PDA

View Full Version : Which 9mm to get?

CStruthers
02-26-2012, 02:36 PM
This is my first post here on the forums and was hoping for some veteran shooter advise. Im looking to get a 9mm primarily for range shooting and because its something i dont have yet. I was hoping that someone would have a suggestion of which gun to get. Im hoping not to spend more than $400(preferably around $300), I want full size (will not be carrying), doesnt have to be new, something reliable that I wont have to spend extra money on to get it to shoot accurately. I know the saying that "you get what you pay for" but I just dont have the money to spend on the "best of the best". I just want something enjoyable and reliable to shoot. Any suggestions?

Jac
02-26-2012, 02:38 PM
At least a dozen people are going to say it... I just want to be the first: Get a used 3rd Gen Glock 17.

JConn
02-26-2012, 02:41 PM
At least a dozen people are going to say it... I just want to be the first: Get a used 3rd Gen Glock 17.

What he said.

CStruthers
02-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Thats definitely on the top of my list. The cheapest ive seen those is right at $400. I was wondering if there was anything cheaper that would be similar quality.

jmjames
02-26-2012, 03:16 PM
If you AREN'T going to be carrying... just want a "range gun"... I'd throw in the CZ or CZ clone (Tangfolio, Jericho/Baby Desert Eagle/etc.) as an option. They are accurate to begin with, and very easy to shoot well. Lots of good reasons to not carry one, though.

J.Ja

JConn
02-26-2012, 03:35 PM
There are other cheaper options like the ruger sr9 and those listed above. However, if you spend just a little more you get what is arguably one of the best handguns ever made, the Glock 17. I know it's just for fun, but there is no reason not to buy something that is high quality. This way, if your needs change someday, your handgun does not have to. In the interest of price and availability you may want to look at 19s as well.

Kyle Reese
02-26-2012, 04:10 PM
If it absolutely must be under $400, wait until these (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1Glk19Gen2&name=Glock+19+9mm+Handgun+Gen+2&groupid=3) are back in stock and pick one up. You can go to a GSSF (http://www.gssfonline.com/match-info.cfm) match and the Glock Armorer will inspect / respring it for you if asked to do so.

jetfire
02-26-2012, 04:48 PM
CDNN has S&W 5906s for $299, so if you really want a 9mm and you want to keep it cheap, you can go straight up Reservoir Dogs.

Jac
02-26-2012, 04:51 PM
CDNN has S&W 5906s for $299, so if you really want a 9mm and you want to keep it cheap, you can go straight up Reservoir Dogs.

Beat me to it... I was just checking their catalog to see if they were still offering those.

CStruthers
02-26-2012, 08:05 PM

Is it a good pistol? I mean it is only $100 for a used Glock 17. I think I may just go with the Glock 17 gen3 used, unless there is a better gun for the money

Kyle Reese
02-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Is it a good pistol? I mean it is only $100 more than a used Glock 17. I think I may just go with the Glock 17 gen3 used, unless there is a better gun for the money

I'd give CDNN (http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2012-1/index.html) a ring and see if they have a used Gen 3 Glock 17 in stock. Their catalog has them listed for $369.99.

Johnkard
02-27-2012, 07:11 AM
The concept of getting a 400$ range gun is a bit silly. Ammo is expensive, especially with a range markup, 400$ is going to look pretty small compared to what you'll spend on ammo if you go out shooting more than once a year.

Gen3 Glock 17 is great.

CZ-75 is easier to shoot if you can find one used (which you probably can't).

Smith and Wesson M&P is also easy to shoot and should be almost as easy as Glock to find used.

You could also look for something like a Makarov or a Walther PPK, both should be available for well below 400$ from the right source.

Yes, they aren't full framed...honestly If you're going for a full frame...you should just get a Glock...

Kyle Reese
02-28-2012, 05:58 PM
You could also look for something like a Makarov or a Walther PPK, both should be available for well below 400$ from the right source.

Yes, they aren't full framed...honestly If you're going for a full frame...you should just get a Glock..

I'd skip the Makarov or PPK. Both are antiquated designs that don't lend themselves well to high volume practice, and 9x18 & .380 ammunition are in the same (or often higher) price range than 9x19 practice or defensive ammunition. I have a 1961 East German Makarov that I'll never sell, but it's not in the same league as a Glock 17 / 19, IMHO.

Concur with your last about getting a Glock. :D

CStruthers
02-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Im pretty sure im going Glock 17, unless someone convinces me otherwise. Which by the looks of things nobody is against the Glock lol. Thank you all for the advise, I should be getting a hold of one in the next month, after I go to the range to shoot one and make sure its comfortable for me. The local range has about 15 9mm to choose from for rentals and its only $7 to rent as many as I want so that will be the deciding factor.

Kyle Reese
02-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Im pretty sure im going Glock 17, unless someone convinces me otherwise. Which by the looks of things nobody is against the Glock lol. Thank you all for the advise, I should be getting a hold of one in the next month, after I go to the range to shoot one and make sure its comfortable for me. The local range has about 15 9mm to choose from for rentals and its only $7 to rent as many as I want so that will be the deciding factor.

Good luck and be sure to let us know what ya get. :D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk