PDA

View Full Version : Best DA/SA Decocker design

Bucky
10-07-2018, 09:59 AM
Over the years, it seems a lot of pistol controls have been becoming more standardized. Most safeties follow the 1911 style, mag releases are becoming more and more the button variety. DA/SA decockers seem to be all over the place. With the likelihood of new DA/SA designs coming out not being likely, that will not change.

My favorite DA/SA gun is the Beretta, like many here. However, the decocker isn’t one of the best designs. Not only can it be awkward, particularly to those with short fingers, there’s a lot of parts going on.

So this poll is to determine which design do you think is the best in terms of both usability and from an engineering standpoint. I’ll state my opinion up front, I’m quite fond of the P2000/P30 design. Minimal use of parts, and pretty decent location. Also, mostly ambidextrous, without the need for an additional lever. Admittedly for an in combat scenario, the Sig lever does allow you to decock without changing your grip, so that is a close second.
what say you?

Cypher
10-07-2018, 10:13 AM
There's no option for Third Generation S&W. I had a CZ75B for about ten years and never had a problem lowering the hammer manually. So of the available options that's my pick

JonInWA
10-07-2018, 10:15 AM
I actually find the Ruger P89's manual safety/decocker, in it's later incarnation, with the extended shelf, to be quite user friendly.

Best, Jon

spinmove_
10-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Personally I’m torn between Beretta and CZ’s solutions. The placement on either a 92/PX4 works about as well for me as a P-09/P-07/SP-01 does.

Maybe I need more time on either, but they both work ok for me.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

LSP552
10-07-2018, 10:35 AM
For a right handed shooter, it’s hard to beat the SIG system. The decocker is perfectly positions for using the support hand thumb while maintaining a good grip. It’s still workable for a wrong handed shooter using the the strong index finger or rolling the pistol inward and using the right thumb to push down.

At the end of the day, they are all workable. I really like my Berettas but all you need to do is dissemble one once then do the same with the SIG. The ease of use and the simple design of the SIG system is much easier to maintain, IMO.

Bucky
10-07-2018, 10:42 AM
There's no option for Third Generation S&W. I had a CZ75B for about ten years and never had a problem lowering the hammer manually. So of the available options that's my pick

What’s the difference in the design between the third gen and first gen, which was included in the poll?

Duelist
10-07-2018, 10:43 AM
The Beretta and 3rd Gen Smith work very well, very ergonomically for me. And they make sense to me from an engineering standpoint: I can see exactly how safe it actually is to decock with the lever. It is completely safe.

I had a funny experience at a gun store once upon a time. I was looking at a 4006 in very good condition that had a great trigger. I didn’t buy it because I don’t need a .40, but I almost bought it anyway because it was so nice, and cheap.

Anyway, the guy behind the counter I’ve known for years. He’s worked a couple of gun stores here. He remarked as I worked the decocker that he couldn’t get to where he thought that was safe, even thought people say it is. I took it apart and showed him the firing pin block plunger and how it works, then how the decocker rolls the back section of the firing pin out of alignment with the front and puts a solid bar of steel in the way for the hammer to fall on. Pulling the trigger and manually lowering the hammer, which is what he’d been doing, circumvents all the engineering advances and safety systems put into those pistols.

Beretta and 3rd gens for me.

backtrail540
10-07-2018, 10:43 AM
My favorite was the p series CZ decocker. It was in a natural place for me to decock without thinking about it and without much extra movement involved, while also being low profile enough to prevent unwanted activation. I'm currently shooting beretta's (who isn't?) for my DA/SA shooting and don't have a problem with them at all. But the p07/p09 stands out as my personal favorite.

Bucky
10-07-2018, 10:45 AM
At the end of the day, they are all workable. I really like my Berettas but all you need to do is dissemble one once then do the same with the SIG.

Agree, especially a real G model, assembly can be intense.

Duelist
10-07-2018, 10:47 AM
What’s the difference in the design between the third gen and first gen, which was included in the poll?

