PDA

View Full Version : $200 to spend - dry fire "kit", ammo or reloading components?

awp_101
09-28-2018, 08:47 AM
I wasn't sure where to put this since it covers several areas but this seemed to be the best fit.

I've got a little mad money put aside and instead of throwing it at yet another handgun, I decided I need to get something helpful. She Who Puts Up With Me wants me to order something from Amazon but doggone it, it's not enough for free shipping so gee whiz, I've got the Dryfire Reloaded book in the cart as well.:D

The Mantis X has been on my radar for a couple months (and I've read some of the threads here) and one of the threads I read last night suggested pairing it with a laser target (at least that's how I read it). I don't get to the range more than once a month max, more like once a quarter so being able to practice in the garage or computer room is nice. Is there a better "kit" or separate components that can be put together got $200-250 than the Mantis and laser target combo? Something I can use for general marksmanship and keeping the rust at bay with striker and hammer fired pistols.

The next option is 750-1000 rounds of 9mm because more ammo is always good. Unless you deliver for FedUp...

Finally, I can always use more reloading components. I need to get the table built and press set up but that's not important right now.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated, thanks!

beenalongtime
09-28-2018, 09:14 AM
I am the person who used the two in conjunction with one another. I find I am using the laser way more then spending the time getting the MantisX out. Lasers can be had for around $40, although personally, I do like/recommend the LaserAmmo one because of the red tip if around other people. I use a 9mm where others could possibly see me shoot, and when I am by myself, I have a Laserlyte .40 in my other gun.
I would skip the MantisX, and use the other part of your budget for either actual ammo or reloading stuff, if you want to start down that road.

Sasage
09-28-2018, 09:24 AM
Check eBay for MantisX. I bought one for around $80 used.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

ranger
09-28-2018, 09:26 AM
I voted for reloading components - that assumes you have reloading setup

RJ
09-28-2018, 11:19 AM
More ammo is never a bad idea.

In fact I need to order a case.

So I voted more ammo. :cool:

Kidding (sorta). Never tried one of those dry practice thingies. I seem to have made progress sufficiently with just my handgun so far.

My shooting sucks so bad that my initial matches in USPSA (I think I have five now) mainly involve 1) not shooting myself 2) not shooting my RSO and lastly 3) trying to put two holes in the things (and only the things) that need two holes, quickly.

GuanoLoco
09-28-2018, 12:11 PM

In fact I need to order a case.

So I voted more ammo. :cool:

Kidding (sorta). Never tried one of those dry practice thingies. I seem to have made progress sufficiently with just my handgun so far.

My shooting sucks so bad that my initial matches in USPSA (I think I have five now) mainly involve 1) not shooting myself 2) not shooting my RSO and lastly 3) trying to put two holes in the things (and only the things) that need two holes, quickly.

Do you have a proper timer? Example: Pocket Pro 2 (https://www.amazon.com/Competition-Electronics-Pocket-Timer-CEI-4700/dp/B008KMOSAI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538155964&sr=8-2&keywords=pocket+pro+2+shot+timer)

Do you have Dry Fire, Reloaded (https://www.amazon.com/DryFire-Reloaded-Ben-Stoeger/dp/1542880246/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538155841&sr=8-1&keywords=ben+stoeger+dry+fire+reloaded), and some Dry Fire Targets (https://benstoegerproshop.com/scaled-dryfire-target-kit-including-uspsa-metric-targets-poppers-mini-poppers-and-dots/?gclid=CjwKCAjworfdBRA7EiwAKX9HeK2PEIqqmlMFAzfsMwL DqnEJTKxd2oT-lC4zrglD6NNkVpiUV7YjoxoC52MQAvD_BwE) (relatively inexpensive)

Do you have a Dry Fire Practice Schedule?

Training, Self-Directed Learning and Purposeful practice, starting with Dry Fire, then Live Fire validation of Dry Fire results will yield the largest benefit.

Geegaws like Mantis, (speaking generically, I've never used one) Laser Systems, etc. are vastly inferior to the above.

At some point you need ammo to practice, and a place where you can practice appropriately (not a lane at an indoor range). Getting more ammo to practice with, cheaper is never a bad plan but you won't get much value from it if you haven't laid the right foundation to maximize value from the expenditure.

SecondsCount
09-28-2018, 12:26 PM
I voted reloading components but if time is an issue, buy ammo. Nothing can replace live fire.

