PDA

View Full Version : Glock G45/19X/19 MOS for 2019 and beyond

GJM
10-08-2018, 06:25 PM
As 2018 winds towards 2019, I have been thinking about what pistol or pistols are likely to be important for my use next year and beyond. My short list of attributes is reasonably accurate, absolutely reliable, possessing a hammer or method of mimicking a hammer administratively, and being red dot friendly since I believe the Acro is likely to change the EDC world. Extra credit goes for well accessorized by the market and user serviceable.

Without realizing it, I have assembled a number of pistols that all play well together — those being the Glock 19X, and now the G5 19 MOS and Glock 45. For those not familiar, all those uppers and lowers interchange. All we now need, is what Tom Jones suggested, is the G5 26 to use the same locking block as the 45 et al, and it would join the mix and match party. Currently my various combinations cover smaller carry, medium carry, full size carry, field carry and USPSA Carry Optics. The only thing left out is a great USPSA Production pistol, due to the shorter sight radius. Here are some pictures of some of my configurations.

CS Tactical
10-08-2018, 06:53 PM
I can't wait to move out of California...

JHC
10-09-2018, 06:34 AM
Fun stuff. This G45 has rocked my Glock world.

What was your final or latest assessments of the tracking with a RDS of say the 19MOS, the 17 MOS and 34 MOS, all in Gen 5? I seem to recall your most recent impression was preferring the 17's dynamics over the 34s?

You also mentioned "field use" and that's provocative. I gather the performance of the Lehigh 9mm penetrator loading is a factor. I think that is totally valid as well.

GJM
10-09-2018, 07:31 AM
Fun stuff. This G45 has rocked my Glock world.

What was your final or latest assessments of the tracking with a RDS of say the 19MOS, the 17 MOS and 34 MOS, all in Gen 5? I seem to recall your most recent impression was preferring the 17's dynamics over the 34s?

You also mentioned "field use" and that's provocative. I gather the performance of the Lehigh 9mm penetrator loading is a factor. I think that is totally valid as well.

Still evaluating, but a full grip and shorter barrel seems to be very dot friendly.

A G45/19X sized pistol, Lehigh, Safariland 7TS and an Acro is an attractive concept for boondocking.

Grey
10-09-2018, 08:28 AM
Curious on your thoughts about what the G45 gives you over the 19X? Anything substantial beyond the FCS and no lip?

This is a total attempt at justifying a G45 using you as an SME...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Center Shot
10-09-2018, 08:35 AM
Does anyone have any info. on what the G44 might be?

GJM
10-09-2018, 08:44 AM
Curious on your thoughts about what the G45 gives you over the 19X? Anything substantial beyond the FCS and no lip?

This is a total attempt at justifying a G45 using you as an SME...

The 45 gives me forward serrations, which I add at significant cost when I have an optic direct milled, and an easier to reload mag well.

O4L
10-09-2018, 11:04 AM
I guess I'm out of the loop. What's this Acro you speak of?

Matt O
10-09-2018, 11:17 AM

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?31579-Aimpoint-just-dropped-ACRO-P-1-MRDS!

GJM
10-09-2018, 11:41 AM

It is an almost obtainable, unobtainium thing that we believe will revolutionize dots on handguns.

GJM
10-09-2018, 10:14 PM
I did some messing with pieces today. Took the Crimson Trace green laser off the G45 and slapped it on a 19X. This laser continues to impress me. Think it would be perfect on a red dot gun. Here is some shooting just before dark — ten shots to a 3x5 at 7 yards, and five shots to a one inch square. No holster yet.

https://youtu.be/YGNBrBPopbE

Put a DP Pro on the 19 MOS upper and put it on the G45 bottom. Like this combination a lot!

Note the Magpul Daka medium size bag in the photo — easily holds 400 rounds of 9mm and the best $22 I have spent on Amazon lately.

My wife was shooting her G5 17 and the 19X, and feels like the 19X shoots slightly flatter for her. Here is a screenshot from just before dark tonight.

backtrail540
10-09-2018, 11:49 PM
I did some messing with pieces today. Took the Crimson Trace green laser off the G45 and slapped it on a 19X. This laser continues to impress me. Think it would be perfect on a red dot gun. Here is some shooting just before dark — ten shots to a 3x5 at 7 yards, and five shots to a one inch square. No holster yet.

https://youtu.be/YGNBrBPopbE

Put a DP Pro on the 19 MOS upper and put it on the G45 bottom. Like this combination a lot!

Note the Magpul Daka medium size bag in the photo — easily holds 400 rounds of 9mm and the best $22 I have spent on Amazon lately.

My wife was shooting her G5 17 and the 19X, and feels like the 19X shoots slightly flatter for her. Here is a screenshot from just before dark tonight.

I see they're(crimson trace) getting into the optics game as well - from riflescope's to red dots (including mrds for pistols) according to their ig page. Maybe their mrds will compliment this laser unit nicely.

JHC
10-10-2018, 07:02 AM
GJM

Is that Crimson Trace laser the LL-807G?

GJM
10-10-2018, 07:29 AM
GJM

Is that Crimson Trace laser the LL-807G?

Yes

okie john
10-10-2018, 10:03 AM
As 2018 winds towards 2019, I have been thinking about what pistol or pistols are likely to be important for my use next year and beyond. My short list of attributes is reasonably accurate, absolutely reliable, possessing a hammer or method of mimicking a hammer administratively, and being red dot friendly since I believe the Acro is likely to change the EDC world. Extra credit goes for well accessorized by the market and user serviceable.

Without realizing it, I have assembled a number of pistols that all play well together — those being the Glock 19X, and now the G5 19 MOS and Glock 45. For those not familiar, all those uppers and lowers interchange. All we now need, is what Tom Jones suggested, is the G5 26 to use the same locking block as the 45 et al, and it would join the mix and match party. Currently my various combinations cover smaller carry, medium carry, full size carry, field carry and USPSA Carry Optics. The only thing left out is a great USPSA Production pistol, due to the shorter sight radius. Here are some pictures of some of my configurations.

I'm in a similar boat, but with fewer categories. I think that the Gen5 G19 MOS and the G43 will probably meet all of my needs for quite some time to come. The G19 will evolve toward being a Roland-like object adapted to EDC and field carry by swapping ammo, while the G43 stay with light stippling and night sights.

Okie John

scjbash
10-10-2018, 12:06 PM
I see they're(crimson trace) getting into the optics game as well - from riflescope's to red dots (including mrds for pistols) according to their ig page. Maybe their mrds will compliment this laser unit nicely.

https://www.crimsontrace.com/products/red-dot-sights

Sasage
10-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Waiting for my LGS to get in the 19 MOS.

Is there a standard to get optimal optic durability and longevity? Ie trijicon plate, longer screws, witness marks, blue loctite?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

GJM
10-10-2018, 12:38 PM

Is there a standard to get optimal optic durability and longevity? Ie trijicon plate, longer screws, witness marks, blue loctite?

Yes, direct mill installation.

Magsz
10-10-2018, 12:52 PM
George,

Im in the same boat. Prior to the G45, I was very much gaga over the 19X. I have always liked the impulse of a 19 length slide but could never warm up to the frame shape of a traditional G19. Enter the Gen 5 guns and the 19 became a no go for me, period, due to the cutout. That thing is better than Dracula at drawing blood.

The 19X fit the bill offering an incredible recoil impulse but with a full length grip that was easy to reload, fit the hand better than the 19 and was able to be concealed with proper attire and equipment. I much prefer the 19 length slide for AIWB as I find that a longer holster is very uncomfortable to me as I am high waisted and short torso'd. lol.

Enter the G45 and i am literally sitting here in my living room off duty fondling the gun and dry firing it while I type. This thing is literally the complete package minus a factory optics cut. If Glock releases an MOS option in peanut butter color I will probably crap myself.

I am NOT a glock fan beyond an appreciation for their effectiveness as a tool. The G45 is an amazing tool. I truly wish that this would be an option for uniformed carry.

GJM
10-10-2018, 05:09 PM
Neat screenshot from video yesterday showing shooting one inch square with laser.

