PDA

View Full Version : Trade into a Beretta 92A1

Steve m
09-27-2018, 08:40 AM
Good Morning to all,

Looking for some helpful info. I have the opportunity to trade into a beretta 92a1. I am have looked it over, it is on great shape, very clean little to know wear marks. The original owner traded it for a 1911. Now to my questions, I primarily shoot glocks, looking to try the DA/SA gun route. What upgrades should I consider for this pistol. Below are some that I am considering.

LTT trigger job in bag.
Converting it to a decocker only.
LTT slim grips
Fiber optic front. (Don't know the dovetail size, for the 92A1)
New Flat black rear
*Note, the rear and front mimic my current glock set-up
What are my options for getting rid of the lanyard loop?

Thanks
Steve

Matt O
09-27-2018, 08:50 AM
Wilson Combat has a variety of fiber, tritium or all black front/rear sights (https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Sights/products/702/) that work on the 92A1. Lanyard loop can be replaced with a flat mainspring housing cap or the very nice Wilson Combat mag guide (https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Mag-Guide-Beretta-Compact/productinfo/764/).

The primary issue with the stock 92A1 is the lack of a beveled magwell. If that's no concern to you then no worries. If that is a priority, I'd advise looking at either an M9A3 for $800ish, or the excellent 92 LTT for right at $1k.

Steve m
09-27-2018, 08:54 AM
Matt,

Thanks for the info.

spinmove_
09-27-2018, 08:56 AM
I’d personally hold off on the TJIB and simply install the D hammer spring for starters.

Definitely G conversion.

If fiber is your deal, go nuts, but I’d probably pair it with the Pepperoni rear sight from Wilson Combat.

The LTT thin grips aren’t bad. Have you shot it much with the standard grips?

Given my average sized hands with somewhat short fingers, I like the oversized magazine release from Beretta.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

medmo
09-27-2018, 08:59 AM
The Wilson Combat magazine guide works nicely replacing the lanyard loop. It replaces the loop with a functional magazine guide aiding smooth magazine changes. I like the Ameriglo orange tritium front sight and Wilson Combat black combat rear, (both orderable from LTT website). Also, LTT G10 thin grips.

I really like the look of bbls trimmed to 4.7” with a recessed crown. Wilson Combat will perform the service for $60 and I’m considering sending off a bbl.

Bigghoss
09-27-2018, 10:28 AM
Good Morning to all,

Looking for some helpful info. I have the opportunity to trade into a beretta 92a1. I am have looked it over, it is on great shape, very clean little to know wear marks. The original owner traded it for a 1911. Now to my questions, I primarily shoot glocks, looking to try the DA/SA gun route. What upgrades should I consider for this pistol. Below are some that I am considering.

LTT trigger job in bag.
Converting it to a decocker only.
LTT slim grips
Fiber optic front. (Don't know the dovetail size, for the 92A1)
New Flat black rear
*Note, the rear and front mimic my current glock set-up
What are my options for getting rid of the lanyard loop?

Thanks
Steve

If you want to dip your toe in just buy the gun, black out the rear sight, paint the front dot orange, and order a 14# hammer spring from LangdonTactical.com. Don't go crazy right off the bat, play with it some first. If you don't have trouble reaching the trigger or don't feel that the gun it too big for you then you may find the ultra thin grips to be too small. If they fit your hand though, they're awesome.

Steve m
09-27-2018, 12:43 PM
What poundage is the recommended for the recoil spring, i shoot mainly WWB target ammo, and Speer gold dot for carry. I was looking at the wilson combat spring sets. Duty and competition.

nwhpfan
09-27-2018, 01:05 PM
The first recommendation is a lot of ammo and a lot of dry fire. I like a sight profile of a red dot and black rears…but I can make do with a sharpie and orange fingernail polish. At least until I really how I feel about a gun. The grips, you might want the stock grips. And any friction issues can be solved with skateboard tape. Same with the decocker. If it’s a range gun; who cares. And tactically there is an argument both ways about being able to put it on safe vs. always ready to fire. Just say’n.

I would say absolutely get reduced springs. No need to shoot what is usually an unnecessary too heavy trigger. After you shoot it a lot you'l know.If you need thinner grips…get them. If you’re ready to move up on sights, get them. Searching for 92A1 sights is probably all you need to know to find right options.

Canyonrat
09-27-2018, 03:35 PM
Congrats, 92A1 is a great pistol. Mine has just recently got a #13 hammer spring off LTT website, G-decock-only kit, and LTT thin grips. A TJIAB is still in its box waiting for me to dig in. I've kept stock sights and it is a highly accurate gun but can see swapping for personal preference.

The hammer spring alone made a huge difference in DA pull especially. Much softer and a little smoother, but not to the level of an LTT TJIAB. I have huge hands but still prefer the LTT grips, so I think that is another personal preference item unless you struggle with stock ones. I do have metal parts I'm putting on for recoil rod (still the captured one) trigger and mag release button, all ordered from LTT. Of those three I think the extended mag release will be the only functional difference, I just got it because I wanted metal parts on my "metal guns". Enjoy your 92A1, they are beautiful.