where I live in relation to other home invasion stories. Usually they're 12-14 hours away, not 1.2-1.4 hours away.

I have a bad feeling this is only going to get worse before it gets better. Talk about being caught with your pants down though. Had to retrieve his gun from the closet? Makes me appreciate my yappy Jack Russell Terriers just that much more.

EMC
03-01-2012, 11:52 AM
"Home invasions - Coming to a home near you soon!"

Wow... that's pretty close to where I live in relation to other home invasion stories. Usually they're 12-14 hours away, not 1.2-1.4 hours away.

I have a bad feeling this is only going to get worse before it gets better. Talk about being caught with your pants down though. Had to retrieve his gun from the closet? Makes me appreciate my yappy Jack Russell Terriers just that much more.

Yes the tactical lessons are first, check that your doors are locked before going to bed every night! Second, location of the firearm is important (It might have been bad in this instance for the handgun to be on an open nightstand in view of the perp, but in a drawer or somewhere out of obvious view but within easy reach would be ideal). Third, having some form of early intrusion detection (biological or technological) is a good idea.

TCinVA
03-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Kind of stinks that the homeowner had to provide this dirtbag's last meal.

Is there any information on the dirtbag, as in was he a random dirtbag who wandered by or a dirtbag who had deliberately targeted the couple for some reason?

EDIT - reading is fundamental!

Footprints in the snow show the intruder found a back door unlocked at a duplex at 800 South 475 East after trying to get into about 20 other houses in the neighborhood

EMC
03-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Kind of stinks that the homeowner had to provide this dirtbag's last meal.

Is there any information on the dirtbag, as in was he a random dirtbag who wandered by or a dirtbag who had deliberately targeted the couple for some reason?

It was random, the police tracked his footprints in the snow from home to home as he was casing places earlier. This one happened to be the first residence that had an unlocked door (Major takeaway lesson, this might have been avoided with the flip of the door lock). Police believe the guy was the same burgler who had stolen a cell phone and handgun from another residence that was reported earlier. In the latest robbery attempt the perp claimed he had a gun when he threatened the homeowner, but was shot unarmed (not that that matters in this case).

G60
03-01-2012, 03:54 PM
What on earth is a ham tortilla?

EMC
03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
What on earth is a ham tortilla?

Tortilla wrap with ham in it. Either way it's not Halal or Kosher. :D

JHC
03-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Yes the tactical lessons are first, check that your doors are locked before going to bed every night! Second, location of the firearm is important (It might have been bad in this instance for the handgun to be on an open nightstand in view of the perp, but in a drawer or somewhere out of obvious view but within easy reach would be ideal). Third, having some form of early intrusion detection (biological or technological) is a good idea.

Ayoob long ago suggested like in a shoe just under the bed or along side where your sleep. Not obvious up in the open and in the worst case one could rolloff to that side and basically land on it. Or has he also related for worse worst case - sleep with an ankle holster - go fetal under the covers and come up ready to go. ;) That might finally give me a useful purpose to the expensive Galco ankle rig I bought for a G26. There is no way on earth I can conceal that in any pair of pants I own and that includes some pretty loose cut options. I need to sell that thing one of these days. (the holster that is. G26 is great)

EMC
03-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Ayoob long ago suggested like in a shoe just under the bed or along side where your sleep. Not obvious up in the open and in the worst case one could rolloff to that side and basically land on it. Or has he also related for worse worst case - sleep with an ankle holster - go fetal under the covers and come up ready to go. ;) That might finally give me a useful purpose to the expensive Galco ankle rig I bought for a G26. There is no way on earth I can conceal that in any pair of pants I own and that includes some pretty loose cut options. I need to sell that thing one of these days. (the holster that is. G26 is great)

Time to design a decorative pillow holster. Would make a good use of all those superfluous pillows I have to throw off the bed each night before we can fit on it.

Shellback
03-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Layer your security. An alarm system and a good dog, along with locking the door, would've helped prevent this from happening. The homeowners got very lucky.

I read of 3 to 5 similar incidents happening every day. If people are interested I'll start a thread and people can post relevant articles in it. Use it for lessons learned and such.

EMC
03-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Layer your security. An alarm system and a good dog, along with locking the door, would've helped prevent this from happening. The homeowners got very lucky.

I read of 3 to 5 similar incidents happening every day. If people are interested I'll start a thread and people can post relevant articles in it. Use it for lessons learned and such.

Absolutely. It would be interesting to see the frequency of these events and derive the lessons.

Kyle Reese
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Absolutely. It would be interesting to see the frequency of these events and derive the lessons.

Concur. Great idea.

JHC
03-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Time to design a decorative pillow holster. Would make a good use of all those superfluous pillows I have to throw off the bed each night before we can fit on it.

You'll sell a lot of them.

Shellback
03-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Concur. Great idea.