Texaspoff
10-10-2018, 09:15 PM
George,

Im in the same boat. Prior to the G45, I was very much gaga over the 19X. I have always liked the impulse of a 19 length slide but could never warm up to the frame shape of a traditional G19. Enter the Gen 5 guns and the 19 became a no go for me, period, due to the cutout. That thing is better than Dracula at drawing blood.

The 19X fit the bill offering an incredible recoil impulse but with a full length grip that was easy to reload, fit the hand better than the 19 and was able to be concealed with proper attire and equipment. I much prefer the 19 length slide for AIWB as I find that a longer holster is very uncomfortable to me as I am high waisted and short torso'd. lol.

Enter the G45 and i am literally sitting here in my living room off duty fondling the gun and dry firing it while I type. This thing is literally the complete package minus a factory optics cut. If Glock releases an MOS option in peanut butter color I will probably crap myself.

I am NOT a glock fan beyond an appreciation for their effectiveness as a tool. The G45 is an amazing tool. I truly wish that this would be an option for uniformed carry.

you need to petition your higher ups... :) I have just finished my T&E of the G45 so I can add it to our approved list. 1000 rounds new out of the box, no cleaning and 100% reliability. Accuracy and recoil management it the same as the 19X, and the G45 throws brass out like there is no tomorrow. I have finished my write up for it, and it is GTG. I have 4 officers that have been waiting for me to finish....

https://i.imgur.com/XmasYNA.jpg

TXPO

HeavyDuty
10-10-2018, 09:25 PM
you need to petition your higher ups... :) I have just finished my T&E of the G45 so I can add it to our approved list. 1000 rounds new out of the box, no cleaning and 100% reliability. Accuracy and recoil management it the same as the 19X, and the G45 throws brass out like there is no tomorrow. I have finished my write up for it, and it is GTG. I have 4 officers that have been waiting for me to finish....

TXPO

You mentioned elsewhere that you had a mod for ALS to prevent the 45 from hanging up on the locking block. Can you tell me more? I’m an ALS user.

Doc_Glock
10-11-2018, 08:31 AM
Currently my various combinations cover smaller carry, medium carry, full size carry, field carry and USPSA Carry Optics. The only thing left out is a great USPSA Production pistol, due to the shorter sight radius.

I interpret this to mean you are all in on the 19 length slide except for USPSA production. Correct?

Also. Does Mrs. GJM smile, shake her head and say “I knew it all along.”[emoji23]

GJM
10-11-2018, 09:01 AM
I interpret this to mean you are all in on the 19 length slide except for USPSA production. Correct?

Also. Does Mrs. GJM smile, shake her head and say “I knew it all along.”[emoji23]

My wife tells me Glock shooters are sexy.

JHC
10-11-2018, 09:06 AM
. . . the G45 throws brass out like there is no tomorrow. ...

TXPO

Oh oh I forgot to mention in my shooting post - ejection. DAYIM! Measured 10 feet at 3:00.

Bucky
10-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Oh oh I forgot to mention in my shooting post - ejection. DAYIM! Measured 10 feet at 3:00.

This is good to hear. One thing I always liked better about my Berettas and HKs over Glock, is the first two always ejected with authority, and most important away from the shooter. My G19 Gen 4 has yet to hiccup, even when trying to induce limp wrist malfunctions, but it's a little off putting seeing the brass dribble out in every which direction.

GJM
10-11-2018, 11:24 AM
This is good to hear. One thing I always liked better about my Berettas and HKs over Glock, is the first two always ejected with authority, and most important away from the shooter. My G19 Gen 4 has yet to hiccup, even when trying to induce limp wrist malfunctions, but it's a little off putting seeing the brass dribble out in every which direction.

Progress — now we can confidently shoot a Glock in short sleeves without worrying about brass to arms!

Grey
10-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Progress — now we can confidently shoot a Glock in short sleeves without worrying about brass to arms!I thought chicks dig scars?

GJM
10-11-2018, 09:18 PM
This afternoon, I decided to shoot my CO G4 34 against my G5 19 MOS upper with a G45 lower. Both pistols had a DP Pro, although the 34 was direct milled and the 19/45 combo was MOS. The Gen 4 34 has a JohnnyGlocks trigger and 4.5 striker spring, where the G45 has a 5.0 striker spring and OEM minus connector. I shot the same array a half dozen times to try to collect meaningful data. This is the array I was shooting.

Both pistols were close, with a slight advantage to the shorter slide. Not enough difference to discard vetted 34 pistols, but good news for someone trying to use a G45 for everything.

Here is video from my last run with the 19/45 combo.

https://youtu.be/mnfOejkaHvA

Texaspoff
10-11-2018, 10:08 PM
You mentioned elsewhere that you had a mod for ALS to prevent the 45 from hanging up on the locking block. Can you tell me more? I’m an ALS user.

I can't take any pictures of the mod currently, and most of you will probably laugh, but it works.

Pick up some of the industrial strength Velcro from the hardware store, the one in the white box. Take a piece of the soft side and cut a small section about inch wide by two inches. Also cut the Velcro pile, like you would be cutting hair. Lay it flat and trim it..this really just helps with clearance. It isn't necessary but it helps.

Remove the ALS lock from your holster. Look at the U shaped area, specifically the side opposite the ejection port side. There are two raised tabs in this area. The serrations catch on these two tabs. Take the Velcro and cover the tabs up with it. Make sure the velco is only on the side and does not run up to the top of the U shaped area. Also make sure the Velcro doesn't hang off the edges anywhere.

Silly as this seems, it prevents the serrations from hanging up on the ALS system. The ejection port side isn't a problem as the design of that side doesn't interfere with the serrations.

I'll try and remove my ALS lock tomorrow and get a picture of the Velcro installed.

It doesn't affect the locking of the pistol at all, and the serrations now slide past the two tabs.

It ain't the greatest fix, but until Safariand redesigns the ALS for the front serrations, it will work. I have had no issues with this even when putting a scalding hot pistol in the holster.

TXPO

cornstalker
10-11-2018, 10:11 PM
GJM , what sights do you have on that rig in the video?

Edit: Referring to the irons.

GJM
10-11-2018, 10:48 PM
GJM , what sights do you have on that rig in the video?

Edit: Referring to the irons.

Ameriglo suppressor height BUIS, from when I had an RMR on, but they are non-functional with the DP Pro.

HeavyDuty
10-12-2018, 01:43 AM
I can't take any pictures of the mod currently, and most of you will probably laugh, but it works.

Pick up some of the industrial strength Velcro from the hardware store, the one in the white box. Take a piece of the soft side and cut a small section about inch wide by two inches. Also cut the Velcro pile, like you would be cutting hair. Lay it flat and trim it..this really just helps with clearance. It isn't necessary but it helps.

Remove the ALS lock from your holster. Look at the U shaped area, specifically the side opposite the ejection port side. There are two raised tabs in this area. The serrations catch on these two tabs. Take the Velcro and cover the tabs up with it. Make sure the velco is only on the side and does not run up to the top of the U shaped area. Also make sure the Velcro doesn't hang off the edges anywhere.

Silly as this seems, it prevents the serrations from hanging up on the ALS system. The ejection port side isn't a problem as the design of that side doesn't interfere with the serrations.

I'll try and remove my ALS lock tomorrow and get a picture of the Velcro installed.

It doesn't affect the locking of the pistol at all, and the serrations now slide past the two tabs.

It ain't the greatest fix, but until Safariand redesigns the ALS for the front serrations, it will work. I have had no issues with this even when putting a scalding hot pistol in the holster.

TXPO

Thank you!

KeeFus
10-12-2018, 09:10 AM
I have no intentions of carrying the G45 as an "on-duty" weapon but I became curious about it in a duty holster; our holsters are Safariland 6360 w/ WML for patrol and 7TS w/ WML for admin days and detectives.

Just using the pistol without a WML in the 7TS holster it drags slightly but not enough to slow a draw. Attached the WML to it and it gets tight...really tight. Without the WML on the 6360 drags bad and it gets worse with the WML attached. The WML is a Streamlight TLR-1. I will try it with the Surefie X300 next week.

