PDA

View Full Version : Eblerstock packs? Need to carry ~40 lbs 50 miles

littlejerry
09-11-2018, 08:53 PM
Looking for a robust pack that won't fall apart and has appropriate adjustment/design to carry over a long distance.

Training for a 50-60 mile ruck in November. I've been using a Kelty 44l redwing since May of this year but it has already fallen apart. Tried the "tactical" version which is heavier duty but the harness is fixed and ~2 inches higher than the standard Redwing(doesn't fit at all).

Ruck is 20 hrs and I'm carrying a weight, not stuff, so I don't need ton of volume.

The "Big Trick" and "Hi Speed 2" packs look like about the right size and have the right features, plus they may be useful for shooting related events and hunting in the future.

Anyone have any experience here? I'm not looking to drop $500 on a pack. My ideal pack would be something configured like a Kelty but built like a GoRuck.

And I've tried using my GR1 already. Not having a proper hip belt gets real old after 20 miles.

Lester Polfus
09-11-2018, 09:01 PM
Check out Hill People Gear.

I'll type more later but I have to put the baby to bed.

littlejerry
09-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Have a Tara and Kit bag. They are well made for sure.

Curious which pack/combo you think is appropriate for 40lbs.

Bit more than I wanted to spend, but quality costs money I suppose.

Default.mp3
09-11-2018, 09:40 PM
What about just an ALICE? I'm sure some of our members here could give you some tips on modernizing one, too. The frames are damn cheap, after all.

From an infantry vet friend: "ALICE frame, aftermarket shoulder pads, home made lumbar pad out of a yoga mat and strap the weight plates to the frame."

GJM
09-11-2018, 09:42 PM
I would look at this:

https://www.mysteryranch.com/mule-pack

ranger
09-11-2018, 09:43 PM
Military surplus ILBE (Marine Corps) rucksack. Very nice, very well made ruck for carrying a heavy load and should be able to find for less than $100 complete. I spent too much of my life walking with a ruck - usually a large ALICE ruck - I got this after I retired from Army for hunting and it awesome. Only negative is it is so robust that the ruck is heavy empty.

ranger
09-11-2018, 09:44 PM
Mystery Ranch rucks are awesome for sure. Saw them at the Infantry conference.

Shoresy
09-11-2018, 09:46 PM
What about just an ALICE? I'm sure some of our members here could give you some tips on modernizing one, too.

Not gonna lie - this was my first thought. I initially refrained from posting because it may not have the comfort and sex appeal of some of its more expensive competitors and it's not really "built like a Kelty", but if I were to ruck any substantial distance with 40 lbs, I'd reach for my ALICE. JM2C

(that, and it took far less than 20 miles for me - specifically my upper back - to realize that no hip belt = no bueno with a GR1)

strow
09-11-2018, 09:52 PM
I am a little bias but I would go with either a HPG Ute or Umlindi with a Connor or Pals front pocket. The Eberlestock is a neat idea. I have found the suspension, waist belt, and harness less than comfortable.

If you need to carry a rifle on the pack get a HPG Pack Bucket and sandwich the rifle between the main pack and front pocket.

I usually use the Ute/Connor as my meat hunting pack. All my hunting gear goes in the Connor. I collapse the main bag until I start loading boned out meat. The Ute will haul two fully boned out Coues with little left for the coyotes. It will haul more than I can shoulder without help.

The Umlindi / Pals pocket is my daily use bag and non-meat hunting bag. With 40lb I would get a Prairie or Recon belt.

The HPG packs are VERY well made and have the best suspension and shoulder harness I have ever tried. Evan and Scot are really great guys to boot. Drop them an email or call for more specifics.

Lester Polfus
09-11-2018, 10:12 PM
I had an Eberlestock for a while. It was well constructed, but I felt like it was heavier than it needed to be. Ultimately, I sold it because it just didn't fit me right. That's more likely a factor of my really long torso than a slam on Eberlestock.

I can tell you first hand that an HPG Umlindi with a recon belt will carry 35 lbs quite comfortably, though I didn't do it for 50 miles.

A Ute will carry it so well you'll forget you are wearing it.

Is this going to be a regular thing for you? If so, I'd resign myself to spending some money on a pack. You'll either spend the money either once, on a good pack, or on multiple packs lack your Kelty Redwing that will shit the bed in short order.