I assumed that “etc” meant all the rest of the Smiths. :)

IIRC, there was a significant engineering change from 1st to 2nd in the firing pin plunger. I don’t have one to compare to, but that’s what I remember understanding about the generational changes.

GJM
10-07-2018, 10:49 AM
I almost don’t care, short of it being ergonomically ridiculous, as it is so far down my list of important attributes.

Bucky
10-07-2018, 10:51 AM
The Beretta and 3rd Gen Smith work very well, very ergonomically for me. And they make sense to me from an engineering standpoint: I can see exactly how safe it actually is to decock with the lever. It is completely safe.

I had a funny experience at a gun store once upon a time. I was looking at a 4006 in very good condition that had a great trigger. I didn’t buy it because I don’t need a .40, but I almost bought it anyway because it was so nice, and cheap.

Anyway, the guy behind the counter I’ve known for years. He’s worked a couple of gun stores here. He remarked as I worked the decocker that he couldn’t get to where he thought that was safe, even thought people say it is. I took it apart and showed him the firing pin block plunger and how it works, then how the decocker rolls the back section of the firing pin out of alignment with the front and puts a solid bar of steel in the way for the hammer to fall on. Pulling the trigger and manually lowering the hammer, which is what he’d been doing, circumvents all the engineering advances and safety systems put into those pistols.

Beretta and 3rd gens for me.

Good point about the extra safety built into the slide mounted design. Didn’t consider that. Also made me think, I like the way the Sig doesn’t snap the hammer forward at full force like the others.

Clobbersaurus
10-07-2018, 11:24 AM
I think the Beretta 92 design is the most user friendly, from a simply being able to activate the decocker standpoint. But it’s always bugged me when doing slide manipulations and I am slower on the clock with the 92 than I am with my Glock. For that reason I voted HK P2000 etc, just because the decoding lever is off the flats of the slide. I also really like the Sig 22whatever series decocker.

All that being said, the slim levers of the PX4 strike a very close balance between ease of use and slide manipulation issues I mentioned with the 92 series.....but it wasn’t in the poll...

Bucky
10-07-2018, 11:32 AM
All that being said, the slim levers of the PX4 strike a very close balance between ease of use and slide manipulation issues I mentioned with the 92 series.....but it wasn’t in the poll...

I would put the PX4 in with 92, etc.

HammerStriker
10-07-2018, 11:42 AM
There are CZs withe de-cocking levers, like the CZ P01 and the SP01 Tactical. I quite like the location of the P01's de-cocker, easy to activate and conducive of a high thumbs forward grip.

Torsius
10-07-2018, 11:58 AM
I have never had a problem with CZ, SIG, or Beretta from an ergonomic standpoint, but I appreciate the engineering of the Beretta. Something about the CZ dropping the hammer to the half cock position just bugged me.

I was worried about slide manipulations with the Beretta, but it isn’t a problem-at least with the 92. Stock px4 levers tear my hand up.

El Cid
10-07-2018, 12:17 PM
All you folks saying the slide mounted types are ergonomic... do you have alien length fingers and thumbs? Keep in mind the decocker needs to be usable with one hand to be viable on a combat/LE/defensive handgun. Your support hand could be injured or otherwise occupied. I have long digits and would be hard pressed to decock my Beretta with my shooting hand.

For best use the Sig style is the top of the heap IMO. But I voted for the USP style since it lets me carry the gun cocked and locked.

YVK
10-07-2018, 12:27 PM
To me it is a no-brainer answer, the P30. Hard to imaging a design that's completely out of the way of all possible manipulations, any possible finger placement, as if it is not even on a gun, yet so easily accessible. Slide mounted 92/PX4 is second but they do get in the way for those who prefer overhand manipulations, and benefit from slim options/modification for a concealed carry.

Canyonrat
10-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Had to vote HK USP based on ergonomics and ease of conversion between safety and decock-only. I have no problem with the Beretta 92 design either on an actual 92, but if I lump the Px4 into that category it brings it down a notch with the lack of usable levers.

