PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about the HK P2000?

Red Leader
03-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Okay guys,

So I'm thinking about standardizing to 9mm over 45 for carry for a lot of reasons, perhaps the biggest being the cost of ammo so I can start getting to the range more and actually be proficient. Before this forum I hadn't really looked into HKs at all, but now I've been learning more about them.

So far I've been able to get my hands on a USP 9c, a USP 45c, and a P30. The P30 seemed a little tall in the grip for me, and the USPs seems a little thick. The more I've read about the P2000 the more I think it might be the perfect balance between these two types of pistols.

I'm going to try and go down to a shop that I know carrys HKs and hopefully they'll have a P2000 for me to try out in the hand. In the meantime, can you guys school me on this pistol? How long have they been out? Does it have a good history? Anything particular to look (or look out) for? Seeing the different variants, I'm probably most interested in the V2 LEM since I am left handed and don't like the one-sided manual safety.

Quick question about these pistols - I noticed that the slide release is ambi, which is cool, but it looks like it is right where I put my thumbs when firing. Virtually every pistol I've ever shot I've never had to worry about that because the slide release has been on the 'wrong' side:D. Will I have to worry about riding the slide release (its pretty huge if you ask me) and also is it common for them to be loose/rattle? One of the USPs (used) that I held at the shop the other day had one that was pretty loose.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

jslaker
03-10-2011, 12:20 AM
All the current HK polymer pistols are pretty closely related mechanically. The P2000 is a slight variant of the basic USP action, and the P30 is based directly on the P2000. I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe any particular model should be any less reliable than another.

The slide releases are huge, but that's actually one of my favorite things about the HK guns; the release is much easier to hit than the flat stamped releases on things like Glocks. If your support thumb gets too far forward, yes, you can accidentally ride it and have issues with failure to lock back. It's not a big deal to correct your grip to mitigate this, though.

Some of the rattling you're hearing may just be the buffer ring sliding around on the guide rod. I've seen several people mistake that for something being wrong. If you mean the slide release rattling, that isn't normal on USPs, no. In fact, I'd be somewhat concerned about that since the slide stop locks against the guide rod, which has the cam surfaces for barrel timing.

F-Trooper05
03-10-2011, 12:23 AM
The P2K is virtually identical to the P30 mechanically. Extremely reliable and built like a tank. CBP has been using them for several years (.40SW) and other than a handful of issues that their Maritime units were having (something about rust in the firing pin channel I believe?), they seem to like them just fine. If you don't like the ambi slide catch, you can take it off.

John Ralston
03-10-2011, 12:34 AM
The only thing I would say is that the Ergonomics of the P30 are miles ahead of the club like P2000 (club like in comparison anyway). Make sure you handle one first.

The P30 is only slightly taller than a G19 - I can measure a couple dummy guns if that would help.

gtmtnbiker98
03-10-2011, 07:28 AM
I noticed that you mentioned a safety on the P2000, the P2000 is the only 'P' Series pistol in the current HK lineup that DOES NOT have a Safety as an option. The ambi slide release on the P2000 is shorter than that found on the P30 and if you are concerned about thumb placement and slide release interference, then definitely look at the P2000. However, with that said, it's hard to gauge thumb interference with a gun you haven't fired.

Many have reported issues with their thumbs interfering with the slide release and in the early months of my adoption, I was one of them. I simply changed out the back strap and side panels to Large and my failure to slide lock "issue" was remedied. The P2000 offers one major benefit over the P30 in that the grip texture will not rub you raw when carrying IWB without an undershirt. It is also slightly smaller but not enough to be a concern for concealed carry.

Does the right side slide release rattle, yes. Do they rattle on all the 'P' Series and HK45 Series pistols, yes - given adequate use. For those who say that their's doesn't rattle, tell them to shoot it more and in time, it will rattle. In a properly fit holster, the pistol doesn't rattle, it only rattles when you shake the pistol. For me, the rattle isn't a big deal.

As for the release date of the P2000, it was late 2001 (if memory serves me) and has been adopted by CBP as their issued weapon, V2 (LEM) chambered in .40 S&W. As for issues, no known issues have cropped up that I'm aware of. Some have reported "rust issues" in maritime settings as previously noted, but a lot of that can be attributed to improper maintenance. Hell, what won't rust give a constant salt bath?

The USPc and P2000 compare directly in size and also share magazines across the various calibers (9, .40, .357 Sig). The USP Compact is not an aging sleeper like many like to state. It offers a robust platform from which to dispense large number of lead objects. Try them all and shoot if possible then decide. When concealing IWB, the differences between the USP Compact, P2000, and P30 are minimal. Also, don't forget to check out the P2000SK.

Forgot to add, if you are trying to get away from .45 ACP, then by all means, DO NOT HANDLE AN HK45c! The HK45c is the "cat's ass" when it comes to polymer .45s and has all the favorable attributes of the P2000 although chambered in .45 ACP. You've been warned.

jslaker
03-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Does the right side slide release rattle, yes. Do they rattle on all the 'P' Series and HK45 Series pistols, yes - given adequate use. For those who say that their's doesn't rattle, tell them to shoot it more and in time, it will rattle. In a properly fit holster, the pistol doesn't rattle, it only rattles when you shake the pistol. For me, the rattle isn't a big deal.