If this is a one-off event, it's a trickier decision. The low budget route would probably be an ALICE frame. Some folks put an HPG harness on them.

One thing to note is that good packs like HPG and Mystery Ranch hold their value. You could run one for the event and sell it for a sizable fraction of what you paid for it, or if you buy used break even. That is certainly not the case with other brands. I've an Osprey Kestral that I haven't used in years and just keep moving from closet to closet because it isn't even worth the effort to sell it on EBay.

cornstalker
09-11-2018, 10:12 PM
I hunted with an Eberlestock JP9 (Blue Widow) for three years, including a 10 day backcountry bow hunt for elk. It was a solid pack overall, but pretty heavy all by itself. The suspension was a bit uncomfortable for a guy with a short torso, like me. In the second year, on a rifle bear hunt, the pack picked up a creak I could never get rid of. One of my hunting buddies also had JP9, his started creaking the first year. He sold it and bought an Eberlestock Team Elk. He has two years under the belt with it and is much happier with it. I went through a Cabela's Alaskan Guide pack, a Kelty, the Eberlestock, and am now using another Kelty.(Wrangell) Not completely satisfied with it either.

I guess where I am headed with this is that if I had followed the buy once cry once rule, I could have had a badass modular Kifaru system that is adaptable for whatever.

Not a very specific answer, but my .02

LJP
09-11-2018, 10:16 PM
I have an Eberlestock GS2. It is a heavy pack... Based on input from those I trust, my next purchase in this arena will be from either HPG or Kifaru.

Hambo
09-12-2018, 05:52 AM
Mystery Ranch rucks are awesome for sure. Saw them at the Infantry conference.

I carried 50+ pounds in an internal frame Dana Designs (Mystery Ranch predecessor) and I loved that thing. McHale is still around and making packs as well.

Jason M
09-12-2018, 06:26 AM
This: http://www.downeastinc.com/product/high-performance-adjustable-pad-set/

And a good condition med ALICE pack?

A co-worker has an Eberlestock pack like you mentioned. It’s built well but heavy for its size. I wouldn’t want to carry 50# over the distance that you’re talking with it.

There is a great thread over at Lightfighter from people who are SME (.mil) talking about this very thing. One named Diz is trying the new Aussie Crossfire DG16 pack and frame. That might be another ALICE like option for you.

smithjd
09-12-2018, 06:58 AM
I use a large ALICE with Tactical Tailor shoulder straps and waist belt to train, currently at 65# in the 3-5 mile range. It’s packed with sandbag pills and a grain bag with mulch. Works great for that, comfortable and carries the weight well. I had been using a Kifaru Express, which is a great pack, but felt like more than 40-45# would be too much for it (size wise, not quality...it’s built great) and didn’t want to put unnecessary wear on it.

I have an Eberlestock (forget which one) which is quality built and apparently just as bomb-proof heavy, but have not tried it. I should to see how comfortable it is.

If I was going to buy a new pack, Hill People Gear would be at the top the of the list. Can’t go wrong with Kifaru or Mystery Ranch either.

bofe954
09-12-2018, 08:15 AM
Looking for a robust pack that won't fall apart and has appropriate adjustment/design to carry over a long distance.

Training for a 50-60 mile ruck in November. I've been using a Kelty 44l redwing since May of this year but it has already fallen apart. Tried the "tactical" version which is heavier duty but the harness is fixed and ~2 inches higher than the standard Redwing(doesn't fit at all).

Ruck is 20 hrs and I'm carrying a weight, not stuff, so I don't need ton of volume.

The "Big Trick" and "Hi Speed 2" packs look like about the right size and have the right features, plus they may be useful for shooting related events and hunting in the future.

Anyone have any experience here? I'm not looking to drop $500 on a pack. My ideal pack would be something configured like a Kelty but built like a GoRuck.

And I've tried using my GR1 already. Not having a proper hip belt gets real old after 20 miles.

Literally carrying a weight?

https://www.roguefitness.com/alice-frame-and-load-trainer

https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/weight-carrier

Not cheap for kind of "one trick pony" item, but if you are doing that type of training a lot...

Could you use a weight vest? I have a 40lb weight vest that isn't bad. It's filled with sand packets, you could remove half.

littlejerry
09-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Literally carrying a weight, plus water, food, necessities to navigate NYC for 20 hrs without stopping. Socks, phone, battery, headlamp, rain gear, etc.