Started here (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3346-Shooting-incidents-in-the-news).

Chuck Haggard
03-01-2012, 08:21 PM
People need to start locking their frakking doors.

Seriously.

Homeowner would have been SOL if this had occurred with the robbery/burglary crew we had working around my area locally. Up to nine suspects on some of the hits we had, some of them armed with long guns.

NETim
03-01-2012, 08:31 PM
http://journalstar.com/news/national/armed-colo-doc-helps-others-flee-from-gunman/article_392eccfd-2251-5eb5-9fd7-cb07cd71413d.html?mode=story#ixzz1no8MM7nY

A Colorado doctor with a concealed-weapon permit said he grabbed his gun and guarded an exit at a medical building as dozens of people fled from a gunman who had taken two hostages.

Authorities in Colorado Springs said the hostages were released before police shot and fatally wounded the gunman Tuesday. No one else was hurt.

Police identified the gunman as Dominic Oliver, 28, of Colorado Springs.

A doctor at the practice, Jeff Ferguson, told KKTV he retrieved his gun from its storage place and protected an exit as an estimated 50 people fled down a stairway.

"If this guy opens this door, I'm going to have to shoot him," Ferguson said. "I was absolutely prepared to shoot him, yes."

Police said Oliver showed up with a gun at the Urological Associates office at about noon. He was angry at a medical office employee and took her and another person hostage, The Gazette reported.

Read more: http://journalstar.com/news/national/armed-colo-doc-helps-others-flee-from-gunman/article_392eccfd-2251-5eb5-9fd7-cb07cd71413d.html?mode=story#ixzz1nv1vlfhZ

NickA
03-01-2012, 08:57 PM

Pffft... Just make like Chuck Norris and sleep with a pillow under your gun ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

EMC
03-01-2012, 09:04 PM
http://journalstar.com/news/national/armed-colo-doc-helps-others-flee-from-gunman/article_392eccfd-2251-5eb5-9fd7-cb07cd71413d.html?mode=story#ixzz1no8MM7nY

A Colorado doctor with a concealed-weapon permit said he grabbed his gun and guarded an exit at a medical building as dozens of people fled from a gunman who had taken two hostages.

Authorities in Colorado Springs said the hostages were released before police shot and fatally wounded the gunman Tuesday. No one else was hurt.

Police identified the gunman as Dominic Oliver, 28, of Colorado Springs.

A doctor at the practice, Jeff Ferguson, told KKTV he retrieved his gun from its storage place and protected an exit as an estimated 50 people fled down a stairway.

"If this guy opens this door, I'm going to have to shoot him," Ferguson said. "I was absolutely prepared to shoot him, yes."

Police said Oliver showed up with a gun at the Urological Associates office at about noon. He was angry at a medical office employee and took her and another person hostage, The Gazette reported.

Read more: http://journalstar.com/news/national/armed-colo-doc-helps-others-flee-from-gunman/article_392eccfd-2251-5eb5-9fd7-cb07cd71413d.html?mode=story#ixzz1nv1vlfhZ

Urology clinic eh? They must have done something to make the guy mad.

Tamara
03-02-2012, 05:55 AM

The big pile of stuffed animals in the corner of the bed at my old place wasn't just there because it was cute. The biggest teddy bear was plenty big enough to sit on top of a Beretta 96D.

Nephrology
03-02-2012, 08:35 AM
I don't have anywhere discreet to hide a pistol but my bedroom door is always locked.

Zhurdan
03-02-2012, 09:37 AM
I don't have anywhere discreet to hide a pistol but my bedroom door is always locked.
I tuck my gun in between the mattress with enough sticking out to be easy to find but not enough to be noticeable.

BTW, unless you've hardened that bedroom door, a one legged bean pole could kick open most commercial bedroom doors. Hell, a stiff shoulder to an interior bedroom door will twist that doorknob right through those thin doors. IF that's the thing that is going to wake you up, it's probably too late. Another reason layers of protection is important.

Nephrology
03-02-2012, 02:47 PM
I tuck my gun in between the mattress with enough sticking out to be easy to find but not enough to be noticeable.

BTW, unless you've hardened that bedroom door, a one legged bean pole could kick open most commercial bedroom doors. Hell, a stiff shoulder to an interior bedroom door will twist that doorknob right through those thin doors. IF that's the thing that is going to wake you up, it's probably too late. Another reason layers of protection is important.

Point taken.

JMS
03-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Hell, yeah; the ubiquitous 6-panel, hollow-core, woodgrained masonite sheathed split-jamb interior door found in every middle-class home (single-family dwelling or townhouse) that I've seen is about as secure as a wet fart. Interior-grade locking doorknobs, structurally, are also a joke.

