PDA

View Full Version : Is the CZ P01 a true DA/SA (TDA) pistol?

HammerStriker
10-06-2018, 03:22 PM
When engaging the de-cocker on a CZ P01, the hammer drops to the "half-cocked" position. Is this the way that most DA/SA pistols operate? Does the hammer on other DA/SA guns drop all the way down, rather than to a half-cocked position (when using a de-cocking lever)?

I got into to DA/SA pistols, because I want the long, heavy initial trigger press for safety reasons. Does the CZ P01 negate some of the potential benefit of the initial DA pull, since the hammer starts from the half-cocked position?

Would appreciate any feedback

Thank you,

Tom

miller_man
10-06-2018, 03:42 PM
YES, half cock with decocker is a true DA/SA.

HammerStriker
10-06-2018, 03:45 PM
YES, half cock with decocker is a true DA/SA.

Is the DA pull shorter and lighter than other TDAs, since the P01 starts from half-cocked? I don't own any other TDAs so I have nothing to compare to. Thanks.

miller_man
10-06-2018, 03:52 PM
No, the CZ P-01 is pretty standard-ish, or right in the normal range I think for a TDA pistol.

Trying to find the page or thread, but I thought there was a sticky page on this forum dedicated to the different types of semi-auto pistols.

GuanoLoco
10-06-2018, 03:56 PM
Is the DA pull shorter and lighter than other TDAs, since the P01 starts from half-cocked? I don't own any other TDAs so I have nothing to compare to. Thanks.

Not that have noticed with the P-07 in recent testing, and I specifically tested it.

I have a P-01 Omega and a P-07 Omega so I can take it for a spin.

miller_man
10-06-2018, 04:01 PM
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4212-General-Thoughts-on-DA-SA-Pistols

Good reading. :cool:

ralph
10-06-2018, 04:26 PM
Not that have noticed with the P-07 in recent testing, and I specifically tested it.

I have a P-01 Omega and a P-07 Omega so I can take it for a spin.

Guano Loco,
A bit off topic, but any further problems with the P07?

GuanoLoco
10-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Guano Loco,
A bit off topic, but any further problems with the P07?

I need to post an update to that thread. Short version: Just back from the range running about 300 rounds with the 15# hammer spring, roughly 7#/3# and running like a BOSS (close to 1000 rounds) since I added a little overtravel room.

willie
10-06-2018, 05:08 PM
Having a P-01 and a PCR, both decockers, I can report that they share same traits as other da/sa pistols.When decocked, the hammer does fall forward and is stopped by a robust notch on the sear. This notch positions the hammer about half way down in its arc. From this position, the da pull requires slightly less effort. I think that the somewhat odd halfway down position is determined by hammer and sear geometry and was not intentionally designed to rest the hammer at this particular place in the hammer arc. It is totally safe.

MattyD380
10-08-2018, 01:19 AM
I had a CZ RAMI BD (with the decocker). It also dropped the hammer to a half cock position, like the P-01. I have all DA/SA pistols... and I never found the half-cocked-ness of the CZ to be different, in terms of feel/use, than other DA/SA setups; the pull was very deliberate, and felt very safe. Like you, safety is a big concern for me, and that's like I like DA/SA pistols. I guess CZ designs it so that "half cock" still feels like a full-fledged trigger stroke.

How's the P-01? It's been on my radar from time to time...