PDA

View Full Version : CHP Chase on NAS Lemoore

JDM
10-05-2018, 09:41 PM
https://youtu.be/RgC2BWWqdOc

This is one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen.

It is a 20 minute video, which is long, but worth it. It's got amazing thermal footage.

Long story short, guy in a jeep gets on the flight line at NAS Lemoore (!) while evading the CHP and crashes into a goddamn Super Hornet.

I was going to put this in GD, but I am really interested in hearing from LE about this event. I'm absolutely amazed this guy was not stopped before he DROVE INTO A FIGHTER JET. (Of course I mean this in earnest. I know nothing about military base security or law enforcement or anything of the sort and wouldn't pretend. This is just an amazing thing to me and want to talk about it.)

texasaggie2005
10-06-2018, 08:20 AM
Surprised that video made it into the public sphere.

Also, the collision instantly killed the truck's passenger and mortally injured the driver.

41magfan
10-06-2018, 08:28 AM
It's pretty obvious that Gomer and Goober are still in charge in many places around the country.

SD
10-06-2018, 10:02 AM
After watching the video i can only hope the Officer in charge of base security has been relieved of all responsibilities. In this Post-911 world we live in what a complete embarrassment!!!

LittleLebowski
10-06-2018, 10:47 AM
I remember when a guy went crazy on I-5, the section that goes through Camp Pendleton, and called a tow truck driver in order to to shoot him. A Marine driving past saw the wounded tow truck driver, stopped, and helped him to safety. Then the Marine MPs showed up and killed that crazy shooter, got the job done.

txdpd
10-06-2018, 11:38 AM
In terms of how most chases are handled these days, letting the suspect dictate the outcome of the chase and using no more force than officer presence, that was handled appropriately. If there's an appropraite place to let someone evade until they wreck out, that's about as close as it's going to get.

It's amazing how people will expect some type of violent LE intervention to protect grounded airplanes, but won't give a second thought to criminals on a public road, crashing into an occupied car and killing innocent people.

ranger
10-06-2018, 12:29 PM
We have funding for planes, pilots, fuel, etc but insufficient funds for physical security and security forces

SD
10-06-2018, 03:28 PM
I guess it is a good thing it wasn't Tim McVeigh driving that jeep. Wonder if this video is being viewed in a cave in Afghanistan? Anyone here can tell me approximately how much one of them jet planes cost?

TGS
10-06-2018, 06:09 PM
I guess it is a good thing it wasn't Tim McVeigh driving that jeep. Wonder if this video is being viewed in a cave in Afghanistan? Anyone here can tell me approximately how much one of them jet planes cost?

Back in the 80s when we first started buying the Hornet, I think they were 40-50 million per jet. Today I think the Super Bug is running more around 70-80 million per jet.

john c
10-06-2018, 07:06 PM
In terms of how most chases are handled these days, letting the suspect dictate the outcome of the chase and using no more force than officer presence, that was handled appropriately. If there's an appropraite place to let someone evade until they wreck out, that's about as close as it's going to get.

It's amazing how people will expect some type of violent LE intervention to protect grounded airplanes, but won't give a second thought to criminals on a public road, crashing into an occupied car and killing innocent people.

I hear what you're saying. What surprises me, though, is that a pair of drunken idiots can just drive onto the flight line of an active duty air base without so much as a peep from base security. I guess there was a hole in the fence big enough to drive a jeep through? Also, the tower was aware of the CHP helicopter following, but it wasn't clear to me from the radio traffic if the CHP notified the tower of the intrusion.

awp_101
10-06-2018, 08:06 PM
He just felt the need, the need for speed...

JustOneGun
10-06-2018, 09:54 PM
These things happen. It sucks. The only real problem is that the vehicle made it onto the flight line and then hit a plane. Epic failure.

I was a leo when to two very high dui illegals drove up to to the main gate of a local AFB. They were lost. Did I mention they were zooming on meth? Long story they ran the gate and were stopped when security hit the security barrier. It took the tow truck quite a bit of effort to pull the truck off the barrier because the engine block was bent around the barrier. It was a mess.

I would have charged the driver with dui except....after they hit the barrier I could no longer tell who the driver was and who the passenger was. Neither could security. It was like shaking up a snow globe but instead of flakes it was humans. Second I could not charge someone who was in a coma, which both of them were. Seat belts work but only if you use them.

Moral of the story....security barriers work if you have them, they are properly made and you use them.

psalms144.1
10-07-2018, 09:56 AM
I won't go into specifics of force protection on military bases, but, suffice it to say VERY few installations have pop up bollards on exterior gates. If someone wants to blow through them, they usually can - happens a lot, without SECO's getting fired over it, usually. Not sure about the geography of Lemoore, but it sounded like CHP was having trouble reaching their Watch Commander to get them informed/involved - which would be a bigger issue to me...

