PDA

View Full Version : Dropping the mag with a Glock.

cornstalker
09-13-2018, 09:14 PM
I am using Glock 19.5 and 19x's. All have the 8794 mag catch, which is slightly extended over the stock one that came on the 19.5. I am right-handed.

I have smaller hands and short thumbs. I cannot drop the mag by simply pressing with my thumb. To make a long story short I have tried several techniques and the one I am currently training with involves pulling the front of the trigger guard to the left with my left hand, which drives the mag release into my right thumb. It works reliably, but seems dreadfully slow. I suspect an SO might take exception to that in a match at some point too. I am at a point of wondering if I should try a different technique, train more with this one, or try to change some hardware. Perhaps a more extended release?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Links to old threads on this issue would be awesome too.

GJM
09-13-2018, 09:23 PM
My wife uses this mag release:

https://www.tyrantcnc.com/collections/handgun-components-1/products/gen4-gen5-glock-extended-magazine-release

Something I have found that is very helpful is to pivot the gun in your hand and then go to the mag release button.

cornstalker
09-13-2018, 09:49 PM
My wife uses this mag release:

https://www.tyrantcnc.com/collections/handgun-components-1/products/gen4-gen5-glock-extended-magazine-release

Something I have found that is very helpful is to pivot the gun in your hand and then go to the mag release button.

Does the Tyrant part tear up your magazines at all?

RJ
09-13-2018, 09:54 PM
I have taken to wearing a small band aid on the finger in the area that hits the mag release. Seems to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M2CattleCo
09-14-2018, 09:56 AM
I have to shift every pistol I've ever shot to hit the mag release. In a two hand hold I shift it with the left hand when reaching for the full mag. With a SHO hold it takes a little flick to hit it. Doesn't slow me down at all.

I wouldn't go to a big mag release.

Gun Mutt
09-14-2018, 10:45 AM
^^This. And I have XL hands and crazy monkey thumbs. I actually dremel down the mag button on all of my Glocks as I'm much more concerned with an inadvertent mag release than I am the need for a speed reload.

UNM1136
09-14-2018, 05:05 PM
The method you are currently using is my go-to for teaching shooters with short digits. I do, however, teach cops and not competitors. It may well be a liability in competition but I see no problem with using it on the street. It can be done vey quickly and subtly.

pat

miller_man
09-14-2018, 06:27 PM
When I was shooting glocks I had to shift the pistol inward and left a tad to easily/quickly get the mag release.

I did this by doing 2 things
1) pushing the slide in that direction with my trigger finger indexed on the slide
2)Also using my middle finger on the trigger guard to push in that direction

Obviously with my right hand/fingers. I also had to open my middle finger and thumb and slightly loosen my grip while doing this. Probably isn't/wasn't ideal but it worked and I just put my grip back to normal after the reload while pressing the gun back out.

Hope that somehow made sense to someone.:confused:

YMMV.

Jim Watson
09-14-2018, 08:59 PM
If you asked me how I dropped a magazine, it would be like asking the centipede how he walks on all those legs.
I'd have to think about it too hard and lose the reflex.

HopetonBrown
09-14-2018, 09:16 PM
I do the flip, as probably a lot of people do, as demonstrated at 2:04.

https://youtu.be/VfIaMB1TvLI

UNM1136
09-14-2018, 09:23 PM
When I was shooting glocks I had to shift the pistol inward and left a tad to easily/quickly get the mag release.

I did this by doing 2 things
1) pushing the slide in that direction with my trigger finger indexed on the slide
2)Also using my middle finger on the trigger guard to push in that direction

Obviously with my right hand/fingers. I also had to open my middle finger and thumb and slightly loosen my grip while doing this. Probably isn't/wasn't ideal but it worked and I just put my grip back to normal after the reload while pressing the gun back out.

Hope that somehow made sense to someone.:confused:

YMMV.

This method seems like it would work with the various startle responses and the convulsing fist would hold the weapon more securely. The same reason I very much like Massad Ayoob's stressfire revolver reload. Unlike the stressfire revolver reload (I would have to do some serious dry work to confirm or deny this gut reaction) it would be a lot of work to break down enough to effectively teach. It looks like so ething that you have developdd into a workable solution, and I like the security it would provide. Not sure for me and mine it would be worth switching to.

pat

jiminycricket
09-14-2018, 10:51 PM
What about switching around the mag release for a lefty and using your middle finger or index finger?

einherjarvalk
09-15-2018, 01:47 AM
The "flip" has been my method of choice on Glocks for a while as well. I didn't even know it had a name, it was just something I instinctively did.

The Vickers/TangoDown mag release may be worth looking at too. The curved profile, IMO, makes the "flip" reload a lot more natural.

JohnO
09-15-2018, 07:42 AM
The Flip technique is the fastest by far because the support hand can immediately go for a spare magazine. If you use your support hand to aid in re-positioning the gun that costs time.

Extended magazine releases can have consequences so one must be careful and determine if there are any negative impacts. Unintended mag release being one. Extended mag releases do not always result in the ability to release the magazine without re-positioning the hand for everyone.

GuanoLoco
09-15-2018, 12:31 PM
I prefer the Glock extended mag release with the ridges melted down so it doesn’t irritate my sensitive belly when I carry AIWB. Also the extended Glock slide release.

You do need to test - extended controls can cause issues if you aren’t used to them.

UNM1136
09-15-2018, 01:10 PM
The Flip technique is the fastest by far because the support hand can immediately go for a spare magazine. If you use your support hand to aid in re-positioning the gun that costs time.

Extended magazine releases can have consequences so one must be careful and determine if there are any negative impacts. Unintended mag release being one. Extended mag releases do not always result in the ability to release the magazine without re-positioning the hand for everyone.

I don't like the flip technique as much for teaching a group of disinterested cops. The time lost is not a huge issue, given their manipulation skill, and I prefer that they keep as firm a grip and as many hands as possible on the gun. I also teach those with short digits the TLG slide release tension, ranther than the over the top slide drop.

pat

cornstalker
09-15-2018, 07:14 PM
I prefer the Glock extended mag release with the ridges melted down so it doesn’t irritate my sensitive belly when I carry AIWB. Also the extended Glock slide release.

You do need to test - extended controls can cause issues if you aren’t used to them.

Do you happen to know what the part number is on that mag release?

GuanoLoco
09-15-2018, 09:36 PM
Do you happen to know what the part number is on that mag release?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004269033/glock-magazine-release-extended-glock-17-19-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-31-32-33-34-35-37-38-39-polymer-black

Midway: Product #: 170748
Glock #: 1981S
UPC #: 19770617074

TAZ
09-15-2018, 10:23 PM
I have the same issue. Maybe worse than you I’m close to midget fingers. If using a gun with the release on the left side of the frame, I end up using my trigger finger (on the frame or slide) to push the gun and pivot it so I can reach the mag release.

On my guns, I just run the mag release on the right side of the frame and use my index finger to release the mag. Same as I do with paddle releases.

cornstalker
09-15-2018, 10:49 PM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004269033/glock-magazine-release-extended-glock-17-19-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-31-32-33-34-35-37-38-39-polymer-black

Midway: Product #: 170748
Glock #: 1981S
UPC #: 19770617074

Thanks. Bummer I can't use that, being all gen 5.

cornstalker
09-15-2018, 10:50 PM
I have the same issue. Maybe worse than you I’m close to midget fingers. If using a gun with the release on the left side of the frame, I end up using my trigger finger (on the frame or slide) to push the gun and pivot it so I can reach the mag release.

On my guns, I just run the mag release on the right side of the frame and use my index finger to release the mag. Same as I do with paddle releases.

That's what I miss about my HK's....

GuanoLoco
09-15-2018, 10:58 PM
Thanks. Bummer I can't use that, being all gen 5.

I don’t have any Gen 5’s, just 3’s and 4’s.