I'll probably use this for future hunting/overnight excursions but carrying less weight. Not sure if I'll do another 50 miles 20 hr Ruck event after this, bit who knows.

Details are that we get a list of waypoints in NYC about 30 minutes before the start. Start is 9pm and cut off is 5pm the next day. Minimum distance is 50 miles, but our nav skills and decisions can stretch that out if we're not careful.

We'll be moving quick. Weight best sounds uncomfortable for 20 hrs with a pack over it.

I like the Alice suggestions.

HPG Aston BC looks highly adaptable... But $400 with a belt. I'm unclear on how the harness height is adjusted which concerns me.

Mystery Ranch looks like quality. Intrigued by their frame + a small ~24 liter pack

eb07
09-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Love My Eberlestock. Carry 30-50lbs over mountainous terrain all day long during hunting season. I usually go out for two to three days at a time on foot to prescout.

https://preview.ibb.co/gpUxh9/IMG_0072.jpg (https://ibb.co/e9ARaU)

vcdgrips
09-12-2018, 09:48 AM
I will approach this from the Boy Scout Leader/Dad POV. We trained to carry 40-50 lbs over 10 days /100+ miles for Philmont Scout Ranch, NM. The ability to nimbly move over a variety of terrain was more important that absolute lightness given what was "required" to be carried and the manner in which were to carry it. In that vein, a pack that transfers weight well to your hips via a hip belt seems like a critical feature as you are not going to consume down much of your weight.

Osprey, Gregory and Deuter were all well represented. Sierra Trading Post and eBags often has such packs well under 250 shipped. The packs I am describing typically have several inches of adjustment for both pack size on the back and waist size via the hip belt. Therefore, I was often quite successful in fitting relatively thin Scouts in excellent, well priced bags (even occasionally those being marketed as being for women as it might be on sale for 119 whereas the "mens" version of the exact same bag other than color/range of adjustment was 179.00). This strategy led to no injuries, no blisters, no lost gear and an excellent trek.

If you want a hunting bag that you have and use forever, Mystery Ranch as mentioned above as well as KUIU are reviewing very well. Finally, the used market in outdoor gear abounds and really good used/vintage stuff can often be had off of Craigslist/ebay at very steep discounts

28.00 + 19.00 shipping/Lowe Alpine 75+10 Contour III
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowe-Alpine-Contour-III-70-15-hiking-pack/183384079018?hash=item2ab28afaaa:g:9DQAAOSwCLNbNu9 N

david of vcdgrips
www.vcdgrips.com
"get a better grip on your working gun"

Cookie Monster
09-12-2018, 10:09 AM
As much as it will hurt the wallet, get a Mystery Ranch that fits the mission. I got an old NICE frame that I zipped tied two 20lb ruck plates to for my weighted walking training. I am only walking an hour or so but it is about as comfortable as it gets. For trying to cover any distance my loads are much lighter and I use lighter packs but that is not the point of what you are doing.

I think a crux is the weight as well. Invest in ruck plates from GoRuck and get them height and tight in the pack and not moving. I think that will help a bunch.

Good luck, sounds like you signed up for a lot of pain. But pain makes you realize you are alive.

littlejerry
09-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a good weight right now. I've got a Goruck 30lb played and also a homemade configurable plate made from 1/2" steel rods for 10-25 lb adders.

Sounds like external free is the way to go. The hiking oriented internal frame packs seem to lack robust mounting points. At least that was my impression of the hear at REI. I originally went to REI and left feeling like Kelty was the most "rugged" of my options. Some of the ultra light weight options felt like tissue paper.

Peally
09-12-2018, 11:37 AM
Backpacking packs aren't really built for what it sounds like you're doing, especially normal lightweight and internal frame packs. There are no mounting points because space is at a premium for shoving the 80 pieces of gear you need in there versus carrying big weights.

ViniVidivici
09-12-2018, 12:06 PM
For what you're doing I'd use a large ALICE, with the weight in the radio pouch.

I've tried a couple of civvy rucks over the years, and always come back to big ALICE. Has never let me down.

I've upgraded the cushioning in mine, where it meets the frame. Rides great, I regularly hike and climb with it, 35-60 lb. range.

FOG
09-12-2018, 09:12 PM
HPG Aston BC looks highly adaptable... But $400 with a belt. I'm unclear on how the harness height is adjusted which concerns me.

Harness height is easily adjusted.

