PDA

View Full Version : Sig P229- beavertail vs. no beavertail

bofe954
02-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Does the beavertail force a lower grip? Any reason to avoid it? Is necessary?

I am a 1911 guy mostly (sorry...), get some pretty good slide bite on the web of my hand when I shoot glocks (2 red streaks). Pretty good hammer bite out of a Browning High Power. I have spent a little time with a P228 years ago and don't remember any hammer bite, and that was with the traditional grip, not the E2.

WDW
02-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Do not get a beavertail Sig. It is completely unnecessary and only makes the gun harder to conceal. It serves no purpose at all and is purely for looks.

ToddG
03-01-2012, 09:44 AM
The "beavertail" on the upper-end SIGs actually pushes my hand lower on the gun, making the muzzle rise more in recoil.

Also, it blocks access to the hammer, making it more difficult to thumb the hammer for safety while returning the gun to the holster.

Kyle Reese
03-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Do not get a beavertail Sig. It is completely unnecessary and only makes the gun harder to conceal. It serves no purpose at all and is purely for looks.

Concur. Had a P226 Elite 9mm that I sold. Hated the beavertail upon firing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

John Hearne
03-01-2012, 10:19 PM
As an interesting counterpoint, I really like the beavertail on my P220. Specifically, I really like it for open carry in a duty rig. The beaver tail serves as an awesome handstop, allowing me to really drive aggressively on to the gun. I don't think it makes my shot to shot times quicker but it sure make for a great open carry draw stroke.

For concealed carry, I actually had to have my gunsmith break the edge of the beavertail as I cut my hand on it when rapidly clearing my cover garment. I don't think that it hinders concealed carry but it doesn't offer any serious advantages either.