PDA

View Full Version : Alien Pistol from Laugo Arms

Dismas316
09-30-2018, 04:20 PM
We live in interesting times as gun enthusiasts. Every couple months we see a interesting pistol come to the market. But this one looks really innovative..

http://www.recoilweb.com/exclusive-alien-pistol-from-laugo-arms-142190.html

Maple Syrup Actual
09-30-2018, 05:39 PM
No idea whether this particular gun will deliver but it's the configuration I have been arguing for, for years. To me, this is the arrangement that will make pistol red dots a valid option for the vast majority of users.

miller_man
09-30-2018, 05:42 PM
There was another thread on here somewhere about this pistol already I believe.

Pretty interesting.

GuanoLoco
09-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Just...wow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnBbR005PsE

Totem Polar
09-30-2018, 07:28 PM
That is interesting. I'll for sure be keeping an eye out for more developments on this one, should they come to pass.

Nephrology
09-30-2018, 07:30 PM
I'm a little skeptical of a gas piston semi auto pistol... but if it runs and is reasonably priced, they'll sell like hotcakes.

olstyn
09-30-2018, 07:47 PM
I'm a little skeptical of a gas pistol semi auto pistol

Yeah, the HK P7 is super cool and all, but there's that whole thing about how if you fire more than a mag or two, the thing gets too hot to hold on to. I'll be interested to know what sort of solution they found for that issue. Gas piston in the top rail section so it's away from your hand, maybe?

pangloss
09-30-2018, 07:48 PM
My first thought is that it's going to be difficult to get empty brass to eject up out of that low set barrel at the same level of reliability exhibited by pistols already on the market. I'd love a Glock-reliable autoloader without reciprocating sights though.

tcba_joe
09-30-2018, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure I see this particular gun gaining traction, but with the proliferation of RDS as standard hopefully this concept becomes viable.

fly out
09-30-2018, 08:00 PM
I saw one cryptic reference to "north of $2K" for a price range, but Google translate could have interfered...has anyone seen a hint as to expected pricing?

einherjarvalk
09-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Alien, huh?

https://i.imgur.com/CTn5gqJl.png

(jokes aside, Laugo brought us the original Scorpion Evo 3 design, so I'm very curious to see where this goes)

LockedBreech
09-30-2018, 09:57 PM
I remember a Tom Jones response when I was being snarky about a new design a year or two ago and it made me re-think. Even if parts of it give me doubts or make me want to scoff, it's continued innovation, and that's always great for us. It brings us better and better guns. They scoffed at aircraft carriers overtaking battleships, too.

scjbash
10-01-2018, 12:31 AM
2.47 pounds empty. Heavy is good.

BigT
10-01-2018, 02:58 AM
While I think this particular pistol will be the subject of a future episode of Forgotten Weapons, the fixed platform for the RDS is something I hope gets adopted by mainstream manufacturers.

hufnagel
10-01-2018, 05:04 AM
Interesting. It saddens me you have to pull the trigger to take it apart though. We'll have to call it the Alien Hole when the proper time comes.
Still, I'm intrigued to find out how it shoots. It's just weird enough that it could make it on to my "aw, fuck... let's buy it" list.
(yea, I'm pretty much at that point in my gun buying history. :D )

Clusterfrack
10-01-2018, 10:52 AM
I’m actually kind of excited about this, and think a $2k+ price is a great sign. The build quality looks very good, and will have to be to justify the cost.

Maybe we will finally move beyond the 1911/2011 design that is so unreliable, finicky, and unjustifiably expensive. Can you tell how much I like 1911s [emoji3]?

I probably won’t be an early adopter, but... tempted.

Gio
10-01-2018, 11:05 AM
It seems truly innovative, but so did the Hudson H9 and that one hasn't quite worked out yet. The non-reciprocating sights/optic is definitely the most intriguing aspect of it.

einherjarvalk
10-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Interesting. It saddens me you have to pull the trigger to take it apart though. We'll have to call it the Alien Hole when the proper time comes.

I vote we call it the "legburster" just so we can keep all our alien jokes in the same bucket.

EDIT: Actually, since I have Photoshop open and a few minutes to kill...

call_me_ski
10-01-2018, 11:48 AM
Yeah, the HK P7 is super cool and all, but there's that whole thing about how if you fire more than a mag or two, the thing gets too hot to hold on to. I'll be interested to know what sort of solution they found for that issue. Gas piston in the top rail section so it's away from your hand, maybe?