GJM
10-12-2018, 11:32 AM
This morning, I shot a G5 17 with a Pro vs the 19 upper/G45 lower with Pro on Garcia dots, and the shorter slide was definitively faster on this.

GJM
10-12-2018, 04:06 PM
To summarize — yesterday, I benchmarked the G45 configuration against a G4 34, and slightly preferred the G45, even though I am much more familiar with the 34, the 34 has a JohnnyGlocks trigger, and the G45 stock but with a minus and Wolf spring. This morning, I did a similar comparison between G45 and G5 MOS 17, and had a definite preference for the G45. Plan to shoot it in USPSA for a while.

Just now, I went back to the range with my wife. Near the end, I decided to check pure speed with the G45, and here is a series of draw and shoot three, followed immediately by a Garcia dot drill to make sure I was staying disciplined about trigger control.

I was tense initially on the draws, and by relaxing, got down to .98 on the last draw and shoot three.

https://youtu.be/9rlCsQyylw0

https://youtu.be/rrwmNbvigTQ

Sent from my iPad

JBP55
10-12-2018, 08:04 PM
This morning, I shot a G5 17 with a Pro vs the 19 upper/G45 lower with Pro on Garcia dots, and the shorter slide was definitively faster on this.

Have you looked at the design change to the breech face on the G45 and several other newer Glocks that is supposed to hold the case better and enhance the ejection?

Grey
10-12-2018, 08:10 PM
Damn nice shooting GJM!

GJM
10-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Have you looked at the design change to the breech face on the G45 and several other newer Glocks that is supposed to hold the case better and enhance the ejection?

I have seen reference to a change, but am fuzzy as to exactly what it is. My multiple 19X pistols and my new G45 huck the brass out like an HK.

JBP55
10-12-2018, 08:48 PM
I have seen reference to a change, but am fuzzy as to exactly what it is. My multiple 19X pistols and my new G45 huck the brass out like an HK.

Near the bottom of the breech face opposite the extractor there is a small notch cut out which may not be seen from the top with the slide assembled.

secondstoryguy
10-13-2018, 01:08 AM
I have been extremely impressed with the ejection/extraction across numerous Gen 5 models with a variety of ammunition. They do eject like my HKs...

Magsz
10-13-2018, 12:42 PM

TXPO

Would it be possible to share your write up with me privately? Im looking for all of the ammunition i can possibly get in order to start petitioning a switch to 9mm but im just a lone road patrol deputy with zero influence yet a good attitude in a gigantic department that absolutely, positively adores .40 cal for whatever reason.

Its an up hill battle, switching from .40 to 9mm first and foremost and then getting other, "non standard" models approved.

Warrior45
10-13-2018, 03:35 PM

TXPO

Why don’t you just remove the two tabs? I have Dremeled many Safariland holsters to help with problems like this.

GJM
10-13-2018, 05:55 PM
Switched to an OEM minus connector in my G45 and the trigger felt nowhere near as good as with the dot connector that came with it. Switched back and all is well. My 19X pistols with dot and a Wold 5.0 are consistent, pistol to pistol, and all very good.

Sherman A. House DDS
10-13-2018, 07:01 PM
Switched to an OEM minus connector in my G45 and the trigger felt nowhere near as good as with the dot connector that came with it. Switched back and all is well. My 19X pistols with dot and a Wold 5.0 are consistent, pistol to pistol, and all very good.

George...what’s the specs on these sights? Can I put Gen 3/4 Heinie sights in them, or do they need to be a specific Gen 5 cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GJM
10-13-2018, 08:18 PM
George...what’s the specs on these sights? Can I put Gen 3/4 Heinie sights in them, or do they need to be a specific Gen 5 cut?

Good timing. I just returned from a range session to verify zero on a set of just about stalled Glock Bold sights for the Gen 3/4 17,19 and similar pistols and they regulated perfectly on my G45. They have a .180 x .140 tall front sight. Previously I used the Ameriglo Agent 42/43 sights on a few 19X pistols, which come with a .190 x.125 tall front, and they were a smidge low but usable. I also prefer the non U rear that comes with the Glock Bold set over the Agents with the U rear.

Sherman A. House DDS
10-13-2018, 08:29 PM
Good timing. I just returned from a range session to verify zero on a set of just about stalled Glock Bold sights for the Gen 3/4 17,19 and similar pistols and they regulated perfectly on my G45. They have a .180 x .140 tall front sight. Previously I used the Ameriglo Agent 42/43 sights on a few 19X pistols, which come with a .190 x.125 tall front, and they were a smidge low but usable. I also prefer the non U rear that comes with the Glock Bold set over the Agents with the U rear.

Thank you Sir. I just ordered my favorite OLD MAN sights...Heinie slants/str8 8’s, in Gen 5 height!

GJM
10-13-2018, 08:32 PM
Thank you Sir. I just ordered my favorite OLD MAN sights...Heinie slants/str8 8’s, in Gen 5 height!

Generally Gen 5 specific sights are .20 taller, and hit low. For example the Gen 5 Bold is .200 tall, the 42/43 is .190 and Gen 3/4 is .180 or even .165. I would worry your sights will hit low, but you can check exact dimensions.

Sherman A. House DDS
10-13-2018, 08:39 PM
I’m sure Heinie has them dialed in. If they don’t, I have a jar of Gen 3 Heinie fronts.

NickDrak
10-13-2018, 08:51 PM

*Don't use Red or Blue Loctite brand thread adhesive. (*Blue isn't strong enough and Red Loctite is too strong and will result in stripped out screw heads) Only use VibraTite brand VC-3

*Get a torque wrench and install both the adapter plate and the RMR screws with 14-15 INCH lbs of torque.

*Do NOT use the two mounting screws that come included in the box with the Trjicon RMR for mounting on an MOS. Order the proper length screws for you desired RDS. (BattleWerx.com sells RDS and MOS adapter plate screws for every combination you can think of.

*I've had none of the reported issues with a few MOS Glocks using this method over the past 3 years.

*I'm currently experimenting with the C&H Precision MOS adapter plates on my MOS Glocks. It appears to be a superior adapter plate for the MOS platform as it supports the Trijicon RMR front & rear instead of just relying on the recoil lugs and the two mounting screws. It also completely covers the bottom of the RMR's footprint.

Sasage
10-13-2018, 09:23 PM
*Don't use Red or Blue Loctite brand thread adhesive. (*Blue isn't strong enough and Red Loctite is too strong and will result in stripped out screw heads) Only use VibraTite brand VC-3

*Get a torque wrench and install both the adapter plate and the RMR screws with 14-15 INCH lbs of torque.

*Do NOT use the two mounting screws that come included in the box with the Trjicon RMR for mounting on an MOS. Order the proper length screws for you desired RDS. (BattleWerx.com sells RDS and MOS adapter plate screws for every combination you can think of.

*I've had none of the reported issues with a few MOS Glocks using this method over the past 3 years.

*I'm currently experimenting with the C&H Precision MOS adapter plates on my MOS Glocks. It appears to be a superior adapter plate for the MOS platform as it supports the Trijicon RMR front & rear instead of just relying on the recoil lugs and the two mounting screws. It also completely covers the bottom of the RMR's footprint.Thank you

Trukinjp13
10-13-2018, 09:31 PM

*I'm currently experimenting with the C&H Precision MOS adapter plates on my MOS Glocks. It appears to be a superior adapter plate for the MOS platform as it supports the Trijicon RMR front & rear instead of just relying on the recoil lugs and the two mounting screws. It also completely covers the bottom of the RMR's footprint.

This is solid info! My biggest issue with the mos is the user interface with installation. Proper screws/torque and materials will go along way.

s0nspark
10-14-2018, 06:48 AM

Can you offer any recommendations?

I plan to order the Battle Werx RMR screw set but am not sure what constitutes a good torque wrench for this application or where to get the proper, quality bits.

