PDA

View Full Version : HK VP40 Update

JonInWA
09-23-2018, 05:31 PM
After spending the majority of 2017/2018 to date with my HK P30L with V1 Light LEM and my upgraded Beretta 92D DAO, this month I campaigned my Gen4 G22 and HK VP40 in IDPA matches. I performed adequately with the Gen4 G22, but had one of, if not the best personal IDPA match performance of 2018 with the VP40 yesterday.

The heavy-slided VP40 does a superb job of taming the .40, and the gun just flat-out balances beautifully, which pays some huge benefits particularly in strong- hand and weak-hand shooting. The deeper-than-P30 tang helps here too, as does empirically sorting out the best backstrap and side panel configurations for you as an individual.

Mine has the Meprolight tritium sights, which give a very usable day and night sight picture, particularly given the decent amount of light bars between front and rear sights when aligned. Ergonomically, the VP provides for an exceptional natural index and control throughout the shooting process. The "comma/dot" stippling pattern on the grip area seems to provide a more than adequate gripping surface, despite the slightly grippier "sandpaper" texture on the P30's grip areas; the VP pattern is less "grabby" on garments as well; I like both textures, but particularly for concealed carry the VP texture is slightly preferable to me.

What don't I like?

Well, the HK trigger break is perceptually softer than that of a Glock, and the reset is a bit longer. The shorter triggerpull distance combined with the soft break characteristics has me very carefully assessing the VP as a duty/threat management pistol; it's clearly eminently shootable, but I'm still a bit wary for duty use. I may try to contact the Phenix City, Alabama PD, who actually issue the VP40 and see what their experience and feedback has been, as they've had it as duty-issue for over a year at this point.

The VP lower is particularly complex, especially compared to a Glock; there are some 63 individual components that comprise the VP, compared to some 52 for the hammer-fired P30 and around 34 for a Glock. HKs in general, and the VP specifically are exceptionally well architected and manufactured, with high-quality components, but that's a lot of working parts for a SFA pistol. Other than field-stripping, and possibly disassembling the slide, for me, it'll be an HK Armorer kind of scenario for anything involving a more detailed disassembly. I'm particularly not thrilled with the trigger return spring's location and attachment, it seems vulnerable to being dislodged if you're not careful when brushing out GSR from the frame area where its located, but personally and anecdotally I haven't experienced or heard of any actual incidents of the gun being deadlined because of it (from sloppy detailed frame disasssembly/reassembly and inattention to detail in precluding it being separated from the triggerbar, yes, but from merely cleaning, no). So I'm probably needless obsessing a bit regarding it operationally.

I also wish that the Picatanny rail's forward lip did not extend beyond the muzzle line profile the way it does; it can induce re-holstering stumbles with the lip catching on the holster edges, but with my Olen holsters with their mouth profile and extended sweat guard successfully acting as a sort of re-holstering skid I've surmounted this speedbump.

A minor irritant is that to successfully separate the slide from the receiver when field-stripping, you need to concurrently push down on the slide when moving it forward off the frame after actuating the take-down lever, but in reality after you've done it successfully and remember to do it it's not a big deal.

So-another great pistol. I plan on running it in next month's IDPA match(es) to confirm my results, and then carefully assess it for suitability as a duty pistol. It is just flat-out fun to shoot, an attribute I rarely accord to a .40 pistol. I also like its user-friendly ergos, not just for myself, but also potentially for my wife, in the event that I need to hand the pistol over to her, particularly while hiking; I like the .40 as a viable wilderness defensive cartridge, as we've discussed in particular detail here on p-f (thanks, GJM).

In the past year, use-wise my VP40 took a distant second-seat to my P30L; that may change...

Best, Jon

Doc_Glock
09-23-2018, 06:31 PM
The VP9 I had was great shooting, but the grip was just enough more rectangular in the rear compared to a P30 to really irritate my thumb MP joint. I was shocked because the difference is pretty minimal.

Balisong
09-23-2018, 09:16 PM
My VP40 is quite easy to shoot and I'm fond of it. If I wasn't switching to hammer fired defense guns I'd shoot it a lot more. Every time I think of trading it out for another hammer gun... I just can't do it. Pretty sure I'll have it for a long while even though it won't get heavy use.

