PDA

View Full Version : Rules For Life

Cypher
09-12-2018, 10:47 PM
I posted my number one rule for life in another thread and a lot of people clicked likes for it so here is the whole list.

Rules For Life

You are never more than one bad decision away from ruining your life.

Client Employees are NOT your friends. NEVER EVER forget this

Never miss a good opportunity to SHUT UP.

If it doesn't need to be said don't say it.

You have the right to remain silent, if you give up that right anything you say can and will be used against you.

The less your coworkers know about your personal life the better off you are.

Even if he asks for it the boss doesn't want to hear your opinion.

Never trust your coworkers to cover for you.

Never depend on the kindness of strangers

You are not as smart as you think you are. Other people are smarter than you think they are, never assume no one is paying attention.

Alway assume there were witnesses. Even if you never saw them someone saw you.

Always assume you're on camera.

Question people's motives.

Never draw unnecessary attention to yourself.

If you're unsure of what to do follow your written orders.

If you didn't write it it never happened.

Always assume you're not getting the whole story.

Stay in your lane

Not necessarily for security but still true

If she'll cheat with you she'll cheat on you

Never interrupt your enemy while he's making a mistake (Napolean Bonaparte)

Never tell anyone out side the family what you're thinking (Vito Corleone)

Least said, soonest mended.
Caroline Quiner Ingalls.

The more complex a system is the sooner it will fail

If you have to make a decision today the answer is no.

This one applies only to security but is very true

Security staff is to be seen and not heard.

GuanoLoco
09-13-2018, 06:44 AM
>> You are never more than one bad decision away from ruining your life.

There will be many times in life when you are faced with a decision. One decision will leave your life simpler. The other will make your life more omplicated, potentially even dramatically more complicated.

If you have any doubt about your decision, choose the simpler path.

HCountyGuy
09-13-2018, 07:18 AM
- If it’s online at all, it’s not private. Period.

- People will still disagree with you even when you’re clearly correct. Don’t keep arguing.

- Listen more than you speak. You’ll learn better.

- Never pass up knowledge from your seniors, they didn’t live so long being stupid. (Most times)

- Don’t forget to do stuff for you. You’re the only person guaranteed to be in your life for the rest of your life.

- Perspective is invaluable. Get lots of it and look at things from all angles.

- Don’t offer unsolicited advice unless it might save a life.

- Nothing good happens after midnight. Why do you think that was Cinderella’s curfew?

Nephrology
09-13-2018, 07:23 AM
Things can go horribly wrong even if you've done everything right.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Relax.

Cory
09-13-2018, 07:36 AM
Someone's signature around here:
Don't believe everything you read. First consider how the author profits.

Dont do crack.
Pay your bills.
Love your family.
Try to improve.
Believe in something.
Do the right thing.
Be decent to others.
Dont do crack.

-Cory

Inkwell 41
09-13-2018, 08:05 AM
The Immutable Laws of the Universe (based on my own little corner of it and bearing in mind that this is a generalization)

1. Everybody Lies
2. No One Knows Anything
3. People Are Morons
4. Optimism Brings Disappointment
5. Everything Is A Nightmare
6. Nothing Will Ever Get Better

Darth_Uno
09-13-2018, 08:08 AM
Everyone’s got problems. If you let them, they’ll make it your problems.

Getting help is fine. Plan like you’re not getting any.

If you think you don’t have time for this shit, you don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephanie B
09-13-2018, 08:14 AM
When you are wrong, apologize.

When you do something wrong, make it right, if possible.

People who say “never apologize” are assholes. Avoid them. (Looking at you, Leroy Jethro Gibbs.)

blues
09-13-2018, 08:23 AM

People who say “never apologize” are assholes. Avoid them. (Looking at you, Leroy Jethro Gibbs.)

Is that one of Trump's pseudonyms?

;)

Guerrero
09-13-2018, 08:37 AM
Everyone has a story. Everyone has something that makes them interesting.

If you understand the story, you can understand the person.