Sasage
10-14-2018, 09:19 AM

I plan to order the Battle Werx RMR screw set but am not sure what constitutes a good torque wrench for this application or where to get the proper, quality bits.This is what I have used for AR optic mounting etc.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/718023/wheeler-engineering-fat-firearm-accurizing-torque-torque-wrench-screwdriver?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Gunsmithing+-+Tools%2C+Jigs+%26+Fixtures&utm_content=718023&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Gunsmithing+-+Tools%2C+Jigs+%26+Fixtures-_-Wheeler+Engineering-_-718023&gclid=CjwKCAjw0oveBRAmEiwAzf6_rDqhHnpzkY1jUFpTenad FQEx6d--YixfVGOk1OYXIkPAzE5JMtQ9XRoCG2EQAvD_BwE

NickDrak
10-14-2018, 01:23 PM

I plan to order the Battle Werx RMR screw set but am not sure what constitutes a good torque wrench for this application or where to get the proper, quality bits.

The Wheeler FatWrench linked to above has worked for me without issue.

s0nspark
10-14-2018, 01:52 PM
This is what I have used for AR optic mounting etc.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/718023/wheeler-engineering-fat-firearm-accurizing-torque-torque-wrench-screwdriver?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Gunsmithing+-+Tools%2C+Jigs+%26+Fixtures&utm_content=718023&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Gunsmithing+-+Tools%2C+Jigs+%26+Fixtures-_-Wheeler+Engineering-_-718023&gclid=CjwKCAjw0oveBRAmEiwAzf6_rDqhHnpzkY1jUFpTenad FQEx6d--YixfVGOk1OYXIkPAzE5JMtQ9XRoCG2EQAvD_BwE

The Wheeler FatWrench linked to above has worked for me without issue.

Awesome - thanks to both of you.

Does it come with the bits I'll need for the Battle Werx MOS screws? I looked over Wheeler's online manual but did not see specific mention of the M2 Hex, for example, but I am fairly unfamiliar with the nomenclature. The bits I am used to dealing with are the digital kind ;-)

GJM
10-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Awesome - thanks to both of you.

Does it come with the bits I'll need for the Battle Werx MOS screws? I looked over Wheeler's online manual but did not see specific mention of the M2 Hex, for example, but I am fairly unfamiliar with the nomenclature. The bits I am used to dealing with are the digital kind ;-)

I have a Wheeler — believe the same model and the bits don’t go that small.

Whiskey_Bravo
10-14-2018, 07:18 PM
The Wheeler does not come with many bits, especially small torx. I bought a large (100+) bit set from Lowe's for like $29 and it works great with the Wheeler and I haven't encountered a situation yet where there was the right size in that box.

Love the smoothness of the exterior 19X for carry. Would like to send the frame Cold Bore for the universal magazine compatibility mod. I like the forward serrations of my 45 for grippy purposes. Plan to order a 19.5 MOS FS this week to complete the GJM Trinity. These configurations really do make a whole lot of sense.

My 45 does grab in a Safariland ALS holster. I only have a 7TS series on hand right now to test, but during the draw it sounds almost like a washboard if you slow it down. You can absolutely just pull straight through on the draw and go through it, but it does not instill confidence. May have to try the Velcro mod mentioned above.

Can anyone here comment on how the G45 serrations work with the new 6390RDS series holsters?

Wake27
10-14-2018, 10:50 PM
The Wheeler does not come with many bits, especially small torx. I bought a large (100+) bit set from Lowe's for like $29 and it works great with the Wheeler and I haven't encountered a situation yet where there was the right size in that box.

Love the smoothness of the exterior 19X for carry. Would like to send the frame Cold Bore for the universal magazine compatibility mod. I like the forward serrations of my 45 for grippy purposes. Plan to order a 19.5 MOS FS this week to complete the GJM Trinity. These configurations really do make a whole lot of sense.

My 45 does grab in a Safariland ALS holster. I only have a 7TS series on hand right now to test, but during the draw it sounds almost like a washboard if you slow it down. You can absolutely just pull straight through on the draw and go through it, but it does not instill confidence. May have to try the Velcro mod mentioned above.

Can anyone here comment on how the G45 serrations work with the new 6390RDS series holsters?

My ATEi front serrations didn't play well with my 6354DO, so I just did a ton of unholster/reholster one night. The serrations tore up the ALS lock just enough that it felt smooth, may be worth a shot since it didn't hurt the slide at all.

HeavyDuty
10-15-2018, 07:47 AM

TXPO

Why don’t you just remove the two tabs? I have Dremeled many Safariland holsters to help with problems like this.

I looked at my old 637x and saw the two bumps in the ALS locking block. I was getting the interference until I gave the holster some heat gun discipline to relieve the right side slide stop area - now I’m getting no interference at all on draw or reholstering unless I rotate the gun, and even then it’s very minor. Could something else be pushing the gun to the left of the holster causing it to rub harder against the two nubs?

I suspect a few thousand draw cycles will polish those nubs right up, just in time for replacing the ALS locking block.

GJM
10-17-2018, 07:23 AM
Two things I don’t like about Gen 5 baseplates are I find the design more prone to pinching during a reload, and the big problem, is the magazines don’t work in a regular 19X. Despite good intentions, I can see a Gen 5 magazine ending up in a mag pouch when you have a 19X.

How much material needs to be removed from the X magwell to make a Gen 5 base plate work, and is that something you can do by hand with a file?

JBP55
10-17-2018, 09:04 AM
Two things I don’t like about Gen 5 baseplates are I find the design more prone to pinching during a reload, and the big problem, is the magazines don’t work in a regular 19X. Despite good intentions, I can see a Gen 5 magazine ending up in a mag pouch when you have a 19X.

How much material needs to be removed from the X magwell to make a Gen 5 base plate work, and is that something you can do by hand with a file?

I have more than a lifetime supply of Gen 4 magazines so I leave the Gen 5 magazines in the Glock boxes which are put away.

If I chose to use them I would change the base plates to Gen 4 units.

JHC
10-17-2018, 10:42 AM

Also on my list of stuff to learn because I'm thinking of getting a 19X later this year and would Dremel or file off that tab.

GJM
10-17-2018, 11:08 AM
I have more than a lifetime supply of Gen 4 magazines so I leave the Gen 5 magazines in the Glock boxes which are put away.

If I chose to use them I would change the base plates to Gen 4 units.

That is one approach, but a major advantage of the Glock is how many Glock pistols, magazines and accessories are out there. I don’t like have a specific model pistol, in the 19X, that doesn’t use commonly available Glock magazines, since most others are unlikely to keep their Gen 5 mags in their new boxes. Whittling on the X magwell seems attractive, if not too difficult.

Magsz
10-17-2018, 05:15 PM
SUPER easy fix.

Hand tools are all that you need. Chop the bitch off with a dremel, hobby knife, whatever.

Then sand smooth.

feudist
10-17-2018, 07:40 PM
SUPER easy fix.

Hand tools are all that you need. Chop the bitch off with a dremel, hobby knife, whatever.

Then sand smooth.

Absolutely.

A Glock ain't your Uptown girl. It's your bottom bitch.

:p

GJM
10-17-2018, 08:14 PM
Yesterday, I bought my second G45. Took it to the range today, with a plan of runnng a few magazines to verify function, before sending it off to Primary for direct milling. I had so much fun, I ended up shooting it almost the whole session. Even with the plastic sights it was regulated, and I wouldn’t hesitate to carry it home as my EDC.

These pistols replace both the 19 and 17 for me, and I can see thinning much of my Glock herd in favor of the G45 with a few 19 MOS and 19X pistols to indulge urges. I wouldn’t be surprised if the G45 becomes one of their most popular models based on 2019 sales volume.

Doc_Glock
10-17-2018, 09:56 PM
Yesterday, I bought my second G45. Took it to the range today, with a plan of runnng a few magazines to verify function, before sending it off to Primary for direct milling. I had so much fun, I ended up shooting it almost the whole session. Even with the plastic sights it was regulated, and I wouldn’t hesitate to carry it home as my EDC.

These pistols replace both the 19 and 17 for me, and I can see thinning much of my Glock herd in favor of the G45 with a few 19 MOS and 19X pistols to indulge urges. I wouldn’t be surprised if the G45 becomes one of their most popular models based on 2019 sales volume.

Would you cut down a 45 to 19 size grip for carry?

GJM
10-17-2018, 10:00 PM

For the last three months, I have most commonly carried a full size 19X. Because the grip is larger, I can wear the holster low and it conceals as well as a 19 worn higher. I do have a 19X frame cut to 26 size, when footprint is important.

Wake27
10-18-2018, 02:10 AM
I may have missed this since there’s so much talk about the new Glocks, but functionally, what reason is there to buy the 19X now that the 45 is out?

Bucky
10-18-2018, 04:38 AM

I’ve actually seriously considered this. I like the 17 grip profile better than the 19, but the 19 grip length is easier to conceal. Also, I’d have it cut like a G26, where the backstrap overhangs the length of the mag, giving me a slightly longer grip, without taking away from concealability, since grip + mag is the same length anyway.

Plus, I’m a big fan of front cocking serrations, which my current 19 doesn’t have.

JHC
10-18-2018, 06:01 AM
I may have missed this since there’s so much talk about the new Glocks, but functionally, what reason is there to buy the 19X now that the 45 is out?

I prefer the feature set on my G45 better but I'm hankering to have a 19X (which I've shot a couple hundred rounds through) because of what it represents. Kinda commemorative like. The texture on the slide and maritime cups are kinda tacticool things.

MGW
10-18-2018, 06:26 AM
My 19x is really growing in me. I worked with my 17.5 last night and all I could think about was I wish I was shooting the X. My carry needs are met by the 19x and I shoot it as well (or as bad depending on the day) as my 17. Seriously considering turning the 17 into a new 34 for serious games and picking up a second x as a back up carry.

nightstalker865
10-18-2018, 06:27 AM

Color choice would be the only reason. The G45 is essentially an upgraded G19X.

Whiskey_Bravo
10-18-2018, 08:45 AM

Realistically no. It's a personal toss up basically. The factory magwell on the 45 seems to be about as polarizing as the freaking nub on the 19X for most people. Front serrations on the 45 are doing the same thing to people now as well, even though the internet seemed to collectively demand them from Glock for a long time.

Functionally both guns will get it done. I am carrying my 19X over my 45 now simply because my 19X has been vetted to my satisfaction and I have not been able to do the same with my 45 as of yet. The 19X also has a subtle smoothness to it that I love. The nub on the front strap is actually very comfortable to me and I like it, but will likely chop it off at some point to gain universal magazine compatibility. I like the FDE color, but don't love it.

Doc_Glock
10-18-2018, 09:21 AM
My 19x is really growing in me. I worked with my 17.5 last night and all I could think about was I wish I was shooting the X. My carry needs are met by the 19x and I shoot it as well (or as bad depending on the day) as my 17. Seriously considering turning the 17 into a new 34 for serious games and picking up a second x as a back up carry.

And here I thought you were all done with Glocks...

vaglocker
10-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Anybody had issues with the Magpul magazines and Gen5 glocks? Recently picked up a Gen5 19 MOS and am getting premature lock back on the slide when using the Magpul mags.

Grey
10-18-2018, 11:40 AM
Anybody had issues with the Magpul magazines and Gen5 glocks? Recently picked up a Gen5 19 MOS and am getting premature lock back on the slide when using the Magpul mags.There was a thread about magpul mags having issues. Ill try to find it later if others dont first.

GJM
10-18-2018, 11:49 AM
The Glock 9mm 17/19 magazines have used the same number six follower for longer than I can remember, like decades, attesting to the stability and maturity of the OEM 9mm magazines. Given their availability and reasonable price, I can't imagine using anything but OEM magazines in my Glock pistols, given the financial and psychological cost of a malfunction. My 140mm mags are OEM plus the Taran baseplates.

JBP55
10-18-2018, 12:27 PM
The Glock 9mm 17/19 magazines have used the same number six follower for longer than I can remember, like decades, attesting to the stability and maturity of the OEM 9mm magazines. Given their availability and reasonable price, I can't imagine using anything but OEM magazines in my Glock pistols, given the financial and psychological cost of a malfunction. My 140mm mags are OEM plus the Taran baseplates.

I concur.

GJM
10-18-2018, 01:17 PM
If someone bought a G45 and a G5 19 MOS, they could cover a bunch of configurations.

Rc217
10-18-2018, 01:57 PM
If someone bought a G45 and a G5 19 MOS, they could cover a bunch of configurations.

I had the same thought but wanted to get a g45 and a unity slide.

JHC
10-18-2018, 01:57 PM

That seals it. ;)

GJM
10-18-2018, 06:30 PM
Got to the range this afternoon, and couldn’t wait to shoot my stock Glock 45 withnthe factory plastic sights. First is the stock 45 at about 13 yards to the array, then my G45/with 19 MOS upper and DP Pro at 20 something yards.

https://youtu.be/S-0H9pI3zo0

flyrodr
10-18-2018, 07:31 PM

Being relatively new to Glock and its variations, I was at my LGS today, thinking I wanted a G5 19. When salesman handed it to me, I understood the comments about the cut-out, which "fit" just under my little finger. So I looked at the G45. Liked it, but with smallish hands, didn't see the need for the longer grip, at least for carry. And didn't even consider the MOS. Clearly, my pea brain, used to processing one gun purchase at a time, didn't make the above 1+1>2. Thanks George!

MGW
10-18-2018, 07:50 PM
And here I thought you were all done with Glocks...

I still don’t like how inconsistent I am with them but lack of time has forced me to keep it simple for now.

MGW
10-18-2018, 07:54 PM
That seals it. ;)

I’ve sworn off red dots until the ACRO is available.

JHC
10-19-2018, 01:57 AM
I’ve sworn off red dots until the ACRO is available.

My thoughts as well.

JHC
10-19-2018, 06:28 AM
My G45 fits fine in the following holsters I've been using with Gen 3's and 4's.

1. DSG clip holster
2. Milt Sparks 55BN
3. FIST #1K (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1K)
4. Talon Tactical A10

The Sparks fit was the biggest surprise. I've got a few more but haven't gotten around to checking others.

JHC
10-19-2018, 06:29 AM
My G45 fits fine in the following holsters I've been using with Gen 3's and 4's.

1. DSG clip holster
2. Milt Sparks 55BN
3. FIST #1K (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1K)
4. Talon Tactical A10

The Sparks fit was the biggest surprise. I've got a few more but haven't gotten around to checking others.

Whiskey_Bravo
10-19-2018, 09:34 AM
I had the same thought but wanted to get a g45 and a unity slide.

I thought the same way at first also, but you can purchase an entire Gen 5 19 MOS for about what it would cost to buy a Unity Slide stripped. That is at Blue Label prices. At regular street prices, it would still be cheaper to buy the 19 MOS and a set of suppressor height sights once you price out the small parts for the Unity slide, a barrel, and your mounting plate of choice.

Rc217
10-19-2018, 12:27 PM
I thought the same way at first also, but you can purchase an entire Gen 5 19 MOS for about what it would cost to buy a Unity Slide stripped. That is at Blue Label prices. At regular street prices, it would still be cheaper to buy the 19 MOS and a set of suppressor height sights once you price out the small parts for the Unity slide, a barrel, and your mounting plate of choice.

Good point. My other angle was to use my gen 5 34 as a dedicated gun for irons then buying an atom 17 length slide. The gen 5 17 mos makes more sense other than I prefer the unity mounting system. I know the mos can be done right but I like the ability to mark and check the adapter plate screw on the atom.

newyork
10-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Anyone get a 19 mos just for the lack of cut out and for the fcs? Do Bold sights hang off the back?

TCFD273
10-19-2018, 06:40 PM
Anyone get a 19 mos just for the lack of cut out and for the fcs? Do Bold sights hang off the back?

Yes, they will hang off the back

Magsz
10-20-2018, 12:17 PM
I sat in a gun shop yesterday for an HOUR ruminating about buying a 45 and a 19.5 MOS and swapping the top ends.