JonInWA
09-23-2018, 10:12 PM
The VP9 I had was great shooting, but the grip was just enough more rectangular in the rear compared to a P30 to really irritate my thumb MP joint. I was shocked because the difference is pretty minimal.

The VP40's deeper tang for me evens things out, and I think it may provide for slightly more control.

It'll be interesting to shoot them both in the same session to establish a comparison.

Best, Jon

Bucky
09-24-2018, 05:52 AM
Were you using factory .40 ammo?

When I was going through my HK phase, I went from a P30L to a VP9, very briefly. I felt the VP9 kicked worse than the P30L, and didn’t like the placement of the slide release (I have the shorter release on my P30).

Good to hear the VP40 is working out for you.

JonInWA
09-24-2018, 07:28 AM
Were you using factory .40 ammo?

When I was going through my HK phase, I went from a P30L to a VP9, very briefly. I felt the VP9 kicked worse than the P30L, and didn’t like the placement of the slide release (I have the shorter release on my P30).

Good to hear the VP40 is working out for you.

I only shoot factory ammunition in all of my guns. With the VP40 at the match, I preponderantly shot Sellier & Bellot 180 gr FMJ, but also some Blazer Brass 165 gr. Zero issues with either, and while I haven't chrono'ed with either, the S&B has a reputation of being on the warm-ish side.

The P slide release shelf is not as protrusive or as extended as the P30's, and initially was a cause of some concern on my part, as I normally use the slide stop/release as a slide release when reloading from slidelock, but in reality the part has caused no issues when utilized as a slide release-it's just large enough. It's a stamped component, and does look "cheap" compared to the P30's more massive release, but that's an aesthetic, not an operational concern, it's perfectly viable (from both sides) in actual use.

Best, Jon

Bucky
09-24-2018, 07:50 AM
I only shoot factory ammunition in all of my guns. With the VP40 at the match, I preponderantly shot Sellier & Bellot 180 gr FMJ, but also some Blazer Brass 165 gr. Zero issues with either, and while I haven't chrono'ed with either, the S&B has a reputation of being on the warm-ish side.

The P slide release shelf is not as protrusive or as extended as the P30's, and initially was a cause of some concern on my part, as I normally use the slide stop/release as a slide release when reloading from slidelock, but in reality the part has caused no issues when utilized as a slide release-it's just large enough. It's a stamped component, and does look "cheap" compared to the P30's more massive release, but that's an aesthetic, not an operational concern, it's perfectly viable (from both sides) in actual use.

Best, Jon

Very cool shooting full power loads in IDPA. Hats off to you.

I should have mentioned, I replaced the slide stop on my P30L with that of a P30S. The "safety" model has a shorter slide stop, very similar to that of a 1911. Even with the factory slide stop, I tended to have less issues than I did with my VP9, but the shorter slide stop ensured no failures to lock back due to inadvertently riding it.

Tom Duffy
09-24-2018, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the write up, Jon. I wonder how you would do with a 9mm VP instead of .40? We used to think nothing of shooting .38 wadcutters for practice/qualification and switch to more powerful rounds for duty.

JonInWA
09-24-2018, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the write up, Jon. I wonder how you would do with a 9mm VP instead of .40? We used to think nothing of shooting .38 wadcutters for practice/qualification and switch to more powerful rounds for duty.

Tom, I suspect I be a bit faster with the 9mm VP9. Even with the heavier slide of the VP40, from another test that I read where the writer had a VP9 and then tested the VP40, she found the VP40 to be a bit more effort to shoot fast and accurately, where the 9mm VP9 was a significantly more effortless proposition. Here's the review (which I thought was objective and pretty well written):
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/10/daniel-zimmerman/gun-review-hk-vp40/

That said, I'm pretty committed to the VP40, and haven't come up with a truly compelling reason to concurrently purchase a VP9 (unless it was something my wife wanted). The VP40 nicely tames the .40, and I like the combination of the VP40 and the .40 cartridge for hiking (as well as for urban defensive needs). For more serious wilderness trips, I would go the Glock route, either with my Glock Gen4 G22 in .40 or my G21 in .45 ACP, if only because the Glocks are significantly easier to do a detailed disassembly if ever needed in the field (e.g., if the entire gun was ever immersed in mud or water and the internal components needed to be cleaned and dried).

While I've never actually NEEDED to do such a detailed disassembly in the field, Mr. Murphy's head tends to pop up when you are far away from a clean workstation and/or higher echelon support....