Hk pressed the barrel into the frame and the gas piston chamber was actually part of the frame directly above the trigger. It was about as worse case scenario as possible regarding heat transfer to that location. I never found it too much of a problem with my own P7. The only possible time that it might come up would be in some pistol courses.

The Alien seems to better set up not to transfer as much heat. The piston chamber is part of the barrel opposite the trigger and, while the barrel does not move as part of the cycle of operations, it is not hard mounted as part of the frame assembly.

Irelander
10-01-2018, 01:24 PM
I'm sure Tom is already working on an Alien Gadget.

GuanoLoco
10-01-2018, 04:05 PM

"Soon."

HCM
10-01-2018, 10:57 PM

Well, he is in NM.

Paul D
10-01-2018, 11:51 PM
Here is pro shooter Hwansik Kim (of Walther team) trying out the prototype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PZ-5dlFr74

GuanoLoco
10-01-2018, 11:53 PM
What muzzle flip?

hufnagel
10-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Yea yea, pro shooter, big deal. Put that thing in the hands of some random dude, have him shoot it, and video it.

also I'm sure if Tom develops a Gadget for this (if it needs it) he'll sell a bunch, if only because every top strap will need one I bet, based on my examination of the design drawings shown so far.

TiroFijo
10-02-2018, 03:30 PM
VERY interesting and novel design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn7Ofkm1bAE

GuanoLoco
10-02-2018, 06:34 PM
So hot right now... Seriously, low bore axis, sight tracker design WITH interchangeable top straps.

Very innovative approach in a stagnant pool. IF they can make it work I see this as a potential game changer.

Jay Cunningham
10-02-2018, 06:38 PM
So hot right now... Seriously, low bore axis, sight tracker design WITH interchangeable top straps.

Very innovative approach in a stagnant pool. IF they can make it work I see this as a potential game changer.

I agree.

I do not think that an optic on a reciprocating slide is the right path forward.

This? This to me is what right looks like.

scjbash
10-02-2018, 07:13 PM

Tackleberry40sw
10-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Do we think this is just going to be a competition/gamer pistol or do we think this will pass muster to go in duty holster or concealed carry holsters?

feudist
10-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Springfield bought the HS2000...

Who would be a candidate?

45dotACP
10-02-2018, 07:57 PM
Yea yea, pro shooter, big deal. Put that thing in the hands of some random dude, have him shoot it, and video it.

also I'm sure if Tom develops a Gadget for this (if it needs it) he'll sell a bunch, if only because every top strap will need one I bet, based on my examination of the design drawings shown so far.I respectfully disagree.

A pro shooter who runs a dot gun on a reciprocating slide would be the perfect control group for a gun that could potentially mount a non reciprocating dot.

Interesting design...but I'll wait to see how it shakes out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

einherjarvalk
10-02-2018, 08:33 PM
Springfield bought the HS2000...

Who would be a candidate?

CZ is the obvious answer for this one. Aside from having home field advantage as far as a large company picking up niche designs, Laugo designed the Scorpion Evo 3 which has been a massive success for CZ.

Given that CZ has absolutely no qualms importing tiny batches of niche pistols already, the Alien seems like a good fit for them.

fly out
10-02-2018, 09:12 PM
IANAE, but from the patent drawings, it looks like it would be a triviality to add what could amount to a "crossbolt" type safety in one, probably two different places. I'm sure there are more-sophisticated ways to accomplish the same result. Perhaps that's not the direction they are going to go.

I don't see this as a gun for being Springfielded, but the CZ connection could make sense. I'm interested.

hufnagel
10-03-2018, 11:03 AM
after looking at the 3rd (?) video, I have my concerns about drop safety and other issues.
that being said, I still think it's neat and would probably buy one if the price isn't 1911 money. :D

Bucky
10-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Since in it's current incarnation it appears to be a single action (internal, and inverted) hammer fired pistol without a safety, I suspect it will just be a competition pistol.

It obviously appears to be hammer fired. The linked article is trying to say otherwise.

Alien’s patented hammerless trigger system features an inverted hybrid striker that is attached to the replaceable upper rail. Housing the of the hybrid striker also allows for the low bore axis fit.