Buy two of the same guns and stick with them until you are at least in the top 5 of your division in USPSA.

Get training from a good USPSA shooter that can show you what you need improvement on, and shoot at least 3-4 times a month.

HCM
09-28-2018, 12:38 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this since it covers several areas but this seemed to be the best fit.

I've got a little mad money put aside and instead of throwing it at yet another handgun, I decided I need to get something helpful. She Who Puts Up With Me wants me to order something from Amazon but doggone it, it's not enough for free shipping so gee whiz, I've got the Dryfire Reloaded book in the cart as well.:D

The Mantis X has been on my radar for a couple months (and I've read some of the threads here) and one of the threads I read last night suggested pairing it with a laser target (at least that's how I read it). I don't get to the range more than once a month max, more like once a quarter so being able to practice in the garage or computer room is nice. Is there a better "kit" or separate components that can be put together got $200-250 than the Mantis and laser target combo? Something I can use for general marksmanship and keeping the rust at bay with striker and hammer fired pistols.

The next option is 750-1000 rounds of 9mm because more ammo is always good. Unless you deliver for FedUp...

Finally, I can always use more reloading components. I need to get the table built and press set up but that's not important right now.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated, thanks!

I recommend the Mantis because it fills the opportunity gap between your monthly range trips.

The mantis provides feed back on your phone via the app so I would definitely do the Mantis over a laser target. If you have $ left I would definitely buy a shot timer over a laser target.

The only real limitation on the mat is is you are restricted to pistols and rifles with a rail.

theJanitor
09-28-2018, 12:49 PM
I recommend the Mantis because it fills the opportunity gap between your monthly range trips.

The mantis provides feed back on your phone via the app so I would definitely do the Mantis over a laser target. If you have $ left I would definitely buy a shot timer over a laser target.

The only real limitation on the mat is is you are restricted to pistols and rifles with a rail.

Mantis also offers some magazine baseplate adapters. I have the Glock and the 1911 adapter. It allows the gun to fit in holsters, and you can practice draws, or use the system on guns without rails

https://mantisx.com/collections/all

A big part of the Mantis is that you can network with other matis users, by creating user-groups. Finding dry-fire motivation can sometimes be hard, but having other people that you can follow, and follow you keeps peer-pressure both high, and positive. It's some of the best money I've spent on shooting related stuff.

HCM
09-28-2018, 12:56 PM
Mantis also offers some magazine baseplate adapters. I have the Glock and the 1911 adapter. It allows the gun to fit in holsters, and you can practice draws, or use the system on guns without rails

https://mantisx.com/collections/all

A big part of the Mantis is that you can network with other matis users, by creating user-groups. Finding dry-fire motivation can sometimes be hard, but having other people that you can follow, and follow you keeps peer-pressure both high, and positive. It's some of the best money I've spent on shooting related stuff.

Agreed.

The ability to collect data during both dry and live fire and then compare and contrast them has been very helpful working with remedial shooters at work.

jetfire
09-28-2018, 02:56 PM
The Mantis is a gimmick designed to separate people from their money and not teach them anything they couldn’t learn with disciplined dry fire.

Buy ammo.

10mmfanboy
09-28-2018, 03:11 PM
I say buy ammo components. I get the luxury of shooting at home so I tend to blow through ammo quick. Plus it’s fun experimenting and trying to create the perfect round. Every time I get an urge to by the latest and greatest piece of kit I just dump my money into ammo components. Nothing beats actual live fire training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theJanitor
09-28-2018, 04:42 PM
The Mantis is a gimmick designed to separate people from their money and not teach them anything they couldn’t learn with disciplined dry fire.

Buy ammo.

I bought it because I'm not disciplined with my dry-fire training, and record keeping in general. Nor am I good with self-evaluation. It has been a good motivational tool for me. I've made a few grip changes that I don't think I could have figured out with two trips to the range (fees and 150 rounds of ammo costs me over $100 here), so it's paid for itself already.

How other people use and benefit from the system, is not for me to assume

jetfire
09-28-2018, 04:52 PM
I bought it because I'm not disciplined with my dry-fire training, and record keeping in general. Nor am I good with self-evaluation. It has been a good motivational tool for me. I've made a few grip changes that I don't think I could have figured out with two trips to the range (fees and 150 rounds of ammo costs me over $100 here), so it's paid for itself already.