LockedBreech
09-13-2018, 08:37 AM
I will add one that sounds a bit touchy-feely and Pollyanna, but it genuinely has given me a massive edge for my entire life:

Be. Nice.

That's it. In any given neutral situation, choose to be friendly. Ask about their day, compliment their tie, notice new haircuts, be good to animals and babies, listen well, try to help in small ways when you can.

I know for a fact I have beaten competing candidates for two great jobs specifically because my demeanor in the interview - including to the secretaries and admin assistants who helped set up the interview - made them think I'd be easier to work with.

It costs you absolutely nothing but a slight lowering of your walls and a little bit of outreach, less effort than you'd take to go pick up McDonalds on a given day. It has gotten me girlfriends, scholarships, jobs, opportunities.

Just be a nice person. Even when you're justified, resist being a jerk. One of the most insanely successful and qualified people I have ever met (his resume and accolades are too long to list without being obnoxious) is the only person I've ever met who is literally never in a bad mood, and it gives him a terrifying amount of power.

HCountyGuy
09-13-2018, 09:14 AM
I will add one that sounds a bit touchy-feely and Pollyanna, but it genuinely has given me a massive edge for my entire life:

Be. Nice.

That's it. In any given neutral situation, choose to be friendly. Ask about their day, compliment their tie, notice new haircuts, be good to animals and babies, listen well, try to help in small ways when you can.

I know for a fact I have beaten competing candidates for two great jobs specifically because my demeanor in the interview - including to the secretaries and admin assistants who helped set up the interview - made them think I'd be easier to work with.

It costs you absolutely nothing but a slight lowering of your walls and a little bit of outreach, less effort than you'd take to go pick up McDonalds on a given day. It has gotten me girlfriends, scholarships, jobs, opportunities.

Just be a nice person. Even when you're justified, resist being a jerk. One of the most insanely successful and qualified people I have ever met (his resume and accolades are too long to list without being obnoxious) is the only person I've ever met who is literally never in a bad mood, and it gives him a terrifying amount of power.

Solid advice, I wish I could like this more than once. Brought to mind a quote from a much admired mentor of mine:

“Do your job well and treat people nicely” - Rob Anderson

Not the musician, but an incredible man who took up residence in Columbus, GA for several decades.

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/local/article97518572.html

He was an integral part of the theatre community there, and was a staple of The Springer Opera House. I met him via attending the Springer Theatre Academy over several summers in my teens. Through all the years I knew him and interacted with him, I NEVER saw him in a bad mood. He was goofy, polite and could be soberingly serious. The man had such wisdom, such insight and compassion. I dare say he was a better man than the world deserved at times. I wish I could be more like him, and I wish he was still here.

Fuck cancer.

Sorry for that thread drift...

Sherman A. House DDS
09-13-2018, 09:40 AM
Uh, everyone here has overlooked two, SUPER CRUCIAL points...

1. Brush (at least) 2x daily
2. Floss (at least) 2x daily

All you fearless internet gun fighters turn to warm butter and urine when you get in my chair, so follow these two rules and you’ll only have to be in my hygienists chair...

RJ
09-13-2018, 09:48 AM
1) Everybody Bleeds Red.

Been repeating that to my son for years. Actually heard him say it the other day. Which made me happy.

2) See sig block, below.

3) See below Avatar.

OlongJohnson
09-13-2018, 10:03 AM
All the attitude adjusting in the world can get smacked around by reality like someone with a plan who just got punched in the mouth by Mike Tyson. Sometimes, you need to put real effort into changing more than yourself. Which, frankly, can be a lot harder to do.

HCountyGuy
09-13-2018, 10:05 AM

All you fearless internet gun fighters turn to warm butter and urine when you get in my chair, so follow these two rules and you’ll only have to be in my hygienists chair...

Stephanie B
09-13-2018, 10:21 AM

Is that one of Trump's pseudonyms?

;)

No. Gibb's Rule 6 (http://www.ncisfanwiki.com/page/NCIS%3A+Gibbs%27+Rules)

Bigghoss
09-13-2018, 10:26 AM
This is a good list.