Ultimately, I passed, or waffled, or realistically, pussied out because I couldn't find a use for the 19.5 frankengun. I dont like sitting on assets that have zero use to me and an uncertain future as to whether or not I could sell the frankenpistol to someone.

I think optimism also won out in that I would hope that a some point in the future there will be a 45 MOS available to us. I went through the entire gammut of thought regarding sending a 45 out to be milled but I always came back to the desire to have a futureproof pistol, enter the MOS, so to speak. I'm really hopeful for the future and id love to see more optics like the ACRO from major manufacturers coming down the pipe. I also considered Unity, Agency AOS, etc but none of that really appeals to me due to cost.

I normally dont fall victim to this but holy shit, analysis led to paralysis yesterday. :P

HCM
10-20-2018, 01:02 PM
I sat in a gun shop yesterday for an HOUR ruminating about buying a 45 and a 19.5 MOS and swapping the top ends.

Ultimately, I passed, or waffled, or realistically, pussied out because I couldn't find a use for the 19.5 frankengun. I dont like sitting on assets that have zero use to me and an uncertain future as to whether or not I could sell the frankenpistol to someone.

I think optimism also won out in that I would hope that a some point in the future there will be a 45 MOS available to us. I went through the entire gammut of thought regarding sending a 45 out to be milled but I always came back to the desire to have a futureproof pistol, enter the MOS, so to speak. I'm really hopeful for the future and id love to see more optics like the ACRO from major manufacturers coming down the pipe. I also considered Unity, Agency AOS, etc but none of that really appeals to me due to cost.

I normally dont fall victim to this but holy shit, analysis led to paralysis yesterday. :P

Honestly you would make more selling the orphaned slide and frame seperately than as a Franken gun.

/enabling.

JBP55
10-20-2018, 02:30 PM
I will give you $300 for the Frankengun with box and all contents.

Magsz
10-20-2018, 04:25 PM
Honestly you would make more selling the orphaned slide and frame seperately than as a Franken gun.

/enabling.

You...mother#(&$#! :P

That's not a bad idea. Ill have to think about that.

Magsz
10-20-2018, 04:26 PM
I will give you $300 for the Frankengun with box and all contents.

And....no.

Beat Trash
10-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Yes, they will hang off the back

Well Crap...

I was panning on buying one just to have the front slide serrations and lack of a cutout on the magazine well. But I like and use the Ameriglo Bold sights...

newyork
10-21-2018, 10:40 AM
PM me if you have an answer;

Anyone know who has a G5 G19 MOS in stock at a fair price that’s swap mags out for 10rd?

GJM
10-23-2018, 03:39 PM
While I was away at elk camp for five days, my wife was practicing, doing some stuff like .85 draws and .14 splits. Today, we hit the range, and I felt like I had to lay down some speed! Certainly not on demand, or match pace, but I managed to draw and hit three eight inch steel at ten yards in 1.15 (.61 draw, .27, .27) with the DP Pro on 19 MOS upper and the G45 lower.

GJM
10-23-2018, 04:28 PM
While I was away at elk camp for five days, my wife was practicing, doing some stuff like .85 draws and .14 splits. Today, we hit the range, and I felt like I had to lay down some speed! Certainly not on demand, or match pace, but I managed to draw and hit three eight inch steel at ten yards in 1.15 (.61 draw, .27, .27) with the DP Pro on 19 MOS upper and the G45 lower.

Forgot the video:

https://youtu.be/FTAvUem5U4M

GuanoLoco
10-24-2018, 12:09 AM
Jeebus.

JHC
10-24-2018, 05:52 AM
Forgot the video:

https://youtu.be/FTAvUem5U4M

GJM
11-02-2018, 09:04 PM
A few more thoughts on the G45 after about a month.

It throws the brass out there like an HK. I think it is a great dot platform, as the dot seems quieter than when on a G34. This was the biggest surprise — it doesn’t draw quite as quickly as a 17/34 for me from an OWB holster. The reason is I hit the gun aggressively with my initial touch, and the longer barrel of the 17/34 anchors the pistol better. With the shorter slide, I need to be more careful not to upset the pistol, as the shorter slide is less stable in the holster. Probably not an issue with AIWB. Overall, I love the G45. It and a 19MOS makes a great mix and match combination. Glock OEM Bold sights for the Gen 3/4 small frame Glock pistols (.180 tall front) regulate perfectly on my G45. Unlike most other Glock pistols, my rear sight is centered in the dovetail to shoot to zero.

I bet the G45 becomes the best selling Glock for LE and is a major success for Glock.

Doc_Glock
11-02-2018, 09:09 PM
A few more thoughts on the G45 after about a month.

It throws the brass out there like an HK. I think it is a great dot platform, as the dot seems quieter than when on a G34. This was the biggest surprise — it doesn’t draw quite as quickly as a 17/34 for me from an OWB holster. The reason is I hit the gun aggressively with my initial touch, and the longer barrel of the 17/34 anchors the pistol better. With the shorter slide, I need to be more careful not to upset the pistol, as the shorter slide is less stable in the holster. Probably not an issue with AIWB. Overall, I love the G45. It and a 19MOS makes a great mix and match combination. Glock OEM Bold sights for the Gen 3/4 small frame Glock pistols (.180 tall front) regulate perfectly on my G45. Unlike most other Glock pistols, my rear sight is centered in the dovetail to shoot to zero.

I bet the G45 becomes the best selling Glock for LE and is a major success for Glock.

Good report. Did you ever compare the P30 to the P30l?

YVK
11-02-2018, 09:16 PM
With the shorter slide, I need to be more careful not to upset the pistol, as the shorter slide is less stable in the holster.

Maybe tighten up those retention screws? I understand that the new Stoeger's holster that you're using has three retention screws rather than two; might get you a better hold.

GJM
11-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Good report. Did you ever compare the P30 to the P30l?

I prefer the P30L, probably because I have a pair of DA/SA L pistols, set up by a PF member with great triggers. I felt like I shot the L better at distance, given they were iron sight pistols. It has been so long since I shot both, that I wouldn’t read much into this.

I think I still have a GGI trigger job LEM P30L if you are looking.

GJM
11-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Maybe tighten up those retention screws? I understand that the new Stoeger's holster that you're using has three retention screws rather than two; might get you a better hold.

I am out of love with the actual new Stoeger holster shell, even though I like the hardware and thicker hangar. It is too flexible.

Doc_Glock
11-02-2018, 09:28 PM
I prefer the P30L, probably because I have a pair of DA/SA L pistols, set up by a PF member with great triggers. I felt like I shot the L better at distance, given they were iron sight pistols. It has been so long since I shot both, that I wouldn’t read much into this.

I think I still have a GGI trigger job LEM P30L if you are looking.

Not looking. Just fishing to see if the 17/45 comparison carried over to P30l/P30 since they are essentially the same concept. I don’t have enough P30 time to compare but preferred the L last time I shot them briefly back to back.

Whiskey_Bravo
11-08-2018, 02:08 PM
I shot my 45 and 19X yesterday as part of our annual range quals with off duty guns. It is a VERY basic 25 round course from distances of 2 yards out to 20 yards.

My 19X came from the factory with the rear sight drifted right in the dovetail. I replaced the factory sights with Ameriglo Bolds and matched the rear sight to how the originals came. The gun shot perfect POA/POI with 147 Federal HST and left a fist sized group. Very happy overall with this pistol and it's performance. Also have been using a TLR7 on this gun as an EDC. I was running the 19X with no backstrap and felt the slide graze my hand a couple times during the recoil cycle.

My 45 has been unfired since I bought it. It still has the trash plastic factory sights since I can't decide what to install. The rear sight also came drifted to the right from the factory. The 45 shot POA/POI out to ten yards in a very tight group. Then at 15 yards I had another very tight group...a couple inches to the left of the first. At 20 yards, I had another tight group that was a couple inches to the left of the second. Still passed the qual but left me scratching my head. For reference, the 45 has a medium backstrap with a Grip Force Adapter on top of that. Fills my hands well, no slide bite, and doesn't exaggerate the hump further on the backstrap.