Hambo
10-07-2018, 10:22 AM
And because it's a brave new world, the families will probably sue CHP and the Air Force.

Shellback
10-07-2018, 10:38 AM
And because it's a brave new world, the families will probably sue CHP and the Air Force.

It's a Navy base. ;)

I went to C school there, advanced composite repair for aircraft, in 97'

This incident actually happened in 2016 https://abc30.com/news/chp-chase-ends-in-fatal-crash-into-a-f-a-18-at-nas-lemoore/1270233/

lwt16
10-07-2018, 01:39 PM
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2009/04/valorie_cox_sentenced_to_30_ye.html

This was my case back when I did THI.

We have seen barriers installed here since then. Regards.

Hambo
10-07-2018, 01:52 PM
It's a Navy base. ;)

Hence the NAS and Super Hornets. :p

jetfire
10-08-2018, 09:49 AM
I can’t speak to how physical security works on Naval installations; I do know that most AFB have installed pop-up bollards specifically to counter this type of threat. Of course, pop up bollards are only as good as the people manning the switch.

Wayne Dobbs
10-09-2018, 09:58 AM
If I recall my ROE briefing received before deploying to Iraq in 2004, that is a straight up deadly force usage without further discussion.

blues
10-09-2018, 10:32 AM
If I recall my ROE briefing received before deploying to Iraq in 2004, that is a straight up deadly force usage without further discussion.

Hell, at Marana, we were informed that crossing the flight line on to the CIA's side of the base was a shooting offense, and we were all sworn LEOs.

(I never bothered to test the warning...though the CIA cordially allowed us to take advantage of some benefits...such as skydiving, which was awesome.),

Irelander
10-09-2018, 11:45 AM
I'm sure there are more expensive ways for an FA-18 to take out two idiots. This one didn't even have to leave the tarmac.

jetfire
10-09-2018, 11:49 AM

OCONUS it still is. CONUS it’s subject to the Installation Commander’s rules, but generally speaking on USAF installations, if you gate run then have a flight line incursion you can expect to get shot at.

ST911
10-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Many will overestimate the security of DOD installations, the function of security technology in use, the discretion entry controllers are empowered with to terminate events such as these, and the boldness of senior leaders in their decision making.

Irelander
10-09-2018, 02:45 PM
OCONUS it still is. CONUS it’s subject to the Installation Commander’s rules, but generally speaking on USAF installations, if you gate run then have a flight line incursion you can expect to get shot at.

Have there been any incidents like this in recent history where DOD base trespassers were shot at?

jetfire
10-09-2018, 03:15 PM
Have there been any incidents like this in recent history where DOD base trespassers were shot at?

Yep. There was one in England not too long ago, and one down south as well. A northern tier base had a gate runner get smacked by the bollards not too long ago as well.

SeriousStudent
10-09-2018, 09:35 PM

If they still had Marine guards at the Naval Air Station, this may apply:

https://www.battleskillstest.com/usmc-battle-skills-test-basic-infantry-skills/bst-basic-infantry-skills/

Two of the eight conditions that justify use of deadly force:

Assets Vital to National Security. Deadly force is authorized when deadly force reasonably appears to be necessary to prevent the actual theft or sabotage of assets vital to national security.
Example: Terrorist trying to steal highly classified information.

Inherently Dangerous Property. Deadly force is authorized when deadly force reasonably appears to be necessary to prevent the actual theft or sabotage of inherently dangerous property.
Example: Terrorist trying to steal weapons or ammo.

As an F/A-18 contains both classified gear and is property dangerous to others, ventilating him should be righteous.

I am familiar with a situation that happened at MCAS Yuma years ago, where a TV reporter was trying to do an expose on "lax security" by sneaking across a flightline.

He had a very, very bad evening as a result.

We had those eight rules drilled into us constantly. LL's experience was likely similar.

Peally
10-14-2018, 12:10 AM
The fact that the F/A-18 got the kills is hilarious.

Hope someone sneaky doodles two little people on the nose.

fastreb
10-22-2018, 05:26 AM
When I saw the video, my jaw dropped. I got sent to NAS Lemoore in 1983 for training on A-7s after I returned from a tour overseas. Back then, they had armed Marines on the gates and it wasn't advisable to run them. Post 9/11, I can't imagine how these fools got on the base except by smashing through a normally closed gate that wasn't manned.

As for the "chase" itself, there couldn't have been a better place for it to occur. I know some things will have changed but, back in 1983, NAS Lemoore sat way, way out in the middle of farm country. You had to travel a pretty good ways just to get to a small town. I am surprised that the CHP chopper was allowed to operate in the airspace while jets were launching without the tower giving them either strict guidance on where they could be or orders to leave immediately.

Lastly, the world is a tough place if you're going through life stupid. The miscreants found that out...with finality. As for the damage to the plane, they probably hit it in the best place they could have to cause the least amount of damage and the easiest to fix.