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2017/12/15/strong-mindset-pat-mcnamara/

And this.

http://www.grahamtradecraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/700.jpg

feudist
09-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Always cut the cards

Being polite to someone doesn't make them any harder to kill.

From time to time lay up on your backtrail.

Joe in PNG
09-13-2018, 04:22 PM
A few of mine, stolen from elsewhere:
-Don't be afraid to say "no"
-Never fall in love with a woman from behind
-Never walk into a place you don't know how to walk out of
-Underpromise and overdeliver

Darth_Uno
09-13-2018, 04:34 PM

I'm not big on apologizing, but that may be a personal fault. I do believe in making things right...but I won't apologize while I'm doing it.

Somewhat related, "never let 'em see you sweat". Even if you screwed up, don't act rattled. Just take care of it.

And somewhat related to that, act like you know what you're doing even if you don't. There's times I've BS'ed my way into getting what I want just by acting like I knew what I was talking about.

Shoresy
09-13-2018, 04:37 PM

Be. Nice.

I've always phrased this one as "Be nice, until it's time to not be nice" (Roadhouse wasn't the best movie, but it did leave that gem).

There's nothing gained by pissing off or demeaning someone who doesn't need it. There are times when its entirely appropriate to do so, but my default is to assume that it's NOT one of those times until the situation demonstrates otherwise.

Nephrology
09-13-2018, 05:03 PM

I just got like 1 liter of lido w/ epi in my face a few weeks ago so I'm onboard.

csheehy
09-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Sam: Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt. That's the first thing they teach you.

Vincent: Who taught you?

Sam: I don't remember. That's the second thing they teach you.

theJanitor
09-13-2018, 05:57 PM
Be. Nice.

My grandfather still tells me (he's 93) that if enough people wish you bad luck, you will have bad luck. So, be nice.

FNFAN
09-13-2018, 08:31 PM
If they look over their shoulder twice in five steps they're wanted.

okie john
09-13-2018, 08:38 PM
THE COYOTE RULES

1. If you run with the pack, play by pack rules, but keep your options open.
2. When you hunt alone, stealth is your best hope. You may only get one try.
3. Know the terrain cold, especially the escape routes.
4. Do not depend on others for ideas; they are rarely available.
5. Have your own ideas and keep plenty of them in reserve. Develop instincts.
6. Where instinct fails, build plans. Define your objectives. Refine your methods.
7. Success has three phases: extensive planning, exhaustive rehearsal and swift execution.
8. If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly.
9. Don't take stupid chances. Surviving is a professional endeavor.
10. Consider the consequences of your acts. Survival of the pack may be at stake.
11. Have a back-up plan if things go wrong. Keep it simple.
12. Know your limits and when to quit. If you can't kill two geese, kill one and make it home.
13. Most of us come to grief because we want too much.
14. If you run with bad dogs, you get shot with them.
15. Most traps are set on trails that are already out of bounds.
16. If you suspect you're out of bounds, you probably are.
17. Give quarter where it's due. You may need it yourself someday.
18. Never assume that no one wants you dead.
19. Threats rarely announce themselves. Stay alert. Anticipate the unexpected.
20. Be ready to move on if the game gives out.

Okie John

willie
09-14-2018, 05:52 AM
Not original but will say it anyway. The toes you step on on the way up may be attached to the ass you have to kiss on the way back down.

Monitor yourself for arrogance. Avoid getting even because it's the same thing as vindictiveness.

Nobody likes a snitch even the one receiving the information.

Everybody gets old one day.

Cheap Shot
09-14-2018, 06:58 AM
Live below your means.

Pay yourself first

Think for yourself

Cheap Shot
09-14-2018, 07:38 AM
In judging others a man labors to no purpose, commonly errs, and easily sins, but in examining himself, he is wisely and usefully employed. Thomas Kempis

A constant and humbling struggle for me

JAD
09-14-2018, 07:49 AM
Ora et Labora.