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/exclusive-alien-pistol-from-laugo-arms-142190.html#ixzz5SszRXVZ0

As far as competition, by definition I don’t think it would qualify for production, as a single action hammer fired gun.

Eurastus
10-03-2018, 12:42 PM
The inverted, downward swinging hammer, internal slide, fixed (low bore axis) barrel, and non-reciprocating upper with sights of the Alien pistol remind me somewhat of the Feinwerkbau AW93 but most especially of the Baikal IZH-35M. These are both competition 22lr pistols which have been on the market for a very long time.

Here's some further info on the IZH-35M: http://www.nramuseum.org/media/364370/Jun%2000.pdf

P30
08-06-2019, 07:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtAgPncT-BI

Nice picture (https://abload.de/img/36376893_101855888496x4s3i.jpg)

Jay Cunningham
08-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Looks good.

Clusterfrack
08-06-2019, 08:58 PM
Looks good.

It does look awesome, but not clear if it will pass Carry Optics rules. Optic must ride on slide. And is action SA only? If so, not Production either.

Caballoflaco
08-06-2019, 09:11 PM
It does look awesome, but not clear if it will pass Carry Optics rules. Optic must ride on slide. And is action SA only? If so, not Production either.

Get a comp. for it, load up some 9mm paraboomum and.....Open Gun.

ETA: website shows they have a factory available “open division” set up with comp.

3rd edit to delete a bunch of info that had been covered because I didn’t R-RTFT.

Clusterfrack
08-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Get a comp. for it, load up some 9mm paraboomum and.....Open Gun.

Actually that’s the only way I’d do Open. I have zero patience for 2011s that cost $5k, require constant gunsmithing, and still don’t work.

Jim Watson
08-06-2019, 10:10 PM
The Laugo Alien is already on the IPSC Production list and is therefore automatically qualified for IPSC Carry Optic.
Maybe when they actually make it to America...

nwhpfan
08-07-2019, 12:45 AM
Two words: Glock Killa

Seriously.

Ok, actually serious.

Everything about this gun looks good except the price tag.

Magsz
08-07-2019, 05:15 AM
The Laugo Alien is already on the IPSC Production list and is therefore automatically qualified for IPSC Carry Optic.

I don't think that's the case.

I remember reading a thread somewhere on the Brian Enos forums stating that a ruling had come down removing the pistol from Carry Optics division.

I believe Laugo was contesting this.

Bucky
08-07-2019, 06:12 AM
Actually that’s the only way I’d do Open. I have zero patience for 2011s that cost $5k, require constant gunsmithing, and still don’t work.

I’m glad I got one for half that and pretty much don’t do any more maintenance than a Glock or Beretta. At 70K I did do a new barrel, for accuracy and cheaper (free) 9mm brass.

ETA: I can’t imagine an open Glock, Beretta, CZ lasting this long, especially considering most of the round count was at 180 PF (back when 175 was minimum for major).

BigT
08-07-2019, 06:29 AM

Nope , it got removed from Production Optics because of exactly that.

Jim Watson
08-07-2019, 07:54 AM
From IPSC rules:
Below is a list of the April/May/June 2019 additions to the list of pistols currently approved for Production Division.

LAUGO ARMS Alien

ETA: I found the cite. Seems that it is disallowed because the top rail doesn't move and does not constitute a slide for purposes of attaching a carry optic.
Lots of hoo hah from IPSC and Laugo.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/06/19/laugo-arms-alien-pistol-practical-shooting-rules-setback-optics/

BigT
08-07-2019, 08:48 AM
Exactly what? You are in a real IPSC region, tell me what I have wrong:

From IPSC rules:
Below is a list of the April/May/June 2019 additions to the list of pistols currently approved for Production Division.

LAUGO ARMS Alien

and

14. Only handguns listed as approved in the Production Division List on the IPSC website and fitted with an
optical/electronic sight may be used in Production Optics or Production Optics Light Divisions.

The exactly is the fact that the optic isn't slide mounted. Dude at a major match in Europe (the Infinity Open) recently got bumped to open because the optic on an alien is not mounted on the slide as required in PO and POL. If they can find a way to mount an optic on the slide of the gun it will be PO legal, but not on the topstrap section where they go currently.

fly out
08-07-2019, 09:07 AM
Perhaps it's time for a rule change to simply require that the optic is fixed to the pistol above the centerline of the barrel? In the big picture, that keeps out what they don't want, while allowing for advancements in design. (I understand that at the current time, a bunch of people don't want the Aliens, either, but you know what I mean.)

BigT
08-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Perhaps it's time for a rule change to simply require that the optic is fixed to the pistol above the centerline of the barrel? In the big picture, that keeps out what they don't want, while allowing for advancements in design. (I understand that at the current time, a bunch of people don't want the Aliens, either, but you know what I mean.)

Then you end up in a situation like the old 5lb trigger pull rule which screws anything different.

Also an open gun has ts optic fixed above the centreline of the barrel. The entire point of the division is slide mounted optics.

Clusterfrack
08-07-2019, 10:13 AM
IPSC PO rules are already completely retarded by trying to please gun manufacturers. Heavy and Light divisions? Give me a break.

I'd scrap the whole thing and start again.

Reasonable trigger weight. As in "Carry".

No comp.

Fits in box.

Minor PF.

Boom. Done.

jbrimlow
01-20-2020, 02:43 PM
Apparently their US Distributor is Lancer Systems (https://lancer-systems.com/), with a link to https://laugo.us/ and they're taking preorders for the "signature edition" now.

Deposit 50% of the $5000 price now, the rest later.

Apparently only 500 of the signature models are being produced. Maybe they're testing the market?

TicTacticalTimmy
01-20-2020, 03:06 PM
Apparently their US Distributor is Lancer Systems (https://lancer-systems.com/), with a link to https://laugo.us/ and they're taking preorders for the "signature edition" now.

Apparently only 500 of the signature models are being produced. Maybe they're testing the market?

I believe they also made 5K globally with the deluxe kit for the 5K price tag. I'm thinking they are hoping to milk the tiny subset of the market willing to pay that amount and pay back some of their R&D costs. In the meantime they are tooling up for higher volume production at a lower price. At least I hope that is the case.

Clusterfrack
01-20-2020, 03:26 PM
Probably hoping for a license or outright purchase from a larger company? I really want the Alien to be a success. It's the first really innovative handgun that looks truly promising to me. I bet these signature guns will sell well, as will the rest of their stock. I won't be buying it, but it would be fun to shoot one.

the Schwartz
01-20-2020, 04:48 PM

It's certainly a neat looking blaster, but with a $5,000 window sticker, the only thing that they are testing is the level of disposable income some of us are willing to part with.

Hard pass for me as my stock Gen 3 Glock 17 does everything that I want/need.

jbrimlow
01-20-2020, 04:53 PM
They appear to have an optic mounting solution that attaches to the slide for ipsc pistol optics division: http://laugoarms.com/ipsc-retro-pdo.html

RAM Engineer
01-20-2020, 05:35 PM
Hudson ver. 2.0

hufnagel
01-20-2020, 07:23 PM
They appear to have an optic mounting solution that attaches to the slide for ipsc pistol optics division: http://laugoarms.com/ipsc-retro-pdo.html

Wait... IPSC demands the red dot be on the reciprocating portion? That's, pardon my french, fucking retarded. One of the benefits of the Alien is that you DON'T have to have your sights moving around like that.

olstyn
01-20-2020, 07:41 PM
Wait... IPSC demands the red dot be on the reciprocating portion? That's, pardon my french, fucking retarded. One of the benefits of the Alien is that you DON'T have to have your sights moving around like that.

I believe that's only for the IPSC version of Carry Optics, and you'd be able to run a "normal" Alien in IPSC Open without a problem. USPSA Carry Optics is essentially the same; the rules say the optic must be mounted to the slide, not the frame. It could be reasonably argued that since the Alien's top strap does not reciprocate, it's actually a part of the frame, not the slide.

jbrimlow
01-20-2020, 07:45 PM
I believe that's only for the IPSC version of Carry Optics, and you'd be able to run a "normal" Alien in IPSC Open without a problem. USPSA Carry Optics is essentially the same; the rules say the optic must be mounted to the slide, not the frame. It could be reasonably argued that since the Alien's top strap does not reciprocate, it's actually a part of the frame, not the slide.

Exactly. "production optics" in IPSC is like "carry optics" in USPSA.