How other people use and benefit from the system, is not for me to assume

When I’m not ranting about it, I recognize that for people at the developing end of the skill spectrum, there’s value in the MantisX because it can help with things like that. But once you get to say, USPSA B-class or so, the juice isn’t really worth the squeeze, because it’s not teaching you things you can’t self-diagnose at that point.

theJanitor
09-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Yeah. I’m about as far away from B-class as one can be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuanoLoco
09-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Have any 'experienced' shooters (USPSA A Class+ as an example) used the Mantis X and assessed it to be worthwhile vs. not worthwhile?

awp_101
09-28-2018, 05:31 PM
First off, thanks everyone for the information and contributions so far.

I don't compete and have only a minimal interest due to time and budget constraints but I AM interested in improving as much as I can from a concealed carry perspective.

I'm one of those who have shot for years (over 30) but I'm just now starting out on the road of being a shooter as opposed to someone just blasting rounds down range. I can tack a target to my wall and dry fire at it all day but other than smoothing out the trigger and working out my trigger finger, I don't get a lot of other benefit I can make use of because I don't know what it's telling me. As DocGKR says, "facts matter, feelings lie". I THINK this is where something like the Mantis or laser target would provide the feedback I need until I can make the next range trip.

GuanoLoco
09-28-2018, 06:07 PM
First off, thanks everyone for the information and contributions so far.

I don't compete and have only a minimal interest due to time and budget constraints but I AM interested in improving as much as I can from a concealed carry perspective.

I'm one of those who have shot for years (over 30) but I'm just now starting out on the road of being a shooter as opposed to someone just blasting rounds down range. I can tack a target to my wall and dry fire at it all day but other than smoothing out the trigger and working out my trigger finger, I don't get a lot of other benefit I can make use of because I don't know what it's telling me. As DocGKR says, "facts matter, feelings lie". I THINK this is where something like the Mantis or laser target would provide the feedback I need until I can make the next range trip.

I’d suggest that you don’t know what modern dry fire is and can do.

Example: Try doing well on the Gabe White Standards or the FAST drill oe an El Presidente drill or whatever without dry fire, and with a constrained ammo budget. Compare results to somene who understands what dry fire is and can be.

RJ
09-28-2018, 07:38 PM
Get training from a good USPSA shooter that can show you what you need improvement on, and shoot at least 3-4 times a month.

I’m spending the weekend with this Dood. I hear he can shoot. :cool:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27045-Pistol-Shooting-Solutions-w-Gabe-White-Lakeland-FL-September-29th-and-30th-2018

RJ
09-28-2018, 07:50 PM
Do you have a proper timer? Example: Pocket Pro 2 (https://www.amazon.com/Competition-Electronics-Pocket-Timer-CEI-4700/dp/B008KMOSAI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538155964&sr=8-2&keywords=pocket+pro+2+shot+timer)

Do you have Dry Fire, Reloaded (https://www.amazon.com/DryFire-Reloaded-Ben-Stoeger/dp/1542880246/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538155841&sr=8-1&keywords=ben+stoeger+dry+fire+reloaded), and some Dry Fire Targets (https://benstoegerproshop.com/scaled-dryfire-target-kit-including-uspsa-metric-targets-poppers-mini-poppers-and-dots/?gclid=CjwKCAjworfdBRA7EiwAKX9HeK2PEIqqmlMFAzfsMwL DqnEJTKxd2oT-lC4zrglD6NNkVpiUV7YjoxoC52MQAvD_BwE) (relatively inexpensive)

Thanks for the feedback.

I perhaps wasn’t clear. I meant, I do my Dry Practice with my pistols, mainly my G19.5. Not with a separate training device.

But I try and fit it in around life. It does not come first, second or third. I’m ok with that.

Timer - Yes, a PocketPro 2.

Stoeger’s books - I have skills and drills and Practical Pistol (reloaded). I’ll look into HMFIC’s Dry Practice Book. That looks interesting.

When I said I suck at USPSA, I meant I just made it into D class at 32%. On the other hand, I’m 59 and can’t see the front sights real well. I’ve also never had any specific instruction except for a Tom Givens class and a Frank Proctor 1 day last summer.

Tomorrow I’m heading to Lakeland FL to spend two days with Gabe. I hope to learn a lot.

GuanoLoco
09-28-2018, 07:51 PM
I hope you enjoy the class as much as I did.

