PDA

View Full Version : 38 Special- Early 90s style

Norville
10-03-2018, 05:28 PM
Found these in an ammo can recently. The Treasury loads are 1987. The Corbon 1991, the Thunder Zap is 1989, not sure about the other two. Can’t say much of this is relevant today except maybe 1000 FPS FBI load from Corbon.

Wayne Dobbs
10-03-2018, 06:09 PM
We didn't know what we didn't know on ammo back then. The light was starting to shine through and there's now no excuse to get sucked in by gimmick ammo.

Lester Polfus
10-03-2018, 06:23 PM
The tubular and Thunderzap rounds may be of some value to ammo collectors.

TiroFijo
10-03-2018, 10:31 PM
We didn't know what we didn't know on ammo back then. The light was starting to shine through and there's now no excuse to get sucked in by gimmick ammo.

Back in the day when 'expert's' articles in Guns & Ammo were taken as gospel... :D

Totem Polar
10-04-2018, 12:34 AM
I still have some of that Corbon 1000fps LSWCHP. IIRC, it was a ballistic duplicate of the RCMP’s load, which was itself a hotter FBI load done at their request. Sort of like their uploaded federal 9bp (xm9001). At any rate, I like that Corbon. It smacked bowling pins with good authority from a 4" model 64 (proof that I was there in the late 80s/early90s, I guess).

Baldanders
10-04-2018, 01:13 AM
I am demented enough to covet all that ammo. (Particularly the PMC and Thunderzap)

Then I'd have the dilemma of throwing away money or "testing" it on various objects.

Norville
10-04-2018, 07:00 AM
The tubular and Thunderzap rounds may be of some value to ammo collectors.

Thanks, have to find an ammo collector forum!

Back in the day when 'expert's' articles in Guns & Ammo were taken as gospel... :D

Or at least a full color advertisement. I remember the PMC ad , back cover if I’m not mistaken.

I still have some of that Corbon 1000fps LSWCHP. IIRC, it was a ballistic duplicate of the RCMP’s load, which was itself a hotter FBI load done at their request. Sort of like their uploaded federal 9bp (xm9001). At any rate, I like that Corbon. It smacked bowling pins with good authority from a 4" model 64 (proof that I was there in the late 80s/early90s, I guess).

Yes it is a good idea. I knew Peter Pi in those days and he felt the commercial FBI loads were too slow, particularly in a snub. The 115 was a Sierra 9mm projectile he had custom sized, again trying to duplicate 9mm performance on a snub revolver. They made a lot of noise if I remember.

I am demented enough to covet all that ammo. (Particularly the PMC and Thunderzap)

Then I'd have the dilemma of throwing away money or "testing" it on various objects.

I think I shot a water jug with the tubular, and a sand bucket. The Thunderzap is left over from the Second Chance Subway event.

5pins
10-04-2018, 10:07 AM
I saw a place online that was selling that PMC ammo for $10 a round.

Norville
10-04-2018, 10:24 AM
I saw a place online that was selling that PMC ammo for $10 a round.

Were they actually selling any? I think the box is half full.

5pins
10-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Were they actually selling any? I think the box is half full.

I have no idea if it was selling or not. I don't remember where I saw it. It was some obscure place I have never seen before.