Cory
10-07-2018, 12:33 PM
I like the Beretta best. It gets the decocker out of the way for my shooting grip, so that I can't inadvertently push on it. That's a big deal to me. It's ambidextrous which I normally don't need, but I think it's a plus. When I had a P220 I didn't care for the decocker design. I had to move my support hand grip to get to the decock and always felt like it was a little out of place. It works well for some folks, but didn't really groove well for me.

If I need to decock 1 handed I do have to rotate the pistol very slightly, giving up the "super doper full master firing vice crush mega ultra grip" or whatever we call it these days. However, I'd say its less than the amount most folks give up their grip during a magazine change. If I need to decock while 1 handed I likely no longer need to be in a rush, as the shooting has already happened. Although that could of course be variable.

The fact the Beretta decocker happens to be attached to a pistol that fits me well certainly influences my choice.

-Cory

Sauer Koch
10-07-2018, 12:50 PM
Having shot Sigs a lot over the last 2.5 yrs, and having shot a Wilson/Beretta 92, and owning a CZ SP-01 Tactical, and holding an HK P30, I’d rate them as such:

1) Sig
2) CZ
3) HK
4) Beretta

...the slide mounted design just seems to be in the way of manipulating the slide. By far, the Sig design is king here, IMHO. (Granted...hand size will greatly influence your choice)

Cypher
10-07-2018, 02:14 PM

My bad. I hadn't had coffee yet when I posted that

Clusterfrack
10-07-2018, 02:28 PM
Anything that's on the slide is a no-go for me. I have spent enough time with 2nd and 3rd Gen S&W's to develop a strong dislike for that.

The slim decockers on the P-07 work well for me.

On a competition gun, lowering it by hand is the way to go. No need to introduce complexity (and a compromised trigger pull) in a match gun.

HCountyGuy
10-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Voted for Sig.

For me it’s just super intuitive and easy to get to.

revchuck38
10-07-2018, 02:59 PM
I voted for the SIG style since, considered by itself, the decocker is the easiest of the choices to use, at least for a right-handed shooter. That said, I don't feel it's the best system considered as a whole. My main complaint is the location of the slide release - no other pistol I'm aware of has that issue.

My preference is the Beretta PX4 G. I usually decock it by sliding my non-firing thumb back to the lever; this works with my P99C as well. I can decock the PX4 with the thumb of my firing hand just about as well. That is partially due to being the only guy on this forum who prefers the stocks levers. ;) Of course, my PX4 D is even easier to decock. :D

Screwball
10-07-2018, 03:27 PM
The one decocker I actually want to try is the SIG style one on the S&W 3rd Generation line (xx2x and xx7x). I think they are likely similar to the SIG... but never had one in my hands.

I picked the SIG one... as I do think it is the better design. In the right position for a right handed shooter.

That being said, I prefer the Beretta and the slide mounted style. I have big enough hands to make it work well, and if I shoot lefty (I am right handed, but prefer to practice weak hand from time to time), can make it work, too.

My PX4s were both G, or converted G. I had a 96G Centurion slide as a .40 conversion, but converted the 92 Brigadier Inox over with the Beretta kit. CZ is the original design, so cocked/locked.

Only other DA/SA pistol I own is a S&W 1006... which bothered me on it being an “F” style safety. Rather have a similar setup across the board. A member on S&W Forum works on 3rd Generation pistols, and I just picked up a 45 series spring loaded decocker to send to him along with my slide. He is milling out a cut for it, similar to the TSW line. I’m actually very excited to get it back.

Duelist
10-07-2018, 03:33 PM
All you folks saying the slide mounted types are ergonomic... do you have alien length fingers and thumbs? Keep in mind the decocker needs to be usable with one hand to be viable on a combat/LE/defensive handgun. Your support hand could be injured or otherwise occupied. I have long digits and would be hard pressed to decock my Beretta with my shooting hand.

For best use the Sig style is the top of the heap IMO. But I voted for the USP style since it lets me carry the gun cocked and locked.

I have had no difficulty with this. Watching a few Langdon videos gave me some tips that have, when employed, have made using my Beretta even easier.

My thumbs and fingers are long, though. I had a female NCO in my unit whose digits were so short she could not decock smoothly, and more significantly, could not fire the pistol in DA. At all. She drew her pistol and thumb cocked it as she brought it up. Her personal pistol was something else that she could use more efficiently, but when we did quails and deployed, she carried her issued M9.

So I understand that some have difficulty with it.

JSGlock34
10-07-2018, 04:53 PM
I find 'G' configuration Berettas much easier to dynamically manipulate than the 'F' configuration hammer drop safety. The spring loaded nature of the 'G' lever is a significant improvement, and also eliminates the possibility of an inadvertently applied safety.

Doc_Glock
10-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Between Sig, Beretta, HK USP and HK P2000/P30, the clear design winner is the later model HK.

-ambidextrous
-unobtrusive
-reliable

Doc_Glock
10-07-2018, 06:17 PM
This was a good video. I was unaware of the Sig decocker causing failures to fire with some grips.

https://youtu.be/LA8btM5RFp4

OlongJohnson
10-07-2018, 07:55 PM
For a right handed shooter, it’s hard to beat the SIG system. The decocker is perfectly positions for using the support hand thumb while maintaining a good grip. It’s still workable for a wrong handed shooter using the the strong index finger or rolling the pistol inward and using the right thumb to push down.

At the end of the day, they are all workable. I really like my Berettas but all you need to do is dissemble one once then do the same with the SIG. The ease of use and the simple design of the SIG system is much easier to maintain, IMO.

Voted for Sig.

For me it’s just super intuitive and easy to get to.

Also made me think, I like the way the Sig doesn’t snap the hammer forward at full force like the others.

For all these reasons, I voted Sig. I especially like how the hammer gently rides the decocker as it moves back upward under the thumb. The only downside is, as someone else mentioned, the slide stop is not in the "universal" position. To me, if one is going to carry a classic Sig, it's worth considering committing to them 100 percent so muscle memory can be counted on.

This was a good video. I was unaware of the Sig decocker causing failures to fire with some grips.

I've never heard of that criticism, either. I'll point out that it doesn't appear in the video that Ernest is in any danger of actually experiencing that with his grip. Far more common to have a failure to lock back due to thumbing the slide stop while firing. For a righty, getting your strong hand thumb outside the support hand thumb, or just flagged up/outward, will solve that.

I kinda feel like Ernest's criticisms fail to contemplate the totality of the Sig design. The not-quite-down position the hammer decocks to is its actual rest position. There is a little return spring that holds it back in that position, so it's away from the firing pin. It won't go forward of that position without the inertia of a mainspring-driven drop. Further, there's a block that prevents it moving forward past that position unless the trigger is pressed. Since this is simply the rest position, it's always going to be the starting point of a DA press. I don't understand what it has to do with the SA notch.

I'd also be curious to hear whether anyone has an anecdote of something actually getting into the gap between the slide/firing pin and hammer and preventing a Sig from going bang. It's certainly massively less likely to happen than with an SA carried in Condition One, and you simply don't hear that criticism of 1911s.

Had to vote HK USP based on ergonomics and ease of conversion between safety and decock-only.

I can deal with the USP decocker location more easily than a slide-mounted position. I can get to it with my thumb while maintaining the rest of my grip. Importantly, the pivot point of the USP decocker is pretty close to the second knuckle on my thumb, so the rotation of my thumb forward of that knuckle is naturally coordinated with the rotation of the decocker. The Beretta requires more of a reach that distorts my grip further, and the down-and-back rotation has to be activated with a fairly unnatural bending of the outermost segment of my thumb, rather than the more fluid "grasping" motion where the bending occurs at the second joint.

Of course, with the USP, you can also go LEM and avoid the decocker discussion altogether! I also really like third-gen S&Ws and Berettas in DAO.

Duelist
10-07-2018, 09:48 PM

(Snip)

I don’t know what alien length digits would be, but I can’t really palm a basketball. Everything on the Beretta is in easy reach.

I pull down on the lever like this:

I don’t push it back up: I push forward. The spring-load in the mechanism pops it all the way up automatically.

StraitR
10-07-2018, 09:54 PM

Steven T
10-07-2018, 09:55 PM
I have had issues with the Sig decocker. My grip pushes against the decocker and can cause a problem, shifting my grip takes care of the issue but its a pain. I also don't really like the levers position I find it uncomfortable. I assume hand size plays a major role in this. I don't have an issue with any of the other designs, however Beretta is the only DA/SA I regularly shoot.

Duelist
10-07-2018, 10:22 PM

LOL. Fingerstyle guitar. I like the sound I get with nails. Sidheshooter

StraitR
10-07-2018, 10:26 PM
LOL. Fingerstyle guitar. I like the sound I get with nails. @Sidheshooter (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=8451)

Sorry, I couldn't resist the opportunity to inject some Ron Swanson. :)

HCountyGuy
10-08-2018, 06:13 AM

I don’t know what alien length digits would be, but I can’t really palm a basketball. Everything on the Beretta is in easy reach.

I pull down on the lever like this:

I don’t push it back up: I push forward. The spring-load in the mechanism pops it all the way up automatically.

I’ve tried that technique to deactivate the safety on a Beretta, just can’t seem to do it.

In regards to palming the decocker on a Sig, I can recall this becoming a concern of mine once or twice. During a dry-fire session I felt my support hand pressing on the decicker some. Fixed my grip and kept track of it more.

farscott
10-08-2018, 06:52 AM
I assumed that “etc” meant all the rest of the Smiths. :)

IIRC, there was a significant engineering change from 1st to 2nd in the firing pin plunger. I don’t have one to compare to, but that’s what I remember understanding about the generational changes.

The first generation S&W (39, 59) autoloaders did not have a firing pin safety. It is possible to have the gun fire when dropped if the hammer is decocked and the safety is OFF. The safety on the first generation guns does lock the firing pin and are the guns are drop safe with the safety engaged. The 2nd generation guns added the firing pin safety and are drop safe with the safety in the ON or OFF position. The firing pin safety uses a plunger that locks the firing pin in position until the trigger reaches almost the end of rearward travel. This design was carried forward to the third generation pistols.

Both the Beretta and S&W decocking systems are very nice because the hammer cannot strike the firing pin when the hammer falls. I find the S&W system a bit more elegant due to needing fewer parts, especially on the later third generation guns when the mature design is paired with CNC-machined parts. The Beretta design, though, is still in production, so it has to "better".

LSP552
10-08-2018, 07:50 AM
It is physically impossible for a SIG to fire while decocking. The trigger has to be pulled to allow firing pin to bust a cap.

Lost River
10-08-2018, 08:09 AM
https://i.imgur.com/kjqpnCM.jpg

I really like the decocker on this 4506.

Knowing what I know now, if I were to go back in time, I would likely carry one of of these as a duty gun.

Bigghoss
10-08-2018, 12:22 PM
https://i.imgur.com/kjqpnCM.jpg

I really like the decocker on this 4506.

Knowing what I know now, if I were to go back in time, I would likely carry one of of these as a duty gun.

You have a decock-only 4506? It's like every time you post a picture it just makes me more jealous.

My first handgun was a Ruger P95dc. About a year and a half later I got a job carrying a Beretta 92fs so I've developed an affinity for DA/SA, specifically decock-only with a lever on the slide. I have 3 ruger DC's, one smith decock-only and one Smith with a manual lever, 8 DA/SA Beretta 92's (most with G conversions) 5 PX4's that have or will be made into G's and a couple Sigs thrown in for good measure. I'm very confident using the Beretta 90-series either in G or F configuration.