RJ
09-28-2018, 08:03 PM
I hope you enjoy the class as much as I did.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I plan to. I have no illusions about pins or what not, but I plan to listen a lot and try and internalize the feedback. Plus I will have a set of objective metrics as a baseline going forward.

The class is coming at a good time for me, as I’m trying to refactor my Dry Practice regimen anyway. I’ve put my current thoughts into my Training Journal and plan to relook at it after the class.

After that I plan to reboot my program with an overarching goal of making C class in my next five Classifiers (plus have fun in matches of course.). Since it’s about to go into Winter here in FL, my match frequency will go up since it won’t be REALLY FREAKING HOT out from Oct-Apr.

HopetonBrown
09-28-2018, 08:22 PM
Does the OP have a shot timer? I'd bet not. Get one of those, either a Pocket Pro 2 or Pact Club Timer III.

edison
09-28-2018, 08:50 PM
What gun is the OP using?

awp_101
09-28-2018, 11:08 PM
I’d suggest that you don’t know what modern dry fire is and can do.
And you’d be correct which is why I’m asking questions. I don’t know what I don’t know but I do know that what I thought I knew is quite possibly wrong, outdated or both.

I’ve got Stoeger’s Dryfire Reloaded and Skills and Drills ready to be ordered this weekend. Maybe even the combo pack that includes the reduced size targets because why not. Rich_Jenkins, which dry practice book are you considering?

No shot timer yet. Been waiting to see the new product that’s been teased in the Gear forum (IIRC).

Initially most practice will be done with a Shield and possibly an M&P9c.

GuanoLoco
09-28-2018, 11:55 PM
Good for you.

Nothing is free here. many small, regular sessions are better than excessively long sessions where you lose focus. And you can hurt yourself - tendinitis, cuts, blisters - be careful.

Think of it like learning to play a musical instrument. It takes time, repetition and persistence. What can happen though is the development of myelin, or so-called “muscle memory”. With practice, things like draws, indexed sight pictures, driving the sights to any spot you look at, transitions, reloads, movement etc. can become smooth, efficient, and fast.

By testing your newfound dry fire skils in live fire exercises, you can slowly learn to weed out the ways in which you may cheat your dry fire. Things like a weak grip, poor trigger pull, or sloppy sight picture suddenly become apparent when you test in live fire, and this learning can be fed back in to your dry fire.

NILIF - Nothing In Life Is Free. But improvement will be yours if you take the time to learn ... how to learn and then practice with purpose.

HCM
09-29-2018, 11:34 AM
And you’d be correct which is why I’m asking questions. I don’t know what I don’t know but I do know that what I thought I knew is quite possibly wrong, outdated or both.

I’ve got Stoeger’s Dryfire Reloaded and Skills and Drills ready to be ordered this weekend. Maybe even the combo pack that includes the reduced size targets because why not. Rich_Jenkins, which dry practice book are you considering?

No shot timer yet. Been waiting to see the new product that’s been teased in the Gear forum (IIRC).

Initially most practice will be done with a Shield and possibly an M&P9c.

Don’t wait on the shot timer.

Buy one now - upgrade later.

Buy via brownells for the warranty.

Cheap Shot
09-29-2018, 01:00 PM
http://timer.dryfire.ninja/

Thats the timer I use for DF loaded on a laptop.

DF reloaded is great. Steve Andersons book is good but dont think you need both at this point. Seeklanders book is extremely comprehensive but overwhelmed me.

Bens books and DF kit plus the above timer app are a great start to DF.

This is a DF safety routine thats helped me.
1. I have a dedicated DF pistol when possible.
2. DF gear is stored separately from EDC and other firearms.
3. I triple check that DR gun is unloaded before starting every DF practice.
3. Observe all 4 safety rules.
4. I've got one dummy mag and two other mags loaded with dummy rounds dedicated for DF.

Agree that timer for LF very helpful tool. Anything you pick up along the way please share. I'm still learning and got a long way to go.

Have fun!

awp_101
09-29-2018, 03:04 PM
Ok, Dry Fire Reloaded is ordered! I spent a couple hours listening to his podcast yesterday but I can’t say I got anything out of it yet besides a few chuckles. Then again, it may only be geared to comp shooters and I’m not getting the info being presented?