Talked to another LEO friend who had the exact same issue with his 45 at his first range session and a similar target. It sounds like my issue is similar to what GJM mentioned. I was planning to order some Bold for the 45 and just center the rear sight, but now I am thinking more about a Dawson Adjustable rear.

GJM
11-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Just checked, and both my G45 pistols are zeroed POA/POI for me with the rear sight centered in the rear dovetail.

GJM
11-08-2018, 04:24 PM
A thought. I find the Glock trigger harder to press straight back than many other pistols, and the smaller the Glock and heavier the trigger, the harder things get.

However, if I set my full grip tension early AND grip angle (side to side not up and down) it seems to fix the left shooting issue for a right hand shooter.

JHC
11-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Just checked, and both my G45 pistols are zeroed POA/POI for me with the rear sight centered in the rear dovetail.

Same for my G45 with OEM tritium sights. How they came OOTB.

Whiskey_Bravo
11-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Contemplating a Dawson adjustable rear (requires a .285-.300 height front) with a Trijicon HD XR orange front. Or just stop being difficult and get another set of Bolds...

GJM
11-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Contemplating a Dawson adjustable rear (requires a .285-.300 height front) with a Trijicon HD XR orange front. Or just stop being difficult and get another set of Bolds...

I would go Bold for the regular 17/19 (not G5) with the .180 front.

Larry Sellers
11-08-2018, 08:27 PM
This in spades. .180 seems to be perfect for the tip of the blade at 25 paired up with the .276 rear.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Bravo
11-08-2018, 09:09 PM

Good call. I wish Ameriglo still had the Bolds on their eBay store

GJM
11-08-2018, 09:24 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Glock-47284-night-sights-Ameriglo/dp/B07DWC23D1

JHC
11-09-2018, 07:01 AM

Where will you find a Trij HD XR that is .285 tall? I'd live to find them in .245 too. But never have.

MGW
11-09-2018, 07:34 AM
I’m really liking the 43 orange Bolds on my 19x. I was worried that there would be too much light on the rear sight but it’s just about perfect on the 19 length slide.

GJM
11-09-2018, 07:52 AM
I’m really liking the 43 orange Bolds on my 19x. I was worried that there would be too much light on the rear sight but it’s just about perfect on the 19 length slide.

I like the .125 width as well, but just bought some .180 x .125 fronts from Brownells to move my POI to tip of the front sight, as the .190 front from the 42/43 hit just a bit low for me.

Whiskey_Bravo
11-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Where will you find a Trij HD XR that is .285 tall? I'd live to find them in .245 too. But never have.

I misread the dimensions last night. The HD XR front has an overall height right around .285.

GJM
11-09-2018, 09:01 AM
I just put this in the ten round pistol thread. For me the 19/19X/19 MOS/G45 family offers me almost unlimited flexibility.

Grey
11-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Just me or are you missing a slide in that picture... frames with no slides makes me sad.

GJM
11-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Just me or are you missing a slide in that picture... frames with no slides makes me sad.

There is more that is missing, but this was all that would fit into the picture!

Grey
11-09-2018, 09:13 AM
There is more that is missing, but this was all that would fit into the picture!At least your feet didn't make it in [emoji16] #bushleaguephotographers (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=bushleaguephotographers) .

How many G45s do you have? I am still waffling if I should get one or not.

Greg
11-09-2018, 09:24 AM

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has this happen when I pocket carry with Twinkies :cool:

GJM
11-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one that has this happen when I pocket carry with Twinkies :cool:

My grip goo!

littlejerry
11-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Same. I'm still on the prowl for a high viz .245 x .125 front to use with my Warren sights

MGW
11-09-2018, 01:57 PM
I like the .125 width as well, but just bought some .180 x .125 fronts from Brownells to move my POI to tip of the front sight, as the .190 front from the 42/43 hit just a bit low for me.

What ammo?

GJM
11-09-2018, 03:09 PM
What ammo?

Gold Dot 124+P for carry, AE 115 and other 124 grain loads for practice.

RJ
11-24-2018, 04:10 PM
Likely buying another 19.5 next year because: reasons.

Will a 19.5 MOS slide go on a regular 19.5?

GJM
11-24-2018, 04:21 PM

Yes. Gen 5 19, Gen 5 19 MOS, 19X and G45 all mix and match.

HCM
11-24-2018, 04:35 PM

As GJM said, yes, the G19.5, G19X and G45 slides all interchange.

In addition, the G19 Gen 4 slides (including MOS ETC) will work on a Gen 5 frame if you swap the back plate for the Gen 5 back plate.

Brownells is now offering reasonable priced Gen 4 slides, including optics cut versions.

GJM
11-24-2018, 04:44 PM
As GJM said, yes, the G19.5, G19X and G45 slides all interchange.

In addition, the G19 Gen 4 slides (including MOS ETC) will work on a Gen 5 frame if you swap the back plate for the Gen 5 back plate.

Brownells is now offering reasonable priced Gen 4 slides, including optics cut versions.

How about Gen 5 ambi slide stop?

STI
11-24-2018, 06:28 PM

Does that mean the Gen 5 trigger bar upper "fin" that disengages the firing pin block, works properly with both Gen 4 and 5 firing pin blocks?

HCM
11-24-2018, 06:44 PM
How about Gen 5 ambi slide stop?

The old style works in the Gen 5

Super77
11-24-2018, 07:10 PM
Just a data point but I picked up a Gen5 19MOS today and it's the most tightly fitted Glock I've handled including those with aftermarket barrels. I have very high hopes for mechanical accuracy. The barrel-to-slide fit has less movement than my 2 VP9s and is on par with my PPQ. The slide-to-frame fit is better than my VP9s and PPQ (not that it matters a whole lot). There is no perceptible movement of the slide vs frame when dry firing. I can't wait to shoot some 25m bull with this thing and see what it can do.

GJM
11-24-2018, 08:32 PM
Just a data point but I picked up a Gen5 19MOS today and it's the most tightly fitted Glock I've handled including those with aftermarket barrels. I have very high hopes for mechanical accuracy. The barrel-to-slide fit has less movement than my 2 VP9s and is on par with my PPQ. The slide-to-frame fit is better than my VP9s and PPQ (not that it matters a whole lot). There is no perceptible movement of the slide vs frame when dry firing. I can't wait to shoot some 25m bull with this thing and see what it can do.

I find the G5 Glock, VP9 and PPQ to be so accurate that it really comes down to ammo, trigger feel and shooter ability as to which shoots best for you.

RJ
11-24-2018, 08:50 PM
Thanks GJM, HCM.

Reasoning for a MOS G19.5 is as follows.

I am looking ahead a year or two to the possibility of me needing/wanting an optic, plus, I got (finally) convinced of having multiples of work guns. With another G19, I can dedicate a gun to dry practice and carry/keep a EDC gun of exactly the same type.

I am seeing a GSSF price of $489.50 (http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf) for a G19.5 MOS. I figure I can use it as is for a while, and if I decide to try an optic it will be ready to go.

GJM
11-24-2018, 08:55 PM
Thanks GJM, HCM.

Reasoning for a MOS G19.5 is as follows.

I am looking ahead a year or two to the possibility of me needing/wanting an optic, plus, I got (finally) convinced of having multiples of work guns. With another G19, I can dedicate a gun to dry practice and carry/keep a EDC gun of exactly the same type.

I am seeing a GSSF price of $489.50 (http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf) for a G19.5 MOS. I figure I can use it as is for a while, and if I decide to try an optic it will be ready to go.

I have felt enough difference in my two G5 19 MOS pistols, that I would really like to handle the one I was buying to pick a trigger I really like.

JBP55
11-24-2018, 09:07 PM
I have felt enough difference in my two G5 19 MOS pistols, that I would really like to handle the one I was buying to pick a trigger I really like.

Where I buy BL Glocks you tell them what model you want and once approved they bring 1 from the back and that 1 is yours.
No test firing and I have never seen anyone test fire one in that store. I will enhance the trigger if necessary.

