PDA

View Full Version : .22 Upper

ACP230
02-26-2012, 12:55 PM
After some messing around I got my used Chiappa .22 upper on a lower I had lying around.
Stuck a Tasco 4 power scope on it. Scope was also lying around.

Of course, it's snowing like crazy now and is expected to go on for a day or two. So no shooting for a while.

I'm hoping to use it for cheap practice for three gun with the AR and for general rifle practice.
Looks good so far. Supposed to use plated .22 ammo. I do have some Federal bulk pack plated hollowpoints put by.

I have not been a real fan of 16 inch ARs but the .22 feels pretty good.
May end up getting a 16 inch 5.56 upper to scope instead of the 20 inch I've been figuring on.

jar
02-26-2012, 04:50 PM
I have not been a real fan of 16 inch ARs but the .22 feels pretty good.
May end up getting a 16 inch 5.56 upper to scope instead of the 20 inch I've been figuring on.

Take a look at 18" barrels with rifle length gas systems. I find mine to be a good balance between the soft recoil of rifle length gas and the quicker handling of a shorter barrel.

ACP230
05-07-2012, 06:14 PM
The weather kept getting in my way but I finally shot the Chiappa .22 upper the other night.

It turned out to be shooting low and right but holding off got my son and I on the empty laundry soap jugs I brought for targets.
Chiappa specifies plated, high velocity ammo and I had Federal bulk from Wal-Mart, Winchester 333s, and a few CCI Mini Mags. (Most likely to be run with Federals since I have the most of them).
Worked fine with all of them, even with mixed mags. The two original 28 round mags worked fine, as well as a 15 round after market job that got
thrown in on the deal.

We stopped at a sand pit on the way to fish for brook trout so only shot 50 rounds, give or take. No problems, pretty good accuracy, and pretty much fun
to shoot. May end up raising the scope up a quarter inch, or so. Otherwise no changes appear necessary.

orionz06
05-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Playing around with a cheap Tasco and my TacSol upper I have been able to get dime sized groups at 50y with decent ammo and piss poor technique. Fun little blasters.