JAH 3rd
10-08-2018, 12:36 PM
I like the decocker on my HK P2000. It's on the rear of the slide, to the left of the hammer. I like a frame mounted decocker like on my HK USP 45. I can also carry the USP cocked and locked if I want to. I have several pistols that have a slide mounted safety like a S&W 5906, Ruger P 90, and Beretta 92. I just don't like those safeties on the sides of the slide. I prefer a safety-free slide at the rear cocking serrations. Just my preference.

As far as ND go, I think the LEM or DAO is the way to go. Some people love the LEM, others don't. I haven't tried a LEM so I can't say if I would like it or not. But whatever pistol one decides to carry, proficiency comes with practice and being very familiar with the manual of arms for that firearm.

Screwball
10-08-2018, 12:54 PM
You have a decock-only 4506? It's like every time you post a picture it just makes me more jealous.

Looks it, from the stamp on the slide.

If you grab a decocker assembly (safety with a spring installed to flick it back up), it is only about $75 to have someone mill the slide for it to work. MidwayUSA has them, I picked up the last .45 version for my 10mm... but they got them back in stock quickly.

Bigghoss
10-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Looks it, from the stamp on the slide.

If you grab a decocker assembly (safety with a spring installed to flick it back up), it is only about $75 to have someone mill the slide for it to work. MidwayUSA has them, I picked up the last .45 version for my 10mm... but they got them back in stock quickly.

Yes, I can see the stamp, it was a rhetorical question. Thanks for the info on the decockers though. I saw a 4566 TSW on armslist but I wasn't sure if it was a decock only or not. My understanding is TSW's are milled for decockers whether they're so equipped or not.

Screwball
10-08-2018, 01:10 PM
I saw a 4566 TSW on armslist but I wasn't sure if it was a decock only or not. My understanding is TSW's are milled for decockers whether they're so equipped or not.

That is correct... milled so you can convert if you get the correct assembly.

Other 3rd Generation, need to mill a slot, and drill a hole. Can go back and forth after that, and I believe it isn’t visible in either setup.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/529787/smith-and-wesson-spring-loaded-decock-assembly-s-and-w-4506

If you look at the reviews, there is a shot of the modification on a slide. The guy that wrote it is the gunsmith that specializes in 3rd Generation guns, and is doing work off S&W Forum. He will have my slide tomorrow for the conversion.

Doc_Glock
10-08-2018, 06:57 PM
One other advantage I have noted of the later HK design is that your thumb can feel the hammer position simultaneous with dropping it.

1986s4
10-08-2018, 07:22 PM
I would have voted Beretta 92 but the Mods are the best option pulled me in..

Another advantage of the Beretta system is it rotates the FP away from the hammer which allows the hammer to fall all the way thus blocking crude from getting in.

scjbash
10-08-2018, 08:13 PM

I didn't use to have problems shooting Sigs when my grip was lower on the gun than it is now, but I shot one a couple weeks ago and it wouldn't run at all without modifying my grip. Ever single trigger press was a failure to fire.

That Guy
10-13-2018, 04:39 PM
I did not want to choose one of the options, because while I can say what works best for me out of the guns I have, I don't have all the guns. Good thing there was that last option. :)

Right now I find the Beretta style slide mounted decocker the best option. When decocking one-handed I do need to shift my grip, but it is easily learned. My Walther P99 requires me to take my grip apart more in order to reach the decocking button when using just my left hand, so I don't like that as much.

The Sigs I've shot and handled have all worked absolutely wonderfully left-handed. For me it is extremely intuitive to swipe down on the decocking lever with my trigger finger. This enables me to keep my shooting grip intact. It is possible if I owned a Sig and had some thousands of rounds through it, I'd call that the best decocker design out there. Although right hand only decocking would be somewhat more difficult.

Never could come to like the ergonomics of any CZ I've tried. The grips in those are very nice, but seems like they always design safety and decocker levers to be annoyingly difficult to reach.

mag releases are becoming more and more the button variety.

Which is wrong, as the paddle magazine release is superior.

I’m quite fond of the P2000/P30 design. Minimal use of parts, and pretty decent location. Also, mostly ambidextrous

I never got to actually shoot one, but handling a P30 in a gun store I found the decocker location to suck balls for me. So I would have to say it was nowhere near ambidextrous for me. Reaching it with my left thumb would have required me to break my grip very significantly. I was in fact quite disappointed they chose to put that lever there, as the gun was so left-hand friendly otherwise. If they only had put a second lever on the other side of the hammer, the P30 would have been awesomely ambidextrous.

(The LEM version of course fixes that problem. I've never even seen or handled one though, so I couldn't say what they would otherwise be like.)

I almost don’t care, short of it being ergonomically ridiculous, as it is so far down my list of important attributes.

I'm one of those dorks who decock whenever moving away from my shooting stance, so an easy to activate decocker is a bit important to me.

I have small hands and I still find the decocker lever on my PX4 to be fairly easy to use one-handed. Granted, it does require me to break my grip somewhat, but it is an easy to do and learn motion.

It's certainly massively less likely to happen than with an SA carried in Condition One, and you simply don't hear that criticism of 1911s.

That's because very few people these days actually carry 1911's in the sort of conditions where dirt or debris might come anywhere near the gun.

Trukinjp13
10-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Cz
Hk
Sig
Beretta

olstyn
10-13-2018, 10:41 PM
My Walther P99 requires me to take my grip apart more in order to reach the decocking button when using just my left hand, so I don't like that as much.

The fact that it's on the left side of the slide only is a knock against it ergonomically, yeah. That said, I find that I can *just* get it with my strong hand thumb (right handed), and I like the fact that it can be used as a pseudo-gadget, at least by right-handed shooters.

Agreed, but we're in the minority, at least in the USA.

SW CQB 45
10-13-2018, 11:06 PM
I got very used to SW PC spring loaded decockers. It was my duty weapon from 1998 - 2008.

I had a SW CQB 4563, CQB 4566 and my fav back then was DPA 5906.

https://i.imgur.com/6zKGZ7Y.jpg

Bucky
10-14-2018, 04:29 PM

Right or wrong, the button magazine release is the future, the “paddle guys” (Walther, HK), are now offering buttons, not the other way around.

Betamax was a far superior video format to VHS, yet it didn’t matter in the end.

On the other hand, Blu-ray was better than HD-DVD and rightfully won out.

olstyn
10-14-2018, 04:38 PM
On the other hand, Blu-ray was better than HD-DVD and rightfully won out.

Offering greater data capacity with no apparent down side made it easy to see that Blu-ray was better for anyone who bothered to look at the specs - there was no subjectivity to it.

Given that button vs paddle involves ergonomic differences, it becomes more subjective. I'm not sure "button is the future" is really the right way to say it so much as "paddles are rare, therefore they confuse many shooters." The number of times I've had to instruct the RO at the chrono station at the section match on how to remove the mag from my P99 after s/he got done shooting it beats the number of times they knew how without asking at something like a 4:1 ratio.

Bucky
10-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Offering greater data capacity with no apparent down side made it easy to see that Blu-ray was better for anyone who bothered to look at the specs - there was no subjectivity to it.

Specs be damned, HD-DVD didn’t work for crap. One spec of dust and it didn’t work. I still have one of my HD-DVD player, and 25+ disks.

But back on track, as the thread in neither about media devices or magazine releases.

LockedBreech
10-14-2018, 10:03 PM

I've been in the Xbox ecosystem for 12 years and there was a very brief window where I tried to convince myself when Playstation was Blu-Ray and Xbox was HD-DVD, but Blu-Ray was just PROFOUNDLY better objectively. I just hunkered down and waited for Blu-Ray to win, which mercifully didn't take long.

BigT
10-16-2018, 02:32 PM
The Classic sig decocker failure to fire thing is a reality for me. I can make it happen on demand.

Bucky
10-16-2018, 04:05 PM
The Classic sig decocker failure to fire thing is a reality for me. I can make it happen on demand.

I had not heard of this, but my time with Sigs was quite brief.