Cheap Shot
09-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Keep the company of those who seek the truth - run from those who have found it”

― Vaclav Havel

Drang
09-14-2018, 10:07 PM
Robert Conquest's Three Laws of Politics: (http://www.isegoria.net/2008/07/robert-conquests-three-laws-of-politics/)

Everyone is conservative about what he knows best.
Any organization not explicitly right-wing sooner or later becomes left-wing.
The simplest way to explain the behavior of any bureaucratic organization is to assume that it is controlled by a cabal of its enemies.

Parkinson's Law: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law)

Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.
Corollary, Parkinson's Law of Triviality (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law_of_triviality):

The time spent on any item of the agenda will be in inverse proportion to the sum involved.

Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy: (http://www.jerrypournelle.com/archives2/archives2mail/mail408.html#Iron)

In any bureaucracy, the people devoted to the benefit of the bureaucracy itself always get in control and those dedicated to the goals the bureaucracy is supposed to accomplish have less and less influence, and sometimes are eliminated entirely.

Edit to add: I posted these in a blog post back in 2015. I got a shit load of hits from Claire Wolfe. That was a shock, to say the least.

Drang
09-14-2018, 10:15 PM
I don't blame the fictional character for it, nor do I blame the fictional character he stole it from, Nathan Brittles, or the actor who played him (and is credited with the quote, as if he were the screen writer), John Wayne.
I blame people who hear a pithy bromide and adopt it because "Well John Wayne/Gibbs said it, so it must be so."
Horse shit.
Utterly in character for a late 19th Century Cavalry officer to say such a thing. Arguably as much for for a late 20th Century USMC Gunnery Sergeant. But those are pretty specialized categories, and I can tell you it did wonders for my reputation as a leader when I gathered my troops together and confessed that I had screwed the pooch and apologized for not providing them the leadership they deserved on an exercise, because I thought the thing was a waste of time and money.
Mind you, as a leader that sort of thing works exactly once.
At most.
But for most people, under most circumstances, if you screw up have the balls to admit it, and if the consequences go beyond making you, personally, look bad, do the right thing.

Maple Syrup Actual
09-15-2018, 11:58 AM
There's two good pieces of advice I've gotten from my dad, one gun related, one not:

"You will probably never need a gun in your entire life, but if what you need is a gun, nothing else will do"

And

"People don't get promoted for their technical skills, they get promoted for their personal skills, so if you want to move up, the key is to make friends."

He himself had no interest in being friends with anyone that I can recall and made no attempts at promotion but I think his observation was pretty accurate.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

peterb
09-15-2018, 01:55 PM

Be. Nice.

It’s also a good test for a potential partner. Someone who is habitually rude to low-level staff is not someone you want to spend your life with.

Drang
09-15-2018, 02:17 PM
One of the most insanely successful and qualified people I have ever met (his resume and accolades are too long to list without being obnoxious) is the only person I've ever met who is literally never in a bad mood, and it gives him a terrifying amount of power.

I'm going to file for disability due to resting bitch face.
And then file for discrimination because of gender bias in the name of my disability.

ubervic
09-15-2018, 03:01 PM
- If it’s online at all, it’s not private. Period.

- People will still disagree with you even when you’re clearly correct. Don’t keep arguing.

- Listen more than you speak. You’ll learn better.

- Never pass up knowledge from your seniors, they didn’t live so long being stupid. (Most times)

- Don’t forget to do stuff for you. You’re the only person guaranteed to be in your life for the rest of your life.

- Perspective is invaluable. Get lots of it and look at things from all angles.

- Don’t offer unsolicited advice unless it might save a life.

- Nothing good happens after midnight. Why do you think that was Cinderella’s curfew?

Mods, please lock this thread, as this post says it all.

FrankinCA
09-17-2018, 05:26 PM
- not every comment warrants a reply
- do not lie. If you can’t tell the truth , be quiet
- enter rooms quietly. Listen, observe and analyze.
- all lives matter
- love yourself. If you cannot, you cannot love others
- failure is part of growth
- fear is the mind killer
- the simplest solution can be the most complicated to execute
- be fair and most importantly, be fair to yourself . We oftentimes are our own harshest critics
- when others feel they owe you a debt, release them. Hold no one to any debt
- when others are rude toward you, keep in mind it’s something else driving their hostility. You do not need to respond in kind
- how you view the world is how the world views you
- challenge yourself ....read, study, experience . Study ideologies that may contradict or offend. By understanding others, even opposing viewpoints, one understands their own liabilities.

J0hnny
09-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Look where you're going, don't look where you are

I'd rather trust you than like you

RevolverRob
09-17-2018, 10:27 PM
Never start a "discussion" with your wife with the following phrase, "Your fucking mother..."

Trust me.

Robinson
09-17-2018, 10:58 PM
Be. Nice.

My Grandfather's version of this was "be nice to people but don't let 'em shit on ya".

Joe in PNG
09-17-2018, 11:01 PM
If you got a bunch of task to do, do the ones you like the least first (if possible), and get them out of the way.

Drang
09-18-2018, 03:03 AM
Nothing is frequently a wise thing to do, and always a wise thing to say.
Will Durant

Sensei
09-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Sensei’s Rules for Staying Off the Trauma Service

1) Stay off trees, roofs, and ladders more than 8 ft unless you’re trained to be on them and have proper safety equipment.
2) Don’t use gasoline as an accelerant.
3) Don’t fuck with industrial current unless you are a trained electrician.
4) Don’t think that because a child can buy a chainsaw or tablesaw that you are competent to use them.
5) Don’t ride motorcycles, bicycles, and ATV’s alone and around other motorists.
6) If you have a kid and a gun, then buy a safe, or get rid of one or the other.
7) Don’t drink and drive or drink and engage in 1-6.
8) Wear a seat belt.

LJP
09-18-2018, 10:37 AM
I have a similar list that I’ve been adding to and maintaining for a few years now...

A Paramedic's Rules for Life

In no particular order...

1. If you ride a motorcycle, wear a helmet. If it doesn't save your life, then at least you can have an open casket.

2. If you want somebody to know something, tell them! You never know when it might be too late.

3. Life is fragile. Treat every day as a gift and act accordingly.

4. If you don't consider life a gift anymore... Ask for help. You don't have to face your demons alone... Suicide is rarely an answer, and it always creates more questions than answers for the survivors.

5. The 4s rule (from John Farnam’s 3s rule): Don't go stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.

6. Use common sense. This is often harder than it seems and should be instilled in children at a young age!

7. Don't panic. Stop, think, and then act... "Little kills faster than panic, and failure to think can turn a bad situation into a horrible one very quickly." - Will Dabbs, M.D.

8. "Don't practice until you get it right... Practice until you never get it wrong." - First heard this from Rob Morse, unsure about original attribution.

9. Be self reliant and take personal responsibility in all that you do.

10. Fight back. Always fight back. It's said that violence begets violence... I certainly hope so!

Sensei
09-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Sensei’s Rules for Staying Off the Trauma Service

1) Stay off trees, roofs, and ladders more than 8 ft unless you’re trained to be on them and have proper safety equipment.
2) Don’t use gasoline as an accelerant.
3) Don’t fuck with industrial current unless you are a trained electrician.
4) Don’t think that because a child can buy a chainsaw or tablesaw that you are competent to use them.
5) Don’t ride motorcycles, bicycles, and ATV’s alone and around other motorists.
6) If you have a kid and a gun, then buy a safe, or get rid of one or the other.
7) Don’t drink and drive or drink and engage in 1-6.
8) Wear a seat belt.

Damn, I forgot the most important one:

DON’T USE OR SELL DRUGS AND DON’T ASSOCIATE WITH THOSE WHO DO!

Coyotesfan97
09-19-2018, 01:23 AM
From my dog: Life’s Short Bite Hard!

jetfire
09-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Stick your dick in crazy, it’s fun.
But have an exfil plan.

1slow
09-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Stick your dick in crazy, it’s fun.
But have an exfil plan.

Keep track of where her hands are, DO NOT go to sleep with crazy !!!

jetfire
09-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Keep track of where her hands are, DO NOT go to sleep with crazy !!!

Wanna know how I got these scars?