RJ
11-24-2018, 09:14 PM
Where I buy BL Glocks you tell them what model you want and once approved they bring 1 from the back and that 1 is yours.
No test firing and I have never seen anyone test fire one in that store. I will enhance the trigger if necessary.

Thanks. This would be a GSSF purchase, I would not presume to get treated like a LEO under BL, for sure.

Here in my little corner of Florida, I was pretty lucky my GSSF dealer actually had a Gen 5 19 for me to even see last year. I was astonished that they had two, in fact. I did press the trigger of both but given my relative inexperience in Glocks I could not discern much difference.

As far as a 19.5 MOS, I would not be optimistic I’d find one available under GSSF pricing and expect it would be ordered specifically for me.

Question: I checked the Glock USA web site and did not see: what sights do they put on the MOS guns? The plastic standard Glock sights?

GJM
11-24-2018, 09:20 PM
Thanks. This would be a GSSF purchase, I would not presume to get treated like a LEO under BL, for sure.

Here in my little corner of Florida, I was pretty lucky my GSSF dealer actually had a Gen 5 19 for me to even see last year. I was astonished that they had two, in fact. I did press the trigger of both but given my relative inexperience in Glocks I could not discern much difference.

As far as a 19.5 MOS, I would not be optimistic I’d find one available under GSSF pricing and expect it would be ordered specifically for me.

Question: I checked the Glock USA web site and did not see: what sights do they put on the MOS guns? The plastic standard Glock sights?

Of my two G5 19 MOS, one has a lovely rolling trigger and the other is crunchy crisp. It is in the upper, not the lower as I have enough pieces to switch things around.

MOS comes with the plastic OEM sights. It can be an issue if you are not running an optic as an HD/BOLD/Heinie style will overhang thenrearnof the slide. Dawson, Ameriglo and 10-8 make MOS rear sights but they are typically plain black or three dot style.

HCM
11-24-2018, 10:36 PM

I don’t think GJM was talking about live test fire. I think he was referring to dry fire which is perfectly reasonable and something I do on every Glock purchase along with checking the slide to frame fit at the rear of the slide.

I have had them pull two or three blue labels till I get one I find acceptable.

Super77
11-24-2018, 10:36 PM
MOS comes with the plastic OEM sights. It can be an issue if you are not running an optic as an HD/BOLD/Heinie style will overhang thenrearnof the slide. Dawson, Ameriglo and 10-8 make MOS rear sights but they are typically plain black or three dot style.

The rear overhang doesn’t seem to cause much of a problem but if you’re adding an optic one might consider just doing tall sights right off the bat. I just picked up the Truglo MOS 3-dot sights which are currently $63 at opticsplanet with a 15% off coupon code. Those aren’t quite Amerglo orange fronts but they do have blacked out rears and a big white front dot which might not be a bad thing with a dot. There is also a nice MOS set that Heinie makes and you could easily just paint the front orange.

HCM
11-24-2018, 10:39 PM
Of my two G5 19 MOS, one has a lovely rolling trigger and the other is crunchy crisp. It is in the upper, not the lower as I have enough pieces to switch things around.

The overhang on the bolds doesn’t hurt anything and Glock offers them from the factory. My 17.5 MOS came that way. It was the only blue label in stock but it has grown on me.

Heinie also makes Co witness MOS sights. They are avail via the heinie and suarez websites.

GJM
11-24-2018, 11:00 PM
I was referring to dry fire of the trigger.

If you carry appendix, a rear sight protruding off the rear of the slide will rip your skin and clothing big time.

HCM
11-24-2018, 11:11 PM
I was referring to dry fire of the trigger.

If you carry appendix, a rear sight protruding off the rear of the slide will rip your skin and clothing big time.

The only thing I AIWB are J frames but good to know.

JBP55
11-25-2018, 01:29 AM
I don’t think GJM was talking about live test fire. I think he was referring to dry fire which is perfectly reasonable and something I do on every Glock purchase along with checking the slide to frame fit at the rear of the slide.

I have had them pull two or three blue labels till I get one I find acceptable.

Bad choice of words, I was also referring to dry firing. You examine the pistol and do not pull the trigger in the store.

HCM
11-25-2018, 02:31 AM
Bad choice of words, I was also referring to dry firing. You examine the pistol and do not pull the trigger in the store.

Dry fire is not harmful to centerfire guns.

If they want my business I am trying the trigger (dry) and field stripping the gun. I have passed on a couple of blue label Glocks with nasty crunchy triggers and other issues.

All Glocks ARE NOT created equal.

Even with rimfires I will want to dry fire the gun though I won’t do so without a snap cap.

It’s not just Glocks. When I bought my Wilson Brig Tac they brought another from the back and I insisted on checking it before buying. Long story short the gun had a serious issue with mag catch. They sent it back and I wound up buying the display.

JHC
11-25-2018, 05:24 AM
Dry fire is not harmful to centerfire guns.

If they want my business I am trying the trigger (dry) and field stripping the gun. I have passed on a couple of blue label Glocks with nasty crunchy triggers and other issues.

All Glocks ARE NOT created equal.

Even with rimfires I will want to dry fire the gun though I won’t do so without a snap cap.

It’s not just Glocks. When I bought my Wilson Brig Tac they brought another from the back and I insisted on checking it before buying. Long story short the gun had a serious issue with mag catch. They sent it back and I wound up buying the display.

Hell yeah! Non-negotiable. I've rarely encountered any objections to that.

Maca
11-25-2018, 07:52 AM
Went to my Glock dealer yesterday and handled a glock45 with what felt like a 12lb trigger. The wall was almost painful to press through. But the slide to frame fit was very, very tight. Passed.

Walked out with a 3rd 19x instead. This one is going straight to ATEi for an RMR.

UNK
11-25-2018, 10:19 AM
How is the CT Laser doing at holding zero?

Mjolnir
11-25-2018, 10:53 AM

No way in Hades I purchase anything without trying the trigger.

Unreasonable demand of any store that has that policy.

JBP55
11-25-2018, 01:56 PM
No way in Hades I purchase anything without trying the trigger.

Unreasonable demand of any store that has that policy.

As you know there are only 2 Blue Label Distributors in Louisiana and I am not going to drive 100 miles to the other BLD.
I can fix any Glock trigger issue I do not like.

JBP55
11-25-2018, 01:58 PM
Went to my Glock dealer yesterday and handled a glock45 with what felt like a 12lb trigger. The wall was almost painful to press through. But the slide to frame fit was very, very tight. Passed.

Walked out with a 3rd 19x instead. This one is going straight to ATEi for an RMR.

I have 3 G19X and 1 G45. I may sell a NIB G19X and get another G45 and have the slide milled.

YVK
11-25-2018, 04:13 PM
I now have over 3000 rounds through my competition 19x with a 4 lbs striker spring. Two different connectors, some version of Ghost and currently a stock dot connector, two different brands of 4 lbs striker springs. Ammo is equally spread between CCI Lawman and different versions of Federal Am Eagle. I've not had a single light strike. With previous generations of Glocks I could not get below 4.5 striker spring without getting episodic light hits. Seems to me than Gen5 gives better ignition. Anybody had the same observations?

JBP55
11-25-2018, 04:22 PM
I now have over 3000 rounds through my competition 19x with a 4 lbs striker spring. Two different connectors, some version of Ghost and currently a stock dot connector, two different brands of 4 lbs striker springs. Ammo is equally spread between CCI Lawman and different versions of Federal Am Eagle. I've not had a single light strike. With previous generations of Glocks I could not get below 4.5 striker spring without getting episodic light hits. Seems to me than Gen5 gives better ignition. Anybody had the same observations?

I have used the 4# FPS which has a trigger pull weight of about 5 OZ. less than a 4.5# spring without issue on Gen 3/4/5 Glocks.
I prefer the trigger reset with the 4.5# spring.

Norville
11-25-2018, 04:31 PM

I concur on the earlier generations- below 4.5 spring required a lighter striker for consistent ignition. The Gen 5 is a different shaped tip, that may have something to do with it. Maybe it’s lighter as well.