Best, Jon

JonInWA
09-24-2018, 11:58 AM
A minor thing that bugs me about the VP series is I'm truly scratching my head as to why HK decided to name the series "VP" for the US market, and "SFP" in Germany. The most frequent answer that I've seen is that "VP" stands for "Volks Pistole," or "People's Pistol," or "Value Pistol" conjuring up the images of desperately cobbled-up, last-ditch dirt cheap and easy to manufacture German pistols of questionable functionality, durability and reliability produced in the last gasps of the Third Reich. It's almost as if HK is disdainfully turning up their noses at the stench of having to make a pistol if not specifically aimed for, at least market-priced in competition with what they perceive to be mass-market pistols for the lowly plebeian masses-i.e., those whiny Americans bubbas (ok, Hans, will give 'em what they want and price it accordingly so they'll buy it to go with their jacked-up pickup trucks for the mud races, but we'll name it so the TRUE HK cognoscenti will know that it's our other pistols that have The Moral High Ground). (But for other TRUE HK users that we're marketing to and hope to win contracts from we'll give it a much more professional name-the SFP, or Striker-Fired Pistol...) A small part of me really wishes that HK had just named the darn things "SFP 9" or "SFP 40" and called it good....

Ironically, my understanding is that the VP9 slides are a bit heavier and more durable than the SFP slides, as those foolish Amerikiners are more predisposed to firing +P cartridges...

I'm not sure if the VP40 is significantly marketed anywhere else but for the US market, but it is on HK's German/European website as the "SFP40."

Ok, rant off. HK loves us, and we don't suck.

Best, Jon

Wondering Beard
09-24-2018, 03:37 PM
A minor thing that bugs me about the VP series is I'm truly scratching my head as to why HK decided to name the series "VP" for the US market, and "SFP" in Germany. The most frequent answer that I've seen is that "VP" stands for "Volks Pistole," or "People's Pistol," or "Value Pistol" conjuring up the images of desperately cobbled-up, last-ditch dirt cheap and easy to manufacture German pistols of questionable functionality, durability and reliability produced in the last gasps of the Third Reich. It's almost as if HK is disdainfully turning up their noses at the stench of having to make a pistol if not specifically aimed for, at least market-priced in competition with what they perceive to be mass-market pistols for the lowly plebeian masses-i.e., those whiny Americans bubbas (ok, Hans, will give 'em what they want and price it accordingly so they'll buy it to go with their jacked-up pickup trucks for the mud races, but we'll name it so the TRUE HK cognoscenti will know that it's our other pistols that have The Moral High Ground). (But for other TRUE HK users that we're marketing to and hope to win contracts from we'll give it a much more professional name-the SFP, or Striker-Fired Pistol...) A small part of me really wishes that HK had just named the darn things "SFP 9" or "SFP 40" and called it good....

The operative words here are: Third Reich.

To the best of my understanding, anything that too easily reminds Germans of the Third Reich is just a no go. It has nothing to do with "value pistol", price point (I really don't like that term), bubbas, class disdain, or anything of the kind. Quite the contrary, I've gotten to understand that HK was quite proud of having produced a high quality, comparatively inexpensive pistol for the low brow and high brow American market. It's just that 'Volks Pistole', as a name, is too much of a reminder of Germany's nazi past to be marketable in Europe.

If someone knows better, don't hesitate to correct me :-)

Mjolnir
09-24-2018, 07:33 PM
The operative words here are: Third Reich.

To the best of my understanding, anything that too easily reminds Germans of the Third Reich is just a no go. It has nothing to do with "value pistol", price point (I really don't like that term), bubbas, class disdain, or anything of the kind. Quite the contrary, I've gotten to understand that HK was quite proud of having produced a high quality, comparatively inexpensive pistol for the low brow and high brow American market. It's just that 'Volks Pistole', as a name, is too much of a reminder of Germany's nazi past to be marketable in Europe.

If someone knows better, don't hesitate to correct me :-)

The Euros need to move to the 21st century. None of those nations have bloodless hands (and neither do we, for that matter).

They purchase Volkswagens so they really should not complain about a “Volks Pistole”. They also buy Bayerische Motoren Werke and Porsche, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Balisong
09-25-2018, 06:12 PM
Ironically, my understanding is that the VP9 slides are a bit heavier and more durable than the SFP slides, as those foolish Amerikiners are more predisposed to firing +P cartridges...

