PDA

View Full Version : E-forms Form 1 is back !

HCM
10-04-2018, 09:15 PM
https://eforms.atf.gov/EForms/faces/userProfile/login.jspx?_afrLoop=169849839066537019&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=1aidyrfeg0_4

SeriousStudent
10-04-2018, 10:20 PM
Huzzah! I am delighted to read this.

If they do Form 4's online, I will be very happy indeed. :)

HCM
10-04-2018, 10:23 PM
Huzzah! I am delighted to read this.

If they do Form 4's online, I will be very happy indeed. :)

In the immortal words of Bob Qui Qui, “Don’t get crazy!”

SeriousStudent
10-04-2018, 11:28 PM
Don't harsh my buzz. :cool:

awp_101
10-05-2018, 07:20 AM
Dammit, this is going to cost me money. Especially if it includes Form 1 suppressors...

nate89
10-05-2018, 10:48 AM
Dammit, this is going to cost me money. Especially if it includes Form 1 suppressors...

No reason why it shouldn't, the paper forms are exactly the same. And now you have given me bad ideas that I didn't even consider when I read this; I was only thinking SBR/SBS which I don't really need more of right now. Some strange form 1 can for the hell of it, now that I do need. Money will be going down a rabbit hole here as well..

Mike C
10-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Oh hell yes!

ASH556
10-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Time to F1 my Benelli methinks.

awp_101
10-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Time to F1 my Benelli methinks.

Yeah, I can hear my 870 whispering I don't really need a TAC-14...

texasaggie2005
10-06-2018, 04:33 PM
So, I have a new lower I was going to SBR someday into a family trust. Is a Form 1 preferable? And is the online version faster than paper?

(apologies for the questions, I'm a total NFA noob)

HCM
10-06-2018, 05:10 PM
So, I have a new lower I was going to SBR someday into a family trust. Is a Form 1 preferable? And is the online version faster than paper?

(apologies for the questions, I'm a total NFA noob)

A form 1 is the only way to “make” and NFA item like and SBR.

The only other option is to buy a factory SBR or SBR lower which you would obtain via a form 4.

The only real difference is if you “make” and SBR by registering your lower once the tax stamp is approved you must engrave the lower with the “Makers” name, city and state. Obviously this make your SBR less attractive if you ever tried to resell it.

The last time e forms was availible it was faster than paper but at that time trust transactions did not require fingerprints and photos so it’s hard to say if that wil still be the case. Apparently the FBI fingerprint check is a bottleneck.

Paul Blackburn
10-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Do E-forms work for individual with fingerprints and CLEO?

HCM
10-06-2018, 05:21 PM
Do E-forms work for individual with fingerprints and CLEO?

The website clearly states it is for both trusts and individuals.

There is no more CLEO approval requirement for individuals, just CLEO notifications. That went away with the 41f changes a couple years ago.

Those same changes also extended the fingerprint and photo requirements to trusts. In other words everyone must now do FP and photos.

The current e forms allows you to upload the photo and print out a cover letter with your application number on it which is mailed in with your fingerprint cards.

I suspect eventually the fingerprints will be submitted electronically but we aren’t there yet.

Dan_S
10-06-2018, 10:34 PM
The only real difference is if you “make” and SBR by registering your lower once the tax stamp is approved you must engrave the lower with the “Makers” name, city and state. Obviously this make your SBR less attractive if you ever tried to resell it.

Not to be a stickler, but no. You do not have to engrave the lower. Engraving the barrel is perfectly acceptable.

This would obviate any concern about resale value, or simply cosmetic desires if SBR’ing a collectible or otherwise irreplaceable lower receiver.

HCM
10-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Not to be a stickler, but no. You do not have to engrave the lower. Engraving the barrel is perfectly acceptable.

This would obviate any concern about resale value, or simply cosmetic desires if SBR’ing a collectible or otherwise irreplaceable lower receiver.

That’s the first I’ve heard of engraving the barrel - I’d like to see a source for that since on something like an AR the barrel is not the “firearm.”

There are also people who claim you don’t need to engrave a form 1 item unless you plan to sell or transfer it to someone else.

Dan_S
10-06-2018, 11:14 PM
That’s the first I’ve heard of engraving the barrel - I’d like to see a source for that since on something like an AR the barrel is not the “firearm.”

There are also people who claim you don’t need to engrave a form 1 item unless you plan to sell or transfer it to someone else.

Not being snotty here in the least - it’s been a long time and I’m not in the mood to try to find it on my phone.

If you dig through the regulation, it’s clear that the barrel is an acceptable location for engraving - says it in black and white, barrel or receiver...both OK.

Dan_S
10-06-2018, 11:27 PM
As to the concern about the barrel not being ‘part’ of the firearm....

It’s not the lower itself that is the SBR. When in configuration, yes....but....

If you put a >16 inch barrel on an AR, it’s no longer an SBR, and not subject to transportation notification across state lines, etc. No barrle that I’m aware of in integral to the frame or receiver across any type of firearm so whether the barrel is attached or not is a non issues, because due to various atf rulings and such, it’s been made clear the receiver or LOWER or frame by itself isn’t what constitutes the SBR...

Hopefully that makes sense.

Dan_S
10-06-2018, 11:39 PM
Alright:

ATF 5300.4 27 CFR 479.102

(1) on frame or receiver the serial number

(2) on frame receiver or barrel the following

(A) model

(B) calibre

(C) name

(D) city and state with abbreviated state name allowed

Must be casted engraved or stamped to a depth of at least .003 and in the instance of serial number no less than 1/16 inch print size.

SeriousStudent
10-06-2018, 11:44 PM
Dan_S is correct. From the NFA Handbook published by the BATFE.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-6/download

Chapter 6, section 6.2.1, third paragraph.

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.

As the person submitting the Form 1, you are the "maker".

Hope that helps.

HCM
10-07-2018, 12:36 AM
Dan_S is correct. From the NFA Handbook published by the BATFE.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-6/download

Chapter 6, section 6.2.1, third paragraph.

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.

As the person submitting the Form 1, you are the "maker".

Hope that helps.

So with an AR, if I engrave the barrel, and have more than one upper, say a .33LR, a 5.56, and a .300 BO would I need to engrave all three ?

Dan_S
10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
So with an AR, if I engrave the barrel, and have more than one upper, say a .33LR, a 5.56, and a .300 BO would I need to engrave all three ?

Would putting a different barrel/upper on the lower be a permanent modification?

Toonces
10-07-2018, 10:57 PM

Yes, if the barrel length is below 16" and they will be mated with the registered lower. Anything that completes the SBR configuration of a barrel length under 16" must be marked.

Toonces
10-07-2018, 10:59 PM
Would putting a different barrel/upper on the lower be a permanent modification?

Just curious, how does permanent or not matter?

Dan_S
10-08-2018, 02:59 AM
-edit-

Hansohn Brothers
10-12-2018, 08:02 AM
The engraving must not be obscured. If there is room on the barrel, I prefer marking there as opposed to the receiver.

Hansohn Brothers
10-12-2018, 08:07 AM
Yes, if the barrel length is below 16" and they will be mated with the registered lower. Anything that completes the SBR configuration of a barrel length under 16" must be marked.

There is no such thing as a registered lower. Only complete rifles can be registered. If the barrel was marked for registration, a replacement barrel does not need to be marked however.