Nothing is free here. many small, regular sessions are better than excessively long sessions where you lose focus. And you can hurt yourself - tendinitis, cuts, blisters - be careful
The plan right now is 15-20 minutes each evening. My wife goes to bed before I do so I’ve usually got an hour or more to myself each evening. I’ve already got carpal tunnel and tendinitis and my hands stay torn up from work so it’l Be what it’ll be.:D

Don’t wait on the shot timer.

Buy one now - upgrade later.

Buy via brownells for the warranty.
Thanks for the reminder about the Brownell’s warranty!

http://timer.dryfire.ninja/

Thats the timer I use for DF loaded on a laptop.

DF reloaded is great.

Anything you pick up along the way please share. I'm still learning and got a long way to go.

Have fun!
Thanks, I plan to and if I learn anything earth shattering I’ll pass it along!

JR1572
09-29-2018, 08:49 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/fc4f5567242f1cbee0fd307818201757.jpg

The top is my duty gun, the bottom is my dry fire gun.

I have the ability to practice dry firing in my backyard up to 25 yards, which is the maximum distance for our qualification.

GuanoLoco
09-29-2018, 09:36 PM
Full scale practice beats scale-down practice, but you have to make do with what is available.

nwhpfan
09-30-2018, 01:10 PM

Training, Self-Directed Learning and Purposeful practice, starting with Dry Fire, then Live Fire validation of Dry Fire results will yield the largest benefit.

Geegaws like Mantis, (speaking generically, I've never used one) Laser Systems, etc. are vastly inferior to the above.

At some point you need ammo to practice, and a place where you can practice appropriately (not a lane at an indoor range). Getting more ammo to practice with, cheaper is never a bad plan but you won't get much value from it if you haven't laid the right foundation to maximize value from the expenditure.

It's all about the dry fire. Timer, targets, and a book.

GuanoLoco
09-30-2018, 08:52 PM
I think I shoot OK (USPSA A Class for reference), but not nearly as good as nwhpfan.

Interesting observation today shooting the FAST drill (https://pistol-training.com/drills/the-fast). I'll admit I've been shooting it "lazy" in dry/live fire without the slide lock reload, but my point will stand:

About a week ago I was dry firing this drill. I hadn't shot it from concealment in a long time, and I had all new gear - gun, AIWB holster & mag pouch. After a couple of evenings I was hitting a best case par time of 4.20s. No, you won't easily be matching this as someone new to dry fire.

Today I was shooting the same gear, same drill in live fire. My best run for the day was 4.41s clean. That's only 5% slower than my best dry fire runs which, by definition, could not include recoil.

Doing Dry Fire correctly WORKS. It takes a fair amount of effort to learn how to do it well. It took a long time before my dry fire was "honest" enough so that my live fire times and accuracy started looking like by dry fire times.

JAD
09-30-2018, 09:00 PM
Does the OP have a shot timer? I'd bet not. Get one of those, either a Pocket Pro 2 or Pact Club Timer III.
I found that using a timer slowed my shooting way down.

GuanoLoco
09-30-2018, 09:39 PM
I found that using a timer slowed my shooting way down.

I don't understand your point. :confused:

awp_101
09-30-2018, 09:49 PM
Interesting observation today shooting the FAST drill (https://pistol-training.com/drills/the-fast). I'll admit I've been shooting it "lazy" in dry/live fire without the slide lock reload, but my point will stand:

About a week ago I was dry firing this drill. I hadn't shot it from concealment in a long time, and I had all new gear - gun, AIWB holster & mag pouch. After a couple of evenings I was hitting a best case par time of 4.20s. No, you won't easily be matching this as someone new to dry fire.

Are you not doing the reload at all or just not doing it from slide lock? If you're using a striker fired pistol, how are you resetting the trigger in dry fire? One of those dry fire mags?

nwhpfan
09-30-2018, 09:57 PM
Are you not doing the reload at all or just not doing it from slide lock? If you're using a striker fired pistol, how are you resetting the trigger in dry fire? One of those dry fire mags?

There is a couple different ways to do this.

There is the take it out of battery version...where you put the slightest amount of tape or something on the breach face. It's not an actual trigger pull but you'll be able to actuate the trigger.

There is the - you only get one real pull, then you slap your finger on a dead trigger.

Finally there is the dry-fire magazines which I know nothing about...

I did the 1 real pull and slap a dead trigger. I think I'm just one of many, many, real life examples of B class to winning matches inside of 6 weeks of dry fire. So much of performance is in gun handling anyway. And for me, dry fire was a near inoculation of recoil, sound, flash, etc. Taught me to focus on the only two things that matter. Pointing the gun to the right spot and pulling the trigger without disrupting the aim.