Just to make clear that what I said above and what you said here really aren't conflicting for the OP: It wouldn't surprise me if the ambi releases rattle on P2000/P30/HK45 guns. The ambi releases are multipart, so rattling's going to happen. On the USP, which doesn't have an ambi release, the release is a single, solid machined part that's under pressure from the guide rod. There's really no reason it should be rattling around unless the slide stop spring is worn out or something is out of spec.

ToddG
03-10-2011, 10:24 AM
How long have they been out?

For a decade.

Does it have a good history?

Mechanically, yes. The P2000 excelled at the 2004 DHS/ICE pistol trials and was awarded the largest contract from those trials. Tens of thousand have been in service with CBP ever since, and a number of ICE agents (who are normally issued SIG P229Rs) opt to carry the P2000 instead, as well.

From a service standpoint, the P2000 hit the U.S. market at one of the company's lowest points in terms of customer service. That has improved dramatically over the past couple of years with the appointment of Wayne Weber as president of HK-USA, but there is still a huge difference between needed a spare part for a Glock and needing one for an HK.

Also, because the HK P2000 is not nearly as popular as competitors such as the Glock, you're going to have far more limited options in terms of holsters, sights, and other accessories. Personally I think that's a minor issue -- as long as there are good holsters and good sights available, who cares if there aren't also twenty more options that you don't want? -- but it's something that makes a big difference to some folks.

Anything particular to look (or look out) for?

Join HKPRO.com. There are some folks on that forum who know more about HK pistols than the people who build them.

Quick question about these pistols - I noticed that the slide release is ambi, which is cool, but it looks like it is right where I put my thumbs when firing.

Yes. Some people ride it, some don't. By utilizing the interchangeable backstraps and possibly tweaking your grip a bit, you can find a comfortable, effective grip that doesn't suffer from this problem. Quite a few folks here at PF, myself included, have gone through it.

The ambi release can rattle, especially in a kydex holster. I'd say it's somewhere near the top of my 1,000 Least Important Things to Worry About list.

gtmtnbiker98
03-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Just to make clear that what I said above and what you said here really aren't conflicting for the OP: It wouldn't surprise me if the ambi releases rattle on P2000/P30/HK45 guns. The ambi releases are multipart, so rattling's going to happen. On the USP, which doesn't have an ambi release, the release is a single, solid machined part that's under pressure from the guide rod. There's really no reason it should be rattling around unless the slide stop spring is worn out or something is out of spec.
Shouldn't be conflicting, I didn't address your statement since it was self explanatory. I knew what you were talking about, so I emphasized the slide release on the 'P' Series.

jslaker
03-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Shouldn't be conflicting, I didn't address your statement since it was self explanatory.

I agree. I was just clarifying for the OP that we were talking about two slightly different designs. So while I wouldn't worry about rattling on an ambi release gun, it'd probably give me pause for concern on a USP like he looked at.

It seems that in trying to avoid confusion, I have created confusion. ;)

vecdran
03-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Yes. Some people ride it, some don't. By utilizing the interchangeable backstraps and possibly tweaking your grip a bit, you can find a comfortable, effective grip that doesn't suffer from this problem. Quite a few folks here at PF, myself included, have gone through it.

The ambi release can rattle, especially in a kydex holster. I'd say it's somewhere near the top of my 1,000 Least Important Things to Worry About list.

Just to follow up one both of these points. I found that shooting a 1911 a bit, and adopting a "false safety" location for my weapon hand thumb completely solved all concerns of riding the slide release, and still resulted in a very comfortable and secure thumbs forward grip. YMMV

As for the rattle, if it really bugs the crap out of you (mine rattled like a babies toy), just take it off, and apply a small rectangle of the fuzzy side of adhesive velcro to it. Bam, problem solved.

JodyH
03-10-2011, 04:14 PM
I live outside the gates of FLETC-Artesia (USBP academy) and shoot with the instructors and armorers. Their only issue with the P2000 series is the trigger springs. Replace them regularly (every 10-15k rounds) and the gun will serve you well.

Red Leader
03-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Everyone thank you for your comments. They are much appreciated!

So you can take the left-side slide stop portion off? Thats good to know.

My inquiry wasn't so much about the sound of the rattle, but the function. Common sense would tell me that if a slide stop is loose/wiggly, then it might be 'stopping' the slide when I don't want it to:D, but as I have not used these pistols before, I cannot attest to that.

I got to hold a P2000sk and decided that the SK is definitely NOT for me - still have yet to find a full size 'round my area. However, I think I am narrowing it down. For a high capacity 9mm (12 or more rounds), I was looking at the Glock 19, the P228, and the P2000.