Currently training for bataan heavy division in march, I've ran and rucked up to 8 hours with 20-35 # loads in a umlindi and Aston BC. If adjusted correctly, minimal soreness next day.

For what you're doing, I'd go with the ute.

Umlindi with 20 lbs on a 20 mile run
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180913/0bdc64b47b373b98210f7e8c3689e1d9.jpg

littlejerry
09-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Harness height is easily adjusted.

Currently training for bataan heavy division in march, I've ran and rucked up to 8 hours with 20-35 # loads in a umlindi and Aston BC. If adjusted correctly, minimal soreness next day.

For what you're doing, I'd go with the ute.

Umlindi with 20 lbs on a 20 mile run
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180913/0bdc64b47b373b98210f7e8c3689e1d9.jpg

Dang! Sounds like you'll be ready for Pawnee in Jan. I may have to step up my training...

Why the Ute? And do you prefer the Aston BC or the Umlindi for training?

Aston looks very multipurpose. Could be useful for hunting as well. Ute sounds huge. My ruck weights are rectangular steel plates.

Lester Polfus
09-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Dang! Sounds like you'll be ready for Pawnee in Jan. I may have to step up my training...

Why the Ute? And do you prefer the Aston BC or the Umlindi for training?

Aston looks very multipurpose. Could be useful for hunting as well. Ute sounds huge. My ruck weights are rectangular steel plates.

The Ute compresses down to a very small package when it isn't full.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you reach out with your question on either the HPG forum, on their website, or their Facebook page. Evan or Scot Hill will give you some good info on which pack might work for you. Also, if none of their packs are a good fit for this, they will flat tell you that too.

UNM1136
09-13-2018, 09:13 PM
I run Kifaru...the more current offerings are lighter, and are reverse compatible with my G2 tactical frame. My EMR is 10 lbs out the door, but it is huge and overbuilt. I may find a Fulcrum Bag to throw on the frame and save myself about 4 pounds, and still be able to carry elk quarters.

IIRC Dana Gleasonand the Hill Brothers have had relationships with Kifaru's owner In the past.

All three of those folks make bags that will cost you a pretty penny, but you will be willing them to your children.

I think my next EDC bag will be HPG

pat

txdpd
09-13-2018, 11:24 PM
Many many years ago I drilled the rivets on an ALICE frame, chopped 2.5" off of it, drilled some new holes and bolted the thing back together. I then attached a real backpacking backpack belt, Coleman IIRC, and had a pretty decent setup. If you're under 6' the ALICE frame has a little room to shrink.

For a while I was using a 4th gen Molle II frame and straps, with a 45lb plate strapped directly to the frame, for "hiking". It wasn't a bad setup. I think that cost me all of $35. Durability is not bad and replacement parts are easy to find. If I wanted to convert it into an all around setup I would get a Kifaru cargo panel and have something that could haul jerry cans to butchered animals.

littlejerry
09-14-2018, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions all. I got some feedback from HPG and went ahead and ordered an Aston BC pack with a prairie belt. They said that or the Ute, but I wanted the better adaptability of the Aston and like that it's a carry on size

Drang
09-14-2018, 09:33 PM
I see several recommendations for ALICE Packs; TACTICAL TAILOR Malice Packs (https://www.tacticaltailor.com/malicepacks.aspx) are ALICE packs modernized; if you have your pack, they can update/customize it for you.

UNM1136
09-14-2018, 09:38 PM
I see several recommendations for ALICE Packs; TACTICAL TAILOR Malice Packs (https://www.tacticaltailor.com/malicepacks.aspx) are ALICE packs modernized; if you have your pack, they can update/customize it for you.

I knew Logan when he was alive...If you run an ALICE TT is the way to go. He started modding them on active duty while in the Sniper Platoon in the 25th ID. 25ish years later and his mods are still with us.

RIP Logan.

pat

littlejerry
11-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Update: bought a HPG Aston BC. Rucked 50 miles in NYC last night. Worked like a champ. 17.5 hours and while my feet are in a world of pain my shoulders/back are golden. Pack was 41lbs.

FOG
11-03-2018, 11:33 PM
Update: bought a HPG Aston BC. Rucked 50 miles in NYC last night. Worked like a champ. 17.5 hours and while my feet are in a world of pain my shoulders/back are golden. Pack was 41lbs.Awesome job man, that's very impressive!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk