PDA

View Full Version : Brazil - ATM robbery.

Shellback
02-29-2012, 04:52 PM
A man is robbed at an ATM in Brazil. Just some quick thoughts and observations. Feel free to discuss.

- I've been to Brazil on numerous occasions and this is a typical ATM set up, actually alot of places south of the U.S. border. You must access the ATM room by swiping or inserting your ATM card.

- Bad guy puts his gun in his pocket, is off balance, and is completely distracted withdrawing the money from the ATM. Be prepared to act immediately or acquiesce in a situation like this. If you lose your window of opportunity accept it and move on, don't force the issue, the outcome sucks.

- If the robber puts his gun in his pocket and takes your cash run the other way if you're not willing to commit to sudden, severe and overwhelming violence. The amount of money you just withdrew is not worth your life in most cases.

- If you advance on him and he warns you, take it seriously, and then take the appropriate action right frickin' now! Fight or flight, make your choice, commit to it and don't go in half-assed.

- If you decide that your money is worth fighting for than mash the fu*%er while his gun is in his pocket and don't give him the opportunity to draw and shoot you point blank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5mTPpAmy0Ys

JodyH
02-29-2012, 05:00 PM
There's a video of a off-duty cop being robbed in a similar way who draws his own gun and shoots the robber.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBGvslvaqoY

btw: looks like he's carrying AIWB. Notice how he does not telegraph the draw like he would if he was carrying at 3-4 o'clock.

Shellback
02-29-2012, 05:07 PM
There's a video of a off-duty cop being robbed in a similar way who draws his own gun and shoots the robber.

A good example of utilizing AIWB.

btw: looks like he's carrying AIWB. Notice how he does not telegraph the draw like he would if he was carrying at 3-4 o'clock.
ETA - My thoughts exactly.

TheRoland
02-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Notice how he does not telegraph the draw like he would if he was carrying at 3-4 o'clock.

Do you mean because it's shielded by his body?

I realize it's running at 1/3 or 1/2 speed, but he's pretty clearly fumbling at his waistline for a while there, and had black-hat been paying any attention, he might have seen it. He's not waving his arms around, but it's not subtle.

JodyH
02-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Do you mean because it's shielded by his body?

I realize it's running at 1/3 or 1/2 speed, but he's pretty clearly fumbling at his waistline for a while there, and had black-hat been paying any attention, he might have seen it. He's not waving his arms around, but it's not subtle.
He's a off-duty Italian Police officer, I don't imagine he gets a whole lot of concealed pistol training or practice and there's no telling what kind of holster he's using.
As to subtlety, his hand movements are very similar to the same movements he was making while utilizing the ATM. A reach back to 3-4 o'clock would be much harder to get away with.
He also chose to make his move only after the bad guy was distracted by the motorcycle helmet wearing guy.

JodyH
02-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Is it just me or is it very hard to tell from that video why the guy in the blue shirt shot the guy in the black hat? Is there a back story somewhere that makes clear he was being robbed?
In the first 7 seconds the guy in the hat shows him a pistol in his waistband and tells him to run the ATM card until it's maxed out.
He then pretends he's just another customer, all the while keeping his hand on or near the gun in his waistband as he watches the guy withdraw cash.

Serpico1985
03-01-2012, 12:01 PM
In the first 7 seconds the guy in the hat shows him a pistol in his waistband and tells him to run the ATM card until it's maxed out.
He then pretends he's just another customer, all the while keeping his hand on or near the gun in his waistband as he watches the guy withdraw cash.

That makes more sense, after watching it a few times I couldnt figure out when the threat presented itself