The shop I went to had a German P228 - VERY nice single action trigger. Gun actually felt pretty nice but was a little big and I'm not the biggest da/sa fan. Price was nothing to write home about but I know they can be found on the cheap used. However, due to the size and manual of arms, this one may be out.

I've held the Glock 19 several times (never fired one yet) and while the size is perfect, the silly hump in the back of the grip is still there. For the price though...I'd consider getting one and then just doing a grip reduction. Trigger felt good and price is right.

If I can find one I can afford, a used P2000 might be just the ticket.

I wish I could just find a range that had all 3 to test drive and go from there.

Comedian
03-12-2011, 07:14 AM
I had one in 9mm and prefer the P30. My P30 was more accurate.

JodyH
03-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I had one in 9mm and prefer the P30. My P30 was more accurate.
Nothing personal... but I have $100 that says both guns are more inherently accurate than you are.

JodyH
03-12-2011, 11:11 AM
My inquiry wasn't so much about the sound of the rattle, but the function. Common sense would tell me that if a slide stop is loose/wiggly, then it might be 'stopping' the slide when I don't want it to.
Your concern is unfounded.
I've never heard of or experienced premature slide lock with a P2000 due to the rattling slide release lever.
If it was a problem then I'd hear about it from the guys who are on the firing line with the largest P2000 issuing agency in the US (probably the world), the USBP academy here in New Mexico.
If the academy recruits can't screw it up, nobody can.

gtmtnbiker98
03-12-2011, 12:13 PM
At this point, I would start looking at both the P2000 and the P30. Once you feel and shoot a P30, all bets are off. I like my P2000 but I LOVE my P30(s) (all of them).

Comedian
03-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Nothing personal... but I have $100 that says both guns are more inherently accurate than you are.

That does not change the fact that the P30 was still more accurate than the P2000. So what's your point?

Chipster
03-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Sorry, told myself along time ago I would never get into an argument on the internet, again I apologize.

Chip

JodyH
03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
That does not change the fact that the P30 was still more accurate than the P2000. So what's your point?
YOU may have been more accurate with the P30, but since it and the P2000 are pretty much mechanically identical it's doubtful their inherent accuracy differs enough to be measurable unless your two samples were from opposite ends of the tolerance stacking spectrum.

Red Leader
03-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Forgot to add, if you are trying to get away from .45 ACP, then by all means, DO NOT HANDLE AN HK45c! The HK45c is the "cat's ass" when it comes to polymer .45s and has all the favorable attributes of the P2000 although chambered in .45 ACP. You've been warned.

Haha. Maybe that is somehow my subconscious trying to justify a back-door means to the HK45c through manual-of-arms familiarity with the P2000:D

I will admit that before taking an interest in the P2000, I was originally looking at the HK45c. Price kinda turned me away for the moment. But, when I heard about how supposedly similar the HK45c and the P2000 are, hmmmmm....

:cool:

eXtreme0327
03-14-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm a fellow lefty as well. You can take off the left hand/right side slide stop lever, and I have for both my p30 and hk45c for a little bit. I learned quickly though for me that it my reload times were longer and that you dont need high thumb pressure to accurately work a handgun. The other catch to removing the slide release is the axis pin for the mandatory slide stop on the gun sticks out quite a bit.

Pistol Shooter
03-14-2011, 03:42 PM
At this point, I would start looking at both the P2000 and the P30. Once you feel and shoot a P30, all bets are off. I like my P2000 but I LOVE my P30(s) (all of them).

+1

With the 3 adjustable backstrap pieces and side panels for the grip, the P30 can be configured to melt into almost anyone's hand.

Great ergonomics, accuracy and reliability. :D

Red Leader
03-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Does anyone have a picture of a P30 and a P2000 side by side to look at their grip lengths? I'm just concerned that if the grip length is a little too long that I'd have more of an issue with carry. I don't plan to switch firearms with the weather, so it would be on me through winter and summer alike.

I've held the P30. It felt great, but the grip did seem just a tad long to me.

jslaker
03-14-2011, 10:30 PM
HK lists the P30 as 5.43 inches tall and the P2000 as 5.04.

One thing worth noting is that the P2000 has the elongated USPc magazine floorplates, which is probably the single biggest impediment to concealing the USPc, in my experience. I'm not sure if HK's measurements include the floorplate at it's greatest length or not.

ETA:

This image actually makes it look like the P30 may be a hair shorter overall when including the floorplate, to my eye:

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/Ogliocene/Toys/1.jpg

wrt81
03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
HK lists the P30 as 5.43 inches tall and the P2000 as 5.04.

One thing worth noting is that the P2000 has the elongated USPc magazine floorplates, which is probably the single biggest impediment to concealing the USPc, in my experience. I'm not sure if HK's measurements include the floorplate at it's greatest length or not.

ETA:

This image actually makes it look like the P30 may be a hair shorter overall when including the floorplate, to my eye:

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/Ogliocene/Toys/1.jpg

Regarding the floorplates, you can get flat ones for the USPc & P2000 and makes them even with grip. Works great at helping them conceal a little better.

Also, I love my P2000. :)