YVK
01-20-2020, 09:06 PM
I am interested in this gun from the novelty standpoint but I am afraid it is going nowhere. Starting a competition oriented project in the US with a 500 units release, without guaranteeing at least 2000, is not a smart idea. That IPSC complaint solution looks terrible. If they cant appeal IPSC decision, or get USPSA approval for production/co as is, they will stay a collector's item.

Jim Watson
01-20-2020, 09:39 PM
Agree that if you ain't got carry optics, you ain't got a product.
Too bad, I am clinging to my iron sights.

I wonder what the standard model price will be when and if they get through the first run "Signatures."
Hey, 2020 Corvette No 1 sold for about 4X list.

Bucky
01-21-2020, 04:49 AM
Hey, 2020 Corvette No 1 sold for about 4X list.

Didn’t that sell for $3M?

DpdG
01-21-2020, 07:35 AM
It seems like this design is not optimized for any particular rule set/division. In addition, the price puts in a category with the 7.5 Brno- cool but totally pointless.

Having said that, it (in principle at least) could be a significant step forward in red dot implementation and durability. One of the big challenges for red dots on pistols vs rifles is the g-load they see on a reciprocating slide. Another is it’s harder to track the dot during slide cycling. Traditionally solutions have been either Open style mounting or the 6 second mount- neither of which are very graceful or holster friendly. Perhaps with further product development towards service-oriented style/price point will bring more wide spread implementation.

FAS1
01-21-2020, 09:58 AM
I like it! I'm just not sure I like it enough to own it at $5K.

http://www.laugoarms.com/images/la-_Alien_500_20502.jpg

Alpha Sierra
01-21-2020, 10:23 AM

It would help to understand the sport before taking a crap all over it.

runcible
01-21-2020, 12:01 PM
Y'know, with some straight-forward modifications one could mount a PEQ or DBAL to that rail and have a hell of a troll gun.

Note to self, get that J-Frame topstrap milled so an ACRO can clamp directly onto it...

hufnagel
01-21-2020, 08:20 PM
It would help to understand the sport before taking a crap all over it.

Technically, i'm crapping on everything/everyone involved.

Bigghoss
01-24-2020, 10:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5u9k9qq2-o

hufnagel
01-24-2020, 11:08 AM
Heh...
Gun Jedi doesn't shoot red dot very well. :D

Also, me having a conversation with my bank account...

https://media.giphy.com/media/cALkoAIov3Y9a/giphy.gif
https://media2.giphy.com/media/GHEuJkedWAc1O/giphy.gif

critter
01-24-2020, 07:57 PM
This is the most impressive 'innovative' design I've seen thus far on a pistol.

Amp
01-25-2020, 10:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4lvGY6x4ZI

awdxtc
01-29-2020, 11:05 AM
For $5000 I'd buy another nighthawk and $1500-$2000 in ammo. If I was gonna spend that kind of money though it wont be on another handgun.

Welder
04-02-2020, 10:57 AM
So I went on Lancer Systems' website and I saw that the initial run of 500 Aliens for US consumption is sold out; last week there were still a few available. Anybody here have one coming? Looks like it was $2500 down and $2500 due before delivery....definitely not chump change.

Wish I could be one of the few, but with everything going on these days I'm just going to have to live vicariously through whoever does end up with one. I wonder how many will get shot, and how many will go straight to safe queen status.

Welder
12-19-2020, 10:46 AM
Sounds like these will be hitting buyers' hands sometime around Christmas / New Year's, they're arriving at Lancer on Monday or Tuesday and shipping right out. Should be a bunch of YT videos on the way.

bac1023
12-19-2020, 01:04 PM
Sounds like these will be hitting buyers' hands sometime around Christmas / New Year's, they're arriving at Lancer on Monday or Tuesday and shipping right out. Should be a bunch of YT videos on the way.

I hope so. I haven’t received the phone call yet for mine.

Welder
12-19-2020, 01:08 PM
I hope so. I haven’t received the phone call yet for mine.

I've seen and admired your collection on a couple different forums. Do you plan to shoot yours?

bac1023
12-19-2020, 01:14 PM
I've seen and admired your collection on a couple different forums. Do you plan to shoot yours?

Thank you

Yes I do. It would be nice to be able to get a standard model and leave the Signature model Unfired, but God only knows of or when those will be available. I’m hearing price will be $4000+ anyway.

bac1023
12-19-2020, 01:16 PM
The funny thing is that I live 15 minutes from Lancer :)