PDA

View Full Version : How are the CTC laser grips for glocks?

Speederlander
10-02-2018, 05:15 PM
I am looking at the green laser grips for a glock 19. Any positive feedback?

Gadfly
10-02-2018, 05:22 PM
I have not used the green... but the red ones my friend owns suck. They are bulky, interfere with overhand rack, and just dont really fit the hand well. Actual grips such as on the 1911, Beretta, SIG, and revolvers seem to work well with the laser integration. The Glock solution, held on the back strap by a pin, is just not that impressive to me.

I am not a huge laser fan, with the exception of CT grips on a J frame. Those rock. But if I just had to have a laser, the M&P is probably the best laser grip set up for a polymer gun, Also, the SIG 320 grip module with integrated laser. Of all platforms, the LAST one I would laser is a Glock, simply for ergonomic reasons. Your mileage may vary.

GJM
10-02-2018, 05:41 PM
I have the ones that go on the back of the grip, and the other style that go on the triggerguard. I think both suck.

I would go with a TLR-8 if the holsters options work for you.

1slow
10-02-2018, 05:53 PM
I used them hard a lot and liked them well. This was before the tang extensions. The CT kept the slide from drawing blood. I did not like the added grip size but I have big lean hands and it was OK. I never had one fail in use but understand they are not waterproof.
If your carry mode will let you an X400 with a DG switch would be better. Better yet the new one with the laser on top of the light.

CT on S&W M&P 9mm was seamless, replaced medium grip panels.

BillSWPA
10-03-2018, 03:46 PM
I think the best Crimson Trace solution for a Glock is the LaserGuard, not the LaserGrip. However, even this impacted my grip more than other Crimson Trace products on other guns. I also found that I was not consistently activating the laser with the Glock LaserGuard, although this may vary with hand size.

If I wanted to put a laser on a Glock, I would look at a Streamlight TLR-6 or TLR-8, even though these solutions sacrifice the grip activation that makes Crimson Trace products so useful.

I am a fan of lasers on subcompact guns, and believe that they provide a considerable advantage on smaller guns with typically poor sights like a J-frame, tiny .380 pistol, etc. On guns the size of a Glock 26 or larger, with good sights, the advantage is diminished. I do use LaserGrips on the 1911 in the bedroom lockbox in case I have to shoot without my glasses.

UNM1136
10-03-2018, 05:02 PM
I like lasers on training guns and duty guns...I have for about 15 years now...I have run CTCs on 1911s, a Sig P229, and, now an M&P.

That said, when I get a laser for my Gen 4 G17 MOS, chopped, finger grooves removed, beavertail added, and Norton Special from Robar, the laser of choice will be this. (https://www.lasermax.com/lms-g4-17g.html)

pat

Speederlander
10-03-2018, 06:50 PM
I like lasers on training guns and duty guns...I have for about 15 years now...I have run CTCs on 1911s, a Sig P229, and, now an M&P.

That said, when I get a laser for my Gen 4 G17 MOS, chopped, finger grooves removed, beavertail added, and Norton Special from Robar, the laser of choice will be this. (https://www.lasermax.com/lms-g4-17g.html)

pat

I've heard mixed reviews on the guide rod laser but that was a while ago. Is it considered a reliable solution?

UNM1136
10-03-2018, 07:04 PM
I've heard mixed reviews on the guide rod laser but that was a while ago. Is it considered a reliable solution?

Dunno. It would spend a year and a couple of thousand rounds to vet before carrying... A laser is largely a niche tool. What it does it does very well. Since my grip diminsions are being fudged, CTC doesn't seem like a good option, and neither does anything else out there. At work my gun has a WML, and off duty it doesn"t, so anything on the rail or trigger guard is a no go. Lasermax has been in business for a couple of decades now, with high prices. So I am willing to take a chance. Nothing else makes much sense right now.

So far, I have not seen much info that would dissuade me from a secondary/tertiary sighting system by them. Given where I am in this project however, it will be the last thing I buy and is a few years away.

pat

SilverB
10-04-2018, 07:09 PM
I like lasers especially grip lasers that it turns on as you tighten your grip naturally when you are about to pull the trigger. It’s one less thing you have to remember in a life threatening situation. A side benefit is that it zeros much easier than the iron sight. I normally do a quick zero at the range to the laser then I come home to zero the iron sights based on the laser. I have CTC grip laser on all my defense pistols including Sigs and Glocks.

The grip laser on Sigs is a replacement of the original grip, so it won’t change the grip size much. The grip laser on Glock 17/19 is an add on to the original grip, so it does change the grip size. But, I’ve found that I like this change for the following reasons:

The grip laser is adding the thickness on the left, right and back and with a tang. The right bump fits into the valley of the strong hand’s palm, the left bump is under the strong hand’s thumb which does not even come in contact with the strong hand. Many pistols have this two bumps on purpose (aka palm swell) to aid in muzzle control. And the added thickness on the back plus the tang actually push down the angle if the grip so the muzzle points lower much like a Sig. This is a big plus for me as I own Sigs and Glocks.

GJM
10-07-2018, 05:41 PM
The Glock G45 I won yesterday came with a Crimson Trace LL-807G.

When I was shooting it in the side match at a popper at 100 yards I didn’t even notice there was a laser on it, which is a good thing given how the Crimson Trace Glock models seem to muck with my grip. This morning, I started playing with it with a plan to remove the laser, and I was surprised how well the grip activation worked with the relocation of the activation button to below the trigger guard.

https://www.crimsontrace.com/products/by-product-type/laser-sights/01-6950

The light is only 150 lumens but the green laser module, which primarily interests me is located above the light making for minimal barrel/laser offset. Anyone messed with one of these?

GJM
10-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Here is a picture and you can see the relocated activation button.

GJM
10-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Just before dark, I hit the range and checked zero on a TLR-8 installed on a G19X and the Crimson Trace 807G on my new G45.

The Crimson Trace is green which I believe is an advantage because it is brighter in light conditions and easily distinguished from a red RDS. The Crimson Trace has less bore offset than the TLR-8, meaning less difference between POA and POI when using the parallel zero I prefer. The activation is superior with the CT, as you turn it on and off with your grip as opposed to using a finger with the TLR-8.

I did not test the light on each unit as it wasn’t dark, but obviously the Streamlight is brighter.

If the CT proves durable and I can get Tony to make holsters for it, this could be a very interesting product.

jetfire
10-08-2018, 09:35 AM
I’ve been a big booster of CTC products since long before they were bought by AOG, and I’m still an advocate for most of their products...except their Glock lasergrips. On both the Gen3 and Gen4 Lasergrip models for Glock pistols, I’ve had significant issues with the lasers not holding zero due to how they’re attached to the pistol itself. It’s the only Lasergrip product that I don’t really recommend as a result.

I do not have significant experience with the Laserguard modules for Glock to make a recommendation one way or the other.

APS-PF
10-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Here is a picture and you can see the relocated activation button.

I was able to torque a laserguard off of zero within a few magazines when they use the activation button on the front of the grip. This one you posted probably does away with that issue. I like it.

GJM
10-09-2018, 10:05 PM
This CT laser unit continues to impress me. I removed it from a G45, installed it on a 19X, and hit the range just before dark to verify zero. Here is a short video shooting it this evening, first ten rounds to a 3x5 at 7 yards, then five shots to a one inch square. No holster yet, other than my back pocket.

https://youtu.be/YGNBrBPopbE