PDA

View Full Version : Having a couple of problems with my new Beretta 92 Compact L

shootist26
02-27-2012, 09:44 PM
just picked up this Compact L a couple weeks ago to complement my other 92s that I use for competition and training. I have put 500 rounds through it and am encountering two major issues:

I have 4 compact L magazines (2 preban 13 rounders, 2 NIB 10 rounders), and have experienced multiple failure to feed malfunctions in 3 of the 4. Seems like the problematic magazines hold the round with the nose at a slightly lower angle, so inside of being fed directly into the chamber the nose of the round is crashing into the area just below the feed ramp. I have never had any malfunctions with Beretta factory mags before, and a 75% failure rate seems to indicate something else other than a magazine issue? The weapon is 100% reliable when using full size Beretta 92 magazines however.

Second issue is that the gun shoots unusually high. Probably 4 inches high at 25yds when shot from a rest using the standard combat sight picture that I am used to with my other Beretta 92s. Any suggestions other than shaving a bit of the top off of the rear sight?

ToddG
02-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Make sure the magazine springs are installed properly (not backwards). I never had any such problems with the Compact.

If the gun shoots high, then getting a shorter rear sight is just about your only option. Are you using the top edge of the front sight or the "dot" as your expected POI?

shootist26
02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
I use the top edge of the sight as my expected POI. My other two 92s shoot to this sight picture. I find that I have to use a 6-o-clock hold in order to hit the bullseye with my Compact. Kind of irritating since I'm not a huge fan of the 6-o-clock sight picture. Do you think I should replace the rear sight or just train to adapt to this new sight picture? Where can I find a low rear sight?

As for the magazine issues, the spring is installed correctly. The malfunctions occur with both the original compact springs as well as when I put in new full size springs (I read they are compatible).