PDA

View Full Version : SIG does something cool -- ceremonial M17

NGP
10-04-2018, 10:37 AM
All the issues with sig aside, these are really cool pistols and (to me) quite fitting of their recipients.

https://goo.gl/4vNiKD (http://soldiersystems.net/2018/10/03/sig-sauer-to-present-ceremonial-m17-pistols-to-u-s-armys-3rd-u-s-infantry-regiment-the-old-guard-for-the-tomb-of-the-unknown-soldier/)

HCM
10-04-2018, 10:51 AM
The fact that they have an aluminum grip module rather than polymer is interesting.

OlongJohnson
10-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Curious what the coating is. Looks like maybe DLC?

NGP
10-04-2018, 11:27 AM
The fact that they have an aluminum grip module rather than polymer is interesting.

I agree, curious to see if they do anything with it on the commercial side in the future.

Curious what the coating is. Looks like maybe DLC?

I have no idea, whatever it is they polished the hell out of it!

RevolverRob
10-04-2018, 11:36 AM
I saw this, this morning on Tac Wire and thought that it was pretty cool. I really appreciate the symbolism and thought that went into selecting the materials for these guns and getting everything sorted. Marble dust from the tomb compacted into the sights? Wood from the USS Olympia for the grips? I mean damn. Someone went through a lot of effort to make these. And that I can really appreciate.

Bigghoss
10-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Sure is pretty. Guess that makes two reasons not to drop it.

LockedBreech
10-04-2018, 11:39 PM
For once I have zero snark for Sig. That is an absolutely beautiful gesture.

Bucky
10-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Interesting pistol. Looks like no safety on this model.

Gadfly
10-05-2018, 10:46 AM
I can only assume the Guards carry inert/ceremonial rifles and pistols?

They don't actually have ammo in their side arms? Do they?

NGP
10-05-2018, 07:23 PM

I wondered the same, while I hope they do, Im betting most likely not.

Chuck Whitlock
10-06-2018, 09:57 PM
http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/b83c412e-dd29-497c-9a18-f9bc6fe9c71c

I saw this a couple of days ago. First, I think this is a cool tribute that SIG did. Second, I had never considered the possibility of making the grip module of the 250/320 out of aluminum. This raises all kinds of potential ideas.

Jim Watson
10-06-2018, 10:18 PM
Everybody runs down the Colt All American 2000.
The first run in aluminum receivers, said to be made to get something on the market while plastic molds were being made, were a horse of a different color.

Maybe Sig will recover some of their investment with a deluxe commercial version.
Or make a new General Officer's Pistol.

Balisong
10-06-2018, 10:22 PM
That is so cool. I love how much thought went into each part of the guns. The part about marble from the tomb being used in the sights was an awesome touch as well as wood from the ship that transported the unknown soldier

HCM
10-06-2018, 10:23 PM
Existing thread on this - https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?33279-SIG-does-something-cool

HCM
10-07-2018, 12:29 AM
Merged threads.

Gracias.

Nephrology
10-07-2018, 12:41 AM
The idea is nice, but those extended grip magazine sleeves are .... not attractive.

I would have been happy if SIG had just given them 1911s.

Drang
10-07-2018, 03:16 AM

According to the article on Guns.com, the M14s carried by the guards are live and operational, and the pistols carried by the Sergeants/Officers of the Guard are as well. The SOG/OOG currently carry "match grade" M9s, and will switch to these in (IIRC) October of 2019.

I used to know a major who had been a Tomb Guard in his previous existence. He would only say "Yes, the guards have the means to defend themselves and the Tomb. No, I can't tell you what those means are" So maybe Guns.com, or their source, was woofin', or may be things have changed since then. ("Then" having been 20 years ago now. Fuck. Just ship me off to the Soldiers' and Sailors' Home...)

farscott
10-07-2018, 07:42 AM
I am not a fan of SIG's business practices, but I would have zero issue giving them (lots of) money for a commercial version of the "Tomb M17". Not sure what that says about me, but I appreciate SIG providing a suitable weapon (fully functional art) given to those who guard the Tomb of the Unknowns.

As for the Tomb guards being able to defend the tomb and themselves, that seems a necessity in this day, where terrorism, lack of respect, petty crime, and domestic upheaval are all the norm.

Cory
10-07-2018, 08:26 AM
Commercial version isnt likely. Alot of things for The Tomb Guards are specifically made for them, and never reproduced for the public.

I used to do Honor Guard work while I was in the National Guard. Naturally the Tomb Guards are discussed often as the absolute best. I seem to remember they use Oakley glasses that aren't released to the public, a holster that is handmade and isnt sold to the public, and custom M9s. Anyone wanting a commercial version is likely out of luck.

-Cory

JSGlock34
10-07-2018, 08:35 AM
SIG did a nice job on this particular pistol, and the aluminum frame option is intriguing, but as a company they have a long record of producing silly "gun-of-the-month" runs. I suspect we'll see that aluminum frame again in the future, and not always as tastefully rendered.

Bucky
10-07-2018, 09:42 AM
If Sig could make metal frames for the P320, to include steel, they could make a USPSA production pistol to compete with the weight of the Shadow 2 and Tangfos if they wanted. Hmm...

Zman001
10-14-2018, 11:04 AM
Those slide serrations, ugh. Fitting that you'd see them on a sig. The aluminum frame is neat. Would be cool to have to get new shooters started on a 9mm

TGS
10-15-2018, 03:08 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this looks gaudy and ugly?

Especially with the extended mag....

farscott
10-15-2018, 06:18 AM

No, it is gaudy and ugly. But I still want one.

Bucky
10-15-2018, 06:54 AM
Actually, the holster bothers me more. The open bottom holster looks cheap and impractical, despite the fact that it's probably well made.

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/img_7454.jpg

Chuck Whitlock
10-16-2018, 10:06 AM

No, it is gaudy and ugly. But I still want one.

While functional, its primary purpose is ceremonial, which it accomplishes in spades.

Jesting Devil
10-19-2018, 11:30 AM
A little birdie told me the aluminum frames on these were extremely expensive and a one off type thing, not coming to commercial market any time soon. A lot of work went into that project.

I think the design and all the pieces of history included in it are pretty awesome.