GuanoLoco
09-30-2018, 10:02 PM

I was doing the reload, I had just forgotten to do a slide lock reload in live fire.

JohnO
10-01-2018, 07:09 AM
If I were questioning what to do:

Get a case of 9mm. Dedicate that case specifically to ammo earned through dedicated dry fire on a regular basis. Establish a ratio Dry/Live you can live with 25/1, 50/1, 100/1 ... and stick to it. Also purchase a 100 pack of NRA B-8 repair centers. Earn yourself 20 rounds a week. Shoot two 10 round strings @ 25 yards each on a fresh B-8 and save them. Track your progress.

Watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfARgCqWCvQ

Follow the suggestion and you will see significant improvement over time. And like the Sergeant said it will be the Dry Fire and your laser focus on the process that will create the improvement. Refer back to the video over time. Make sure you are internalizing the advice.

Not everyone can get to the range on a dedicated regular basis. If that is the case don't go with 20 + XX you earned because you won't get the proper benefit.

RJ
10-01-2018, 10:59 AM
It's all about the dry fire. Timer, targets, and a book.

This in a nutshell is what Gabe told us this weekend. Either Stoeger's or Anderson's (hope I have the name right) materials were ok.

I'm going to get the Stoeger set (Book, Targets) soon, only because I like his Practical Pistol Reloaded book.

i'm also going to use Gabe's suggested Dry Practice drills; I used them in class Saturday and there was a noticeable (ok, bear in mind that I suck) improvement in my hits at speed. Especially of course when I used those bumpy things on the top of the slide.

jetfire
10-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Doing Dry Fire correctly WORKS. It takes a fair amount of effort to learn how to do it well. It took a long time before my dry fire was "honest" enough so that my live fire times and accuracy started looking like by dry fire times.

The “correctly” part is the hard part for a lot of people, I think. It’s easy to lazily dry fire, it’s hard to be honest with yourself when a rep was shit. I still struggle with the temptation of “well that was good enough” even if I know I didn’t have my sights or my grip was fucky or whatever.

But when done correctly, it really works. Back from 2011-2014 I was a sponsored shooter and I rarely dry fired because I had free ammo, and I got pretty decent, knocking on the door of USPSA Master. Since 2014 I’ve hardly shot because I have been really busy. So this year I got back on a regular dry fire program, coupled with a once a week range session. Working fundamentals 3-4 days a week in dry fire with a 200-250 round focused range session each week all of a sudden has me shooting 4.55 FAST drills again, and I’m all “shit wait when did that happen.”

awp_101
10-01-2018, 08:14 PM
I was doing the reload, I had just forgotten to do a slide lock reload in live fire.
Understood, thanks!

nwhpfan thanks I didn't know about the tape on the breech trick. I was thinking the trigger had to be reset for each "shot" for the practice to be effective and I just proved to myself it didn't. I just realized I push left when pulling the trigger on the Shield and it only gets uglier from there... I hadn't considered taking the sound and fury out of the equation either.

JohnO, thanks I'll watch that video in a bit.

GuanoLoco
10-01-2018, 10:20 PM
I like using a tie wrap. Cut off part of the clasp so there is just an “L” shape at the end. Run the arm of the L down the barrel and use the bottom of the L between the barreel and the breech face. Simple, easy, reliable, doesn’t move around or get in the way of te sights.

Gio
10-03-2018, 11:22 AM
I agree with others to spend your money on ammo/reloading components.

All of the dry fire aids/trainers are gimmicks in my experience. I would not use a SIRT over your actual pistol unless you are training force on force. As a dry fire tool, the SIRT is no bueno for the majority of dry fire. It will significantly diminish your ability to call your shots in live fire. I like the SIRT for diagnosing trigger issues on new or struggling shooters or for training shooting on the move.

If you're shooting a Glock, another trick to get the trigger to move is to use a cut off piece of a thick rubber band (the kind used around stocks of broccoli). Cut it into about a 3/4" length and insert it in the breach face. You can insert it flush with the top of the slide so it doesn't obscure your sights.

deputyG23
10-11-2018, 07:22 AM
I voted for ammo. If you had your press set up and ready to go, I probably would have voted for components even though 9mm is now to the point of offering diminishing returns for the time expended to reload unless a well run progressive loader is employed.