Best, Jon

This is the first I've heard this. Very interesting, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Wouldn't that mean running 2 entirely different assembly lines/machines for the slides of each? I would think it'd be way more cost effective to just make the heavier slide version and call it good.

JonInWA
09-26-2018, 07:22 AM
This is the first I've heard this. Very interesting, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Wouldn't that mean running 2 entirely different assembly lines/machines for the slides of each? I would think it'd be way more cost effective to just make the heavier slide version and call it good.

Yes, apparently HK does exactly that. There are a couple of other subtle differences between the VP 9 and the SFP9, and the SFP9 is available in several more variations, including with a manual safety.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-reference-library/416322-vp9-sfp9-what-differences-between-these-two-models.html

So the VP9 is a stronger/probably more durable pistol, but given the platform's relatively soft triggerpull, that manual safety might be a nice option, particularly for duty/threat management use.

And yes, I still prefer the "SFP" designation over "VP"....

The weight differences between the two is also verifiable by HK's published information on their websites and catalogs. Unlike the VP9/SFP9, the VP40 and the SFP40 appear to be identical pistols, other than their designations.

Best, Jon

raks
09-26-2018, 02:41 PM
I had read that the VP/SFP naming is because there is already a VP9 pistol in Germany. It's for veterinary use and is produced by Brugger & Thomet - http://modernfirearms.net/en/handguns/handguns-en/switzerland-semi-automatic-pistols/bt-vp-9-eng/

Balisong
09-26-2018, 07:07 PM
Yes, apparently HK does exactly that. There are a couple of other subtle differences between the VP 9 and the SFP9, and the SFP9 is available in several more variations, including with a manual safety.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-reference-library/416322-vp9-sfp9-what-differences-between-these-two-models.html

So the VP9 is a stronger/probably more durable pistol, but given the platform's relatively soft triggerpull, that manual safety might be a nice option, particularly for duty/threat management use.

And yes, I still prefer the "SFP" designation over "VP"....

The weight differences between the two is also verifiable by HK's published information on their websites and catalogs. Unlike the VP9/SFP9, the VP40 and the SFP40 appear to be identical pistols, other than their designations.

Best, Jon

Man, that is crazy to me that they do that for such similar pistols! That has to cost them an insane amount of money vs doing just one slide or the other. But I agree that a thumb safety is not necessarily a bad idea on that gun. If a Gadget was possible I'd seriously consider it for an EDC gun.

MGW
09-26-2018, 09:36 PM
Someone refresh my memory. Is the VP9/40 a fully tensioned striker?

Doc_Glock
09-26-2018, 10:28 PM
Someone refresh my memory. Is the VP9/40 a fully tensioned striker?

Fully tensioned.

JonInWA
04-22-2019, 12:20 PM
New minor update: Recently, HK Customer Service was exceptionally helpful in getting for me the proper-sized OD Green (to commemorate my Army career) side panels for my VP40. I like it, it provides a tasteful and meaningful cosmetic upgrade for me. Arguably gun Barbie-ish, but hey, it's my gun...That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The ultimate backstrap and side-panel configuration that I empirically worked my way into on both my VP40 and P30L consist of the Small backstrap, Large left grip panel, and Small right grip panel. That provides for the best index, ergonomics and accuracy for me with both pistols.

Best, Jon
https://i.imgur.com/bSlm2ah.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cFYyrfV.jpg

Balisong
04-22-2019, 02:22 PM
Man that's making me want to shoot mine. It's been a while. I almost took it yesterday, but shot my USP compact instead.

JonInWA
04-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Man that's making me want to shoot mine. It's been a while. I almost took it yesterday, but shot my USP compact instead.

Enablement is a major feature of this site...

Best, Jon

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-01-2019, 01:48 PM
Sooo... in a moment of weakness I drooled just a bit too hard over an LE model VP-40 in Flat Dark Earth... not sure if I just made a mistake or it will be a happy accident. Either way, this puppy is heading my way... what do you guys think who have used these extensively? I am no stranger to .40, have P30L and USP Full Size so no worries there.

Balisong
05-01-2019, 04:02 PM
Sooo... in a moment of weakness I drooled just a bit too hard over an LE model VP-40 in Flat Dark Earth... not sure if I just made a mistake or it will be a happy accident. Either way, this puppy is heading my way... what do you guys think who have used these extensively? I am no stranger to .40, have P30L and USP Full Size so no worries there.

I think it's a damn good gun. If it had a gadget I'd very possibly be using mine as an EDC

JonInWA
05-01-2019, 05:26 PM
In my experience, they're pretty bulletproof, unless the previous owner dinked around and did a detailed disassembly; then there's a possibility that the eccentrically shaped (and secured) HK braided trigger return spring was separated from its attachment point(s) and not properly re-secured.

Unless you know the at least approximate roudcount, I'd immediately replace the recoil spring assembly and all magazine springs; probably overkill, but pretty inexpensive and prudent, in my opinion. There is a possibility that the RSA in it is the older (weaker) red-colored OEM one, the current one (silver) is the same used with the VP40.

You could have it sent to HK Customer Service to have them go through it, which might not be the worst of ideas either, but I don't know what they'd charge.

Best, Jon

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-01-2019, 05:37 PM
It is brand new, so no worries there... the only worry is I will like it and have to get rid of something else to warrant keeping it!

JonInWA
05-01-2019, 06:14 PM
In that case, no problems. Despite a slightly deeper receiver tang, I still use the same backstrap and side panel setup as on my P30L, so whatever yours is you might want to start with that as your initial setup. And your magazines will interchange with you P30L too-Score! And personally, I'm quite satisfied with the OEM tritium Meprolight sights that come with the LE variants, for both day and low-light use.

Images on arrival, or it didn't happen...

Best, Jon

JonInWA
05-01-2019, 06:21 PM
I think it's a damn good gun. If it had a gadget I'd very possibly be using mine as an EDC

My concern for a VP for EDC would pretty much be limited to if I used appendix carry (which I personally don't). Otherwise, I'm good with it, obviously with prudent gunhandling and holstering skills and practice with the specific weapon. Unlike the P30, the Picatinney rail that protrudes past the muzzle can induce re-holstering stumbles; I've found it highly beneficial to use holsters with a slightly splayed mouth lips and a full sweatshield (on both OWB and IWB holsters) (which acts as a sort of guiding skid when holstering).

Best, Jon

Balisong
05-01-2019, 06:31 PM
My concern for a VP for EDC would pretty much be limited to if I used appendix carry (which I personally don't). Otherwise, I'm good with it, obviously with prudent gunhandling and holstering skills and practice with the specific weapon. Unlike the P30, the Picatinney rail that protrudes past the muzzle can induce re-holstering stumbles; I've found it highly beneficial to use holsters with a slightly splayed mouth lips and a full sweatshield (on both OWB and IWB holsters) (which acts as a sort of guiding skid when holstering).

Best, Jon

Exactly. I do carry appendix, otherwise like you, I'd be satisfied well enough to carry it, if I was able to conceal it non-AIWB, which I've never had any luck with guns of that size.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-02-2019, 06:43 AM
I have owned a VP9 so I'm familiar with the platform, that being said the trigger scared the living hell out of me as a carry gun. Back then, a couple years ago, I was pretty much AIWB or nothing... but I've since been using strong side more often and in this role I feel a lot more comfortable carrying that type of trigger. Just not sure though how comfortable I feel with IWB at 3:30 though, I mean it is my understanding that most of the risk would be upon holstering rather than presenting right?

Balisong
05-02-2019, 09:29 AM
I have owned a VP9 so I'm familiar with the platform, that being said the trigger scared the living hell out of me as a carry gun. Back then, a couple years ago, I was pretty much AIWB or nothing... but I've since been using strong side more often and in this role I feel a lot more comfortable carrying that type of trigger. Just not sure though how comfortable I feel with IWB at 3:30 though, I mean it is my understanding that most of the risk would be upon holstering rather than presenting right?

I would say so, if you've got trigger finger discipline. But that being said, I have a harder time looking a gun into a holster strong side than I do AIWB.

JonInWA
05-02-2019, 12:21 PM

Let me be blunt without trying to be condescending (and probably failing miserably): If you have unresolved basic concerns about your safety with a specific platform, holster, technique and risk assessment, then you're probably not ready to EDC that particular platform or piece of kit. I'm not insinuating that you need to have a Tier One operator level of competence or performance capability, but you do need to be adequately familiar with, and trained as necessary before sallying forth with said stuff into a situation where your well-being, and/or that of others could depend upon your actions.

Professional training, participation in some of the more realistic shooting sports, etc. can be essential building blocks in the constant striving for competence and improvement. Don't be unduly swayed by what others are using-use what works with and for you, and improve or change out your platform/gear only as you develop the empirical knowledge as to what works, with and for you.

In partial answer to your basic question, there are a number of potential risk factors with a VP, such as the inherent nature of a striker-fired system possessing a relatively short and light triggerpull, your individual ergonomic relationship to your platform, holster and other gear involved, your trigger control awareness and capabilities, inherent acquired muscle memory on a given platform concerning all aspects of its operation, and your training and situational awareness and reaction capabilities.

Best, Jon

JBP55
05-02-2019, 06:00 PM
I have owned quite a few striker fired pistols and none of them with OEM components had what I consider a light trigger pull.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-02-2019, 06:03 PM
I have owned quite a few striker fired pistols and none of them with OEM components had what I consider a light trigger pull.

It is all relative, compared to a 1911 their is nothing light about factory striker. Compared to a DA/SA H&K/Beretta/Sig it is about half the weight of your typical DA first shot which is how it's carried. Also, worth noting is the length of pull is also important regarding safety margins.

JonInWA
05-02-2019, 06:10 PM
Regarding the VP pistols specifically, perhaps a better description would be that while they have a 5.4 lb weight, the break point wall is much softer than that on, say, a Glock with their standard 5.5 lb weight. With a softer, less discernible wall, my thought is that it would be easier to achieve ignition unintentionally, especially in an adrenaline-fueled situation. It's not unmanageable, but I'd suggest that using a VP requires a significant amount of training and familiarization with the trigger characteristics before using as a duty/threat management tool.

And what constitutes "light" can be relative-for someone coming from a TDA or DAO system, things beneath an 8-11 lb triggerpull might be considered light-especially a pull weight in the vicinity of 5.5 lbs (Or as Thy.Will.Be.Done beat me to saying immediately above).

Best, Jon

Thy.Will.Be.Done
05-08-2019, 04:04 PM
I just pickup up the VP40 this afternoon and didn't take long for me to remember why I never warmed up to the VP9. I seem to be a ringer for actually getting my finger too high on the trigger upon presenting and actually being completely unable to deactivate the trigger safety to fire the trigger.

This happens a large chunk of the time, just as I remember it with my VP9... enough to pretty much make me never feel comfortable using this pistol for any serious carry duty. I have not played around with the grip panel/backstrap combinations yet, but I don't remember it mattering in the past here.

To say I'm disappointed would be quite accurate, I had high hopes... I mean everything else about this pistol makes me giddy. It really just seems as though the high tang grip frame combined with a lower sitting trigger face of the proper shape/dingus design just makes me wonder if H&K really DOES hate us?

That being said, I'm hoping it is something that is fixable... but I'm afraid I'll always be uncomfortable carrying just because it's happened enough in the past to remind me of Murphy's law just waiting to come into play. I also vaguely remember getting this issue occasionally in the past with my Glock 17's... so yeah.

Balisong
05-08-2019, 06:54 PM
I just pickup up the VP40 this afternoon and didn't take long for me to remember why I never warmed up to the VP9. I seem to be a ringer for actually getting my finger too high on the trigger upon presenting and actually being completely unable to deactivate the trigger safety to fire the trigger.

This happens a large chunk of the time, just as I remember it with my VP9... enough to pretty much make me never feel comfortable using this pistol for any serious carry duty. I have not played around with the grip panel/backstrap combinations yet, but I don't remember it mattering in the past here.

To say I'm disappointed would be quite accurate, I had high hopes... I mean everything else about this pistol makes me giddy. It really just seems as though the high tang grip frame combined with a lower sitting trigger face of the proper shape/dingus design just makes me wonder if H&K really DOES hate us?

That being said, I'm hoping it is something that is fixable... but I'm afraid I'll always be uncomfortable carrying just because it's happened enough in the past to remind me of Murphy's law just waiting to come into play. I also vaguely remember getting this issue occasionally in the past with my Glock 17's... so yeah.

It's hard to imagine that you wouldn't be able to fix that issue with one of the 27 different grip variations you can assemble, but I'm curious to see how it turns out for you.

JonInWA
05-08-2019, 09:04 PM
That would be my thought too. Best, Jon