You can do a lot to harden an interior door for relatively low cost by swapping out to a solid-core slab (can be gotten with the same sort of sheathing as the hollow-core ones; sizes and hinge/knob placement are standardized), switching the screws in the hinges and strikes to longer ones that reach the framing, and going to a key-entry exterior-grade knob. Cheaper than a type-specific security door...by a LONG shot....and looks like the hollow-core POSs.

In my case, the hallway is narrow enough to preclude any kicks worthy of the name and limits most tool-usage, so I'm gonna hear all sorts of noise, and that's presuming that my own Jack remains uncharacteristically silent.

Failure2Stop
03-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Hell, yeah; the ubiquitous 6-panel, hollow-core, woodgrained masonite sheathed split-jamb interior door found in every middle-class home (single-family dwelling or townhouse) that I've seen is about as secure as a wet fart. Interior-grade locking doorknobs, structurally, are also a joke.

True, but it's noisy enough to wake me up usually.

EMC
03-05-2012, 12:02 PM
This thread makes me want to get a Dog. The only problem is what if they bark at everything? Seems like you could get into the "cry wolf" type of situation and just ignore it most of the time. Hopefully they would act differently enough to indicate a real threat.

Failure2Stop
03-05-2012, 12:08 PM
This thread makes me want to get a Dog. The only problem is what if they bark at everything? Seems like you could get into the "cry wolf" type of situation and just ignore it most of the time. Hopefully they would act differently enough to indicate a real threat.
Easy answer?
TRAIN it.

Shellback
03-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Easy answer?
TRAIN it.

Weird. Almost like owning and carrying a gun...

JeffJ
03-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Easy answer?
TRAIN it.

This is why I have an alarm system set to go off on instant at night. Only problem is I'm screwed if the alarm disabling ninja's come to get me, but if they show up I'm proabalby screwed anyway.

EMC
03-05-2012, 12:56 PM
It would be interesting to conduct a cost analysis between installing/owning a good alarm system, and putting in the training time on a suitable canine. I realize that Dog ownership has other inherent qualities that would add more value than a tech solution.

JeffJ
03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
It would be interesting to conduct a cost analysis between installing/owning a good alarm system, and putting in the training time on a suitable canine. I realize that Dog ownership has other inherent qualities that would add more value than a tech solution.

Alarm system is going to be much, much less. Dog ownership has qualiteis that both add value and detract value. For instance, I travel a good deal and live in a townhouse with very little fenced in area and no fenced in grass. My wife is also allergic to most breeds. I love dogs and would love to have the space and time for a German Shepphard and be able to send him to school etc. etc. But reality for me is a basic alarm system with all of my potential entry points contacted and monitered 24/7. Initial cost about $300 and monitoring is about $35/ month.

Really, even if we did have a well trained dog, I would still have the alarm. Major point for the alarm is that if somebody breaks in during the day when you aren't there that it goes off and they call you. I had a neighbor that went several days while out of town with his back door (not visible unless in his fenced-in yard) open - not only was his stuff stolen but some stray cats got into his house as well.

Shellback
03-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Alarm system is going to be much, much less. Dog ownership has qualiteis that both add value and detract value. For instance, I travel a good deal and live in a townhouse with very little fenced in area and no fenced in grass. My wife is also allergic to most breeds. I love dogs and would love to have the space and time for a German Shepphard and be able to send him to school etc. etc. But reality for me is a basic alarm system with all of my potential entry points contacted and monitered 24/7. Initial cost about $300 and monitoring is about $35/ month.

My experience differs from yours. An alarm system may deter some criminals with signs posted but a barking dog tends to scare the shit out of alot of people before entry. I know it's probably a rare exception but we got a fully executive protection trained Belgian Malinois about 2 months ago for $1k, thanks to LL. I also have an alarm system and have had it for about 7 years, the back up battery's die and the frickin' thing short circuited the other day needing to be replaced, more money. Occasionally it's a real pain and the alarm companies try to bend you over for tons of money at any given opportunity if you need any type of maintenance.

The alarm's nice, the Mal's awesome, and I consider both to be essential to my family's safety and security. What's cheaper? I haven't really weighed it out but they both require monthly upkeep in terms of money spent. However, your alarm system won't warn you of potential intruders before they attempt entry, you can't take it with you as your bodyguard, it won't be your constant companion, it doesn't love you unconditionally, it won't give it's life for you and it won't be your kid's buddy either.

You can have larger breeds in smaller houses. However, you have to be committed to walking them and exercising them to keep them happy. You can also do a lot of the training yourself, check out www.leerburg.com.

Yesterday I was attending a shooting class and my wife sent me this photo of our Mal. When I'm home he's by my side constantly as I'm his Alpha. When I'm gone he's on almost constrant patrol throughout the house or posted up on guard duty. I like the security of an alarm system but I have full confidence in the ability of my dog to protect my family while I'm gone and if I had to make the choice I'd take the dog every time.
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7636/bamwatch.jpg